Hawaii?

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Re: Hawaii?

Post by Chip_Oatley » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:46 am

Rough? Weather-wise or people-wise? The Airbnb people seem nice. I've booked a vehicle. And I'm flying back to the mainland from KOA, so will end the trip in Kona. 68K miles/points for First Class all the way back to the east coast!

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:02 am

Waianae was one of the last places native Hawaiians were pushed into as the Big 5 and missionaries took over the island (it’s dry and no good harbors). It’s still very Hawaiian and poor. Lots of homeless. I used to go out there to the beaches and to hike and never had any problems, though. But, if I was watching the news and something awful happened, like murder/child abuse/ dog fighting, it usually happened in Waianae.

Oahu has some amazing hikes. Although you can’t drive to the tops of the mountains, you can drive part way up on the water service roads and hike the rest.
This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:07 am

Chip_Oatley wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:46 am
Rough? Weather-wise or people-wise? The Airbnb people seem nice. I've booked a vehicle. And I'm flying back to the mainland from KOA, so will end the trip in Kona. 68K miles/points for First Class all the way back to the east coast!
I meant the ocean waves can be rough. Waimea Bay is notorious for giant waves that cross the highway in the winter. Too big to swim, really. And they have nothing to do with the local weather, coming all the way from giant storms in the Aleutians.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:14 am

Err, well, I'll be in Waianae for two nights.

I see the ferry is no more. Flying only way to go HNL to KOA? Luggage fees will get me.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:29 am

Oahu is getting two-foot wind waves from the NE, which is normal.
https://www.ventusky.com/?p=20.77;-156. ... 90206/0600

And 10-foot swell waves from the north-NE. Dangerous, but doable on the right beach. The North Shore looks safe in that swell. Stay away from Kaena Point though.
https://www.ventusky.com/?p=20.77;-156. ... 90206/0600
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:54 am

Waimea is like a lake in the summer.

KoOlina is nearby and has some sheltered lagoon beaches but you have to brave the Disney resort theme. It was fine when it was just lagoons and there was no funding for the resort and timeshares.

Waianae could be really interesting. I haven’t been back there in a long time. I’m sure there’s been a lot of change.

The only ferry I’m aware of goes Maui-Molokai. There was going to be more but people fought against it. There should least be an Oahu-Maui ferry.
This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:11 am

Lost Soul wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:29 am
The North Shore looks safe in that swell.
i watched a volcom sponsored surfing contest at sunset beach today. there were a few surfers, lots of tv crews and lots of spectators. twas fun. then i went over to waimea bay and sunned my bums. the waves weren't as massive as i was expecting.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:10 pm

Lost Soul wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:29 am
Homerj wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:31 pm
BI ...I think staying in Kona, Kailua or Waikaloa is best because its on the dry side of the island (Hilo is the wettest place in America).
Hilo gets ~125 inches per year. Lots of towns in SE Alaska are wetter. One small one gets 230 inches. Ketchikan gets ~150, Yakutat gets ~150, Cordova gets ~160 and Whittier ~200 inches.

Sea level is too hot for me. Find a BNB place above Kona where the rain forest starts at 2000 feet and up. Perfect weather. Same/same south of Hilo about 10 miles.
I stand corrected.
Look I have a zillion hotel points so mostly stay in Marriotts/Starwood/Hilton/Hyatt properties cuz I stay for free or on cash + points rates, so I'm quite up to date on those types of properties but rarely know anything about Air bnb type acommadations.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:37 pm

Chip_Oatley wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:14 am
Err, well, I'll be in Waianae for two nights.

I see the ferry is no more. Flying only way to go HNL to KOA? Luggage fees will get me.
You just missed a seat sale....KOA-HNL o/w $59.00 on Hawaiin
Keep looking...they come up every 2-3 weeks or sign up for their emails to give u notice.
Why not just take a carry on if u want to avoid the $30 baggage fee?

BTW thanks S8 and Scrubber for the manta update...last time we were there at the Sheraton they were like the big sea turtles at Napilli....always there everyday.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:12 pm

Homerj wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:37 pm
As I said, I'm flying back to the mainland from KOA. I have not been "home" in a few months. I have two bags plus a laptop backpack.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:37 am

Ah, Delta partner. I can use points.
Oops, looks like I cannot afford Kauai.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:13 pm

Chip_Oatley wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:12 pm
Homerj wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:37 pm
As I said, I'm flying back to the mainland from KOA. I have not been "home" in a few months. I have two bags plus a laptop backpack.
Got it.
Ya you're screwed.
You may want to consider the E+ or even biz class on Hawaiin, as the extra $60 or $70 in bag fees might be the difference to go up a fair class where the bags are included.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:35 pm

What’s your budget? If it’s low, the Puna area south of Hilo is your best shot on the BI.

We’re heading to Kona in two weeks for a break from the snow.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:30 pm

I'd like to keep it under $80 per night, with splurges when needed.

Homer, you missed my post just under the post to which you responded. tl;dr: I'm not "screwed"

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:18 am

I just booked my trip to Hawaii in 2031 via high speed rail.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:35 am

Yeah, $80 is gonna be tough.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:09 am

Chip_Oatley wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:30 pm
I'd like to keep it under $80 per night, with splurges when needed.
The time to see Hawaii is in the off season, aka summer, or at least April to October.

The only thing that changes in Hawaii is that the waves shrink, and hit different shores. Waikiki gets decent waves in the summer if there is a hurricane off of Baja.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:03 am

Keep in mind that the Big Island is indeed BIG. So, if you want to spend a lot of time, say, at the volcano, I would recommend staying not too far from there, at least for when you want to stay.

Kukuihaele and the Waipo Valley up north on the Big Island must have good hiking. I did a little hiking, but not a whole day thing.

I would love to hike over the volcano crater in Hawaii, go up on the the west side and hike down on the Hilo side.

On Kauai, I remember I found a place just over $50 a night. A very small hotel- maybe 4 rooms. That was about 15 years ago, though. That same trip, I also stayed in one of these old hotels in Waikiki for not much more. A medium rise well past its glory days, but it was still okay.

Why not look into some camping if you want to save the $
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:59 am

Godjira wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:03 am
Why not look into some camping if you want to save the $
I have read not good things about campsite safety, plus need to buy and haul gear.

fishface
Stew Ingredient

Post by fishface » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:43 am

Hope you have a wonderful trip, chip. I was briefly considering a trip there as there's been sales for $500 return tickets (Air NZ vs Hawaiian Airlines) and I didn't want to pass that up. However, looking at accommodation would have killed the benefit of a cheap airfare. Still it was good to keep in mind and I have been reading this with interest.

Also I can't drive and it looked difficult without a car.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:39 pm

Airbnb shows some deals in places that are nice but not usual visitor destinations like Honokaa and Naalehu. Slim pickings, though.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:31 pm

I will have to forfeit Kanui flight (used points).
Now doing 3 nights Oahu, 6 Big Is.
Flying HNL to Hilo and out of Kona. Have nights booked in Volcano.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:55 am

The North Shore is currently seeing 30-foot swells. Lucky you.

Makapu Point is the better option in that.

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=19.7;-152.4 ... 90211/0000
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:14 am

When big surf hits the island slows down and people throng the north shore. It can be fun if you aren’t trying to get anywhere.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:16 am

It sounds like there’s a crazy storm right now. All the county beaches are closed on the BI and there’s snow on upland Maui which is virtually unheard of.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:21 am

There is a nice L north of Oahu, bringing 45 MPH winds from the north and frigid 62 F temps.

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=19.7;-152.4 ... 90211/0000
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:50 am

Well, here's the itinerary so far. Please tell me what to avoid or change based on the storm and stuff. Remember, I have never been to Hawaii and the shorthand terms are Greek to me. "North shore" refers to which island? BI I know.
I arrive in HNL Tuesday morning and have a car rental set up. I have booked an Airbnb in the aforementioned rough area in W. Oahu. It gets great reviews and looks nice. However, I may--if I can--push that by a day and stay in Waikiki to get over the jetlag. I do know that it takes about 90 minutes to drive to that Airbnb. I would like to see what I can around Honolulu but may limit that to a day/day and a half. Flight to BI--Hilo S8 b/c you love the dump-- booked for the afternoon of the 15th so that I can look around Honolulu that day.
I just booked a rental car from Hilo, drop off in Kona. Expensive but not terrible. Booked three nights at a highly rated Airbnb (50 bucks!) near the volcano. I guess the nights may be cool?
Then I'll wander over to Kona. I have three nights and will need to book something soon--suggestions? I think the flight to the west coast is overnight.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:31 am

The North Shore is NW Oahu, from Haleiwa to Kahuku Point, 15 miles. If the surf is too huge to swim, head to a coast aimed in a different direction. The island is small.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:36 am

They are seeing 60 foot waves tonight, but lowering tomorrow as the L moves east.
HIGH SURF WARNING FOR NORTH AND WEST FACING SHORES
HIGH SURF ADVISORY FOR SOUTH FACING SHORES

Surf along north facing shores will be 40 to 60 feet tonight, lowering to 25 to 35 feet Monday.

Surf along west facing shores will be 30 to 40 feet tonight, lowering to 16 to 22 feet Monday.

Surf along east facing shores will be 4 to 7 feet with much higher waves along shorelines with a north exposure through Monday.

Surf along south facing shores will be 5 to 8 feet tonight, lowering to 2 to 4 feet Monday.
https://www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl/pages/SRF.php
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:57 am

They used measure the back of the wave, not the front. 20’ in Hawaii was closer to 40’ elsewhere. If they are 60’ they must have switched to haole style.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:16 am

Not sure it’d be worth overnighting in Waikiki. It’s closer but not super close, and it can be a pain in the ass to navigate if you don’t know the area. Also, parking is $$$$ and often not included with rentals. Street parking is available but you have to know where and when (I used to be an expert).

If you have a full day you could easily drive around the island. It’d be a lot of car time but it’s a scenic drive and there’s a million places to stop. If the surf is high the North Shore (always of Oahu, world famous surfing from Haleiwa to kahuku) might be interesting. Big waves and the surf scene out in full effect. You could leave Waianae early and go against most of the traffic. You could make a full loop but the timing might put you heading west during rush hour. If so, there’s million places to stop and have dinner before getting back in the freeway. You could also double back the way you came or take the H-3 from Kaneohe which would at least be partially opposite rush hour. There’s a Buddhist temple in Kaneohe that is in a spectacular setting. Around Kahuku there are trucks that sell shrimp that are raised nearby. They are usually pretty good but nothing mind blowing.

The eastern end of the island has excellent beaches of all types and stuff like kayaking but you may fine to skip beaches.

Traffic in Honolulu is horrendous and rush hour is from 3-6.

Honolulu has some good museums. The Bishop Museum has some incredible stuff. Bam is in Kalihi, which is predominantly Filipino, and is close to Chinatown which still has some of the original Chinese orgs and businesses, and is also now heavily Vietnamese. Sections of it have gentrified and it’s got a food scene coming. Lots of great places to eat, wet markets, and stuff like that. One of my professors grew up in Chinatown and was a young kid during World War II. He retired and starting leading tours of the area. It may not sound exciting but the one he did for our class was incredible. He had some crazy stories.

The Doris Duke has good art from across Asia.

The university is a nice setting if you wanted someplace park-like for a bit. North of the campus at the back of manoa valley is Lyon Arboretum. I covered that in a botanical garden thread here.

I’m a fan of Waikiki. There’s a lot more going on there than people give credit for. It’s been fancied up a bit in recent years, but it’s still fun.

I haven’t been, but I’ve been told by friends from japan who know food that the new food court at the Ala Moana Center is an absolute clinic in Japanese food. It’s on my must-dos next time I’m there.

There’s great hikes all over the place. Some take you up to the tops of the palis, some are coastal walks.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:35 am

section8 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:57 am
They used measure the back of the wave, not the front. 20’ in Hawaii was closer to 40’ elsewhere. If they are 60’ they must have switched to haole style.
Yeah, I noticed that too. I'm thinking ventusky measures the swell in moak, whereas NOAA has switched to haole units.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:11 am

section8 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:16 am
I’m a fan of Waikiki. There’s a lot more going on there than people give credit for. It’s been fancied up a bit in recent years, but it’s still fun.

I haven’t been, but I’ve been told by friends from japan who know food that the new food court at the Ala Moana Center is an absolute clinic in Japanese food. It’s on my must-dos next time I’m there.

There’s great hikes all over the place. Some take you up to the tops of the palis, some are coastal walks.
i just spent a week in waikiki. i met some aussie bff's there and had a grand time. yes, waikiki has done a complete 180 over the past few years ... in that it is now super clean, very upscale, totally safe ... and just so high-end now. well, yeah, there are a few homeless people, and there is always the smell of pot in the air in the evenings, but still. the royal hawaiian mega open air shopping center is really really nice - and has some really really great restos too. the restaurant offerings in and about waikiki have all stepped up.

michael mina (yes, him) has a food court in waikiki ('the international market place') in the new super fancy international market place mall. remember the old international market place that used to sell a lot of souvenirs and junk? well, it is now a super high-end mall anchored by a saks fifth avenue.

ala moana has gone beyond upscale now. it is super fancy. there are actually several food courts. the newest one (?) is the size of a normal mall's food court and offers up japanese, hawaiian and other great food options. the mega food court on the lower level also serves up lots of great choices.

we rented a car for a day and did the drive all around the island. we kind of mimicked the itin on this tour:
https://www.robertshawaii.com/oahu/tour ... land-tour/
my aussie friends had tips on some amazing beaches (that not many tourists know about), and we stopped at those beaches too. i don't remember the names though. the drive itself went rather quickly. the island is small.

you should do the hike up diamond head. that was pretty fucking amazing. we took an uber to/from the hike starting point. the hike to the top is around 40 minutes. we sprinted and got to the top in 20 minutes (sweating profusely, of course).

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:50 am

Above I said "hike over the crater in Hawaii", I meant in Maui.
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:25 am

I'll need to buy warmer clothes!

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:23 am

Really, Today saw the lowest snow sticking in the history of Hawaii- 6200 feet ASL, on Maui.

The previous lowest was 9000 feet. So it's 10F colder than ever before.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:03 pm

Ya I don't want to be one of those people who wanted to see the sun rise on Haleakula yesterday....or even more fun is the doing the bike ride down.
"are there snow tires on this bike???!!!"

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:46 pm

Tagging onto Chips thread.

Three choices in airlines:
United
Hawaiian
Alaska

SFO to HNL

Which would you choose?
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:10 pm

Alaska

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:42 pm

SFO-HNL:

HA uses an A330. width 16.5 to 18. pitch 31.
UA uses a domestic 777. width 17.1. pitch 31.
AS uses a 737-900. width 17. pitch 32-35.

i have heard good things about HA and their nice roomy A330s. UA service sucks. AS gets ok reviews that are somewhat declining now.

you will also want to consider which program you want to put your miles into. with HA, you can save your miles to their program or jetblue's (or a few others) program. with UA, you can save into their own program. with AS, you can save your miles to their program or AA (and a few others).

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:49 pm

Thanks to both of you. We don't fly enough and are not brand loyal enough to really worry about the miles. I suspect the way this will work out is buying a series of one way fares as we plan to fly BWI to SO, SO to HNL and HNL to BWI. Probably more than one carrier.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:30 am

Update: I'm in Volcano (the village) for three days. I just spent the day at the NP--love it so far. There is no active lava now, and roads etc. are damaged so there are closures--BUT I just happened to be in the VC when Ranger Mike announced that they had just reopened the trail down to the caldera floor, and he'd be leading a tour shortly. 2 miles round-trip. Also walked the closed-to-vehicles Crater Rim from Devastation to the lookout and back.

My three days in Oahu were OK. Waianae was indeed rough, generally, with tons of tents on beaches and burned out cars here and there. The Airbnb was OK. 3rd night was in Waikiki and a hotel splurge, and I did get to meet my 93-yo cousin. It turned out that her condo was right next door to my hotel. But, I did Waikiki and the rest of Honolulu short shrift due to flight the next day. Also, weather.

Stan, I recommend eating at Seven Brothers on the north shore.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:53 pm

There’s been talk about hitting the reset button on the development and use patterns at the park since so much of it is damaged or potentially at greater risk than thought. What’s there has been slowly patched on over the past hundred years. It’d be interesting to see what they’d come up with.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:25 pm

Damaged/at risk from tourism, or earthquakes/eruptions?

No big buses in sight, so that's good.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:28 pm

Both.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:47 pm

Chip_Oatley wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:30 am
Stan, I recommend eating at Seven Brothers on the north shore.
Thanks.

Stan

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:49 pm

section8 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:53 pm
There’s been talk about hitting the reset button on the development and use patterns at the park since so much of it is damaged or potentially at greater risk than thought. What’s there has been slowly patched on over the past hundred years. It’d be interesting to see what they’d come up with.
Sec8. my guess is they are unlikely to do anything major by July since the Fed doesn't tend to move that fast but if you hear anything that would negatively effect a stay in the area please let me know.

Thanks

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:24 pm

I asked about this. Stan, I don't think it's something that would negatively affect your stay--seems to be about keeping so many cars off the roads, like in Zion NP where they run shuttles around the park at high season, or in others where they're limiting cars. The little, old visitors' center at Volcanoes was overwhelmed the other day.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:28 pm

It would be years out. Probably 3-5 before it starts unless their delegation gets things fast tracked. Even then it would be a year or two before any construction would start.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:30 pm

From yesterday: