Sleeping in airports/aka the early morning flight thread

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Re: Sleeping in airports/aka the early morning flight thread

Post by Lincoln » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:17 pm

I have a similar situation coming up in June but kind of the reverse of the Op's situation....

I fly back from Austria to the UK and land around 11pm at Gatwick...by the time I go through passport control and recover my car and drive to Brighton for th pissup it'll be 2am so there's no way I'm paying for a hotel for such a short space on time so I plan to skip in my car until midday and then check in to the hotel thereby saving me,oh I don't know,Nifty 50 pounds.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:02 pm

leela wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:57 pm
Homerj wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:17 pm
You folks do realize that there are hotels that are actually in or part of the airport right?
Yes. And they cost like £120 a night. For one person. C'mon homer, we're not all you. I'm a retired teacher, ffs.

ETA I was wrong. The airport hotel at Bangkok is £150 a night. And I'd be getting up at 3am at the latest.
My mom is a retired teacher as well I'll have you know.
And lets not kid ourselves Leela, you can afford 120-150 pounds a night on a retired teachers pension, you just choose not to spend that much.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:51 pm

I have enough to do that, of course. But it would be madness to throw that sort of money at three or four hours sleep, given my income.

So yes it's a choice, but for someone on a limited income, it would be stupid to spend that much.
Pass the wine...

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:23 pm

I thought of this thread yesterday b/c of a Facebook group for expat Americans in Australia.

A young woman wrote that she has an early-morning interview in Sydney this week, and lives up the coast. She was clearly angling for a place to crash, and there's nothing wrong with that, and she did get a few legit offers (from women). But oh, some of the comments. A man wrote: "Just go out the night before and meet a nice guy. :-)" Another (clueless person) : "NO way you will find anything less than $100. Just stay up all night in an 'Internet Cafe'--no one will bother you." Yeah, ok.

Another: "YWCA." The Young Women's Christian Association--does that exist, anyplace?

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:37 pm

leela wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:51 pm
I have enough to do that, of course. But it would be madness to throw that sort of money at three or four hours sleep, given my income.

So yes it's a choice, but for someone on a limited income, it would be stupid to spend that much.
I agree but you are not of limited income, you can afford it.
We all choose what we think it is worth spending our money on....I have no problem with someone saying 120 pounds is not worth spending to get 3-4 hours sleep.
My point was it wasn't even listed as an option, when it clearly is.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:55 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:17 pm
I have a similar situation coming up in June but kind of the reverse of the Op's situation....

I fly back from Austria to the UK and land around 11pm at Gatwick...by the time I go through passport control and recover my car and drive to Brighton for th pissup it'll be 2am so there's no way I'm paying for a hotel for such a short space on time so I plan to skip in my car until midday and then check in to the hotel thereby saving me,oh I don't know,Nifty 50 pounds.
The Nifty Fifty Pounds is enough to buy you a Nifty good amount of weed.
Steveo is my name, and golf is my game.

Electrolyte
Sole Guardian of Truth and Sanity

Post by Electrolyte » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:53 pm

leela wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:52 pm
though more expensive than each of the three options

https://www.expedia.com/Bangkok-Hotels- ... nformation
?? When I check the rate is USD 21. If that is correct then this is an awesome option.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:00 pm

Electrolyte wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:53 pm
leela wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:52 pm
though more expensive than each of the three options

https://www.expedia.com/Bangkok-Hotels- ... nformation
?? When I check the rate is USD 21. If that is correct then this is an awesome option.
That's for the daytime slot. ( 10am-5pm) Overnight (6pm to 9am) is twice the price.
Pass the wine...

Electrolyte
Sole Guardian of Truth and Sanity

Post by Electrolyte » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:28 pm

Still a great option. I guess that's why they seem to be mostly sold out.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:19 pm

Yep. I managed to book the last overnight pod, and that was more than six weeks in advance.
Pass the wine...

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:27 pm

Top tip: if you don't need all the hours (9 pm-6 am), put it on Airbnb to recoup the cost. Or, put it in Shared Rooms.

bundes
Stew Ingredient

Post by bundes » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:25 am

Chip_Oatley wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:27 pm
Top tip: if you don't need all the hours (9 pm-6 am), put it on Airbnb to recoup the cost. Or, put it in Shared Rooms.
Wtf.

If you need to do that to 'recoup costs' I don't think you should be going on a vacation.

Top tip! Take the toilet paper from the airport home to recoup the bottle of water you bought.

Fuck some of you people are cheap and weird.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:10 am

You are not a smart person.

TheRedWoman
Stew Ingredient

Post by TheRedWoman » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:27 am

bundes wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:25 am
Chip_Oatley wrote:
Wtf.

If you need to do that to 'recoup costs' I don't think you should be going on a vacation.

Top tip! Take the toilet paper from the airport home to recoup the bottle of water you bought.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Vron: "I wouldn't crush you under my heel Seamus. The smell"

"I believe you. You seem like more of a bukake girl. :P" - SeAnusMcStool

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:08 pm

bundes wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:25 am
Chip_Oatley wrote:
Wtf.

Mwuh! That's a kiss cuz we don't have a kiss emoticon.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:41 pm

Okay guys, next question about this trip. I'm going to be flying in to Bangkok from Phnomh Penh to get this flight. I'm fairly nervous about non-linked flights, and some airlines out of PP seem to have pretty dodgy cancellation records. I'm happy to spend a few hours in the city between flights in order to provide a decent cushion. And probably will spend a bit more to avoid the cheap but unreliable ones.

Would you aim to get to Bangkok at a) 9am b) noon c) 3pm d) 7pm or e) 8:40pm (the last flight with that airline)?
Pass the wine...

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:04 pm

I'd go for the noon flight ,that way you have a decent nights sleep the night before...get into Bangkok at a decent hour and go have a nice massage around Thanon Rambhutri for 4 quid...you can snear at the backpackers on KSR and eat some last minute quality food before heading back to the airport. with zero stress.

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:05 pm

Okay guys, next question about this trip. I'm going to be flying in to Bangkok from Phnomh Penh to get this flight. I'm fairly nervous about non-linked flights, and some airlines out of PP seem to have pretty dodgy cancellation records. I'm happy to spend a few hours in the city between flights in order to provide a decent cushion. And probably will spend a bit more to avoid the cheap but unreliable ones.
I flew Bangkok Airways out of PP and they were pretty reliable but that as in 2004.

I wold avoid that last flight. if it's canceled, you will be sleeping at the airport
DCComic's wish for 2019: 1 bullet 1 Jew

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:22 pm

I'd take the last flight because I like Phnom Penh. If you want to make sure you get here, take the first flight. There's less chances of it not flying on time for reasons that are caused by problems at other airports. Realistically, it probably wouldn't matter, just pick a time that you're comfortable with.
Oneball wrote:I'll put the size of my testicles up against yours any day
TemperTantrumHandle2 wrote:Just as well you inherited your money, eh?

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:36 pm

polardude1 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:05 pm
I flew Bangkok Airways out of PP and they were pretty reliable but that as in 2004.

I wold avoid that last flight. if it's canceled, you will be sleeping at the airport
Yeah. It's Bangkok Airlines that seem to be the most reliable of the offerings. At the moment they're about £108 to Air Asia and a couple of others' £69-85. But I think it's worth it for a connection. The reviews for the other airlines were bad enough that I'd not feel confident with them.

I'll have spent a few days in PP earlier in the trip, Moe. So hopefully I won't mind making an earlyish start on my last day. Always sad to leave somewhere of course, but I just have to get my head round it being a transit day.
Pass the wine...

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:55 pm

Based on usual on-time performance of most airlines, the first flight of the day is the most likely to go on schedule, especially if it originates in the country that you are flying from. Mid-day flights are alot more iffy for a number of reasons, including, but not limited to, the airline not having enough passengers booked to make a profit, problems at the other airports or cities from which the plane you are taking will be coming from so your plane has not arrived yet for your flight.
Steveo is my name, and golf is my game.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:59 pm

I fly Air Asia about a half dozen times a year on average. They're fine, if you aren't expecting anything but a seat on a plane.

Delays are bad in the Philippines but I'm told that's because of air traffic control being a mess, not the airline. I've never had a cancellation.

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:59 pm

steveogolf wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:55 pm
the first flight of the day is the most likely to go on schedule
this. the first flight almost always goes out. the delays build as the day goes on - for whatever reasons. don't ever rely on the last flight out; that is playing with fire.

one reason that i can think of for the first flight to NOT go out on time is... if the aircraft flew in the night before, and the crew need a required X amount of rest hours. so the flight can only depart when this crew (and there is no replacement crew) has gotten their rest. in this situation you can monitor the inbound flight from the night before.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:24 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:04 pm
I'd go for the noon flight ,that way you have a decent nights sleep the night before...get into Bangkok at a decent hour and go have a nice massage around Thanon Rambhutri for 4 quid...you can snear at the backpackers on KSR and eat some last minute quality food before heading back to the airport. with zero stress.
At the moment I'm favouring this. Proper wake up time, breakfast at the airport, and the airline has a couple more flights that would get me there on time if there was a problem with mine. Leave my backpack at BKK while I go into the city. Come back in time for a snooze in my pod before the flight.

No sneering for me though. I'll be a backpacker staying near the KSR at the beginning of the trip.
Pass the wine...

Cyllarus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Cyllarus » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:03 pm

Another vote for Bangkok Airways. Very good airline. Military precision which might reduce delays.