Japan 2018

Point, shoot, leave.
EMG
Stew Ingredient

Japan 2018

Post by EMG » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:59 am

Never really did post many photos from Japan so I thought I'd dump some here.

This was Japan December 2018. I flew into and out of Narita. Stayed overnight or took day trips to Nagano, Nagoya, Kyoto, and Kobe.

Day 1 in Tokyo. I stayed in Taito which is a bit out of the way, a quieter area of Tokyo, but the hotels were pretty affordable. I visited Roppongi Hills and a few other areas.

Day 2 I went up to Kaurizawa, which is on the way to Nagano, for snowboarding. It wasn't snowing yet but this resort has snow machines that pump out artificial snow when it gets cold enough to stay frozen. It ended up snowing about 2 weeks later, I was just a bit early. The snowboarding was fun anyway and the small town had some good food, but not much to do there otherwise.

Day 3 I headed to Nagoya, where I would be based for the next 3 days. From Nagoya I did day trips to Kyoto and Kobe.

Nagoya is very colorful. Big enough town to have some nightlife but not as massive as Tokyo.

Kobe (where Kobe beef comes from)

Kyoto is particularly charming and scenic.

To end the week I headed back to Tokyo and visited Shibuya. I stayed in Ota which is also (like Taito) sort of out-of-the-way as far as Tokyo goes. Less touristy and more working class.

Overall Japan is probably my favorite country to visit in Asia (of the dozen or so I've been to). The food was as amazing as I remembered it, everything works perfectly and the streets are clean and everything is so well organized, people are friendly though English is very limited making conversation difficult.

It's a fairly expensive country to travel in, but I'd go again and again.

erkat
Stew Ingredient

Re: Japan 2018

Post by erkat » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:04 am

Great photos

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:04 am

Thanks mate, the family have Japan on the list to go to next, great to see some cool photos
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:20 am

Excellent.

פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally - It would be delightful to cl yo a cunt to your face.

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:27 pm

Outstanding. Did you try the Kobe beef while you were there?

Almost 100% of the shit that they pass off as Kobe in the US is not really Kobe.
Hairy wrote:spotting a utter tosspot is as easy as looking in the mirror
Oneball wrote:Well shove the warning up your arse. I won't be coming back.
Annotated wrote:By the end of Trump's first term in office, Rocket Man will have rockets no more ... one way or the other. Guaranteed.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:56 pm

Moethebartender wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:27 pm
Outstanding. Did you try the Kobe beef while you were there?

Almost 100% of the shit that they pass off as Kobe in the US is not really Kobe.
Yep, I did. That's the photo I posted with the wine glass in front of the chef. In fact I went to Kobe just to eat some Kobe beef, snapped a few photos around the city center, and then left.

It can get mind boggling expensive. I went into this restaurant and sat down, the chef handed me a menu and pointed to a few prime cut recommendations which were between $150-$250+ per steak. And not very big steaks either.

After I hesitated he pointed to some of the more affordable options, which were still far from cheap.

I enjoyed the experience though. It was just me and the chef there, each bite is served individually with recommendations on how to eat it (this one with wasabi, this one with a garlic chip, etc). And the steak is very good.

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:01 pm

EMG wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:59 am
Overall Japan is probably my favorite country to visit in Asia (of the dozen or so I've been to). The food was as amazing as I remembered it, everything works perfectly and the streets are clean and everything is so well organized, people are friendly though English is very limited making conversation difficult.

It's a fairly expensive country to travel in, but I'd go again and again.
what AMAZING photos. thanks for sharing.

i totally agree with you in that japan is my favourite country to visit in asia. actually, it is the only country i want to (and will ever want to) visit in asia. i am glad you got to experience the hustle and bustle of tokyo and other cities (with less stress and fewer people). and the food...! yes the food...! your food pics looked fab. tokyo is one of my fave cities in the world. i love japan for its organization, respectful people, orderly people that do not push and shove, safety, cleanliness, hygiene, good food, good transport, great airports (NRT, HND, KIX), etc. those are the things that i like.

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:27 pm

That would have been very cool. I knew the shit was off the hook expensive, but I'd love to try it sometime. There's no regulation around that in the US, so a lot of restaurants are slapping a Kobe label on regular steak and charging big premiums for it without any justification. I even saw Kobe hot dogs on the menu at a Jeremy Remy's sports bar in Boston. I'm like, they don't even make shit like that out of Kobe. Anyone who thinks they've eaten it in the US almost certainly hasn't actually gotten what they paid for.
Annotated wrote:By the end of Trump's first term in office, Rocket Man will have rockets no more ... one way or the other. Guaranteed.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:28 pm

Happy to share, Cummy.

This was my second trip to Japan. The first time around, about 3 or 4 years ago, I spent almost a week in Tokyo, staying in a hotel in Shinjuku and exploring the city by train.

I enjoyed getting out of Tokyo this time around and seeing the smaller cities. The bullet trains are incredibly efficient and clean, like everything else, and with a 1 week JR Pass which cost me just over $200, I saved hundreds of dollars on taking bullet trains every day.
(Especially nice when I fell asleep TWICE on one trip and missed my stop in two directions).

There are plenty of Asian destinations I love, but Japan is so different from the others in how everything functions and seems to be designed so intuitively that you're almost never even mildly inconvenienced.

Only exception may be catching city trains on a busy rush hour evening. Prepare for some (respectful) forceful crushing on the train.
Last edited by EMG on Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:32 pm

Moethebartender wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:27 pm
That would have been very cool. I knew the shit was off the hook expensive, but I'd love to try it sometime. There's no regulation around that in the US, so a lot of restaurants are slapping a Kobe label on regular steak and charging big premiums for it without any justification. I even saw Kobe hot dogs on the menu at a Jeremy Remy's sports bar in Boston. I'm like, they don't even make shit like that out of Kobe. Anyone who thinks they've eaten it in the US almost certainly hasn't actually gotten what they paid for.
They do it here in the Philippines as well. People will call any old chunk of beef wagyu because no tells them they're wrong. Some guy at a night market selling 'wagyu brisket sandwiches' for $2 or $3 made of tough local beef.

There is one very upscale restaurant near my place that sells real wagyu which is flown in from Japan. You choose the steak by the region it was raised in Japan and the restaurant is run by the Japanese importer.

But lunch for two will easily set you back $200. And that's if you take it easy.

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:42 pm

There's no place anywhere close to me that has the real thing:
Today only nine businesses in the U.S. serve the real thing, according to the Kobe Beef Marketing & Distribution Promotion Association. They include restaurants in the Wynn Las Vegas, Nick and Sam's Steakhouse in Dallas, the MGM Resorts International in Las Vegas, Bazaar Meat by José Andrés in Las Vegas, the three-location Alexander's Steakhouse, 212 Steakhouse in New York City, and Teppanyaki Ginza Onodera in Honolulu. (The first Canadian restaurant to receive Kobe certification, Park in Montreal, did so earlier this year.)
Link

I guess Vegas is my best bet domestically, at least for the near future.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:03 pm

Now that you mention it, I had to check the one near me. They don't serve the Kobe brand of wagyu. They serve Omi, Saga and Kagoshima. It runs between $30-$50 per 100 grams. So a couple of 200 or 300 gram steaks will set you well back.

Add a bottle of wine and an appetizer and you get the idea.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:47 pm

Excellent photos EMG...you clearly have an eye for a good picture.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:31 am

Thanks Lincoln. All shot with my cell phone camera.

ceylon_tea
Stew Ingredient

Post by ceylon_tea » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:11 pm

Japan is my favourite country in the world. looks lovely as ever.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:07 pm

Definitely in my top 5. Maybe top 3.

Cyllarus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Cyllarus » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:08 pm

Great pictures. Brings back lots of memories of my year working for Japanese govt. have only been back once and that was in 2008. High on the list for return visit.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:19 pm

My problem with Japan is it was just a cleaner version of Taiwan.
Lots of concrete buildings, really crowded, big mountains and very good food.
I really like it there but it just wasn't different enough to inspire repeat visits.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:47 am

I prefer the food in Japan vs. Taiwan. Not that Taiwan is bad at all, it ranks high on my list, but I'd give Japan the edge.

I would like to get back to Taiwan though and see more of it than just Taipei, which is all I did last time.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:51 am

Beautiful fall photos. Thanks. I'll do it someday.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

RandomThoughts
Stew Ingredient

Post by RandomThoughts » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:56 am

Great photos!
Self proclaimed PS wallflower

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:21 pm

Thanks!

Mike Hunt
Stew Ingredient

Post by Mike Hunt » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:37 pm

Lovely photos, EMG. Thanks for sharing.

I always liked those cold soba noodles, but could never replicate the sauce.
Please revert to us in case of any query related to the RFP

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:24 am

Yes I love the cold soba as well, eat it frequently.

I think the sauce is just light soy, wasabi, and green onion isn't it?

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:38 am

REally good pics. The food pics look soooooooooo good.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

Lulu
Pain in the ass

Post by Lulu » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:09 am

Well done EMG
I was lost and measure for measure
Love spewed from the heart of me

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:10 am