How willing are you to pay for overpriced food and drink?

The Richard Allan Bodine Lounge... have a drink and talk about whatever you'd like

Moderator: Moderator

desertstorm
Stew Ingredient

How willing are you to pay for overpriced food and drink?

Post by desertstorm » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:55 am

Reading the Newark thread about airport food being overpriced. I wonder how tolerated are posters here to pay for overpriced food at those places: airports, tourist traps or trendy clubs. Whinge but suck it up and pay, look down on those who whinge and tell them to go elsewhere if they are not willing to pay, or being a cheapskate and take your homemade sandwiches and thermoflask of coffee with you?

I admit I am the last category.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Re: How willing are you to pay for overpriced food?

Post by DCComic » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:58 am

How do you judge 'overpriced' though?
If there is somewhere as good but cheaper I'll use it. I'd not carry sandwiches.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:59 am

It's not the cost that drives my decision so much as cost vs. quality. Airport food is probably not going to be very good, as well as being high priced, so I will generally avoid that. Ditto many tourist trap type places.

High priced food from a quality restaurant I have no problem paying for.

There are sometimes exceptions, of course. I've had a few decent meals at airports. Crystal Jade at the Hong Kong airport is pretty good, for example. (As well as expensive)

desertstorm
Stew Ingredient

Post by desertstorm » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:01 pm

DCComic wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:58 am
How do you judge 'overpriced' though?
I don't know, I tried not to look too closely at the recipes of my last holiday, but I noticed they routinely charged us €6,95 for half litre of water, mineral or not.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:03 pm

Sometimes like in some Italian palazzo or whatever, they can anally rape me $25 for a cocktail. But those $25 cocktails in Venice at Harry's Bar are down to a waiter's union and will ultimately lead to no more Harry's Bar.

Airport never seems all that crazy expensive to me, given the convenience factor of having a place to sit down. The last trendy club I was in was Studio 54, and they had no food.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Re: How willing are you to pay for overpriced food and drink?

Post by GLimpet » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:04 pm

High St chains in UK airports - Boots, WH Smith, Costa, etc, charge the same for sandwiches and drinks as they do in town.

I'm just waiting for an airport Greggs.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:05 pm

Jesus.
Where was the €6,95 water?
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:12 pm

I don't see too many stores changing hands between airport visits so the public has spoken and it's willing to pay $3 more for McDonalds, but won't pay above magazine cover price on principal.

People can be upsold to big grab-sized cheese doodles and induced out of nowhere to crave a Toberone bar.

desertstorm
Stew Ingredient

Post by desertstorm » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:13 pm

DCComic wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:05 pm
Jesus.
Ski resort, so I probably should shut the fuck up or eat yellow snow instead.

recipes > receipts

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:36 pm

depends how hungry I am don't it?..

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:43 pm

I'll eat if I'm hungry and I'll definitely buy my son a €8 slice of pizza at Doha airport if he's hungry, but I might resent the airport a bit because of it.

I'll also make sandwiches sometimes, because home-made sandwiches are lovely and they remind me of the old days.

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:00 pm

Unread post by DCComic » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:05 pm

Jesus.

Jesus: Where I turned water into wine
DCComic "3000 dead Americans is slightly less than fuck all",

txgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by txgirl » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:06 pm

I’ll pay for it when I’m hungry. By the time I got to the airport I was starving. I had changed my flight that morning to avoid another snowstorm, stuck in meetings all day until I could leave to pack and head to the airport - no lunch. By 5pm I was ready to eat my arm. So $20 burger had to do.

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:42 pm

I spent a fortune on apricots when I was on a camping trip in Switzerland (and France) while pregnant. Switzerland is not the best place for weird pregnancy cravings.

desertstorm
Stew Ingredient

Post by desertstorm » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:47 pm

EMG wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:59 am
It's not the cost that drives my decision so much as cost vs. quality.
Well overpriced itself implies the cost quality equation is not that good, but then some may not mind paying 10x for availability on these locations, I understand overpriced food for a cheapskate like me is often reasonable to most people.
polardude1 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:00 pm
Jesus: Where I turned water into wine
If only Jesus was with us... wait.

desertstorm
Stew Ingredient

Post by desertstorm » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:48 pm

Klara wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:42 pm
I spent a fortune on apricots when I was on a camping trip in Switzerland (and France) while pregnant. Switzerland is not the best place for weird pregnancy cravings.
Switzerland is not the best place for reasonably priced anything.

islandboi
Stew Ingredient

Post by islandboi » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:49 pm

I think everyone on here knows how thrifty I am (aka tightwad). I very rarely get into a situation where I am held hostage for food or drink... the secret is YOU HAVE TO PLAN AHEAD. You have to learn to not be proud and pack your own food, to research where one can find cheaper food and drink (often it is just a short walk away from the tourist trap) and how to go without if the rare situation came up where I could not access anything cheaper.

I have been able to get a few things down to a science. One of them being how to get on in a very expensive place (aka Palm Springs)

Since I spend so little time there (only the last 10 days in a very cheap, shoddy hotel) so I could get some pool time, I was able to avoid the astronomical prices of food and drink one finds as they wander up and down Palm Canyon Drive. Even the seediest of hotels have fridges and microwaves so it is not inconvenient to cook in your room. Also every place has a continental breakfast... load up on bread, peanut butter, bagels, Philly creme cheese, fruit and yoghurt. Take enough for lunch... make sure to grab plastic plates, cutlery, napkins and condiments for later.

I don't drink much, and any drinking I did was with my own liquor at the pool or maybe one or two in my room in the evening. Alcohol and gasoline are the only things that are cheaper in the US anymore... everything else is more expensive than Canada as one not only has to add 23% to the cost of everythi, but the shelf price of everything from beans to cheese to clothes to toiletries is the same as home.

The tipping culture is RIGHT OUT OF CONTROL in America and so is the pricing at restaurants in Palm Springs, so I was told by a Canadian couple at the pool who were not only astounded by the cost of meals, but how everything is a la carte so they can soak you even more. On my whole trip of 2 months, I only had one restaurant meal and that was at Denny's in Albuquerque. It was a terribly disappointing meal (I remember when Denny's was the home of massive portions of food). The meal (pot roast) was $14, the service poor and I never drank anything.... I left $2 which weas more than enough.

Costco and Walmart were godsends for cheap food....Chicken caesar salad for $4, a huge bowl of chili for $3, a big slice of combo pizza for $2. I would sometimes get a value combo meal at a fast food place like Del Taco where one can get a small fry, 2 tacos and a soda for 5 bucks.

What I don't understand is that the vast, vast majority of StewPot posters are extremely high paid professionals.... Why are any of you complaining when you have absolutely no problem paying enormous prices for food and drink?
Last edited by islandboi on Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hello, my name is islandboi and I live on $1800 CAN a month..."

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:50 pm

I had a £14 (US$21.50 then) burger in LCY in 2012, which is £16 inflation adjusted at today's prices , which is US$22.50 at today's FX rates.

Actually, we both had one, but were so hungry and tired , with a long wait ahead of us, we were past caring and other options were crowded and had no seating.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:52 pm

desertstorm wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:47 pm
EMG wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:59 am
It's not the cost that drives my decision so much as cost vs. quality.
Well overpriced itself implies the cost quality equation is not that good, but then some may not mind paying 10x for availability on these locations, I understand overpriced food for a cheapskate like me is often reasonable to most people.
Yeah, I suppose. To reference my earlier example of Crystal Jade: It's Chinese dumplings and chicken feet and things like that. Food I enjoy, but also I know it will cost quite a bit more in the airport than it does outside of the airport.

I'm more willing to pay the extra for something like that, vs paying for overpriced Mc Donald's or a $6 ham and cheese sandwich, because I will still enjoy eating the former. The latter not so much.

islandboi
Stew Ingredient

Post by islandboi » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:55 pm

islandboi wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:49 pm
I think everyone on here knows how thrifty I am (aka tightwad). I very rarely get into a situation where I am held hostage for food or drink... the secret is YOU HAVE TO PLAN AHEAD. You have to learn to not be proud and pack your own food, to research where one can find cheaper food and drink (often it is just a short walk away from the tourist trap) and how to go without if the rare situation came up where I could not access anything cheaper.

I have been able to get a few things down to a science. One of them being how to get on in a very expensive place (aka Palm Springs)

Since I spend so little time there (only the last 10 days in a very cheap, shoddy hotel) so I could get some pool time, I was able to avoid the astronomical prices of food and drink one finds as they wander up and down Palm Canyon Drive. Even the seediest of hotels have fridges and microwaves so it is not inconvenient to cook in your room. Also every place has a continental breakfast... load up on bread, peanut butter, bagels, Philly creme cheese, fruit and yoghurt. Take enough for lunch... make sure to grab plastic plates, cutlery, napkins and condiments for later.

I don't drink much, and any drinking I did was with my own liquor at the pool or maybe one or two in my room in the evening. Alcohol and gasoline are the only things that are cheaper in the US anymore... everything else is more expensive than Canada as one not only has to add 23% to the cost of everything, but the shelf price of everything from beans to cheese to clothes to toiletries is the same as home.

The tipping culture is RIGHT OUT OF CONTROL in America and so is the pricing at restaurants in Palm Springs, so I was told by a Canadian couple at the pool who were not only astounded by the cost of meals, but how everything is a la carte so they can soak you even more. On my whole trip of 2 months, I only had one restaurant meal and that was at Denny's in Albuquerque. It was a terribly disappointing meal (I remember when Denny's was the home of massive portions of food). The meal (pot roast) was $14, the service poor and I never drank anything.... I didn't even leave an oil change coupon...

Costco and Walmart were godsends for cheap food....Chicken caesar salad for $4, a huge bowl of chili for $3, a big slice of combo pizza for $2. I would sometimes get a value combo meal at a fast food place like Del Taco where one can get a small fry, 2 tacos and a soda for 5 bucks.

What I don't understand is that the vast, vast majority of StewPot posters are extremely high paid professionals.... Why are any of you complaining when you have absolutely no problem paying enormous prices for food and drink?

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:57 pm

islandboi wrote:

Dunno about the vast majority, but are a certainly a few here, like me, who can afford to splash out now and then.
We seldom do, because you can't just change habits overnight, if at all by the time you're our age.

We don't go out that much and it's hard for me to convince my Aberdonian wife that it's worth paying much more to rise above the endless plains of stodge.
It gets even more difficult if you're in a group.

desertstorm
Stew Ingredient

Post by desertstorm » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:00 pm

I have a feeling islandboi and I could be good travel companions. You have no fucking idea how cheap I am when travelling, although I would try to inflict this cheapness only to myself, I understand other people have no problem paying that €4 double espresso instead of drinking lukewarm old coffee out of a thermoflask on a bench.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:02 pm

Klara wrote:
The apricots are very nice around the Valais region . We bought some at roadside stands.
Most of the time we ate sandwiches, cafeteria food or at wife's cousin's house. I can only remember two or three nights where we ate out except when treating cousin and his wife.

In Lucerne we had most expensive schnitzel ever. At least it was pretty good quality.

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:08 pm

What I don't understand is that the vast, vast majority of StewPot posters are extremely high paid professionals...
Half of us are teachers.

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:08 pm

^^ we all know you teachers get paid a fortune and are huge bludgers who only work 35 hour weeks 40 weeks a year..
Lincoln told us..

It used to kill me paying for airport food when going to or coming from a FIFO camp, where every thing food related was free..

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:12 pm

GLimpet wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:02 pm
Klara wrote:
The apricots are very nice around the Valais region . We bought some at roadside stands.
Most of the time we ate sandwiches, cafeteria food or at wife's cousin's house. I can only remember two or three nights where we ate out except when treating cousin and his wife.

In Lucerne we had most expensive schnitzel ever. At least it was pretty good quality.
I don't remember eating out in Switzerlnd either. We cooked ourselves most of the time.
Apricots were very nice and also crazy expensive.

desertstorm
Stew Ingredient

Post by desertstorm » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:16 pm

I found the only way to have a holiday in Switzerland is hypnotizing yourself not to look at the price of things or worse, constantly comparing it to what you would pay at home.

rezuar
Stew Ingredient

Post by rezuar » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:20 pm

I paid the equivalent of €12 for a coffee in Piazza San Marco back in 2000.
It was worth every sip.
Keep an open mind but not so open your brain falls out.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:22 pm

I do need to change my attitude in general regarding money. I doubt I'll start packing sandwiches to resorts, but I could save loads of money if I just changed the way I think about spending on restaurants and nightclubs.

I also need to start cooking at home more again. I basically quit cooking 3 months ago and it hasn't been good for my bank account.

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:29 pm

I try not to compare prices too much. It's not helpful in any way, really. You just decide how much you're willing to spend on what and in what situation.
I was in St Moritz a couple of summers ago, for example. We were wet and cold and wearing summer clothes (we were staying in Livigno) and we were feeling pretty miserable. In that particular situation it seemed reasonable to sit somewhere warm and have coffee and cake for what seemed like an absolutely insane amount of money.

When I was 18 I had an espresso in Paris that cost me almost as much as a night at our hostel. Again, worth every penny. We lived on bread and cheese otherwise.
Last edited by Klara on Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mishmish
Stew Ingredient

Post by mishmish » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:35 pm

Not very willing.
I'm perfectly happy to spend stupid sums on special food occasionally, based on budget, also to try out interesting unknowns or just because the venue is amazing or even extremely convenient, but am quite a bit stingier about overpriced drinks. Harry's bar does not count as an amazing venue.

Overpriced food is often not special in any way, and a big no to that. I put effort into limiting that, but sometimes it's unavoidable.

I make sure to arrive at airports pre-fed. If I have a lay-over, I just suck it up and seek out the least nasty light eats. One thing I will never do again is get on any 4+ hour flight in the US without bringing food with me. Those airlines are evil. Same with long bus/train rides. Travel is a special situation though, being held captive and all.

About town or at work with all options available, if I need sustenance, street food/cafe food like falafel, sandwich, shwarma, hummus bowl or grocery cooked food/bowl type things are the go-to. If out for casual lunch or dinner with friends or family I also get situated with reasonably priced options (the more festive the occasion the more flexible I get). Ski resorts and the like are things that I tend to avoid due to, among other things, very low joy : price quotient.

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:40 pm

I only had one restaurant meal and that was at Denny's in Albuquerque. It was a terribly disappointing meal (I remember when Denny's was the home of massive portions of food). The meal (pot roast) was $14, the service poor and I never drank anything.... I left $2 which weas more than enough.
was it even food you had?
DCComic "3000 dead Americans is slightly less than fuck all",

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:41 pm

I hate getting ripped off, so $100 dinners are as rare as $300 rooms.

In Aspen you really have no choice.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:44 pm

There was a “cafe” near where I used to live in Tokyo called Cafe Rich Man. It was actually more like a hostess bar. It was $100 (¥10,000) for a cup of coffee there. Must be some gooooood coffee!
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!

mishmish
Stew Ingredient

Post by mishmish » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:44 pm

islandboi wrote:
Why are any of you complaining when you have absolutely no problem paying enormous prices for food and drink?
Because it's stupid to do so if you are in fact buying very little enjoyment?

cowtown
Stew Ingredient

Post by cowtown » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:12 pm

I'm willing to spend what I need to in order to get what I want at that time or not
Jim-2012 wrote:I *heart* Hitler

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:22 pm

If I am hungry and there is no alternative I will suck it up and pay the premium. Take food and drink to the airport for a layover doesn't really work. I will try to make sure I have had a good meal before showing up fora flight and if I am arriving at my destination I will wait until away from the airport to get a meal. When traveling it depends. For international travel I feel the food is part of the culture so I will usually try to eat locally for at least one meal a day, although that doesn't mean fancy. Breakfast if often be local bought bread, pastry and such for breakfast and often buying local breads, meats and cheeses and fruit for lunch that we have in the apartment.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:26 pm

Islandboi, they put philly cream cheese out at the motels you stay at? Too rich for my blood.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:35 pm

rezuar wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:20 pm
I paid the equivalent of €12 for a coffee in Piazza San Marco back in 2000.
It was worth every sip.
We paid something silly in Piazza Navona in 2003 just to sit and the kids have a couple of cokes. But you're paying for the seat I guess.
It's a great place to just sit and watch.

In 2013, at Piazza Maggiore in Bologna, in a bit not facing the piazza, we paid €1 each for coffees. We did get seats.
Bologna's not that touristy I guess.

Airports gouge every cent out of retailers that they can, just like prime sites in cities do.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/com ... 50825.html

desertstorm
Stew Ingredient

Post by desertstorm » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:59 pm

I understand one loses the right to complain and really should suck it up when you choose a holiday destination that is not known for being reasonably priced, and I often do. I often splash out on food when I think it's an experience worth spending, although many ski resorts are culinary black hole = both overpriced and mediocre, and the one I went to in the first week was particularly bad on both aspects.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:07 pm

cowtown wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:12 pm
I'm willing to spend what I need to in order to get what I want at that time or not
Yeah, this is how I feel. Sure, a $10 Bud Light is a rip off at a sporting event, but if the alternative is not having a beer I'll just pay the $10. Same attitude at airports, movies, concerts, etc.

My favorite place for concerts is an outdoor amphitheater at a winery near Seattle where you can buy their wine on site for cheap and bring in a cooler with your food. It's also why I used to love the drive thru, nothing better than watching a double feature with the top down on a warm summer night with a cooler full of snacks and drinks in the back seat.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:18 pm

Iboi...many of us got to that level of financial security because we don't waste money frivilously.
However for me it is situation dependent.
If I'm really hungry no I don't care I just buy it, just like if I really want a drink, I will take 2 vodka's out of the mini-bar at the hotel.
Also keep in mind if travelling for business it is my company not me who pays.
I had a $17 sandwhich + a $4.00 ice tea at a Mexican place at ORD a few weeks ago.
It was decent and certainly better than a MCDonalds combo meal, but probably cost double.
Now if I was spending my own money I certainly wouldn't have bought the McDonalds combo, but maybe I would have chosen a less expensive sandwhich.
That being said 85% of my airport expenses are paid for by the company.

I will pay for a tourist view but in general then I just have a drink instead of a full meal.
That being said the restaurant at the El Tovar at the Grand Canyon is quite good (especially when they get lamb in season).
You can have a decent dinner pour deux avec vin for $150-200 range, which is what i would spend in a decent place anywhere.

So it really situational.
In Venice for example we would just tell our hotel consierge how much $ we wanted to spend and let them pick places.
Worked out really well as most where in the 60-90E range with vino and for one of the most touristy places on earth ...it worked out pretty well.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:53 pm

muthafunky wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:07 pm
cowtown wrote:
Yeah, this is how I feel. Sure, a $10 Bud Light is a rip off at a sporting event, but if the alternative is not having a beer I'll just pay the $10. Same attitude at airports, movies, concerts, etc.
Me too. Those are special events for me, and I know they cost money, so I'm ready for it and I just do it.

Strangely, I cannot bring myself to drink out of a hotel mini-bar. I guess I've done it before at some point, but it just seems like the most crazy waste of money to me.
Things fall apart, it's scientific.

Ledbetter
Stew Ingredient

Post by Ledbetter » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:25 pm

lolasf wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:53 pm
muthafunky wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:07 pm
cowtown wrote:
Me too. Those are special events for me, and I know they cost money, so I'm ready for it and I just do it.

Strangely, I cannot bring myself to drink out of a hotel mini-bar. I guess I've done it before at some point, but it just seems like the most crazy waste of money to me.
All of that^^^^.

I'll splurge on special occasions but they're few and far between. I'm not fond of staying at cinder block chain hotels, and usually look for something much cozier for a fraction of the price.

This is my latest find when coming or going out of country, while friends stay at the airport Holiday Inn..Gah!!!!

http://1915hotel.com/en/about-us/

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:54 pm

I will now grab an overpriced sandwich or piece of pizza at the airport (it's taken me years to get to that point!) if I'm hungry, but I still just can't bring myself to spend money on overpriced meals in hotel restaurants. For example - this was several years ago now - we got a deal on a ritzy Sheraton in Hawaii (I think Homerj has stayed there) and we did not once eat anything inside the hotel because it was stupidly expensive, with no reputation for actually being good. One evening I really wanted some kind of snack and I almost brought myself to pay the $17 US in the snack bar for a small portion of fries, or whatever they had, but in the end we drove over to a nearby shopping centre and picked up something to eat in our room instead.

That hotel was especially bad as it was a bit out of town and there was no place else to eat within walking distance. But the menu didn't look particularly good and it was just more money than I could handle parting with for mediocre food. Luckily, the shopping centre 5 minutes drive away had a decent Thai restaurant as well as a grocery store.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:59 pm

That all sounds pretty reasonable to me, Scrubb.

guruwil
vegemite flavored maple syrup

Post by guruwil » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:59 pm

There’s three parts to the equation, cost, quality and convenience. Bottled water is pretty much always overpriced but when you are out and about and hot and thirsty and want a safe cold drink of water you pay even it it is silly. Same for airports etc.

What price is your time and effort? Paying too much for a slice of bad pizza as opposed to planning ahead, making a sandwich at home and carrying it around with you can sometimes be a reasonable trade off, sometimes not.

If you are ina hurry and you know there is a great cheap cafe 15 minutes walk away but you need to grab something expensive or crap or both and go now, you do.
An it harm none, do what ye will

We are all Atheists about most gods, some of us just go one god further.
judik wrote:Guruwil was right!!!
jono_in_adelaide wrote:I think Guru is right on this one
“shunter” wrote: I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Guru is bang on the money here.

islandboi
Stew Ingredient

Post by islandboi » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:52 am

Klara wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:43 pm
I'll eat if I'm hungry and I'll definitely buy my son a €8 slice of pizza at Doha airport if he's hungry, but I might resent the airport a bit because of it.

I'll also make sandwiches sometimes, because home-made sandwiches are lovely and they remind me of the old days.
Homemade sandwiches are just the best!!

I also feel very smug sitting in that shithole they call Terminal 3 of LAX munching on my food watching the shocked expressions of patrons of the outrageously expensive eateries in there as they leave the establishments.

i know I lost the game of life and most people have won judging at how packed all the airport bars and restaurants are. Folks in there drinking and eating with impunity.

islandboi
Stew Ingredient

Post by islandboi » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:59 am

guruwil wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:59 pm
Bottled water is pretty much always overpriced but when you are out and about and hot and thirsty and want a safe cold drink of water you pay even it it is silly. Same for airports etc.
Airports are so greedy, I often wonder when they are going to start charging for water at bubblers... and perhaps someday even the very air you breath in them.

Again, being the king of cheap, I always carry an empty water bottle in my carry on so I can fill up with tap water to drink whilst I eat or just sit waiting. Also fill up for the flight once I am in the secured area.

LA's tap water is very hard but perfectly good to drink.... NYC has very good tap water... No chemicals in it at all..... London has horrid tap water taken from the wells of mineral hell.. Incheon water is okay but smells Asian.... Singapore water, very soft but okay... Bangkok dunno know because I don't drink tap water in 3rd world countries and everything is cheap in Thailand, even in the airports.

$4 for a bottle of water in LAX.... Jesus fucking Christ.

islandboi
Stew Ingredient

Post by islandboi » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:03 pm

GLimpet wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:04 pm
High St chains in UK airports - Boots, WH Smith, Costa, etc, charge the same for sandwiches and drinks as they do in town.
A Godsend in Canadian airports is Tim Horton's... As you say, their prices are the same there as in the town. And judging how busy they are at airports, even the rich folks
utilize them.