Medical procedure

The Richard Allan Bodine Lounge... have a drink and talk about whatever you'd like

Moderator: Moderator

txgirl
Stew Ingredient

Medical procedure

Post by txgirl » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:30 pm

Touched on this in my other thread but since this question is a bit different thought I’d start another thread.

I want to her procedure done to remove fibroids from my uterus. It’s not a must, but a want, as while heavy bleeding on my period is not a threat to my life, it affects my everyday.

Procedure is supposed to be routine too, but like any surgery there is a chance of complications. A small chance but I still have to consider the following:

I want to turn in my notice a couple of weeks after. What if there are complications? I would have to stay so I can have insurance to take care of myself! I’m not sure what’s worse. Heavy bleeding or being tied here for a while.

Am I being too cautious? Thoughts?

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Re: Medical procedure

Post by DCComic » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:33 pm

Why not delay turning in your notice until you know?
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:42 pm

1. Can you get COBRA (you keep your insurance for up to 18 months but pay both the employee's and employer's share).

2. Obamacare is not dead yet.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:04 pm

"I want to turn in my notice a couple of weeks after. What if there are complications? I would have to stay so I can have insurance to take care of myself!"

What Vinny said--COBRA (the Consolidated Omnibus...Act) entitles you to 18 months of coverage under your employer's plan at their group rates. I think you work for a big employer, so that should be affordable and good.

Boinkity_Boink
Stew Ingredient

Post by Boinkity_Boink » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:18 pm

Plus, your insurance might cover you until the end of the month. You might want to ask your doctor about complications. If there are any, do they tend to come up in the first two weeks? If not when? If complications don't pop up for months afterwards, then you might as well go ahead and quit a couple of week after the operation.

Boinkity_Boink
Stew Ingredient

Post by Boinkity_Boink » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:19 pm

What do you plan on doing for medical insurance after you quit your job? Are you going to go without? Anymore don't we go to jail for that?

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:37 pm

Employer-paid insurance should cover you for the calendar month in which you leave--so leave early in the month.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:40 pm

Just don’t leave. You wouldn’t leave if you thought you might need the salary for a little longer. Wait.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

cuchulainn
Instigator

Post by cuchulainn » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:34 pm

Have the surgery and see how it goes.

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:56 pm

Especially since you weren’t going to hand in your resignation until afterwards anyway. Seems like you are worrying needlessly. Very common procedure and you will almost certainly have no problems.

DianaHaddad
Stew Ingredient

Post by DianaHaddad » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:58 pm

Chip_Oatley wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:37 pm
Employer-paid insurance should cover you for the calendar month in which you leave--so leave early in the month.
I used to think that too, but it's not always the case. I worked for a huge company that ended insurance on your last day, and then COBRA would kick in retroactively, once the COBRA team got around to enrolling you (months later). It was weird.
"Suck it, Trebek."

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:17 am

Remember your share of COBRA is likely to be 3-4x what you pay now.

Most large companies pay 70 or 80% of employees' costs for medical care. COBRA employee costs will be 102% of the employer cost. So if you're paying $100 per month for coverage as an employee, you'll be paying over $500 under COBRA for the same coverage.
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

txgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by txgirl » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:49 pm

Thanks for opinions. I’m chewing on this.

Boinkity_Boink
Stew Ingredient

Post by Boinkity_Boink » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:42 am

Pardon my ignorance, but is fibroid removal a procedure that typically has a lot of complications? And furthermore, do you have reason to think you'll be any different than normal? If the answer is no and no, then I'd just get your ducks lined up to maximize your coverage from your employer.

All that talk about end of month, when does COBRA kick in, how much, etc, can be answered by strolling down to HR>

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:20 am

also price compare cobra against your own personal policy. your own policy in most cases will be cheaper ... for the same exact coverage.