Video games, electronics and gadgets, elf ears and more

Moderator: Moderator

harry_flashman
Stew Ingredient

Programming languages

Post by harry_flashman » Thu May 03, 2018 5:29 pm

Breakdown of the 9 Most In-Demand Programming Languages

1. SQL
It’s no surprise SQL (pronounced ‘sequel’) tops the job list since it can be found far and wide in various flavors. Database technologies such as MySQL, PostgreSQL and Microsoft SQL Server power big businesses, small businesses, hospitals, banks, universities. Indeed, just about every computer and person with access to technology eventually touches something SQL. For instance, all Android phones and iPhones have access to a SQL database called SQLite and many mobile apps developed Google, Skype and DropBox use it directly.

2. Java
The tech community recently celebrated the 20th anniversary of Java. It’s one of the most widely adopted programming languages, used by some 9 million developers and running on 7 billion devices worldwide. It’s also the programming language used to develop all native Android apps. Java’s popularity with developers is due to the fact that the language is grounded in readability and simplicity. Java has staying power since it has long-term compatibility, which makes sure older applications continue to work now into the future. It’s not going anywhere anytime soon and is used to power company websites like LinkedIn.com, Netflix.com and Amazon.com. For more info behind Java’s popularity, see our beginner’s guide to Java.

3. JavaScript
JavaScript – not to be confused with Java or mean stack development – is another one of the world’s most popular and powerful programming languages, and is used to spice up web pages by making them interactive. For example, JavaScript can be used to add effects to web pages, display pop-up messages or to create games with basic functionality. It’s also worth noting that JavaScript is the scripting language of the World Wide Web and is built right into all major web browsers including Internet Explorer, FireFox and Safari. Almost every website incorporates some element of JavaScript to add to the user experience, adding to the demand for JavaScript developers. In recent years JavaScript has also gained use as the foundation of Node.js, a server technology that among other things enables real-time communication.

4. C#
Dating from 2000, C# (pronounced C-sharp) is a relatively new programming language designed by Microsoft for a wide range of enterprise applications that run on the .NET Framework. An evolution of C and C++, the C# language is simple, modern, type safe and object oriented.

5. C++
C++ (pronounced C-plus-plus) is a general purpose object-oriented programming language based on the earlier ‘C’ language. Developed by Bjarne Stroustrup at Bell Labs, C++ was first released in 1983. Stroustrup keeps an extensive list of applications written in C++. The list includes Adobe and Microsoft applications, MongoDB databases, large portions of Mac OS/X and is the best language to learn for performance-critical applications such as “twitch” game development or audio/video processing.

6. Python
Python is a general purpose programming language that was named after the Monty Python (so you know it’s fun to work with)! Python is simple and incredibly readable since it closely resembles the English language. It’s a great language for beginners, all the way up to seasoned professionals. Python recently bumped Java as the language of choice in introductory programming courses with eight of the top 10 computer science departments now using Python to teach coding, as well as 27 of the top 39 schools. Because of Python’s use in the educational realm, there are a lot of libraries created for Python related to mathematics, physics and natural processing. PBS, NASA and Reddit use Python for their websites.

7. PHP
Created by Danish-Canadian programmer Rasmus Lerdorf in 1994, PHP was never actually intended to be a new programming language. Instead, it was created to be a set of tools to help Rasmus maintain his Personal Home Page (PHP). Today, PHP (Hypertext Pre-Processor) is a scripting language, running on the server, which can be used to create web pages written in HTML. PHP tends to be a popular languages since its easy-to use by new programmers, but also offers tons of advanced features for more experienced programmers.

8. Ruby on Rails
Like Java or the C language, Ruby is a general purpose programming language, though it is best known for its use in web programming, and Rails serves as a framework for the Ruby Language. Ruby on Rails has many positive qualities including rapid development, you don’t need as much code, and there are a wide variety of 3rd party libraries available. It’s used from companies ranging from small start-ups to large enterprises and everything in-between. Hulu, Twitter, Github and Living Social are using Ruby on Rails for at least one of their web applications.

9. iOS/Swift
In 2014, Apple decided to invent their own programming language. The result was iOS Swift – a new programming language for iOS and OS X developers to create their next killer app. Developers will find that many parts of Swift are familiar from their experience of developing in C++ and Objective-C. Companies including American Airlines, LinkedIn, and Duolingo have been quick to adopt Swift, and we’ll see this language on the rise in the coming years.
Hello Flashman

coward, cad, lecher and knave-of-all-trades

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Re: Programming languages

Post by Lincoln » Fri May 04, 2018 7:54 pm

You fcuking boring cunt.

Jim-2012
Stew Ingredient

Post by Jim-2012 » Sat May 05, 2018 11:42 am

Since I started using C# in 2008, I don't use any other programming language.
It is very versatile and easy to use, and you can get it for free.
“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.”
“When you are taking FLAK, you know you are over the target”

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Sat May 05, 2018 6:34 pm

really Harry. whats your favorite?
Anyone can go by horse or rail, but the absolute best way to travel is by hat.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Sun May 06, 2018 7:18 am

Jim-2012 wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 11:42 am
Is there a programming language you have to pay for?

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Sun May 06, 2018 7:29 am

Weird to see sql as in demand. I used it a lot in the 90s but hardly touched it in the past decade. I wouldn't bother at this point, just use any of the AWS database offerings.

Java has never been as popular in Seattle as the Microsoft offerings. I used it for years but still never really cared for it.

It’s amazing how widespread JavaScript is now. If you told me fifteen years ago it would be my primary programming language I would have laughed and been horrified, but here we are. I use it all the time.

C# is my favorite and I still get to use it on occasion.

C++ is awful and no fun and still the most useful language for code that will run anywhere.

Used ruby and python only a tiny bit but liked them both.

I lived in php hell for six years or so. Can’t believe it’s still popular. I’ve eradicated from my life... except for this site.

Never used Swift, though I’ve written apps in objective C.

No mention of Go?

Jim-2012
Stew Ingredient

Post by Jim-2012 » Sun May 06, 2018 10:58 am

muthafunky wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 7:18 am
Jim-2012 wrote:
Yes, I have paid for various compilers in the past.
Microsoft Visual Studio for C# is excellent and free.
“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.”

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Sun May 06, 2018 3:50 pm

Which one are you talking about? Everything listed in the OP is free. I’ve never heard of a language costing money. Most IDEs are free. Visual Studio has a free community edition, but the pro edition requires a subscription.

Jim-2012
Stew Ingredient

Post by Jim-2012 » Sun May 06, 2018 4:49 pm

muthafunky wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 3:50 pm
Which one are you talking about? Everything listed in the OP is free. I’ve never heard of a language costing money. Most IDEs are free. Visual Studio has a free community edition, but the pro edition requires a subscription.
All right, Vinny, in order to develop software in a particular language, you need compilers to produce the code to run on a particular platform.
I have always had to pay for the C or C++ et al, compilers for use at home.
I downloaded Visual Studio, a free community edition.
I despise Microshaft, but I am very pleased with Visual Studio community edition.
The development tools I used at work I could not take home with me.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Sun May 06, 2018 4:59 pm

ok vinny, which languages require compilers that cost money?

The only compiler I’ve paid for is, ironically, Visual Studio.

Jim-2012
Stew Ingredient

Post by Jim-2012 » Sun May 06, 2018 5:09 pm

muthafunky wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 4:59 pm
ok vinny, which languages require compilers that cost money?

The only compiler I’ve paid for is, ironically, Visual Studio.
Vinny, in 1976 when I bought an Altair, I even paid for the Basic software written by Bill Gates.
Subsequently, I bought compilers from Borland, which is now defunct.
You obviously came along much later.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Sun May 06, 2018 5:12 pm

Well it’s true that when you were espousing the virtues of C# compared to other languages I didn’t think you were comparing them to tech from 1976.

Seems super relevant though.

Jim-2012
Stew Ingredient

Post by Jim-2012 » Sun May 06, 2018 5:16 pm

I have tried Java and JavaScript, too, but I wasn't too impressed with them.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Sun May 06, 2018 6:24 pm

Did you pay money to someone for them?

Jim-2012
Stew Ingredient

Post by Jim-2012 » Sun May 06, 2018 6:30 pm

muthafunky wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 6:24 pm
Did you pay money to someone for them?
I tried them 20 years ago, but IIRC a colleague gave me the development tool.
I put the Javascript in the HTML file of my homepage, which worked.
I also wrote Java for my homepage, but I found that it really slowed down loading of the homepage, so I took it out.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Sun May 06, 2018 7:24 pm

Java and JavaScript are more typically used in server applications these days rather than just in browsers.

harry_flashman
Stew Ingredient

Post by harry_flashman » Mon May 07, 2018 7:57 am

Java is bloated but still one of the better languages for platform independence.

c# is microshaft nuff said.

C or Cpp is probably still the language of choice for system code

Is sql really a programming language?
lived in php hell for six years or so. Can’t believe it’s still popular. I’ve eradicated from my life... except for this site.
Why the downer on php?
Hello Flashman

coward, cad, lecher and knave-of-all-trades

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Mon May 14, 2018 10:53 am

muthafunky wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 7:18 am
Jim-2012 wrote:
:lol:
Taking advantage of what is not working to make changes in your life often leads to your greatest opportunities and accomplishments --GND

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sun May 20, 2018 5:52 pm

I learned FORTRAN, the first language, as did all engineers until about 2000.

We went to the moon on FORTRAN!

And at the time I learned it 30-odd years ago my calculator was better than that obsolete language, much less the computer lab computer.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Jim-2012
Stew Ingredient

Post by Jim-2012 » Sun May 20, 2018 11:28 pm

Lost Soul wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 5:52 pm
I learned FORTRAN, the first language, as did all engineers until about 2000.

We went to the moon on FORTRAN!

And at the time I learned it 30-odd years ago my calculator was better than that obsolete language, much less the computer lab computer.
Starting in 1984 I used Fortran for one legacy product we had, but newer products used C & C++.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Mon May 21, 2018 4:26 pm

I went to college in 1992 and they weren’t teaching Fortran then. Pascal and C were the only languages being taught. I did use fortran while studying at Imperial College but I just assumed tha was because it was England, and thus behind the US technologically.

cowtown
Stew Ingredient

Post by cowtown » Mon May 21, 2018 9:06 pm

I learned Pascal for Mac in 1987

never used it, forgot it, didn't enjoy it

it was in the days before people had computers so I had to go to some lab and wait to hop on a Mac, totality sucked
Jim-2012 wrote:I *heart* Hitler

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Mon May 21, 2018 9:15 pm

As of last week I’m now working in swift

egjeg
Stew Ingredient

Post by egjeg » Thu May 24, 2018 7:55 am

Sorry I'm late to the party.

SQL isn't a programming language. It's a query language. Hence the -QL
Ruby on rails isn't a programming language. It's a framework. Ruby is a language. I know the description in OP says this, but then why not just use the heading "Ruby?"
Visual Studio isn't a compiler. It's an IDE. msbuild is a compiler that Visual Studio uses.
Last edited by egjeg on Sat Jun 04, 2031 4:13 am, edited 5,730,142 time in total.

egjeg
Stew Ingredient

Post by egjeg » Thu May 24, 2018 8:01 am

muthafunky wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 7:29 am
Weird to see sql as in demand. I used it a lot in the 90s but hardly touched it in the past decade. I wouldn't bother at this point, just use any of the AWS database offerings.
If you use one of aws relational databases (rds) how would you query it? I think most are still queried using some flavour of SQL.
Last edited by egjeg on Sat Jun 04, 2031 4:13 am, edited 5,730,142 time in total.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Thu May 24, 2018 2:27 pm

I haven’t needed to query a relational database since 2008 or so. The only relational dbs we’ve used were for metrics and we’ve always had stats folks building reports. With AWS I've used redshift for metrics, which is relational but doesn’t use queries to insert data. Otherwise I’ve mostly used Redis, dynamo, or mongo.

Coincidentally though as of last week we’ve decided we needed one again, so I set up Aurora Mysql. Sure enough, 3/4 of the engineers at my office have never written a query.

Usher73
Stew Ingredient

Post by Usher73 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:16 am

I started with Fortran fot EE in school.

I learned assembler and Cobol in my first and only job after the Army.

Then I learned Pascal and Delphi.

Borland/Delphi have been absorbed by Embarcadero, and they keep trying to sell me Delphi for $1000+.

But I can do anything I want with assembler. It jusr takes longer.

RichD
Stew Ingredient

Post by RichD » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:44 pm

I learned C, C++, Fortran, COBOL, Pascal, Progress, LISP, BASIC, a few others I forget. First job was LISP and Fortran...DOS scripts, then C/C++. I have not coded anything since the late 90s.

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:19 am

Had an idea for an app. started looking at swift, xcode. Though probably someone´s already written my app idea for all I know. Swift looks a bit easier than C++
Taking advantage of what is not working to make changes in your life often leads to your greatest opportunities and accomplishments --GND

CatScanMan
Goat Roper

Post by CatScanMan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:47 pm

C# and JavaScript at my place (and SQL).