Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

If it's got balls, it's here
User avatar
Annotated
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 20293
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:20 am

Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by Annotated » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:21 pm

Maybe even as an eventual replacement for Real Football, which will one day be deemed too dangerous?

We can't go with soccer because, well, soccer is for fags.

But Gaelic Football looks a lot more interesting. You can even use your hands!

This video does a good job of showing some of the basic rules (assuming it's correct).


Stay Woke

User avatar
eric84
Moderator
Posts: 53685
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by eric84 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:56 pm

Make sure it to rename it Trumpiedoodle ball. It'll be a hit in the NASCAR off season.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 61521
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by VinnyD » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:07 pm

The Gaelic Athletic Association of New York was founded in 1914, but of course people were playing Gaelic football on this side of the Atlantic long before the association was founded.. Gaelic football matches have played in Yankee Stadium and the Polo Grounds, but you are most likely to find them being played at Gaelic Park in the Bronx. Not in the summer, but you may see people practicing. I say "people" advisedly; there is also a New York Ladies GAA.

GAANY

It's like asking if Americans should take up step dancing or singing Irish songs.

User avatar
Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 69119
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:16 pm

There is a score about once every 2 minutes, so this should appeal to the average American mind which needs constant gratification.

However, it only lasts 35 minutes a half. How will they be able to slow it down?

User avatar
eric84
Moderator
Posts: 53685
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by eric84 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:20 pm

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:16 pm
There is a score about once every 2 minutes, so this should appeal to the average American mind which needs constant gratification.

However, it only lasts 35 minutes a half. How will they be able to slow it down?
Europeans quite like basketball
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 61521
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by VinnyD » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:23 pm

Eric is itching to tell you that basketball was invented by a Canadian (while living in Massachusetts), so I will relieve his anxiety.

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 61521
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by VinnyD » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:25 pm

It might also be noted that runs in cricket occur about 20 times as often (at a guess) as do runs in baseball. And that cricket games last longer, even the short-form games.

Edit: Average number of runs scored per game (both sides) in major league baseball in 2013 was 8.33. Apparently no one has ever been able to count the number of runs scored in a season of cricket and divide by the number of matches.
Last edited by VinnyD on Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
eric84
Moderator
Posts: 53685
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by eric84 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:31 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:23 pm
Eric is itching to tell you that basketball was invented by a Canadian (while living in Massachusetts), so I will relieve his anxiety.
No. But you apparently are.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

User avatar
Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 69119
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:38 pm

Vineyards, cricket has so much statistics available it would blow your mind.

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 61521
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by VinnyD » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:42 pm

Eric: To tell the truth, I have never noticed that aspect of Canadianness in you, although I have in pretty much every other Canadian I have known.

I heard a Canadian talking about it once on the NPR program This American Life. He said that, for example, he was vaguely aware that there was a person called Shania Twain (this was some time ago, and the guy is now dead), that he had no idea what she did or how she became famous, but he knew one fact about her: that she was Canadian. He had no idea how he knew that, but he did. And if he was watching TV with his (Jewish) family and, say, Lorne Greene came on, the tension in the room would be palpable until somebody finally said: "He's Canadian, you know. . . . . And Jewish."

Same same baseball Stephen, but I couldn't find average total runs scored in a match for any form of the game. I could find someone who asked the question on Quora but he didn't get an answer; people thought he was talking about batting averages.

User avatar
eric84
Moderator
Posts: 53685
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by eric84 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:58 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:42 pm
Eric: To tell the truth, I have never noticed that aspect of Canadianness in you, although I have in pretty much every other Canadian I have known.

I heard a Canadian talking about it once on the NPR program This American Life. He said that, for example, he was vaguely aware that there was a person called Shania Twain (this was some time ago, and the guy is now dead), that he had no idea what she did or how she became famous, but he knew one fact about her: that she was Canadian. He had no idea how he knew that, but he did. And if he was watching TV with his (Jewish) family and, say, Lorne Greene came on, the tension in the room would be palpable until somebody finally said: "He's Canadian, you know. . . . . And Jewish."

Same same baseball Stephen, but I couldn't find average total runs scored in a match for any form of the game. I could find someone who asked the question on Quora but he didn't get an answer; people thought he was talking about batting averages.
Yes, we like to identify with Canadians who make it in Amerikkka. I did know that Naismith, a Canadian, invented basketball while he was in Springfield, Mass. I know Amerikkkans get agitated about this for some reason.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 61521
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by VinnyD » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:05 pm

I know Amerikkkans get agitated about this for some reason.
Then you know more than I. I have a hard time imagining that anyone gives a shit.

User avatar
eric84
Moderator
Posts: 53685
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by eric84 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:28 pm

Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

User avatar
Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 11831
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:11 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by Moethebartender » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:51 pm

VD wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:23 pm
Eric is itching to tell you that basketball was invented by a Canadian (while living in Massachusetts), so I will relieve his anxiety.
Was it? Shame that they've been even less successful at it than they have at hockey.
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 61521
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by VinnyD » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:51 pm

This looks like agitation to a Canadian:

"But, it should of course be noted that a) it wasn't invented in Canada and that b)he of course became an American citizen."

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 61521
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by VinnyD » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:54 pm

Moethebartender wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:51 pm
VD wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:23 pm
Eric is itching to tell you that basketball was invented by a Canadian (while living in Massachusetts), so I will relieve his anxiety.
Was it? Shame that they've been even less successful at it than they have at hockey.
Active NHL players by nationality.

User avatar
Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 11831
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:11 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by Moethebartender » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:06 pm

Do you have a list of Canadian NHL teams that have won the Stanley Cup in the last 25 years, VD? I do. Here it is:

None
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.

User avatar
Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 69119
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:10 pm

Hurling should be a global sport, and I don't mean puking.

It's the closest thing we have to Rollerball, the film.

User avatar
eric84
Moderator
Posts: 53685
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by eric84 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:26 am

Moethebartender wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:06 pm
Do you have a list of Canadian NHL teams that have won the Stanley Cup in the last 25 years, VD? I do. Here it is:

None
How many gold have Team Canada men won at the olympics compared to Team USA? I do. Here it is: Canada 3, USA 0
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

User avatar
eric84
Moderator
Posts: 53685
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by eric84 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:28 am

VinnyD wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:51 pm
This looks like agitation to a Canadian:

"But, it should of course be noted that a) it wasn't invented in Canada and that b)he of course became an American citizen."
Yes, he felt the need to post that despite the fact that the OP said both things.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 54914
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:02 am

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by Lost Soul » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:31 am

Moethebartender wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:51 pm
VD wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:23 pm
Eric is itching to tell you that basketball was invented by a Canadian (while living in Massachusetts), so I will relieve his anxiety.
Was it? Shame that they've been even less successful at it than they have at hockey.
Canada has produced a few great NBA players, including 2-time MVP Steve Nash. It's pretty amazing for him being so short, slow and unable to jump- yes, white. But it is a fact.

I loved his game btw. He was a real inspiration.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 61521
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by VinnyD » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:14 am

eric84 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:28 am
VinnyD wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:51 pm
This looks like agitation to a Canadian:

"But, it should of course be noted that a) it wasn't invented in Canada and that b)he of course became an American citizen."
Yes, he felt the need to post that despite the fact that the OP said both things.
No it didn't.

User avatar
Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 11831
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:11 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by Moethebartender » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:08 am

Yes, Canuckistan has produced a few great players - most of whom promptly left Coldieville so that they could enjoy success (and FREEDOM) in the US.
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.

User avatar
eric84
Moderator
Posts: 53685
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by eric84 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:42 am

VinnyD wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:14 am
eric84 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:28 am
VinnyD wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:51 pm
This looks like agitation to a Canadian:

"But, it should of course be noted that a) it wasn't invented in Canada and that b)he of course became an American citizen."
Yes, he felt the need to post that despite the fact that the OP said both things.
No it didn't.
See what I mean?
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

User avatar
Geoffers
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 3462
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:49 am

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by Geoffers » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:11 pm

The USA won an Olympic Gold medal in Rugby, but that was before American football was devised.

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 61521
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by VinnyD » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:05 pm

You are willing to lie to prove your point, Eric

That doesn't work when the lies are so easy to check.

You have not produced any evidence to support your assertion that USAnians get agitated about the fact that Naismith was a Canadian, or even that any USAnian ever has.

The first time England played in the World Cup it lost to the USA. I am pretty sure there were no professional footballers on the US side, unless they played somewhere outside the US.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 54914
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:02 am

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by Lost Soul » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:09 pm

Moethebartender wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:08 am
Yes, Canuckistan has produced a few great players - most of whom promptly left Coldieville so that they could enjoy success (and FREEDOM) in the US.
Anybody who makes $200,000 in our impoverished, socialist, neighbor to the SE quickly relocates to the land of the free. Thankfully, this excludes Ereich.

And still they haven't a clue. HRH Trudeau forever!
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

User avatar
eric84
Moderator
Posts: 53685
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by eric84 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:25 pm

Lost Soul wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:09 pm
Moethebartender wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:08 am
Yes, Canuckistan has produced a few great players - most of whom promptly left Coldieville so that they could enjoy success (and FREEDOM) in the US.
Anybody who makes $200,000 in our impoverished, socialist, neighbor to the SE quickly relocates to the land of the free. Thankfully, this excludes Ereich.

And still they haven't a clue. HRH Trudeau forever!
Jonathon Tavares just signed with the Leafs for $11M per year. Jumped ship from NY Islanders. Clearly, he didn't get the ditchdigger's or moe's advice.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

User avatar
eric84
Moderator
Posts: 53685
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by eric84 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:26 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:05 pm
You are willing to lie to prove your point, Eric

That doesn't work when the lies are so easy to check.

You have not produced any evidence to support your assertion that USAnians get agitated about the fact that Naismith was a Canadian, or even that any USAnian ever has.

The first time England played in the World Cup it lost to the USA. I am pretty sure there were no professional footballers on the US side, unless they played somewhere outside the US.
It was on this day in 1892 that the first official basketball game was played, in Springfield, Massachusetts. Basketball was the brainchild of James Naismith, a Canadian who was teaching at a YMCA training school in Springfield, which prepared young men to go out and be instructors in YMCAs. Naismith was teaching physical education, but the winters were cold in Massachusetts, and his students were frustrated that they couldn't go outside. He wanted something physically challenging but that could be played indoors, in a relatively small space. He tried all kinds of new and old games, but nothing worked. Finally he remembered a game he had played as a kid in Canada, a game called Duck on a Rock. He took a few rules from that and adapted it into a game he called Basket Ball. He nailed peach baskets to the balcony on each side of the gym, but the baskets had solid bottoms, so if anyone managed to get the ball in the basket someone else had to climb up and get the ball down. The rules evolved, and basketball caught on fast, helped by the spread of YMCAs. Naismith helped establish the sport at the college level, becoming head coach at the University of Kansas. By the time he died in 1939, basketball was an official Olympic event.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 61521
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by VinnyD » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:10 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:14 am
eric84 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:28 am
VinnyD wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:51 pm
This looks like agitation to a Canadian:

"But, it should of course be noted that a) it wasn't invented in Canada and that b)he of course became an American citizen."
Yes, he felt the need to post that despite the fact that the OP said both things.
No it didn't.
Note that "one of those things" is not the same as "both things".

User avatar
DCComic
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 14501
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by DCComic » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:14 pm

They’re not smothered in padding. Someone might get hurt.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 61521
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by VinnyD » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:34 pm

I am curious, DCC. Are you laboring under the impression that (because of the padding or whatever) gridiron football is a safer sport (fewer injuries, fewer serious injuries) than association football?

User avatar
eric84
Moderator
Posts: 53685
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by eric84 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:43 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:10 pm
VinnyD wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:14 am
eric84 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:28 am


Yes, he felt the need to post that despite the fact that the OP said both things.
No it didn't.
Note that "one of those things" is not the same as "both things".
Sure, ok, one of those things. I sensed irritation of trying to claim Naismith as American even though he got American citizenship well after he invented basketball. Seems petty and irrelevant.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 61521
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by VinnyD » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:48 pm

I can see that it would. But I haven't seen anyone trying to do that, nor have I seen anyone getting agitated over the fact that he was Canadian.

There is one person here who seems agitated over the issue, and he isn't USAnian.

User avatar
DCComic
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 14501
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by DCComic » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:53 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:34 pm
I am curious, DCC. Are you laboring under the impression that (because of the padding or whatever) gridiron football is a safer sport (fewer injuries, fewer serious injuries) than association football?
No.

Association football isn’t a contact sport.

If asked to bet I would assume that injuries to armoured players in US fatman padball and hockey are worse because of the armour. The irony is tnat padding encourages harder and more frequent contact and so has the opposite effect to what is intended.

Did you see ‘Concussion’? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concussion_(2015_film)
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

User avatar
eric84
Moderator
Posts: 53685
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by eric84 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:17 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:48 pm
I can see that it would. But I haven't seen anyone trying to do that, nor have I seen anyone getting agitated over the fact that he was Canadian.

There is one person here who seems agitated over the issue, and he isn't USAnian.
You raised it first so you seemed to be spoiling for a fight.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 61521
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by VinnyD » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:52 pm

I was the first person to mention here that Naismith was Canadian, yes. In what way does that indicate I was spoinling for a fight?

User avatar
eric84
Moderator
Posts: 53685
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by eric84 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:49 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:52 pm
I was the first person to mention here that Naismith was Canadian, yes. In what way does that indicate I was spoinling for a fight?
You raised it out of the blue apropos of nothing other than me referringbto basketball
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 61521
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by VinnyD » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:59 pm

yes. As I explained above, if a Canadian mentions Shania Twain or Lorne Greene, I expect to hear shortly that they are/were Canadian.

And if a Canadian mentions instant mashed potatoes, the pool noodle, or basketball, I exoect to hear that a Canadian invented it/them.

But as I also said above, I have not noticed that trait in you, so I should apologize, and do.

Another bit I remember from that This American Life thing. To the Canadian media, it was not the space shuttle, it was "the space shuttle with its Canadian-built robotic arm."

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 61521
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by VinnyD » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:05 pm

You can hear it here. "Act One", with David Rakoff. He was very smart and funny.

User avatar
eric84
Moderator
Posts: 53685
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by eric84 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:10 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:59 pm
yes. As I explained above, if a Canadian mentions Shania Twain or Lorne Greene, I expect to hear shortly that they are/were Canadian.

And if a Canadian mentions instant mashed potatoes, the pool noodle, or basketball, I exoect to hear that a Canadian invented it/them.

But as I also said above, I have not noticed that trait in you, so I should apologize, and do.

Another bit I remember from that This American Life thing. To the Canadian media, it was not the space shuttle, it was "the space shuttle with its Canadian-built robotic arm."
And you were disappointed when I didn't? Sorry about that.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

User avatar
DCComic
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 14501
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by DCComic » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:11 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:59 pm
And if a Canadian mentions instant mashed potatoes, the pool noodle, or basketball, I exoect to hear that a Canadian invented it/them.
If that's true then, with the possible exception of basketball, I'd expect them to apologise.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

User avatar
eric84
Moderator
Posts: 53685
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by eric84 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:14 pm

DCComic wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:11 pm
VinnyD wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:59 pm
And if a Canadian mentions instant mashed potatoes, the pool noodle, or basketball, I exoect to hear that a Canadian invented it/them.
If that's true then, with the possible exception of basketball, I'd expect them to apologise.
Pool noodles are useful. Kids love mashed potatoes.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

User avatar
SeamusMcCool
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15313
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:37 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by SeamusMcCool » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:34 pm

Shouldn't the average Canadian know who is Lorne Green outside of Baby Boomers in order to bring up he's Canadian? Same goes for mashed potatoes and pool noodles. That kind of useless trivia is for people like Vinny.
Moethebartender wrote: "No doubt funded by the nigrah's and the joos."

User avatar
SeamusMcCool
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15313
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:37 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by SeamusMcCool » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:37 pm

NHL hockey has nothing to do with national superiority in the sport. Canada's superiority in World Juniors, World Championships, Canada Cups, Olympics basically any national tournament piting best against best is what matters in that regard.
Moethebartender wrote: "No doubt funded by the nigrah's and the joos."

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 61521
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by VinnyD » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:18 pm

The fact that abut half of NHL players are Canadian (and less than a quarter USAnian) does suggest that they are pretty good at the game. Even if you don't take relative population into account.

User avatar
Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 11831
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:11 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by Moethebartender » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:32 pm

And none of that will lead a Canuckistanian team to hoist the Stanley Cup anytime soon.
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.

User avatar
eric84
Moderator
Posts: 53685
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by eric84 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:08 pm

Moethebartender wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:32 pm
And none of that will lead a Canuckistanian team to hoist the Stanley Cup anytime soon.
Have you been following the Leafs lately? Sure, you have. Hey, the Winnipeg Jets got to the semi-finals this year. How did Detroit do again?
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 61521
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by VinnyD » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:09 pm

The Detroit roster is only one third Canadian. (And one third USAnian and one third other.) Maybe that's their problem.

User avatar
Geoffers
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 3462
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:49 am

Re: Should America Adopt Gaelic Football?

Post by Geoffers » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:18 am

So no one wants the nifty?

Post Reply