Manch megathread - protest

Provide your questions, comments, ideas and suggested improvements to Political Stew here.
matt_melb
Stew Ingredient

Manch megathread - protest

Post by matt_melb » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:15 pm

I am posting to record my objection to the re-imposition of the single-thread rule on Manch.

This is the Mods caving in to complaints from a few special snowflakes who can't control their own inability to refrain from reading and responding to Manch's posts. It's the squeaky wheel syndrome: the complainants are making a fuss and are favourites, and so are getting special treatment.

It's disappointing that the Mods are not behaving impartially.

Meanwhile, other posters who are more prolific, boring and offensive - eg Felix - continue to get a free pass.

It's social exclusion, and a form of schoolyard bullying.

Usher73
Stew Ingredient

Re: Manch megathread - protest

Post by Usher73 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:03 am

I agree with matt.

Manch is being bullied from almost all sides.

rider5
Stew Ingredient

Post by rider5 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:51 am

Agreed felix needs to be administered antibuse.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:24 am

I agree, Felux is a bellend.
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient

Post by ben_hanscombe » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:53 am

matt_melb wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:15 pm
I am posting to record my objection to the re-imposition of the single-thread rule on Manch.

This is the Mods caving in to complaints from a few special snowflakes who can't control their own inability to refrain from reading and responding to Manch's posts.
I can count on my fingers the number of times I've responded to Manch since he returned, and I support the megathread.

Why are you so determined to see bad faith here, Matt? Is it JUST your personal dislike for Felix, or is there more to it than that?
Born a worm, spins a coccoon
Goes to sleep, wakes up a butterfly
What the fuck is that about?

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:08 am

there is board apartheid
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

The Mallard Missie
Stew Ingredient

Post by The Mallard Missie » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:44 am

The Zillion Handles cunt is ... well, a cunt - oh, and a fantasist.
The Duck Delusion

sodelicious
Stew Ingredient

Post by sodelicious » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:57 am

The Mallard Missie wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:44 am
The Zillion Handles cunt is ... well, a cunt - oh, and a fantasist.
He's not a c-word, but he is a fantasist.

I concur with Matt, though don't really care about it all that much.
Everyone is a victim to a social worker.

matt_melb
Stew Ingredient

Post by matt_melb » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:07 am

ben_hanscombe wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:53 am
Why are you so determined to see bad faith here, Matt? Is it JUST your personal dislike for Felix, or is there more to it than that?
I didn’t say bad faith, Ben, I said partiality.

Bad faith is deliberate. Where as partiality arising from bias can happen without you realising. I’m sure you’re aware of the numerous recent studies on ‘unconscious bias’.

Bias needs to be called out so that the people with power can come to realise that they may not, in fact, be acting impartially.

I am not acting primarily from dislike of Felix. I am acting primarily from my friendship for Manch.

But you would have to be pretty biased not to acknowledge that Felix (under his many handles) posts more prolifically than Manch. And he has proposed that certain posters should kill themselves; you would have to be pretty biased not to see this as more obnoxious than anything Manch has ever done.

ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient

Post by ben_hanscombe » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:38 am

I'd be amazed if Felix is more prolific, in terms of post or OPs per day, than Manch. I think that's factually untrue.

I won't deny that Felix has said offensive things. I personally find Manch's constant threats of the shit-filled bed to be every bit as obnoxious as the example you cite, if not more so. Obnoxiousness is subjective - right? It doesn't require bias to find one thing more obnoxious than another.

Furthermore: I note that your response to me only seeks to defend your accusations of partiality. My reference to bad faith was more directed at your accusations of schoolyard bullying and social exclusion. Why is it so hard for you to see anything other than bad faith in the people who want Manch to shut the fuck up?

See, what this looks like to me is the opposite of partiality on the part of the mods. It looks like a labour-intensive solution they've put in place designed to avoid banning Manch. They've gone out of their way to not shitcan him and all they get is whinging and OPs about dick fingers from him, and strongly worded protests from you.

Do you think he's improved the board with his presence? And do you think your answer is wholly free of bias?

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:56 am

As per above.

The handwringing from the "Laissez Faire" mob over this is hilarious.

People receive timeouts from this site - it happens. I've had them.

If anything, this poster is getting special treatment where if it was anyone else he'd have been zapped many moons ago.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:58 am

OP thinks the story of the FSB guys in Salisbury is credible.

That says enough for me.

ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient

Post by ben_hanscombe » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:00 am

Also - if this is special treatment for the snowflakes who can't resist reading and responding to his posts - how does this benefit those snowflakes? If it doesn't reduce his posting (and, while I haven't counted, I'm guessing it doesn't) and it doesn't prevent them reading or responding then why do you think that inability to resist reading and responding is a factor in the complainants' thinking?

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:30 am

Cool. I have bestrifed a jar of library paste from Melbourne. This might be the most exciting thing that has ever happened to him.
Last edited by strife on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am Stalking you.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:33 am

Mods, could you please move this to the Manch megathread?

Thanks.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:34 am

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:58 am
OP thinks the story of the FSB guys in Salisbury is credible.

That says enough for me.
He did when only one of the two had been identified as a GRU officer traveling under a fake name. Now that they both have been, he may have changed his mind.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:45 am

Mods, can I swap out the library paste for a livelier, smarter strifee?
I am Stalking you.

ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient

Post by ben_hanscombe » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:56 am

VinnyD wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:33 am
Mods, could you please move this to the Manch megathread?

Thanks.
I've no idea whether this was a joke, but it made me snigger nonetheless.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:58 am

COME AND DEFEND THE HONOR OF LEAVING MANCH VEGAS, MATTYBOY SON. I DEFILE IT, YOU.
I am Stalking you.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:00 am

ben_hanscombe wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:38 am

I won't deny that Felix has said offensive things.
I'll deal with you later, after I Destroy the OP.
I am Stalking you.

ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient

Post by ben_hanscombe » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:02 am

Strife.

The Mallard Missie
Stew Ingredient

Post by The Mallard Missie » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:05 am

For a supposed lawyer, the hairy one sure spends enough time on here. Does anyone know if she actually does any work - and I mean proper legal work not fantasy stuff?
The Duck Delusion

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:09 am

Has the vitriol against him got to extreme levels? Overstepping the mark?

He seems to be an impregnable body - impervious to criticism (or advice). I fully understand why some think he is trolling.

I suspect this negative reaction (even from NA and Waldos) is a reaction to the pathetic situation/picture he was presenting a few months ago.

Now a few months later they realise he is just on a 'grift'

Alcoholics lie and manipulate. It's what they do. And they can tear apart families from the inside - if that isn't too far a stretch of this comparison.

Iolar
Stew Ingredient

Post by Iolar » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:38 pm

The megathread is a silly response. If he's a problem, then ban him. I couldn't care less one way or the other, however, the megathread is undoubtedly not easy to read - it's a complete mess.
I like big quotes and I cannot lie

shilgia
Stew Ingredient

Post by shilgia » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:38 pm

I don't understand this complaint. Maybe it's better to confine everything to one thread; maybe it's not. But is it really So Terrible that it needs an outcry? So Manch is being encouraged to post in one thread. So? He can still post. He can still post in other people's threads. He can still open new threads (though they may be moved to the megathread). Why does it matter either way? How is he being disadvantaged?

And yeah, the same hasn't happened to other posters who are prolific. But other posters post on other people's threads, so there's no point in consolidating their posts. They actually respond to others' posts. If someone else posted several new threads a day on a consistent basis their threads might be consolidated, too.

Iolar
Stew Ingredient

Post by Iolar » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:48 pm

The megathread is indecipherable. That's my issue. His threads haven't been consolidated - if the had been, there would be some coherence. The merged threads are an incoherent shambles.

One of the arguments put forward by those advocating Manch being banned has been legibility. Well, that clusterfuck of a thread is not legible.

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:34 pm

matt_melb wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:07 am

I am not acting primarily from dislike of Felix. I am acting primarily from my friendship for Manch.

But you would have to be pretty biased not to acknowledge that Felix (under his many handles) posts more prolifically than Manch. And he has proposed that certain posters should kill themselves; you would have to be pretty biased not to see this as more obnoxious than anything Manch has ever done.
What a load of horseshit. Mutt is desperate to tar his "enemy" with the same brush as his "buddy". I guess he's really enjoying watching the stupid drunken Amerikkkan committing slow motion suicide by vodka. He and Flabster are catching the best show they've seen in years.

Drunkvegas has also never really been a member of this community, he rocked up here when he wore out his welcome everywhere else. This cunt that has never been here before shows up making countless OPs, posting 50+ every day, making creepy rape comments and making blanket insulting statements and then he wonders why people don't just love him. Crazy.

Mutt, why don't you take another couple of weeks off to really show the mods you mean it this time. Protest on, Straylian. Protest on.
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:44 pm

Ben, I think any time anyone has wondered if I was joking, I was.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:56 pm

Iolar wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:48 pm
The megathread is indecipherable. That's my issue. His threads haven't been consolidated - if the had been, there would be some coherence. The merged threads are an incoherent shambles.

One of the arguments put forward by those advocating Manch being banned has been legibility. Well, that clusterfuck of a thread is not legible.
Yup. It makes no sense to me to combine his threads into a complete mega-muddle. Either have the courage to ban him if the mods find him offensive or let him post as often as he likes and let other posters decide whether to respond or not. This attempt at a compromise is a failure.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:58 pm

I befuck you.
I am Stalking you.

The Mallard Missie
Stew Ingredient

Post by The Mallard Missie » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:05 pm

strife wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:58 pm
I befuck you.
Busy again in your "office" (sic), are we oh hairy one?
The Duck Delusion

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:27 pm

The crazy shopkeeper.

Your life has been over for a quarter century. You have nothing to live for. You are nothing better than a nuisance to people, a benefit to no one. How do you manage to get out of bed in the morning? You have No Own Life, no hope of things ever getting better. You will never, ever see Burma again. You are Finish. At least Sisyphus had a boulder to keep trying. You have Nothing. You are Finish. The only people who are nice to you are nice out of pity. That is the only emotion you stir in people, other than contempt. Pity, or contempt. What a life!

You know what I say is the Truth.
I am Stalking you.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:49 pm

Hey guys, what'd I miss?

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:52 pm

Mutt in Melbourne taking a break from defending the KGB to break into furious tears over Felix and in defense of his besty Manch.
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:50 pm

I'm happy to have him confined or band. Yay mods!
Things fall apart, it's scientific.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:00 pm

ben_hanscombe wrote:
See, what this looks like to me is the opposite of partiality on the part of the mods. It looks like a labour-intensive solution they've put in place designed to avoid banning Manch. They've gone out of their way to not shitcan him and all they get is whinging and OPs about dick fingers from him, and strongly worded protests from you.
That.

Matt, I do understand (but only to a degree) where your feelings might come from. We all see the posts of people we know in real life, and are fond of, differently from how other posters do. But this is by its nature, a text on screen forum, and it's run as such. The mods make decisions based on what they can see, and what everyone can read. I think they've been pretty fair to him.

Incidentally, there are other people who've met and liked Manch, who disagree with you.
Pass the wine...

eric84

Post by eric84 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:43 pm

leela wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:00 pm
ben_hanscombe wrote:
That.

Matt, I do understand (but only to a degree) where your feelings might come from. We all see the posts of people we know in real life, and are fond of, differently from how other posters do. But this is by its nature, a text on screen forum, and it's run as such. The mods make decisions based on what they can see, and what everyone can read. I think they've been pretty fair to him.

Incidentally, there are other people who've met and liked Manch, who disagree with you.
If you're trying to be fair to Manch, you would treat him like every other poster. That isn't happening here.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

rider5
Stew Ingredient

Post by rider5 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:47 pm

eric84 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:43 pm
leela wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:00 pm
ben_hanscombe wrote:
That.

If you're trying to be fair to Manch, you would treat him like every other poster. That isn't happening here.
Once again the mutha modmin is a complete failure, right?

eric84

Post by eric84 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:48 pm

Sigh, how about addressing what I say instead? I have no idea whose brainchild this is.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:54 pm

Eric, he is treated exactly the same as every other poster who puts up 50 drunken posts a day.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:55 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:54 pm
Eric, he is treated exactly the same as every other poster who puts up 50 drunken posts a day.
If he was, then stephen would have a single megathread.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:57 pm

No.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:58 pm

Manch isn't like every other poster. He's a suicidal alcoholic, prone to sexual harassment and spam.
I am Stalking you.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:59 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:57 pm
No.
Why, Vinny?

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:08 pm

Not as many posts, not as drunk.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:10 pm

eric84 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:55 pm
VinnyD wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:54 pm
If he was, then stephen would have a single megathread.
How many threads have I made this month, cunt?

Why do you have so many people who've blocked you, Eric?

sodelicious
Stew Ingredient

Post by sodelicious » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:14 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:08 pm
As far as I know Manch never posted an op with the headline 'N word' in all caps, and used the actual word.

If I'm wrong, please correct me.
Everyone is a victim to a social worker.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:17 pm

Good reason to take down that post; not a good reason to consolidate.

Iolar
Stew Ingredient

Post by Iolar » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:19 pm

You people are using "consolidate" in a strange way. Joining lots of things together and creating an incoherent mess is not a consolidation.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:24 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:08 pm
It's a lot of posts. He seems pretty drunk to me insofar we can determine that here.