Is April good in New Orleans?

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Is April good in New Orleans?

Post by Scrubb » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:22 am

I'm thinking about going to NO and eating all the seafood I can cram down my piehole for a week. Is April a good time to go, weather wise?

Also, any recommendations for a good swamp tour?
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Re: Is April good in New Orleans?

Post by Chip_Oatley » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:40 am

Biggest thing is to avoid the two weeks of Jazz Fest if you aren't going to that. Airfares and lodging prices go crazy. Also, it can rain like a MoFo. I actually really did not enjoy my last Jazz Fest trip. Mud mud mud, crowds, ridiculous traffic, etc. If you can find a slower time, then yes--April can be nice.

Other places you may enjoy--Houma, Lafayette.

I'll find the swamp tour I did so I can not recommend. Broken latch on side, crazy/drugged up "driver" and I got slammed into the side, hurting my wrist and hand.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:50 am

It's a sweaty shithole except for a few days in the winter. April is generally in the sweat season, but you may get a nice cold front- especially this year.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:53 am

Jazz FEstival is right at the end of April this year - think we'd be going earlier. I would love to go for the jazz festival but we're looking for a quick, cheap little trip, which that wouldn't be. I'd appreciate knowing a tour to avoid, thanks.

LS, I know it's a pretty humid place but was hoping it wasn't going to be unbearably hot in April.

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:54 am

Oh, suggestion for a hotel would also be appreciated.

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:38 am

I think any time is a good time to go to New Orleans, I love that city so much.

This hotel was not terribly expensive and really well located, right between Frenchman Street and Bourbon Street (easy walking to either) without being in the loud party center of either. It wasn't super fancy but it was very nice, and had a nice pool area. https://www.lerichelieuhotel.com/

Do go to Frenchman Street, it's great for music. Also, I found some great restaurants & bars in The Marigny, which is another cool neighborhood to check out, especially if you decide to stay in an AirBNB.

I was just there in September and did some fun tours, but no swamp stuff this time. Architecture & cemetery walking tour near Magazine Street was great, and I can recommend bars near there too (if you like a good dive).
Things fall apart, it's scientific.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:33 pm

Def. consider staying in the Marigny area. Much quieter, great restaurants, best ban mih, $3 Bushmill shots-type places.

Cab to anywhere in the quarter is about $8. I have a thread about staying there with C.Babba with all the places we ate.

I liked the very funky Olde Town Inn:

http://www.oldetowninn.com

-Free terrible breakfast, 5 minutes walk thru a homeless-lite park to Frenchman Street, 2 min. walk thru shady streets to this beautiful coffee bar:

http://theorangecouchcoffee.com

April gets a bit of rain, but it tends not to last. I just priced NO out a couple of weeks ago and there's plenty of $150 a night hotels. In Marigny you can easily stay in an old building for under $100.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:41 pm

And I also recco. Lolasf's Richleau Hotel recco. If you feel like a splurge, The Soniat House is the absolute nicest old-building-type hotel I've ever stayed at in the world and sometimes in early April you can get it for $200 by mooching around on the various discount sites:

http://www.soniathouse.com

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:06 pm

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:22 pm

April is fine. By may things start warming up. I have not been to NO in about 35 years (I used to live in south LA).
Chip_Oatley wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:40 am
Other places you may enjoy--Houma, Lafayette.
{/quote]

Chip, I just have to ask, what did you find in Houma? I lived in Houma in the 70's and at that time it certainly was on on the tourist trail. Tons of interesting stuff, but no tourists were knocking on the door.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:32 pm

I have not been there, Stanley. I read the article below, so put it on my list. Also, I have La. ancestry, and some of them lived there.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... 5185ddc944

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:47 pm

Been to Houma. It's proper Cajun Country. The old mansion was well featured in Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte.

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:55 pm

THanks to you all - I'll get back with more questions if we go ahead with this. I really want to go and you're providing all kinds of motivating ideas!

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:58 pm

THat hotel link is great - a really decent price. (Don't seem to have rooms available for a full week when we want to go, but could move if we had to.)

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:33 pm

Please go. NO is on my list and I want to get there within the next year or two so I'll be happy to ask you for all sorts of advice. The American dollar has really been the biggest reason I haven't gone.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:55 pm

Chip
Thanks. I have heard that Houma is staring to be a "destination" and since I have not been there in about 40 years I was just curious. I went to HS in Houma, who knows maybe knew some of your relatives. I will confirm that Houma really is Cajun country. When I lived there I don't think there were what I would call dance halls. The one tradition that I hear has died out are Parish Fairs. These were not "Parish" as in LA counties, these were run by the various Roman Catholic churches as fund raisers. Virtually every good sized Catholic Parish would have a fair sometime in the summer, usually for one weekend. There would be food prepared by the members of the congregation, carnival rides and games and always live Cajun music in the evening with dancing. It is a shame these have died out (and I guess replaced by the dance halls). They were a great way to experience true Cajun culture, nothing commercial about them and the further "down the bya" you got the more deep in culture they became.

BR, what took you to Houma? If for work I would assume oil industry.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:18 pm

My first wife loved the grand old Southern homes so I've seen about everything between Houma and Natchez. If Europeans had that many historic mansions in such a small area in such a gorgeous setting, it would regarded as something like Tuscany. But Southern = bad, and that goes double for deep south.

Houma house is prized for it's all white austerity. There's a famous surrealist book of pics of it in decay, plus the classic horror film connection. It's legend looms large.

I'd pick Baton Rouge for a day out from NO for all the WPA art and the chance to visit Jimmy Swaggart's City of Faith, But Houma would be a close second. Eunice is another good nowheresville. The True Detective HBO shows off Lousiana's bleak strangeness well.

But for a first trip, there's no reason to leave the Quarter. They even have impressive stately homes to visit.

nycfellow
Stew Ingredient

Post by nycfellow » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:14 pm

It's a great time to go. The Hotel Monteleone is great if you can get a deal on it. They have a bar made out of a carousel. It rotates!

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:24 pm

Scrubb wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:58 pm
THat hotel link is great - a really decent price. (Don't seem to have rooms available for a full week when we want to go, but could move if we had to.)
La Richelieu? It really is a nice choice.
BeatRaven wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:33 pm
Def. consider staying in the Marigny area. Much quieter, great restaurants, best ban mih, $3 Bushmill shots-type places.

Cab to anywhere in the quarter is about $8
Yeah, it was a good variety of dive bars and upscale restaurants, with random hippy coffee shops. AirBNB options are all over that area.

My AirBNB was near the Rampart/St. Claude streetcar stop, which you can take to go check out other areas (and is just fun to ride). The streetcar will deliver you to the Sculpture Garden in City Park, which I always recommend people check out. It's really nice! Or better yet, take the streetcar to Blue Oak BBQ (seriously good), eat a killer sandwich, then get a cold cocktail to go & walk the rest of the way to the garden.
https://www.blueoakbbq.com/
Things fall apart, it's scientific.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:53 pm

I'm hoping to make a wednesday-saturday trip to NO this Fall.
This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:06 am

Stan, maybe we are kin.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:29 pm

You are in luck, it is highly unlikely. I don't have any family there. I moved there with my family from MO. My dad's job took us there. The food and the fishing are fantastic, the scenery has a real beauty to it once you learn to appreciate it. The weather pretty much sucks.