RWC Japan 2019, Tips please gentlemen...

If it's got balls, it's here
Shavenhead
Stew Ingredient

Re: RWC Japan 2019, Tips please gentlemen...

Post by Shavenhead » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:02 pm

Indeed.

For Christ's sake, pull yourselves towards yourselves.
"Don't be attracted to easy paths because the paths that make your feet bleed are the only way to get ahead in life" Saddam Hussein

Geoffers
Stew Ingredient

Post by Geoffers » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:03 pm

I used to put in the effort Steph, detailed match reports etc but all I got back was abuse so I gave up taking it seriously. Everyone else was glib or shallow, there didn’t seem to be another serious follower of the game. I’ll review my attitude on this forum, maybe get more serious again, especially for the WC.

Geoffers
Stew Ingredient

Post by Geoffers » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:07 pm

Or should I go NZ v Wales?

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:15 pm

The England camp are in training, excluding players from the top 4 teams involved in recent end of season games.

The big news is that he has left out the trio of Hartley, Care and Robshaw.

This could be seen as good news. For example, do England need Robshaw as an experienced No 6, when they have Mark Wilson and Brad Shields, with the extra cover of Itoje and Lawes.

The real positive is that they aren't trying to make Robshaw a No 7 anymore, when he is a 6.5 at best. And England now have real competition at Openside for the next decade with Underhill ve Curry. Although, not the battle hardened experience yet, and knowledge of the 'dirty arts' of No7 play.

But, Eddie has talked about a world cup winning side needing to be within a certain range of combined caps (800ish) And Robshaw, Hartley and Care combined are 250 to 300 caps.

Hartley hasn't played since December. But, I see him on the final plane as cover for 'fatbody' George. Who, as a hooker, knows his first role is to throw the ball straight.
Straight to his own player, of course.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:20 pm

Geoffers wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:03 pm
I used to put in the effort Steph, detailed match reports etc but all I got back was abuse so I gave up taking it seriously. Everyone else was glib or shallow, there didn’t seem to be another serious follower of the game. I’ll review my attitude on this forum, maybe get more serious again, especially for the WC.
Fair dues.

Maybe Luz will pop back.

And Harry will give his crusading a rest and be 'normal'

Shavenhead
Stew Ingredient

Post by Shavenhead » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:23 pm

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:15 pm
The England camp are in training, excluding players from the top 4 teams involved in recent end of season games.

The big news is that he has left out the trio of Hartley, Care and Robshaw.

This could be seen as good news. For example, do England need Robshaw as an experienced No 6, when they have Mark Wilson and Brad Shields, with the extra cover of Itoje and Lawes.

The real positive is that they aren't trying to make Robshaw a No 7 anymore, when he is a 6.5 at best. And England now have real competition at Openside for the next decade with Underhill ve Curry. Although, not the battle hardened experience yet, and knowledge of the 'dirty arts' of No7 play.

But, Eddie has talked about a world cup winning side needing to be within a certain range of combined caps (800ish) And Robshaw, Hartley and Care combined are 250 to 300 caps.

Hartley hasn't played since December. But, I see him on the final plane as cover for 'fatbody' George. Who, as a hooker, knows his first role is to throw the ball straight.
Straight to his own player, of course.
Chris Ashton is now also out.
"Don't be attracted to easy paths because the paths that make your feet bleed are the only way to get ahead in life" Saddam Hussein

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:41 pm

To be clear, Robshaw and Care aren't injured. They are available but weren't invited to a training camp. Not a good sign for them.

Not toi fussed about Ashton. Reason given is supporting his wife through her pregnancy. I hope that doesn't imply something is wrong.

Marler, who retired himself last year, at a young age for family reasons, might actually be back to provide cover for Sinckler at tighthead. Marler was picked in the recent Barbarians game, and is involved at other interesting events.

Shavenhead
Stew Ingredient

Post by Shavenhead » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:57 am

England have both France and Argentina in their group.

If I were you I'd be deeply worried about Argentina. Argentina is what should keep you up at night during the coming months.

jedgarandclyde
Stew Ingredient

Post by jedgarandclyde » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:14 am

It is only rare times that Jed calls it true?

It is just my opinion Geoff, it is just the way i see it......................................Simply that.

And i do think on all issues here i do try and speak the truth, not not be nationalistic and be a complete pain in there arse.
'There are plenty of people out there'..................Donald Trump

Free American Joe!!!

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:19 am

Shavenhead wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:57 am
England have both France and Argentina in their group.

If I were you I'd be deeply worried about Argentina. Argentina is what should keep you up at night during the coming months.
It's better than having Australia and Wales in your group like we did last time.

That was ridiculous to have them and England all in the same group.

Look at the state of the groups the others were in.

Anyway, I'd think if South Africa were to get Japan at home it would be squeaky bum time .

I don't know if its possible, but Lord if it is please make it happen. I'll promise to be a good boy.

Shavenhead
Stew Ingredient

Post by Shavenhead » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:22 am

You clearly haven't been following Super Rugby.

I'd be more worried about Argentina than Wales or Australia.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:29 am

Two teams qualify from each group. You should at least expect one tough match.

Arent the Argentinian franchise basically their national team?

They should be performing well at that level.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:30 am

Do you think South Africa will get fucked in the ass by the ABs?

Geoffers
Stew Ingredient

Post by Geoffers » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:41 am

That first match for the ABs v Boks could also end up being the Final, but with the opposite outcome.

Geoffers
Stew Ingredient

Post by Geoffers » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:48 am

Jed, you try not to be nationslistic? Yet you think the greatest football series in the World is a regional conflict in a minor code where half of the best players of that local competition are excluded? Hahahaha, you are so deluded.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:52 am

Jed is the kind of character they write sitcoms about.

Geoffers
Stew Ingredient

Post by Geoffers » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:35 pm

No, he’s the type of character that’s the ongoing joke in a sitcom.

Shavenhead
Stew Ingredient

Post by Shavenhead » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:19 pm

The Full Springbok training squad for Rugby Championship and Rugby World Cup - 39 players:

Forwards:
Schalk Brits (Vodacom Bulls), Marcell Coetzee (Ulster, Ireland), Lood de Jager (Vodacom Bulls), Thomas du Toit (Cell C Sharks), Pieter-Steph du Toit (DHL Stormers), Rynardt Elstadt (Toulouse, France), Eben Etzebeth (DHL Stormers), Lizo Gqoboka (Vodacom Bulls), Steven Kitshoff (DHL Stormers), Vincent Koch (Saracens, England), Siya Kolisi (DHL Stormers), Francois Louw (Bath), Frans Malherbe (DHL Stormers), Malcolm Marx (Emirates Lions), Bongi Mbonambi (DHL Stormers), Tendai Mtawarira (Cell C Sharks), Franco Mostert (Gloucester, England), Trevor Nyakane (Vodacom Bulls), Marvin Orie (Emirates Lions), Kwagga Smith (Emirates Lions), RG Snyman (Vodacom Bulls), Duane Vermeulen (Vodacom Bulls).

Backs:
Lukhanyo Am (Cell C Sharks), Damian de Allende (DHL Stormers), Andre Esterhuizen (Cell C Sharks), Faf de Klerk (Sale Sharks, England), Aphiwe Dyantyi (Emirates Lions), Warrick Gelant (Vodacom Bulls), Elton Jantjies (Emirates Lions), Herschel Jantjies (DHL Stormers), Cheslin Kolbe (Toulouse, France), Jesse Kriel (Vodacom Bulls), Dillyn Lleyds (DHL Stormers), Makazole Mapimpi (Cell C Sharks), Sibusiso Nkosi (Cell C Sharks), Willie le Roux (Toyota Verblitz, Japan), Handre Pollard (Vodacom Bulls), Cobus Reinach (Northampton Saints, England), Frans Steyn (Montpellier, France).

Excellent squad - great selection. 9 Bulls; 9 Stormers; 6 Sharks; 5 Lions and 10 Foreign Legionnaires.

Shavenhead
Stew Ingredient

Post by Shavenhead » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:14 am

I see James O'Connor might be getting another look in at the Wallabies for the RC and RWC:

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/if-i-was ... e-diamond/

Try and lay off the Coke James and focus on the game if they give you another look in.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:38 am

Danny Cipriani invited to training game.

Official squad due to be named on July 4th

Shavenhead
Stew Ingredient

Post by Shavenhead » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:56 am

Seems the All Blacks are due to announce their squad on Tuesday.

Shavenhead
Stew Ingredient

Post by Shavenhead » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:46 pm

The Full All Blacks training squad for Rugby Championship and Rugby World Cup - 39 players:

Forwards:
Asafo Aumua, Dane Coles, Liam Coltman, Codie Taylor, Owen Franks, Nepo Laulala, Joe Moody, Atu Moli, Angus Ta’avao, Karl Tu’inukuafe, Ofa Tu’ungafasi, Brodie Retallick, Patrick Tuipulotu, Samuel Whitelock, Jackson Hemopo, Sam Cane, Vaea Fifita, Shannon Frizell, Luke Jacobson, Dalton Papalii, Kieran Read (captain), Ardie Savea, Matt Todd.

Backs:
TJ Perenara, Aaron Smith, Brad Weber, Beauden Barrett, Josh Ioane, Richie Mo’unga, Jack Goodhue, Ngani Laumape, Anton Lienert-Brown, Sonny Bill Williams, Braydon Ennor, Jordie Barrett, George Bridge, Rieko Ioane, Sevu Reece, Ben Smith.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/exclusio ... eve-hansen

Shavenhead
Stew Ingredient

Post by Shavenhead » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:02 pm

The Full Wallabies training squad for Rugby Championship and Rugby World Cup - 34 players:

Backs:
Tom Banks, Dane Haylett-Petty, Reece Hodge, Kurtley Beale, Jack Maddocks, Marika Koroibete, Tevita Kuridrani, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Samu Kerevi, Matt Toomua, Bernard Foley, Christian Leali’ifano, Will Genia, Nic White, Joe Powell.

Forwards:
Isa Naisarani, Jack Dempsey, Michael Hooper, Liam Wright, Luke Jones, Rob Valetini, Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, Izack Rodda, Rob Simmons, Rory Arnold, Sekope Kepu, Allan Alaalatoa, Taniela Tupou, Scott Sio, James Slipper, Tom Robertson, Folau Fainga’a, Tolu Latu, Jordan Uelese.

No Quade Cooper, and no James O'Connor.

Shavenhead
Stew Ingredient

Post by Shavenhead » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:09 pm

The Full England training squad for the Rugby World Cup - 38 players:

Forwards:
Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs), Tom Curry (Sale Sharks), Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby), Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers), Jamie George (Saracens), Maro Itoje (Saracens), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), Lewis Ludlam (Northampton Saints), Joe Marler (Harlequins), Ben Moon (Exeter Chiefs), Brad Shields (Wasps), Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins), Jack Singleton (Saracens), Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby), Billy Vunipola (Saracens), Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs), Mark Wilson (Sale Sharks)

Backs:
Danny Cipriani (Gloucester Rugby), Joe Cokanasiga (Bath Rugby), Elliot Daly (Saracens), Owen Farrell (Saracens), George Ford (Leicester Tigers), Piers Francis (Northampton Saints), Willi Heinz (Gloucester Rugby), Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby), Jonny May (Leicester Tigers), Ruaridh McConnochie (Bath Rugby), Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs), Ben Spencer (Saracens), Ben Te'o (unattached), Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers), Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

Rehabilitation: Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs), George Kruis (Saracens), Mako Vunipola (Saracens).

I see three are in Rehab. Isn't it time England Rugby started to get on top of their drug problem?

Oh dear..

https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/marler-ear ... nd-recall/

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:24 pm

That's right, oh dear. Marler loves playing Saffers.

I revealed his inclusion was a strong possibility in an earlier post.

Good back up for Sinckler.

Geoffers
Stew Ingredient

Post by Geoffers » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:11 am

Brad Shields and Willie Heinz in the England team, two Kiwis who played their rugby in NZ including Super rugby, but couldn’t break into the All Blacks . You’re welcome to our castoffs, but they will always be Kiwis, never English, and they’ll always wish they were All Blacks.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:20 pm

Heinz will not be in the final squad.

Shields might make the bench.

I see you're back to your usual shtick

I think if this keeps up I'll just put you on ignore.

Shavenhead
Stew Ingredient

Post by Shavenhead » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:32 pm

Strife.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:34 pm

Good to see Jonathan Joseph and Anthony Watson back in the squad, after long recuperation.

Also, Cipriani would offer that x factor coming off the bench, than George Ford.

Mako needs to be fit. 2019 European player of the year.

andybox
Stew Ingredient

Post by andybox » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:06 am

Argentina are up for it. Who’s going to be the dark horse this year?

Shavenhead
Stew Ingredient

Post by Shavenhead » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:46 am

Can Australia beat Argentina tomorrow?

That might go some way to answering your question.

Geoffers
Stew Ingredient

Post by Geoffers » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:33 am

It should be close.
Back to the World Cup, I’m starting to think an ABs v Boks final is on the cards. I’m saying it today so as not appear influencesd by tomorrow’s result.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:40 am

Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

Geoffers
Stew Ingredient

Post by Geoffers » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:30 am

Cheers Hatter, good linc.
GO BLACK!!!!!

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:36 am

I will be watching this with interest.

I think I can speak for us all when I say it would be great to see the Boks beat NZ in the group stage, and then Ireland to send the sheep molesters home in the quarters.

As MLK once said "I have a dream today..."

Geoffers
Stew Ingredient

Post by Geoffers » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:26 pm

Can Ireland face Wales in the quarter finals?

andybox
Stew Ingredient

Post by andybox » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:49 am

I tipped an Aus NZ final last RWC, i’m tipping a Boks Aus final this year.

Geoffers
Stew Ingredient

Post by Geoffers » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:08 am

That’s the spirit Andy, how do you think the Wallabies will go against the Pumas today?

andybox
Stew Ingredient

Post by andybox » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:43 am

Geoffers wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:08 am
That’s the spirit Andy, how do you think the Wallabies will go against the Pumas today?
I think we will win, but only due to having a home ground advantage. The current Pumas team are lethal.

Geoffers
Stew Ingredient

Post by Geoffers » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:55 am

Agreed, I think the Wallabies are in disarray and will lose today, but will pull themselves together and after successive losses against the ABs to get into the World Cup semifinals.

andybox
Stew Ingredient

Post by andybox » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:26 am

Yeah they’re a weird team, always on the back foot during the Rugby Championship and Bledisloe yet turn up as a force to be reckoned with come RWC time.

Shavenhead
Stew Ingredient

Post by Shavenhead » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:03 pm

Very interesting analysis of the dress rehearsal of the RWC final:

https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/former-all ... -are-back/

Unless...

Is there anyone else? Ireland? Wales?

Geoffers
Stew Ingredient

Post by Geoffers » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:13 am

Hey Shaven, I said that on Friday, before the test. The Boks v All Blacks for the World Cup Final.

Shavenhead
Stew Ingredient

Post by Shavenhead » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:52 am

From what I've seen after watching last year's Autumn internationals and this year's six nations, the only ones who may spoil the party are Wales.

Ireland with an outside chance.

Geoffers
Stew Ingredient

Post by Geoffers » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:25 pm

The problem for NH teams is lack of experience in semis and finals. But as England showed in the cricket, maybe that’s not as important as I think it is.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:49 pm

England have been in 3 finals.

France have been in 3 also

The problems are converting.

I made a funny!

andybox
Stew Ingredient

Post by andybox » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:16 am

Out of all the teams reaching a RWC final, only the Boks are undefeated, having won 2 from 2 appearances.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:19 am

Plus, they missed the first two

Because they're racists.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:55 am

Unlike Brexit Britain
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

Geoffers
Stew Ingredient

Post by Geoffers » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:58 am

How many of the current players have been in a final? That France were in the 87 final means nothing to the current team.