The rest of the proposed 2012 platform contains strict pro-life, pro-defense and traditional marriage planks that led platform committee member Russ Walker to tell The Washington Times the current version "appears to be the most conservative platform in modern history."
Some of the highlights include:
- A "Human Life Amendment" that would, in addition to prohibiting abortion without exceptions for rape and incest, ban drugs that end pregnancy after conception.
- No legal recognition for same-sex couples. The RNC draft rejects civil unions, along with any language that affirms the legal equality of gay and lesbian couples.
- Ban on women in combat. With regards to defense, the RNC condemns what it calls "social experimentation" and opposes women's inclusion in direct combat units and infantry battalions.
- Audit the Federal Reserve. The pet cause of Rep. Ron Paul has now been embraced by GOP leaders. For the first time the platform calls for an annual audit of the Federal Reserve.
- More Arizona-style immigration laws. Politico reports the Republican platform committee adopted language calling for the completion of a border fence, the end of in-state tuition for illegal immigrants, and an end to "sanctuary cities."
- New taxes banned, except for war. The platform calls for a constitutional amendment that would require a super-majority for any tax increases, with exceptions for war and national emergencies.
- Freedom of religion (sort of). The RNC supports "the public display of the Ten Commandment s as a reflection of our history and our country's Judeo-Christian heritage." It also calls for permitting school prayer in public school events.
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/376377/ ... istory.htm