Forest Bathing

The Richard Allan Bodine Lounge... have a drink and talk about whatever you'd like

Moderator: Moderator

Higgs Bossom
Stew Ingredient

Forest Bathing

Post by Higgs Bossom » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:06 pm

Do you like to commune with the trees? Or, is this just dirty hippy nonsense?
‘Forest bathing,’ or immersing yourself in nature, is being embraced by doctors and others as a way to combat stress and improve health.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/12/well ... ion=Health

Usher73
Stew Ingredient

Re: Forest Bathing

Post by Usher73 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:13 pm

Goofy crap

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:21 pm

I just read 2 books on it!!

I'm in the deep forest behind my house twice a day for 45 minutes. I use ear plugs since there is a little traffic noise from the far away road. I have a plastic chair under a huge tree. Early morning and dusk are the best times.

I emerge like I just had a perfect long nap. I find it impossible to maintain anger back there. I get the big mortality message from observing logs decomposing and how it's nothing personal. It makes me want to heal the forest and myself. Best forest meditation ever is Mount Koyasan in Japan. In Japan, the scented forest (usually cypress) is a big interest.

I am skeptical of the double your white blood cells in 2 hours claims, but I do (possibly) believe that you're breathing in micro stuff that's good for you. Where I live, people do live a lot longer than the average and don't ever want to stray to far from the woods. After a week, I get hungry for them myself. 2 weeks? I'm actively seeking out woods like I did in Kauai.

Hidden Life of Tree's was a great read; the Forest Bathing book was 2 pages of ideas stretched out to be a book. I read one about the science of it and it too was padded and a bit specious in it's claims.

guruwil
vegemite flavored maple syrup

Post by guruwil » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:22 pm

Great thing to do spoiled by a stoopid name.
I do find that taking a walk in a beautiful forest does great things for state af mind and health etc. we call it bushwalking, some call it hiking, some call it tramping. It doesnt need new names.
An it harm none, do what ye will

We are all Atheists about most gods, some of us just go one god further.
judik wrote:Guruwil was right!!!
jono_in_adelaide wrote:I think Guru is right on this one
“shunter” wrote: I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Guru is bang on the money here.

WhosieWho
Stew Ingredient

In the Nude?

Post by WhosieWho » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:23 pm

Pix or it didn't happen
"This entire paragraph is just repeating Fake News. There was NO blood, NO semen and there was NO Satanism. Delete." -- The Editor

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:25 pm

I always feel better after a week of drinking Raw Water and crapping into holes in the ground.
This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.

Unwashed_Pom
Stew Ingredient

Post by Unwashed_Pom » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:26 pm

Kiki, the newly trained forest therapist.

Snerk, chuckle, guffaw....

Usher73
Stew Ingredient

Post by Usher73 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:28 pm

A walk in the woods. Who wrote that book?

Unwashed_Pom
Stew Ingredient

Post by Unwashed_Pom » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:30 pm

Dunno. But Lou played a big part in walking on the wildside.

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:31 pm

It’s always worked for me - nothing better in the world than a walk, run or swim outdoors. Today I swam in the Adriatic and watched schools of fish on the limestone floor beneath me, looking across at karst islands in the Kvarner Gulf, then went for a long run in a nearby mixed forest. And undid all the physical good work with two beers and a shot of mistletoe liquor... but the mental at-one-with-the-world part remains intact.
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:33 pm

Having said that... I still need my big dirty cities. It’s good to have extremes.
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

DianaHaddad
Stew Ingredient

Post by DianaHaddad » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:36 pm

I grew up in the woods. They're not particularly interesting to me, though I like trees and hate it when people chop them down without thought. I do get a benefit from being by the water, though. Even better if I can smell salt air while I'm at it.
"Suck it, Trebek."

Nines
Regular Guy

Post by Nines » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:53 pm

Usher73 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:28 pm
A walk in the woods. Who wrote that book?
Bill Bryson

Unwashed_Pom
Stew Ingredient

Post by Unwashed_Pom » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:54 pm

Kiki probably extols the virtues of, fruits of the forest yogurt for breakfast as well although I can never ever remember seeing fruit growing in the forest.

Ledbetter
Stew Ingredient

Post by Ledbetter » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:58 pm

I'm okay with it.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:11 pm

Going for a walk is probably good for you. So is peace and quiet.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

Unwashed_Pom
Stew Ingredient

Post by Unwashed_Pom » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:39 pm

Wiping your arse with bracken fern doesn't exactly give you a warm and funny buzz.

Unwashed_Pom
Stew Ingredient

Post by Unwashed_Pom » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:41 pm

Speaking of shitting in the woods. Has anyone actually scoped a bear laying a cable?

avalon_
Stew Ingredient

Post by avalon_ » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:42 pm

Please nobody link the diarrhea bear video.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:43 pm

Ledbetter wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:58 pm
I'm okay with it.
I'd love to see what the student wrote to accompany 'girls kissing through cress on surgical masks'.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

avalon_
Stew Ingredient

Post by avalon_ » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:48 pm

I'm too tired to read the article, but I definitely need nature and forest walks. I think that's one of my frustrations with where I live. There's no forest.

VinceFoster
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinceFoster » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:12 pm

This film is very much like a rip to the forest:

I'm so excited you decided
to come over and beg.

Ped_Yai
Stew Ingredient

Post by Ped_Yai » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:14 pm

It's not a real thing if it doesn't have its own product line.
No subject on which I am called to speak is ever slighted, and if a moral lesson or a religious precept can be drawn from it, the opportunity is never allowed to pass unheeded. My constant aim is to elevate and instruct humanity.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:26 pm

It's the same progression as meditation being simplified down to mindfulness, which is easier for most people to do in little dribs and drabs.

Forest meditation has ancient roots and now they're make it less demanding and calling it a forest bath. Like, Be Here Now, but in the forest.

'Can't fault it.

Nines
Regular Guy

Post by Nines » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:57 pm

Pining for the forest.

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:00 am

I took a shower here, in the Azores, and have pic to prove it. :o

mishmish
Stew Ingredient

Post by mishmish » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:04 am

I like ti sit snd contemplate in the forest but mention of forest bathing puts me right off my breakfast

Unwashed_Pom
Stew Ingredient

Post by Unwashed_Pom » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:12 am

I have seen a koala shitting in the woods but they're not really a bear.

Little lnown factoid. Because they hardly bat a eyelid for hours at a time and remain sitting in the same tree fork for days on end, the best way of finding a koala is to look under the tree for a pile of little brown nuggets. Nine times out of ten the dopey little bugger is still up there in a stupor.

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:09 am

"Kiki had been trained according to standards set by the Association of Nature and Forest Therapy, a professional group that has certified more than 300 people across North America to be forest therapy guides, among them psychotherapists, nurses and six M.D.s. The sessions are modeled after the Japanese tradition of shinrin-yoku, or forest bathing."

That's impressive! More than 300 people certified across North America. For the sake of simplicity, let's ignore Canada and Mexico and assume that those people are all in the United States. That works out to only 6.25 certified forest therapy guides per state. I wonder how long the waiting list is.

The report was actually helpful to me: My primary care physician retired as of July 3, so I'm about to start a search for a new doctor. One question I'll be sure to ask is "Are you certified by the Association of Nature and Forest Therapy?" If the doctor answers yes, I will resist the urge to roll my eyes, but I'll thank the doctor and walk out.
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

Higgs Bossom
Stew Ingredient

Post by Higgs Bossom » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:12 am

This may be my favorite place to have ever visited. I am jonesing to go back. I like all types of forests, but redwoods are special.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:30 am

The term is a translation from japanese
This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.

Unwashed_Pom
Stew Ingredient

Post by Unwashed_Pom » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:07 am

Jonesing?

Is that the same as gagging?

avalon_
Stew Ingredient

Post by avalon_ » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:27 am

JOnesing means having a strong desire to do something.

I agree about the redwoods. Sometimes I get a strong feeling that I just need them.

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:40 am

avalon_ wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:27 am
My understanding is that the term comes from "Keeping up with the Jones'." This thought that you're spending or acting or otherwise doing something that you wouldn't ordinarily do except that you want to be of the same image that you're not but the Jones' are. So you want something badly that is not ordinary. Hence, I'm "Jonesing"; I want/need something badly out of the ordinary.
Scrubb makes note of my Stew and Thorn Tree posting history: I had no issues with what you said, the problem was that I couldn't figure out what it was (you said).

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:20 am

Wilster wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:40 am
avalon_ wrote:
My understanding is that the term comes from "Keeping up with the Jones'." This thought that you're spending or acting or otherwise doing something that you wouldn't ordinarily do except that you want to be of the same image that you're not but the Jones' are. So you want something badly that is not ordinary. Hence, I'm "Jonesing"; I want/need something badly out of the ordinary.
You made me curious so I looked it up. Not definitive - just from "mental floss" - but:
How Did "Jones" Come to Mean "Craving"?
BY Kara Kovalchik
February 28, 2017

In the early 1960s, a “jones” was a craving—but strictly a craving for heroin. Clever junkies had been using “Mr. Jones” as a code name for the drug since it became popular with Beatniks in the late 1950s. “I’m looking for Mr. Jones” was a subtle way to score when you were new in town and didn’t yet have a regular dealer. The term evolved over the next several years so that eventually when an addict was alternately sweating and shivering while in need of a fix, he or she was described as “jonesing.” In the early 1970s, “jones” had expanded to describe any sort of severe longing or craving, whether for food or a relationship or a shiny new sports car.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

Unwashed_Pom
Stew Ingredient

Post by Unwashed_Pom » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:55 am

Spooky

After all these years I'd assumed Billy Paul was having it away with a neighbour. So he's cleverly alluding to smack?

truenic
Stew Ingredient

Post by truenic » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:32 pm

Do it all the time. Have done before it was trendy, and called something silly.

rezuar
Stew Ingredient

Post by rezuar » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:38 pm

I don’t find Shinrin-yoku completely goofy. It works for many people without them actually knowing they’re ‘bathing’ in the forest.
Keep an open mind but not so open your brain falls out.

Ped_Yai
Stew Ingredient

Post by Ped_Yai » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:41 am

Scrubb wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:20 am
Wilster wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:40 am
avalon_ wrote:
You made me curious so I looked it up. Not definitive - just from "mental floss" - but:
How Did "Jones" Come to Mean "Craving"?
BY Kara Kovalchik
February 28, 2017

In the early 1960s, a “jones” was a craving—but strictly a craving for heroin. Clever junkies had been using “Mr. Jones” as a code name for the drug since it became popular with Beatniks in the late 1950s. “I’m looking for Mr. Jones” was a subtle way to score when you were new in town and didn’t yet have a regular dealer. The term evolved over the next several years so that eventually when an addict was alternately sweating and shivering while in need of a fix, he or she was described as “jonesing.” In the early 1970s, “jones” had expanded to describe any sort of severe longing or craving, whether for food or a relationship or a shiny new sports car.

I knew this from Cheech & Chong's "Basketball Jones" when it came out in 1973.

For some reason the introduction in which the singer (Cheech Marin in falsetto, like a 10 year old boy) says "a jones is when you love something so much that you are like a junkie". Maybe it was just on the album version, which a friend of mine had.

Supposedly when Cheech and Chong were making it a whole bunch of famous musicians were close at hand, and participated, including George Harrison, Billy Preston, Tom Scott and Carly Simon

That's why the mental floss article starts with

"Have you ever had a "Love Jones," or even a "Basketball Jones"?"
No subject on which I am called to speak is ever slighted, and if a moral lesson or a religious precept can be drawn from it, the opportunity is never allowed to pass unheeded. My constant aim is to elevate and instruct humanity.

islandboi
Stew Ingredient

Post by islandboi » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:47 pm

I miss my private times in the hardwood forests of SW Ontario...
"Hello, my name is islandboi and I live on $1800 CAN a month..."