The Tokyo Yamanote Halloween Party Train

Point, shoot, leave.
crossfire
Stew Ingredient

Post by crossfire » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:40 pm

mutha is fixing
Yea, tho I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of the Toilet, I shall fear no Troll for it shall soon be gone!

Praise Avatars!

AntiEverything
Stew Ingredient

Post by AntiEverything » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:45 pm

lol.

Thats ace. Thanks for letting us know.

Nice to see that you got a celeb along as well:

Although I bet Barbara streisand didnt fool anyone with that outfit
Take note of the above comment. It may change your life.

crossfire
Stew Ingredient

Post by crossfire » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:00 pm

:lol: Ouch!

Rode the Halloween Train last night with Godjira. Don't have any pics but once I figure out how to upload and edit video on my PC from my new camcorder, I'll post some Youtube links.
Yea, tho I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of the Toilet, I shall fear no Troll for it shall soon be gone!

Praise Avatars!

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:56 pm

So you rode it two nights in a row?

What did Godj dress as?

You have a new avatar if you want it, you know, xfire.
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

purplegemini
Irish Stew

Post by purplegemini » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:26 pm

I've only noticed one Japanese person in those photos. Is it a mainly Westerner thing?
Blah blah blah

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:23 pm

I wore a plastic Hello Kitty mask I bought just after Crossfire called me. I thought it was going to be on a different day.

I wanted to buy this Godzilla mask I saw last year in Tokyo, but couldnt find it this year- so I opted for Kitty-chan. It was maybe the cheapest costume on the train, however, it doesnt really seem to matter at Halloween, does it?

It is mainly a Westerner thing, but there were some Japanese people, too- mainly friends of the various foreigners, I suspect, but a few.

In Japan there are certain things you don't do on a train, generally speaking. One is talk, unless you are drunk late at night or a high school student, silence is the rule. Another thing is drinking on the train. It is perfectly legal, but it is rare- usually only the practice of odd balls, hardcore oji-sans, and the homeless.

I mean, typical Japanese behavior on a train is mild. In fact, the other day I was on a crowded train and a baseball cap was able to have a seat the entire way. It was laying on the seat when I got on- and it was just alone, someone had left it. All the way into town, even as the train got crowded, that hat was left untouched, no one was asked if it was their hat, nothing- so it rode in comfort while people stood all around it. No joke- I have people stand rather than move an old magazine or bit of paper off a seat!

It is addictive, though. In fact, I was going to sit next to the hat, but chose a seat away from it.
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!

crossfire
Stew Ingredient

Post by crossfire » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:43 pm

pez - I rode two loops in a row. This story is from last year's event.

purps - last year there seemed to be nearly 30-40% japanese present. This year it was hard to gauge as there were far more people but I saw quite a few japanese participants.

Here are some clips from last year's Halloween Train:

A 360 degree pan of the Yamanote Halloween Party Train

Yamanote Halloween Train partiers greet commuters at Shibuya Station

Cowboy leading a chant

And here is something I whipped up on my computer with my new video camera and the movie maker program that came with my PC - in other words it's rough. I was experimenting with music and my PC had a sample of Beethoven's 9th so I thought what the hey. Then I saw how well the music went with the train speeding up that I decided to keep it. What do you think?

The Tokyo Yamanote Halloween Train 2006 starring Godjira, a bunch of boozing gaijins, alluring japanese babes, some confused japanese policemen, and Fidel Castro

Praise Avatars!

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:50 pm

looks good!

crossfire
Stew Ingredient

Post by crossfire » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:56 pm

YouTube search engine sucks! I typed in "Yamanote Halloween Train" and pnly five videos popped up - none of them mine and I have four videos with that title and tags!

What the hell is that all about?

Praise Avatars!

Dagny
Stew Ingredient

Post by Dagny » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:39 am

Fantastic, crossfire! You really should have your own branch here. What did you dress up as? That was Godjira with the Hello Kitty mask then? They said on the radio that this was the first year Japan has had a Halloween with trick-or-treaters. True or false?
Free Leonard!

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:40 am

DAGS! Hey missie! Good to see you here!
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

Dagny
Stew Ingredient

Post by Dagny » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:49 am

I'm fighting a cold and I popped in to see Milo. What a doll! I didn't have any Halloween yesterday so I decide I may have a smidge of will power for an occasional pop in.

Good to see you too, Pez. Anything changed around here?
Free Leonard!

crossfire
Stew Ingredient

Post by crossfire » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:40 pm

Can't say, dagny, as I wasn't around the home to give them any sweets or dried squid tentacles. Some schools have been doing trick-or-treating in the schools as an activity.

Halloween has really been catching on in the big cities at least because of the appeal of children have for it. Plus some companies are starting to catch on to the money-making potential of it. And hell japan already has a plethora of costumes anyway from anime to school girl and it has a good horror movie genre to boot so its only natural Halloween should become so popular.

I was the Grim Reaper with the Jack Daniels bottle at the end. The two cops were actual cops. My favorite is the Sherlock Holmes babe.

Praise Avatars!

Dagny
Stew Ingredient

Post by Dagny » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:38 pm

crossfire wrote:I was the Grim Reaper with the Jack Daniels bottle at the end. The two cops were actual cops. My favorite is the Sherlock Holmes babe.

She was a definitely stand out. Hope you got her number. The pink princess and maids were cute too. Hard to judge the blokes when they cover their faces. The two cops looked like cops, not amused.

So death drinks JD. I knew it would be some sort of whiskey. Was that also you in another clip holding samuri swords in the pic at the end?

Amazing how disciplined they are with respect for others. Where else would a cap get a free ride? Bet you didn't even get egged for not doling out treats.
Free Leonard!

cowtown
Stew Ingredient

Post by cowtown » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:44 pm

good stuff, makes our haunted el look like puke...well not really but the booze would help
Jim-2012 wrote:I *heart* Hitler

zara
stewbie

Post by zara » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:31 pm

yet another cool thread, xfire!

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:33 pm

that girl dressed as Sherlock Holmes was so hot, so hot...

that is me in the Hello Kitty mask, however, I noticed that my face was cut from view in all scenes. It isnt so bad, is it?

by the way, I wasnt actually smoking that cigarette. Please keep in mind that smoking in strickly forbidden on all JR lines except in the designated cars, of which there are none on the Yamanote line

crossfire
Stew Ingredient

Post by crossfire » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:44 pm

dont worry godjira as soon as I learn more about this editing stuff I'll get that message of yours to purps! :lol:

This video was but a mere foray - a learning step. Beethoven's 9th just happen to be a sampleon my PC. When I saw how well the music was building with the train speeding up and getting faster along with the music I kept it.

Anyway, I want to do a 3-5 minute segment with people's comments on the party and so on but I've got to work on the audio. Could anyone understand the japanese witch or the terminator guy at the end?

Praise Avatars!

justinian
special sauce

Post by justinian » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:32 pm

I mean, typical Japanese behavior on a train is mild. In fact, the other day I was on a crowded train and a baseball cap was able to have a seat the entire way. It was laying on the seat when I got on- and it was just alone, someone had left it. All the way into town, even as the train got crowded, that hat was left untouched, no one was asked if it was their hat, nothing- so it rode in comfort while people stood all around it. No joke- I have people stand rather than move an old magazine or bit of paper off a seat!

That hat will sit there, untouched, until either someone (who's seem the hat several days in a row) picks it up and takes it to the lost and found or the original hat wearer gets back on the train to reclaim it. No kidding. I've seen it happen with a purse!
The HOFF, people! Knight Fuckin' RIDER right in the reclining chair section!! -- nettie

justinian
special sauce

Post by justinian » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:33 pm

You should have sat next to the hat. You could have had a conversation with it - maybe even offered it a drink.
The HOFF, people! Knight Fuckin' RIDER right in the reclining chair section!! -- nettie

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:57 am

crossfire- I could understand, but I was there and so I knew what he said already

justinian- that is true about the lost and found. I bet a team of JR staff came and carried the hat away at Tokyo station. In fact, one time I left a briefcase on the train and it was brought to lost and found, though it took like a month until I was able to get it back as it had gone to a very strange location. Same with my cell phone- I left it on a train and I had to take a 4 hour round trip train ride to get it back.

From what I have heard, that hat now has a suite at the Park Hayatt Tokyo- the person bringing it to lost and found went back to their hotel and left it there by mistake.

justinian
special sauce

Post by justinian » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:36 pm

I can see a performance piece in this... hook up a laptop with a webcam, leave it on the subway, and see what happens.

Dan
Stew Ingredient

Post by Dan » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:19 pm

I never realized halloween was popular in Japan. I thought it was primarily an American thing. You don't see many other countries that celebrate it.

zara
stewbie

Post by zara » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:50 pm

perhaps you meant to say a north american thing :D
but regardless, it's celebrated "in most parts of the Western world, most commonly in the United States, Canada, the UK, Ireland, and with increasing popularity in Australia and New Zealand, as well as the Philippines. In recent years, Halloween has also been celebrated in parts of Western Europe, such as Belgium, France and Spain."

looks like the wiki page for halloween is causing a lot of controversy. ~

Dan
Stew Ingredient

Post by Dan » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:08 pm

zara wrote:perhaps you meant to say a north american thing :D
but regardless, it's celebrated "in most parts of the Western world, most commonly in the United States, Canada, the UK, Ireland, and with increasing popularity in Australia and New Zealand, as well as the Philippines. In recent years, Halloween has also been celebrated in parts of Western Europe, such as Belgium, France and Spain."

looks like the wiki page for halloween is causing a lot of controversy. ~

World traveler I am not. I never hear much about in the news places doing Halloween stuff outside of America. Then again, American news never really dwells on stuff outside of America, heh.

justinian
special sauce

Post by justinian » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:09 pm

The Office (US), last night, addressed Indian Halloween.

zara
stewbie

Post by zara » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:13 pm

not related to the same pagan tradition, but the turks have a day where folx give tons of sweets to kids as well - no costume or tricks required. the name eludes me atm.

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:17 am

I wouldnt say that Halloween is very popular in Japan. I mean, there are some decorations, and people find all the various Halloween things like pumpkins, etc, to be very cutw- but I mean, you dont see many people walking around in costumes.

justinian- hmm, that is an idea, or I can take a Post-It note and stick it to a seat, and put a hidden camera on it and see what happens!

Edward
Stew Ingredient

Post by Edward » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:38 am

Wow, that Yamanote Halloween thing is still going?!

It dates back way before 1990 because I remember seeing it in about 1985. I think it was shut down after the Sarin gas attack on the Yamanote line (1995?), but nice to see the revival.

Interesting how Japanese cops are so well behaved and tolerant around gaijin in general, and around drunks (native or imported).

IN CONTRAST, at the Annual Castro St. Halloween bash this year here in the Frisco area, nine people got shot on the street during the party. The cops were a little uptight for some reason. They have to worry about people packin' here, though.

crossfire
Stew Ingredient

Post by crossfire » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:45 pm

the worse that happens on Halloween is a punch-up but mainly it's just drunks cavorting. In the States there too many freaks with easy access to guns. You wonder what that asshole(s)'s reason was for shooting if there was any.

1985? So that makes the tradition twenty years old off and on. Wikipedia yanked the Halloween article because they didn't think it worthy of mention - plus two gaijin commentators claimed to have never heard of it despite living in Tokyo.

Praise Avatars!

Dagny
Stew Ingredient

Post by Dagny » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:19 pm

crossfire wrote: Wikipedia yanked the Halloween article because they didn't think it worthy of mention .

You've got to be kidding.
Free Leonard!

crossfire
Stew Ingredient

Post by crossfire » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:52 pm

'fraid not and to top it off as I said you had one Tokyo gaijin gunning for it's deletion because:

1) He had never heard of it nor any of his friends (all one of them)

and

2) He didn't approve of it's behavior.

Meanwhile somebody (a wiki worker?) during the Delete debate (and I use that word lightly) kept commenting on the location of ISP addresses because two of them were in non-japanese locations. It's as though those muppets couldn't conceive that Tokyo-living gaijins travel occassionally. :roll: It was very unprofessional and I have a mind to complain to wiki for it's poor performance of letting that ISP quoting idiot get away with smarmy remarks.

Praise Avatars!

Edward
Stew Ingredient

Post by Edward » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:55 pm

mutha is fixing

crossfire
Stew Ingredient

Post by crossfire » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:04 pm

mutha is fixing

Praise Avatars!

zara
stewbie

Post by zara » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:54 am

since when did you start listening to soda?! :D
you have real talent, xfire. i've always thought so!

crossfire
Stew Ingredient

Post by crossfire » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:20 am

zara wrote:since when did you start listening to soda?! :D

since about never :lol:

- I was just remembering one of his last rants about moi before he went over into great cyber beyond. What a character! :roll:

Praise Avatars!

zara
stewbie

Post by zara » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:13 am

i thought this time photoessay on maskerades around the world was fitting for this thread: http://www.time.com/time/photoessays/2006/maskerade/

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Re: The Tokyo Yamanote Halloween Party Train

Post by gnd » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:17 pm

THIS, MORE OF THIS. UYG16
Taking advantage of what is not working to make changes in your life often leads to your greatest opportunities and accomplishments --GND

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:59 am

Whatever happened to Crossfire? Interesting bloke.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

cowtown
Stew Ingredient

Post by cowtown » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:46 am

he went outside because we were mean to him, it was the worst or best gaslighting I've ever seen - it was so wrong but so good, I still can't believe he believed it, he even apologized for something he didn't do

was he a mod?

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:15 am

You were a cunt to him, he gave up and left, that's good.
Christ, what's the matter with you?
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

cowtown
Stew Ingredient

Post by cowtown » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:30 pm

it was a group effort

it was bizarre, like he was in on the joke as no one could actually...but then he wasn't- something about being a Tojo apologist

not sure that is why he went outside but it was around that time, I also think he was a Mod or there was some Mod thing

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:38 am

Jesus.
American humour is just about picking on some poor bugger and grinding away.
No wonder people shoot up schools and bars.

Arseholes.