polska

Point, shoot, leave.
veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

polska

Post by veronica_inheels » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:18 am

is amazing.
here is few photos. i am currently in gdansk. love the food.

my cousin

You only get one turn on this merry-go-round of life. Chase your happiness. -Nines

rezuar
Stew Ingredient

Re: polska

Post by rezuar » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:38 am

Any chance you´ll get closer to my neck of woods, Ron? Krakow, maybe?
Keep an open mind but not so open your brain falls out.

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:25 pm

That second photo is an award-worthy image, in my opinion, but you should be able to view it without lying on your side. Here it is, right-side-up:

I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

Total Reject
Stew Ingredient

Post by Total Reject » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:30 pm

Poland is amazing.
Here are some old photos from the Tatras and Bieszczady mountains.

Poloniny at Bieszczady

Total Reject
Stew Ingredient

Post by Total Reject » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:34 pm

I also like that second photo you posted, Veronica.

What do they call that blocky-looking building in Gdansk, behind your cousin?

avalon_
Stew Ingredient

Post by avalon_ » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:36 pm

Nice photos!

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:33 pm

NorthAmerican wrote:That second photo is an award-worthy image, in my opinion, but you should be able to view it without lying on your side. Here it is, right-side-up:

Wow, that really is nice.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:05 am

I love the podhalanski dog with the sheep photo :D

Thanks guys. And thank you NA for rotating it :).

That building is called a Crane. Old crane to lift things out from ships.
Ill post more pics later.
You only get one turn on this merry-go-round of life. Chase your happiness. -Nines

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:05 pm

The mountans look very inviting
DCComic "3000 dead Americans is slightly less than fuck all",

saheli
Official Protester

Post by saheli » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:16 am

i miss home mucho

glad you like it.
i miss the food too

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:05 am

I am having a very good time. I met a couple of very interesting people.
Today i am still doing some business related stuff and then we are going to jura krakowsko- czestochowska.

After that krakow, and i may meet rezinka too :D

i want to go to budapest badly, but cousin doesnt...

saheli
Official Protester

Post by saheli » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:46 am

go to prague and budapest!!! whats wrong with your cousin? where does he want to go? what business is that?
so many questions...

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:22 am

I am in torun now.
I am so in love with poland. I come here every 4 years or so. And i never really liked it so much. Sure, traveling was fun... but...This time it is so preety, clean and the food improved. And first of all the people. Ola, i am moving back. See, i have more income coming from Poland already than i need for a good life. I dont need to work.

I am also checking windmills business right now. I will apply for "dotacje z euro"
I am wasting my life in canaduh...

saheli
Official Protester

Post by saheli » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:34 am

hold your horses my dear.

dont make any stupid decisions before .. erm ...you know. dont praise the day before the sunset. stay there for a while. for a few months or so. let Poland get through to your marrowbone and see how you feel then. cos you will feel bamboozled sooner or later, believe me. especially after jia-na-da.

rezuar
Stew Ingredient

polska

Post by rezuar » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:25 pm

Keep an open mind but not so open your brain falls out.

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:59 pm

ola.i know, i am not a novice.

my brother lost.about one milion dollars here. four yearrs ago.
his fault tho.
i can take a year.off my work in canada and come here and see. my cousin who i travel with , returned 3 years ago, and loves it.
anyways, i have not felt like this in poland before. last time, in 09,i cut my trip 2 weeks short

saheli
Official Protester

Post by saheli » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:28 am

Poland is amazing in the summer. and in the spring and even in the fall but for three months of winter I just want to kill myself quickly with an electrocution or hibernate. if you have money its the best to travel in the winter but ufortunately this is when most things are being done work and business wise.but i believe after canada it wont be that horrible for you. also it depends where you live, if you live in a nice city or in the countryside its okay and beautiful. if you live in warsaw you just want to die, its gets ugly and nasty. but again, all the life is in warsaw these days.

I know the feeling, every time I return from a longish stay abroad I dont recognize the country.i havent been home in 2 years but i refuse to believe things changed THAT much since 2009. i agree things change constantly and fast but not so much, the biggest changes happened from in 2010s.

So it must be you then and if you think you are ready to move, move.
be careful with the money though and dont trust anybody in many ways Poland is still the Wild West. Or East. The justice system is quite slow if they steal from you you most likely will be able to get it back if you have contracts and everything is done legally, but it may take a long time, as prosecutors and judges are really overworked in Poland and there are not enough of them.

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:55 am

veronica_inheels wrote:i am currently in gdansk.

gdansk is such a beautiful city. i spent some time there in 2004 - just when poland joined the eu. i had lots of fun in nearby sopot too. enjoy.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:47 pm

T_R, our relatives live in the Beskid mountains. It is absolutely gorgeous up there. We've spent a few summers there and love it. Though I'm glad we don't have to be up there in the winter looking after the animals etc. The family are pretty much cut off unless they ski out.

When were you there? And whereabouts?
Pass the wine...

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:30 pm

Like leela, I have relatives in that same mountainous area. I'v never been there, but a cousin
was there to visit some relatives and took loads of photos, including one of the house in which
my paternal grandfather was born in 1881. Relatives owned the house until just a few years ago.

I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

saheli
Official Protester

Post by saheli » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:21 pm

Interesting. which part of Beskidy, as there are several parts.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:54 pm

My lot live near Wisła.
Pass the wine...

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:37 pm

And my relatives are 101km from leela's, or just under two hours by car, according to Google maps.

Total Reject
Stew Ingredient

Post by Total Reject » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:15 pm

Leela,

I arranged an internship working for the National Parks and National Forests of Poland in 1993. It wasn't an organized program, I had a discussion with a professor at my university and his research interested me. I decided I wanted to get involved, so he gave me some contacts.

I started a year in advance. It was the very early stages of the internet, and most arrangements were made by snail mail. I luckily responded to a request for information from a guy that just happened to be the son of the Director of Lasy Panstwowe (State Forests). Through this guy I procured a letter that would get me just about whatever I wanted in the Parks. I would wait several months between letters of correspondence to various people. I eventually arranged work at 8 different National Parks scattered across Poland.

It was great. 2 weeks here, 2 weeks there, I basically set my own schedule. All over the country. When I started I had no real interest in Poland, I have no family history there, but I had a good time and made lots of friends. I went back again in 1994 and had plans for graduate work with my research there, but it never panned out.

Here are some other photos from Poland during that time...

That trip to Poland changed my life. I gave several presentations when I came back and it gave me credibility with a few professors in college that I still stay in touch with today. Someday I will visit Poland again.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:11 pm

Great photos, T_R! That must have been an amazing experience. And yes, you must go back some time.

The first time I went to visit my husband's family, was in the late 70s. It seemed a huge adventure back in communist days and just the paperwork took many months of planning. Visiting now is entirely different, of course. But I do love the place. I'm lucky that my inlaws live in such a beautiful part of the country.
Pass the wine...

Shavenhead
Stew Ingredient

Post by Shavenhead » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:16 pm

Excellent photos as always from you.

Why don't you try and arrange your life so you can somehow live in both Canada and Poland? They're both beautiful countries.

You seem to have such an amazing life in Canada.
"Don't be attracted to easy paths because the paths that make your feet bleed are the only way to get ahead in life" Saddam Hussein

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:28 pm

here is another photo of the crane, the insides of it and some history:
more of Gdansk:

Malbork, teutonic castle.
kitchen in the castle:
Last edited by veronica_inheels on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:46 pm

interesting toilets. The sign for toilets in this particular castel in the middle ages, was a grunting devil

toilets looked like that:

a woman playing in the castle.

Typical summer landscape:
Torun, city of Copernicus:

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:21 pm

the key to a great eastern euro trip is a car ( or maybe everywhere else as well).
some places we stopped along the way:

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:28 am

Nice photos. Blonde > Purple

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:29 am

...The present outline of the Crane Gate in Ul. Szeroka is from 1444 and includes two powerful towers...."

I love some of those old names: Ul. Szeroka = Wide Street. We have that name here, too, but we call it Broadway. The photos are all beautiful; thanks for making me envious!

saheli
Official Protester

Post by saheli » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:38 am

I have never been to Toruń. It looks like I should go.

will you post pictures from Lwów and Kijów too? I wanna see hw they changed since my last visit.

Shavenhead
Stew Ingredient

Post by Shavenhead » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:46 am

Excellent. Keep them coming.
"Don't be attracted to easy paths because the paths that make your feet bleed are the only way to get ahead in life" Saddam Hussein

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:28 am

Def go to torun. it has a very good vibe. it wasnt destroyed during WW2 and it makes such a difference.
Do you know "pijalnia wodki i piwa"? I liked the one in torun the best.
I forgot my memory card in my cousin's computer so i dont have many photos from ukraine. I'll post what i have.

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:17 pm

You brightened my morning a little, causing me to chuckle as I read "I forgot my memory card..." It sounds like something R2-D2 might say.

A question about the photos: In the very first one at the beginning of the thread, there's no hint of water nearby. I'm guessing that the photo much farther down that shows the crane and the waterfront was taken in the same area, but farther from the crane. Is that the case?

incognita
red fanged She-devil

Post by incognita » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:52 pm

Thanks for posting Veronica. I visited Poland several years ago, and I liked it very much.
As an adult, the beer aisle at the grocery makes me feel exactly like the cereal aisle made me feel as a kid.

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:56 pm

thank you guys!

here is some more; poland, budapest, ukraine and turkey.

more malbork:
Teutonic castle kitchen in malbork :

there is a vodka drinking chain in poland i mentioned before. it is decorated in the communist style. very cheap shots and beer. and minimal food like tartar steak, herring, just small appetizers that people traditionally had with vodka. call it polish style tapas. one of the places we had some with rez when we went drinking.
here is one of the old photos on the wall from that place.

and my KRAKOW!!!!!

parliament in budapest:
i like those old cafes in budapest. i think they are my favourite cafes in the world.

rynek - main quare in lvov:

headless dude in some church in lvov:
Majdan:

hagia sophia:
and this photo below, i took for shavenhead:

i spent couple of days in Dalyan in a resort with a view of Lycian tombs. it was very relaxing, with river, manicured grounds, great swimming pool.

sorry some photos are sideways, but tinypic doesnt want to turn them around.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:23 pm

Great shots, ron and tr.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:19 am

Nice!!!!
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

saheli
Official Protester

Post by saheli » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:15 am

its hard to believe how poland has changed in the past 20 years, huh

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:08 pm

saheli, i left 25 years ago. i do go back every 3-4 years. but mostly in december as i get nostalgic.
so it was my first time in maybe 15 years that i was there in the summer and wow!

the other thing is that it did change a lot in the last 4 years. how long they are in EU? 10 years? so last 4 years made a huge difference.

it is beautiful, clean, food is great. last few times i went tehre i hated the food. they were in love with kebabs, chinese, pizza- all the things i dont like tht much. you can still get it of course, but there is so many good polish food restaurants that were not there before. i guess the pendulum swung the other way, people are back to polish over foreign.

one of my top 5 countries now. or top 2. mexico and poland

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:35 am

i can not tell you where it is because it is my favourite place in the whole world
antalya
evil eyes on a dead tree in capadocia

this is called "love valley" :D
Goreme

saheli
Official Protester

Post by saheli » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:51 am

veronica_inheels wrote:saheli, i left 25 years ago. i do go back every 3-4 years. but mostly in december as i get nostalgic.
so it was my first time in maybe 15 years that i was there in the summer and wow!

the other thing is that it did change a lot in the last 4 years. how long they are in EU? 10 years? so last 4 years made a huge difference.

it is beautiful, clean, food is great. last few times i went tehre i hated the food. they were in love with kebabs, chinese, pizza- all the things i dont like tht much. you can still get it of course, but there is so many good polish food restaurants that were not there before. i guess the pendulum swung the other way, people are back to polish over foreign.

one of my top 5 countries now. or top 2. mexico and poland

most poles eat at home anyways as polish women are the best cooks in the world.

i havnt been home in three years so I wouldnt know. warsaw has been having good restaurants and amazing places overall since at least 2004-2005. i miss the culture and all events you can have there, it made me dizzy.

glad to see that other places are catching up too

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:11 pm

Lovely photos. I love Krakow, and the coffee houses in Budapest were one of the things I was most looking forward to when planning our visit. They're so cool. Also, my eldest has just come back from Dalyan, so i enjoyed seeing those photos. I love the west and south west coast of Turkey.
Pass the wine...

Nines
Regular Guy

Post by Nines » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:56 am

You could be a professional photographer, Veronica. Beautiful photos, thank you for sharing them.

Shavenhead
Stew Ingredient

Post by Shavenhead » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:42 pm

Magnificent. I agree with Nines Veronica, you're a talented photographer.

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:08 am

thank you people :D

flatfoot
Stew Ingredient

Post by flatfoot » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:16 am

Damn, these pictures are beautiful and Poland looks really nice. I kind of lay low for a while so I didn't know you went to Turkey as well. I know how much you like it. That picture of the dead tree is arresting.

Agent009
Stew Ingredient

Post by Agent009 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:14 am

Hello there.....
One thing thats for certain, one thing thats for sure
The less you want, the more youve got, so dont you cry for more

Agent009
Stew Ingredient

Post by Agent009 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:15 am

This is happening....