"Most Conservative Platform in Modern History"

Sponsored by Americans for a Better Tomorrow, Tomorrow
incognita
red fanged She-devil

Post by incognita » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:10 pm

This year's GOP platform is really extreme. Theocracy, anyone (particularly the last item)?

The rest of the proposed 2012 platform contains strict pro-life, pro-defense and traditional marriage planks that led platform committee member Russ Walker to tell The Washington Times the current version "appears to be the most conservative platform in modern history."

Some of the highlights include:

• A "Human Life Amendment" that would, in addition to prohibiting abortion without exceptions for rape and incest, ban drugs that end pregnancy after conception.
  • No legal recognition for same-sex couples. The RNC draft rejects civil unions, along with any language that affirms the legal equality of gay and lesbian couples.
  • Ban on women in combat. With regards to defense, the RNC condemns what it calls "social experimentation" and opposes women's inclusion in direct combat units and infantry battalions.
  • Audit the Federal Reserve. The pet cause of Rep. Ron Paul has now been embraced by GOP leaders. For the first time the platform calls for an annual audit of the Federal Reserve.
  • More Arizona-style immigration laws. Politico reports the Republican platform committee adopted language calling for the completion of a border fence, the end of in-state tuition for illegal immigrants, and an end to "sanctuary cities."
  • New taxes banned, except for war. The platform calls for a constitutional amendment that would require a super-majority for any tax increases, with exceptions for war and national emergencies.
  • Freedom of religion (sort of). The RNC supports "the public display of the Ten Commandment s as a reflection of our history and our country's Judeo-Christian heritage." It also calls for permitting school prayer in public school events.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/376377/ ... istory.htm
As an adult, the beer aisle at the grocery makes me feel exactly like the cereal aisle made me feel as a kid.

judik
Stew Ingredient

Re: "Most Conservative Platform in Modern History"

Post by judik » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:01 am

I would substitute fundamentalist for conservative
A true conservative would not be in favor of the federal government having such overreaching control over the private lives of its citizens
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Winston Churchill

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:05 am

judik wrote:I would substitute fundamentalist for conservative
A true conservative would not be in favor of the federal government having such overreaching control over the private lives of its citizens

Well said, Judi.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

tph24601
Stew Ingredient

Post by tph24601 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:54 am

Ban on women in combat. With regards to defense, the RNC condemns what it calls "social experimentation" and opposes women's inclusion in direct combat units and infantry battalions.

why do the gop hates american soldiers so much?
who exactly is it hurting if a qualified woman filight a fighter jet or operate a patriot missle?

Electrolyte
Sole Guardian of Truth and Sanity

Post by Electrolyte » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:44 am

Tax increases in case of war or national emergency is a significant softening of the conservative position of the last few years.

Regularly audit the Fed? What does that mean? Are they going to count all the currency in circulation?

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:03 pm

Regularly audit the Fed? What does that mean? Are they going to count all the currency in circulation?
Electrolyte

It means government interference in fed policy. The end to an independent federal reserve. A bunch of economic illiterates like Ron Paul dictating the running the federal reserve of the world's financial superpower.

Be afraid, very afraid.

Electrolyte

Post by Electrolyte » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:18 pm

Exactly.

incognita
red fanged She-devil

Post by incognita » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:32 pm

It's insanity. Compare this with the 1956 GOP platform :shock:

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index ... ?pid=25838

We are proud of and shall continue our far-reaching and sound advances in matters of basic human needs—expansion of social security—broadened coverage in unemployment insurance —improved housing—and better health protection for all our people. We are determined that our government remain warmly responsive to the urgent social and economic problems of our people.
Further reductions in taxes with particular consideration for low and middle income families.
Stimulate improved job safety of our workers, through assistance to the States, employees and employers;

Continue and further perfect its programs of assistance to the millions of workers with special employment problems, such as older workers, handicapped workers, members of minority groups, and migratory workers;

Strengthen and improve the Federal-State Employment Service and improve the effectiveness of the unemployment insurance system;

Protect by law, the assets of employee welfare and benefit plans so that workers who are the beneficiaries can be assured of their rightful benefits;

Assure equal pay for equal work regardless of Sex;

Clarify and strengthen the eight-hour laws for the benefit of workers who are subject to federal wage standards on Federal and Federally-assisted construction, and maintain and continue the vigorous administration of the Federal prevailing minimum wage law for public supply contracts;

Extend the protection of the Federal minimum wage laws to as many more workers as is possible and practicable;

Continue to fight for the elimination of discrimination in employment because of race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry or sex;

Provide assistance to improve the economic conditions of areas faced with persistent and substantial unemployment;

Revise and improve the Taft-Hartley Act so as to protect more effectively the rights of labor unions, management, the individual worker, and the public. The protection of the right of workers to organize into unions and to bargain collectively is the firm and permanent policy of the Eisenhower Administration.
We have asked the largest increase in research funds ever sought in one year to intensify attacks on cancer, mental illness, heart disease and other dread diseases.

We have strengthened the Food and Drug Administration, and we have increased the vocational rehabilitation program to enable a larger number of the disabled to return to satisfying activity.

We have supported measures that have made more housing available than ever before in history, reduced urban slums in local-federal partnership, stimulated record home ownership, and authorized additional low-rent public housing.

We shall continue to seek extension and perfection of a sound social security system.

Among several other planks to balance the budget & reduce debt. The platform also mentions scientific research & study into the issues, several times, so that better allocations of resources can be made.

WTF happened? Seriously, WTF happened to us? Reading this makes me realize how far astray we have gone.
As an adult, the beer aisle at the grocery makes me feel exactly like the cereal aisle made me feel as a kid.

judik
Stew Ingredient

Post by judik » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:34 pm

Wow
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Winston Churchill

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:01 pm

We shall continue to seek extension and perfection of a sound social security system.

Really? The GOP? You mean they didn't always think that was communism?
Our problem is civil obedience. -Howard Zinn

incognita
red fanged She-devil

Post by incognita » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:06 pm

To be fair, there's a whole lot in there about balancing the budget, and fiscal responsibility. I didn't quote that, because that's pretty much a given with R's. But in 1956, it seems like they were able make policy based on reality, and with an agenda of expanding rights and opportunities for everyone, not just the so-called 'job creators'.

salmonid
Hamburglar

Post by salmonid » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:37 pm

The book Nixonland provides a good explanation as to why the 1956 GOP plank looks like it was created by Bernie Sanders.

Electrolyte

Post by Electrolyte » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:29 am

Good find.

Ped_Yai
Stew Ingredient

Post by Ped_Yai » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:00 pm

But in 1956, it seems like they were able make policy based on reality,

In 1956, the US accounted for 50% of the world's GNP, and we were rolling in dough.

This isn't 1956.

Re the "Ten Commandments", I was at the Oakland Zoo (City land) about a month ago, on a real crowded day. The parking lots were full, so we had to park in an abnormal location which is only used for overflow parking. I noticed there was a plaque of the Ten Commmandment on the side of the hill which I had never noticed before. It was from decades ago.

I wondered how it was possible that this plaque had escaped the notice of the Wipe Jesus of the Map Everywhere He Dares to Raise His Head Gestapo, particularly in such a progressive city as Oakland. Turns out they were on the job after all. A week after I first noticed it the news said it was being removed.

(07-25) 16:58 PDT Oakland -- Oakland Zoo officials on Wednesday removed a monument from zoo property that a group of atheists objected to because it featured the Ten Commandments.

Joel Parrott, the zoo's executive director, said that the stone plaque marking Christian tradition was at odds with a zoo - and a diverse region.

"We try to be very sensitive to the community, so that we can be inclusive," said Parrott. "This wasn't the right location for that type of thing."

The plaque would not have been seen by most patrons of the zoo, which is owned by the city but is run by the nonprofit East Bay Zoological Society. It was behind the Snow Building, which is used by a variety of people for special events, particularly weddings.

That's how Joey Piscitelli came to see it. He rented the building for his daughter's wedding in 2008. The self-described atheist found out too late that the best shot for a photo looking over the bay also had the 6-foot tall Ten Commandments plaque.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/O ... z24TY3ZyLf
No subject on which I am called to speak is ever slighted, and if a moral lesson or a religious precept can be drawn from it, the opportunity is never allowed to pass unheeded. My constant aim is to elevate and instruct humanity.

Electrolyte

Post by Electrolyte » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:03 pm

I'd love to see a group of Muslims try to put up a statue with teachings of the Koran in some public square in a square state.

Ped_Yai
Stew Ingredient

Post by Ped_Yai » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:38 pm

Electrolyte wrote:I'd love to see a group of Muslims try to put up a statue with teachings of the Koran in some public square in a square state.

Muslims don't do statues.
No subject on which I am called to speak is ever slighted, and if a moral lesson or a religious precept can be drawn from it, the opportunity is never allowed to pass unheeded. My constant aim is to elevate and instruct humanity.

Electrolyte

Post by Electrolyte » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:30 pm

It could be a landscape or a banner with an inscription.

incognita
red fanged She-devil

Post by incognita » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:31 am

Even so, Ped, compare the 1956 platform with today's platform. Nothing but foisting religion into the public square (and how much time/tax dollars are they going to waste on this? I thought it was the economy stupid) and reducing civil rights for select groups of people.

Cisco
Stew Ingredient

Post by Cisco » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:44 am

incognita wrote:Even so, Ped, compare the 1956 platform with today's platform. Nothing but foisting religion into the public square (and how much time/tax dollars are they going to waste on this? I thought it was the economy stupid) and reducing civil rights for select groups of people.

I wanted to make that comparison, but I'm ashamed to admit that I can't locate the 2012 GOP platform online anywhere. I can find some articles that reference bits and pieces of it, but not the entire thing. A link would be very helpful.

judik
Stew Ingredient

Post by judik » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:59 am

I wanted to make that comparison, but I'm ashamed to admit that I can't locate the 2012 GOP platform online anywhere. I can find some articles that reference bits and pieces of it, but not the entire thing. A link would be very helpful.

I looked at a website that let readers comment on each part of it
It didn't look good for your side :(

ETA

it is just a draft.Politico had this to say
TAMPA, Fla. — The Republican National Committee quickly pulled down a draft copy of its 2012 platform Friday afternoon after POLITICO discovered it hidden on the committee’s web site.
The RNC has kept the document tightly held, refusing to share earlier drafts with reporters. An apparent staff error led to its posting.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/08 ... z24WkNV779

Winston Churchill

incognita
red fanged She-devil

Post by incognita » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:09 am

I had a hard time finding a copy of the whole thing as well, but since the Republican committee operative (involved with writing it) was bragging about it being 'the most conservative platform in modern history', I went ahead with the story.

No way it's going to be anything close to the 1956 platform, particularly wrt science, labor rights or humane social policy.

Edit - "Make the internet family-friendly" Eek. The end of the Stew... (at least anything NSFW, which means no more Cowtown or Fritz...)

Electrolyte

Post by Electrolyte » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:20 am

Does anyone know where to find the 2012 Taliban platform online?

Cisco
Stew Ingredient

Post by Cisco » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:37 am

incognita wrote:I had a hard time finding a copy of the whole thing as well, but since the Republican committee operative (involved with writing it) was bragging about it being 'the most conservative platform in modern history', I went ahead with the story.

So you actually haven't seen it? Then what is the basis for your statement that it is "Nothing but foisting religion into the public square (and how much time/tax dollars are they going to waste on this? I thought it was the economy stupid) and reducing civil rights for select groups of people."?

incognita
red fanged She-devil

Post by incognita » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:48 pm

The info in the article I quoted was given by the republican operative. Judy linked a Politico article that links to a draft (too bad they didn't get screen shots though). As for 'reducing people's civil rights', just look up some of the activities of the Repub party on women's reproductive rights and marriage & other LGBT issues (such as DOMA). And now, they're going to a whole another level by restricting access to voting in the states.

I think your party has abandoned you.

Edit - more insanity - calls for a study to determine returning to the gold standard. Link More wasted tax dollars & bad economic policy.

incognita
red fanged She-devil

Post by incognita » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:44 pm

tph24601
Stew Ingredient

Post by tph24601 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:31 pm

incognita wrote:Edit - more insanity - calls for a study to determine returning to the gold standard. Link More wasted tax dollars & bad economic policy.

Usually a call for study means "we really don't want to do this, but let just tell those crazy guys at the corner of the convention that we will have a panel to study this, just to shut them up....."

Scott_Baio
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scott_Baio » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:54 pm

Abortion....I can't imagine anyone giving a shit about abortion. Literally the last fucking thing on my mind.

God, you lefty's love to talk about anything but the economy.
Haters wanna hate.

incognita
red fanged She-devil

Post by incognita » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:04 pm

Scott_Baio wrote:Abortion....I can't imagine anyone giving a shit about abortion. Literally the last fucking thing on my mind.

God, you lefty's love to talk about anything but the economy.

Maybe the Repubs should stop bringing it up then.

judik
Stew Ingredient

Post by judik » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:08 pm

Frankly I thought the debate about contraception was over in the 70's after the Pill got approved
But the party who wants to take the country back-
Wants to take it back to the 50's and 60's

Winston Churchill

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:18 pm

judik wrote:Frankly I thought the debate about contraception was over in the 70's after the Pill got approved
But the party who wants to take the country back-
Wants to take it back to the 50's and 60's

No, they want to end the practice of Jesus freaks having to pay for other people's abortions. And why should they have to?

The Dumbocrats tried the same tactic with their previous love, slavery. They made it a crime for abolitionists to not return slaves to their Dumbocratic owners in 1854. Before then, the sane folks (i.e., those not of your party) tolerated the peculiar institution. Guess what happened afterward?

If you idiots were smart (asking too much, I know), you would quit rubbing the dead contents of your ovens in the faces of the thumpers and pay for your fucking abortions yourselves, or at least ask the l00ser you let fuck you split the cost.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

judik
Stew Ingredient

Post by judik » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:30 pm

No, they want to end the practice of Jesus freaks having to pay for other people's abortions. And why should they have to?

Because people pay for insurance and expect something back?
Surprised you are taking the bible thumpers side since you think they are idiots too
And since a big majority of Americans(>70%)support the rule and think it is an issue of women's health,not religious freedom,you are on the side of the crazies
Again

Winston Churchill

jono_in_adelaide
stewpid colonial

Post by jono_in_adelaide » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:28 am

The jesus freaks have to pay for other peoples abortions for the same reason vegitarians have to pay for your Lipitor and heart bypass - insurances is nothing but a means of sharing risk
Si vis pacem, para bellum

jono_in_adelaide
stewpid colonial

Post by jono_in_adelaide » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:29 am

•A "Human Life Amendment" that would, in addition to prohibiting abortion without exceptions for rape and incest, ban drugs that end pregnancy after conception

Thats scary. I dont like the ideea of abortion, and I wouldnt fel comfortable performing abortions, but i thinka womans right to choose, atleast in the first trimester, is absolute

Dagny
Stew Ingredient

Post by Dagny » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:16 am

incognita wrote:This year's GOP platform is really extreme. Theocracy, anyone (particularly the last item)?

The rest of the proposed 2012 platform contains strict pro-life, pro-defense and traditional marriage planks that led platform committee member Russ Walker to tell The Washington Times the current version "appears to be the most conservative platform in modern history."

Some of the highlights include:

• A "Human Life Amendment" that would, in addition to prohibiting abortion without exceptions for rape and incest, ban drugs that end pregnancy after conception.
  • No legal recognition for same-sex couples. The RNC draft rejects civil unions, along with any language that affirms the legal equality of gay and lesbian couples.
  • Ban on women in combat. With regards to defense, the RNC condemns what it calls "social experimentation" and opposes women's inclusion in direct combat units and infantry battalions.
  • Audit the Federal Reserve. The pet cause of Rep. Ron Paul has now been embraced by GOP leaders. For the first time the platform calls for an annual audit of the Federal Reserve.
  • More Arizona-style immigration laws. Politico reports the Republican platform committee adopted language calling for the completion of a border fence, the end of in-state tuition for illegal immigrants, and an end to "sanctuary cities."
  • New taxes banned, except for war. The platform calls for a constitutional amendment that would require a super-majority for any tax increases, with exceptions for war and national emergencies.
  • Freedom of religion (sort of). The RNC supports "the public display of the Ten Commandment s as a reflection of our history and our country's Judeo-Christian heritage." It also calls for permitting school prayer in public school events.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/376377/ ... istory.htm

WHERE IS THE ORIGINAL DOCUMENT FOR THIS???
Free Leonard!

judik
Stew Ingredient

Post by judik » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:21 am

IT WILL BE POSTED IN A FEW DAYS AND THEN THEN YOU CAN DENY IT IS AS RADICAL AS IT IS*

* only shouting because you are

Winston Churchill

Dagny
Stew Ingredient

Post by Dagny » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:32 am

judik wrote:

IT WILL BE POSTED IN A FEW DAYS AND THEN THEN YOU CAN DENY IT IS AS RADICAL AS IT IS*

* only shouting because you are

fine i'll whisper. think you are missing some words or have too many but i could not find that stuff in the politico drafts.
Free Leonard!

Dagny
Stew Ingredient

Post by Dagny » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:43 am

i do not think this is a real story. i do not think that will be their platform.
Free Leonard!

judik
Stew Ingredient

Post by judik » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:17 am

Dagny wrote:i do not think this is a real story. i do not think that will be their platform.

Why not? What have they done in the past to make you think they are not as radical as this?
Why would 2012 be any different than 2008?
]
We support a human life amendment to the Constitution, and we endorse legislation to make clear that the Fourteenth Amendment's protections apply to unborn children. We oppose using public revenues to promote or perform abortion and will not fund organizations which advocate it. We support the appointment of judges who respect traditional family values and the sanctity and dignity of innocent human life.

Or this
we call for a constitutional amendment that fully protects marriage as a union of a man and a woman, so that judges cannot make other arrangements equivalent to it.

As a libertarian how can you condone the intrusion of the government into people's personal lives?

Winston Churchill

phlebas
Stew Ingredient

Post by phlebas » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:05 pm

Andrew Sullivan's view from the Sunday Times:

Beware, Rapegate is just the start

Andrew Sullivan

It ought to be unelectable but Romney’s party is a force that threatens to destabilise America and the world

To be perfectly honest I was unaware of the concept of “forcible rape” until a few days ago. The adjective seemed somewhat superfluous, at first blush, like a “fatal murder”. But it is a concept we now know is common in pro-life, evangelical circles.

As Todd Akin, the Republican candidate for the Senate from Missouri, revealed last week, a “forcible rape” is one where raw physical violence is involved enabling, many evangelicals believe, a woman to produce some special trauma-induced secretions to prevent pregnancy.

So it’s possible to ban all abortions, including those following acts of rape or incest, because, according to this theory, real rape doesn’t make babies.

There is also a suggestion that women who do not bear bruises could be making up stories to get abortions they shouldn’t be allowed. I’m not inventing this. It’s so bizarre and offensive that you imagine Akin must be a truly fringe character in today’s Republican party. But the source for this widespread theory, John C Willke, was the leader of the largest and oldest anti-abortion organisation in America for many years. Willke was also an official advocate for Mitt Romney’s campaign in 2007, when Romney declared: “I am proud to have the support of a man who has meant so much to the pro-life movement in our country.”

More to the point, bills have been introduced in Congress in recent years using precisely Willke’s term of “forcible rape” — and one consistent vote for that language has been Paul Ryan, the Wisconsin congressman Romney has picked as his running mate. Ryan supports banning abortion in every state by constitutional amendment, including in pregnancies that result from rape or incest. The Republican manifesto to be endorsed at the convention in Tampa, Florida, this week calls for exactly the same thing.

Akin’s offence was not one of substance. He was inelegantly saying what his own party believes. His offence was to bring acute focus on the party’s views on social and cultural issues, just when Romney wanted to focus exclusively on Barack Obama’s economic record. This is Romney’s truly difficult balancing act at the convention. He must somehow appeal to the few remaining moderates and independents, while his party has adopted the most extreme agenda of any mainstream party in the West. He has to cover up the extremism while not dampening the enthusiasm of volunteers, who are motivated more by passion and fear than by reason and argument.

The increasing radicalism of the Republicans is becoming a real threat to the stability of of the world Am I exaggerating? Have I become some leftie? I used to be comfortable in the libertarian fringes of the Republican party. I gladly supported Ronald Reagan and the first George Bush and the second Bush (once). But I truly believe that in the past decade the Republicans have become a party unfit for national government. As they gather in Florida they are Labour in 1983 or the Tories immediately after Tony Blair — except in the American system they still wield real power. Their increasing radicalism, without any moderating influences at all, is becoming a real threat to the stability of America and of the world.

Take issue after issue. The party’s mainstream position is that climate change is a hoax and more carbon energy is harmless and indeed vital.

Ryan has accused climate-change scientists of deliberately misleading the public.

On immigration the party supports a vast wall across the southern border and the eventual deportation of the nation’s 11m illegal immigrants.

On the deficit and debt, the party is the only one in the West that refuses to raise any revenues to close the gap. Romney has said that if he were offered a deal by the Democrats to cut the deficit that was one-tenth tax increases and nine-tenths spending cuts, he would turn it down because of the tax increases — at a time when US tax revenues are lower, as a proportion of GDP, than for the past 50 years. More amazingly, a Romney presidency would tackle the debt by cutting taxes on everyone, especially the super-rich, by vastly increasing defence spending and by making all the cuts in medical care affect the elderly and the poor. Even then the budget would not be balanced for three decades.

On the health insurance that Obama has made possible for 30m working poor? Repealed entirely. Gay rights? A constitutional amendment to ban any legal recognition of gay couples in any state, including civil partnerships. Foreign policy? A commitment to more Jewish settlements in the West Bank, a war against Iran’s nuclear facilities, the return of torture as an instrument of war, a ramping up of the Afghanistan war and an immediate confrontation with China over trade and Russia over almost everything. More tragically, the party views the Arab spring not as what George W Bush dreamt of but as a radical threat to America as great as communism once was.

I truly wish I were making this up. But the radicalisation of the Republicans under Dick Cheney and Bush Jr, the purge of any moderate figures in the Senate this past decade and the religious zeal and visceral, near-violent hatred of Obama that fuels the entire enterprise leave my jaw somewhere in my lap.

Yet the real news is that this ticket and this agenda is nonetheless basically dead level with Obama in the national polls and closing the gap in the swing states. In this economy, I'd argue, the racialism of Ryan-Romney is the favorite to win. The polarisation in America — the mutual hatred and contempt that divide the country — means increasingly there is no cost to one party’s becoming essentially a rogue elephant. Hatred for the other side commands loyalty regardless.

This August the number of Americans genuinely undecided is minuscule compared with previous years. The polls look like the ones you’d see in October, when almost all minds are made up. Epic disasters such as last week’s “Rapegate” or even new positive developments, such as Romney’s selection of Ryan, have not moved the polls an inch. With so much support locked in on both sides and rational debate all but abandoned, what we have left is a kind of cold civil war. About $500m (£316m) was spent this summer on brutal advertisements on both sides — with the result being basically the same as it was in the spring.

Which means this week’s convention may be less critical than usual. The networks are giving it only four hours of coverage over the week and a hurricane might intervene. The exposure usually gives the party a bounce but this will probably be evened out after the Democrats gather the following week. Then it’s back to mutual hatred and the avalanche of sleaze triggered by the Republicans’ billionaire donors. I have the feeling we’ll be talking about the definition of rape right through to November 6.

They are suggesting turning religious viewpoints into political policy, then enforcing them using the power of the state. Which is wrong.

It is bad enough in some hot and sandy shithole, let alone America.
Falling Outside the Normal Moral Constraints

tph24601
Stew Ingredient

Post by tph24601 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:14 pm

Lost Soul wrote:The Dumbocrats tried the same tactic with their previous love, slavery. They made it a crime for abolitionists to not return slaves to their Dumbocratic owners in 1854. Before then, the sane folks (i.e., those not of your party) tolerated the peculiar institution. Guess what happened afterward?

Democrats were a bunch of racist back in the days. True.

Although funny enough, nearly all the confederate slave states now are all solidly republicans.

jono_in_adelaide
stewpid colonial

Post by jono_in_adelaide » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:02 am

Its just a step to the right.....and then a jump to the righttttttt.... lets do the time warp again!

incognita
red fanged She-devil

Post by incognita » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:00 pm

Aaaaaannd, here it is, released today: http://www.scribd.com/doc/104221532/2012-Gop-Platform

incognita
red fanged She-devil

Post by incognita » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:23 pm

Taxes:
To that end, we propose to:
Extend the 2001 and 2003 tax relief packages—commonly known as the Bush taxcuts—pending reform of the tax code, to keeptax rates from rising on income, interest, divi-dends, and capital gains;
Reform the tax code by reducing marginaltax rates by 20 percent across-the-board in arevenue-neutral manner;
Eliminate the taxes on interest, dividends,and capital gains altogether for lower and middle-income taxpayers;
End the Death Tax;
and Repeal the Alternative Minimum Tax

A Sacred Contract: Defense of Marriage (Really? Sacred contract?)

We reaffirm our support for a Constitutional amendment defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman. We applaud the citizens of the majority of States which have enshrined in their constitutions the traditional concept of marriage, and we support the campaigns underway in several otherStates to do so.

States Rights
Federalism and The Tenth Amendment
We support the review and examination of all federal agencies to eliminate wasteful spending, op-erational inefficiencies, or abuse of power to deter-mine whether they are performing functions that are better performed by the States.

Voter Integrity to Ensure Honest Elections
Honest elections are the foundation of representative government. We support State efforts to ensure ballot access for the elderly, the handicapped, military personnel, and all authorized voters. For the same reason, we applaud legislation to require photo identification for voting and to prevent election fraud,particularly with regard to registration and absentee ballots. We support State laws that require proof of citizenship at the time of voter registration to protect ourelectoral system against a significant and growing formof voter fraud. Every time that a fraudulent vote is cast,it effectively cancels out a vote of a legitimate voter.
Voter fraud is political poison. It strikes at theheart of representative government. We call on every citizen, elected official, and member of the judiciary to preserve the integrity of the vote. We call for vigorous prosecution of voter fraud at the State and federal level. To do less disenfranchises present andfuture generations. We recognize that having a physical verification of the vote is the best way to ensurea fair election.

Photo ID wouldn't be applicable to absentee ballots; and election fraud =\= voter fraud. Big steaming pile of BS here, as the actual incidence of voter fraud is so rare as to be non-existent.

Boop, there it is:

We pledge to respect the religious beliefs andrights of conscience of all Americans and to safeguardthe independence of their institutions from govern-ment. We support the public display of the Ten Commandments as a reflection of our history and of ourcountry’s Judeo-Christian heritage, and we affirm theright of students to engage in prayer at public schoolevents in public schools and to have equal access topublic schools and other public facilities to accom-modate religious freedom in the public square. Weassert every citizen’s right to apply religious values topublic policy and the right of faith-based organiza-tions to participate fully in public programs withoutrenouncing their beliefs, removing religious symbols,or submitting to government-imposed hiring prac-tices. We oppose government discrimination against businesses due to religious views. We support theFirst Amendment right of freedom of association of the Boy Scouts of America and other service organi-zations whose values are under assault and condemnthe State blacklisting of religious groups which de-cline to arrange adoptions by same-sex couples. Wecondemn the hate campaigns, threats of violence, and vandalism by proponents of same-sex marriageagainst advocates of traditional marriage and call fora federal investigation into attempts to deny religious believers their civil rights.

incognita
red fanged She-devil

Post by incognita » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:44 pm

Support for Citizen's United & unlimited contributions. Ugh:
The First Amendment:Speech that is Protected
The rights of citizenship do not stop at the ballot box. They include the free speech right to devote one’s resources to whatever cause or candidate one supports. We oppose any restrictions or conditions that would discourage Americans from exercising their constitutional right to enter the political fray or limit their commitment to their ideals. As a result, we support repeal of the remaining sections of McCain-Feingold, support either raising or repealing contribution limits, and oppose passage of the DISCLOSE Actor any similar legislation designed to vitiate theSupreme Court’s recent decisions protecting politicalspeech in Wisconsin Right to Life v. Federal ElectionCommission and Citizens United v. Federal ElectionCommission.

I do completely support this plank:
The Fourth Amendment:Liberty and Privacy
Affirming “the right of the people to be secure intheir houses, papers, and effects, against unreason-able searches and seizures,” we support pending leg-islation to prevent unwarranted or unreasonablegovernmental intrusion through the use of aerial surveillance or flyovers on U.S. soil, with the exceptionof patrolling our national borders.

Personhood amendment:
The Sanctity and Dignity of Human Life
Faithful to the “self-evident” truths enshrined inthe Declaration of Independence, we assert the sanc-tity of human life and affirm that the unborn child has a fundamental individual right to life which can-not be infringed. We support a human life amend-ment to the Constitution and endorse legislation tomake clear that the Fourteenth Amendment’s protections apply to unborn children.

Terry Schiavo plank? So people who are in a vegetative state, never to revive are to be kept that way until they die naturally (which could be many, many years)?
We oppose the non-consensual withholding or withdrawal of care ortreatment, including food and water, from people with disabilities, including newborns, as well as theelderly and infirm, just as we oppose active and pas-sive euthanasia and assisted suicide

Flag desecration (so much for first amendment rights)
By whatever legislative method ismost feasible, Old Glory should be given legal protec-tion against desecration.

What.the.fuck. I guess the US just doesn't have enough rhino horn aphrodisiacs.
The Lacey Act of 1900, designed to protect en-dangered wildlife in interstate commerce, is now ap-plied worldwide, making it a crime to use, in ourdomestic industries, any product illegally obtained inthe country of origin, whether or not the user hadanything to do with its harvesting. This unreasonableextension of the Act not only hurts American busi-nesses and American jobs, but also subordinates ourown rule of law to the legal codes of 195 other gov-ernments. It must be changed.

incognita
red fanged She-devil

Post by incognita » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:47 pm

Take your kids to the national parks now, before they disappear. TR must be rolling in his grave:

The U. S. Forest Service controls about 193 mil-lion acres of land and employs 30,000 workers. TheForest Service should be charged to use these re-sources to the best economic potential for the nation. We must limit injunctions by activist judges regardingenvironmental management.

and later on
By the same token, the most economically advanced countries–those that respect and protect private property rights—also have the strongest environmental protections, because their economic progress makes possible the conservation of natural resources. In this context, Congress should reconsider whether parts of the federal government’s enormous landholdings and control of water in the West could be better used for ranching,mining, or forestry through private ownership.

and still later on (because making $ is more important than preserving our natural heritage):
The Republican Party supports appointing pub-lic officials to federal agencies who will properly andcorrectly apply environmental laws and regulations,always in support of economic development, job cre-ation, and American prosperity and leadership.

incognita
red fanged She-devil

Post by incognita » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:56 pm

Voucher-based Medicare programs:
While retaining the option of traditional Medicare in competition with private plans, we call for a transition to a premium support model for Medicare, with an income-adjusted contribution toward a health plan of the enrollee’s choice. This model will include private health insurance plans that provide catastrophic protection, to ensure the continuation of doctor-patient relationships. Without disadvantaging retirees or those nearing retirement, the age eligibility for Medicare must be made more realistic in terms of today’s longer life span

Retirement? You're on your own:
To restore public trust inthe system, Republicans are committed to setting iton a sound fiscal basis that will give workers control over, and a sound return on, their investments. Thesooner we act, the sooner those close to retirementcan be reassured of their benefits and younger work-ers can take responsibility for planning their own re-tirement decades from now

Looks like they're going to remove govt. insurance of private pensions as well. Ironic, considering that Bain Capital would loot the pension funds of companies they were shutting down, and leaving the Feds to bail them out:
Unlike Social Security, the problems facing pri- vate pension plans are both demographic andethical. While pension law may be complicated, thecurrent bottom line is that many plans are increas-ingly underfunded by overestimating their rates of re-turn on investments. This in turn endangers theintegrity of the Pension Guaranty Benefit Corpora-tion, which is itself seriously underfunded. In bothcases, the taxpayers will be expected to pay for a bailout. As the first step toward possible corrective ac-tion, we call for a presidential panel to review the pri- vate pension system in this country of only thoseprivate pensions that are backed by the PensionGuaranty Benefit Corporation and to make publicits findings

incognita
red fanged She-devil

Post by incognita » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:22 am

Oh look, they liked it so much, they put it in twice:

Preserving and ProtectingTraditional Marriage
The institution of marriage is the foundation of civil society. Its success as an institution will deter-mine our success as a nation. It has been proven by both experience and endless social science studiesthat traditional marriage is best for children. Chil-dren raised in intact married families are morelikely to attend college, are physically and emotion-ally healthier, are less likely to use drugs or alcohol,engage in crime, or get pregnant outside of marriage.The success of marriage directly impacts the eco-nomic well-being of individuals. Furthermore, thefuture of marriage affects freedom. The lack of family formation not only leads to more government costs, but also to more government control over the livesof its citizens in all aspects.

OMG! Please think of the children!
The Internet must be made safe for children. Wecall on service providers to exercise due care to en-sure that the Internet cannot become a safe haven forpredators while respecting First Amendment rights. We congratulate the social networking sites that barknown sex offenders from participation. We urge ac-tive prosecution against child pornography, which isclosely linked to the horrors of human trafficking.Current laws on all forms of pornography and obscenity need to be vigorously enforced

cuchulainn
Instigator

Post by cuchulainn » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:27 am

They want to kill progressive taxation.

incognita
red fanged She-devil

Post by incognita » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:37 am

And now, the Dem Platform: http://assets.dstatic.org/dnc-platform/ ... atform.pdf

Haven't read the entire thing yet, but here is the table of contents from the Dem website:

Moving America Forward
Rebuilding Middle Class Security
Putting Americans Back to Work
The Middle Class Bargain
Cutting Waste, Reducing the Deficit, Asking All to Pay Their Fair Share
Economy Built to Last
America Works When Everyone Plays by the Same Rules
Wall Street Reform
21st Century Government: Transparent and Accountable
Lobbying Reform and Campaign Finance Reform
Greater Together
Strengthening the American Community
Protecting Rights and Freedoms
Ensuring Safety and Quality of Life
Stronger in the World, Safer and More Secure At Home
Responsibly Ending the War in Iraq
Disrupting, Dismantling, and Defeating Al-Qaeda
Responsibly Ending the War in Afghanistan
Preventing the Spread and Use of Nuclear Weapons
Countering Emerging Threats
Strengthening Alliances, Expanding Partnerships, and Reinvigorating International Institutions
Promoting Global Prosperity and Development
Maintaining the Strongest Military in the World
Advancing Universal Values

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Re:

Post by Lost Soul » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:13 am

cuchulainn wrote:They want to kill progressive taxation.

I'll pull that trigger myself.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!