The past is another country

The Richard Allan Bodine Lounge... have a drink and talk about whatever you'd like

Moderator: Moderator

Post Reply
User avatar
Vodd
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 3103
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:39 pm

The past is another country

Post by Vodd » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:59 am

The world cup forum smells of stale B.O. and cheesy wotsits so i'm posting this here.

All the talk of England's first world cup semi final since 1990 made me realise that the gap from now to 1990 is greater than the gap was back in 1990 to 1966. Yet at the time (1990) the world cup win seemed a million years ago. Don't know if it's because I hadnt been born or because it was in b&w. Or has this epiphany come about because I'm old now and time's a bitch?

And Everybody dies.
They tire of quiet, that have known the storm.

User avatar
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 14643
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: The past is another country

Post by Lincoln » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:03 am

Yeah its because you are old and a grumpy bastard...

User avatar
mad hatter
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 22971
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:08 pm

Re: The past is another country

Post by mad hatter » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:07 am

Bitter old cow I thought
Anyone can go by horse or rail, but the absolute best way to travel is by hat.

User avatar
dBrother
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 21351
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:54 am

Re: The past is another country

Post by dBrother » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:31 am

Vodd wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:59 am
The world cup forum smells of stale B.O. and cheesy wotsits so i'm posting this here.

All the talk of England's first world cup semi final since 1990 made me realise that the gap from now to 1990 is greater than the gap was back in 1990 to 1966. Yet at the time (1990) the world cup win seemed a million years ago. Don't know if it's because I hadnt been born or because it was in b&w. Or has this epiphany come about because I'm old now and time's a bitch?

And Everybody dies.
if you think about it the chances are (average stew board demographics being what they are) that you were probably born closer to the great depression years, if not then the roaring 20's, than to now..

when you were young these things were ancient history.

now you are ancient history.

it gets worse, glimpet, leela, and the rest of the boomers were born closer to the victorian era than now, and North american woulda been closer to the civil war..
Last edited by dBrother on Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
.

User avatar
ExPat From Hell
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 4171
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:37 am

Re: The past is another country

Post by ExPat From Hell » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:35 am

Did you guys win in 1990?
Not gay as in happy. Queer as in Fuck You.

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 59571
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: The past is another country

Post by VinnyD » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:52 am

Having been born makes a big difference.

I can't get ny head around the fact that the distance between 1968, i.e. only yesterday, and now is the same as the distance between then and 1918.

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 59571
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: The past is another country

Post by VinnyD » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:57 am

I got an email from my high school a few years ago noting that their hundredth anniversary was coming up. I thought to myself: They celebrated some big anniversary while i was there, didn't they?" And then I remembered it was the fiftieth. Of course, while I was in high school, something that had existed for fifty years had existed essentially forever.

User avatar
Vodd
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 3103
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:39 pm

Re: The past is another country

Post by Vodd » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:59 am

No we didn't win but its the only other time that England 'achieved' in the world cup. I can see why they went on about it somuch in the 80s, now. The gap wasn't as great as it appeared to my teenage self.
They tire of quiet, that have known the storm.

User avatar
DCComic
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 12756
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: The past is another country

Post by DCComic » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:00 am

VinnyD wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:57 am
I got an email from my high school a few years ago noting that their hundredth anniversary was coming up. I thought to myself: They celebrated some big anniversary while i was there, didn't they?" And then I remembered it was the fiftieth. Of course, while I was in high school, something that had existed for fifty years had existed essentially forever.
That’s why we call it tne new world.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

User avatar
andybox
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 26350
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:09 am

Re: The past is another country

Post by andybox » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:15 am

Vodd, it will be what it is...or something like that. Personally I’d love to see England win and will be cheering them on.

User avatar
GLimpet
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 28294
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 8:40 pm

Re: The past is another country

Post by GLimpet » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:02 pm

Image

User avatar
Barbarella
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 11630
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:05 pm

Re: The past is another country

Post by Barbarella » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:07 pm

ABE

User avatar
Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 65674
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Re: The past is another country

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:07 pm

Funk off Gilmpet with that plastic sweaty Jockery

We can always send you back.

I'm already drafting an email to the Home Office

User avatar
Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 65674
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Re: The past is another country

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:22 pm

You know Vodd

We have been enjoying a 25 person stew world cup prediction league, containing 5 women, 3 eunuchs, a couple of poofters, and even some Australians.

In fact, Snowgirl is the current leader.

If you weren't so stuck up...

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 52798
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:02 am

Re: The past is another country

Post by Lost Soul » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:47 pm

ExPat From Hell wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:35 am
Did you guys win in 1990?
The first cut is the deepest.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

User avatar
GLimpet
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 28294
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 8:40 pm

Re: The past is another country

Post by GLimpet » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:55 pm

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:07 pm
Funk off Gilmpet with that plastic sweaty Jockery

We can always send you back.

I'm already drafting an email to the Home Office
I don't understand this xenophobic outburst. I was warned about such ugliness but I didn't believe the hysterical media predictions.

Is it a response to the celebratory photo of the noble and dignified bearing of Gazza in defeat?

But I'll help you with that Home Office email any time you want.

User avatar
Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 65674
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Re: The past is another country

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:56 pm

At least Southgate has said there will be no open top bus celebration through London to celebrate reaching a semi final.

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 59571
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: The past is another country

Post by VinnyD » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:59 pm

DCComic wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:00 am
VinnyD wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:57 am
I got an email from my high school a few years ago noting that their hundredth anniversary was coming up. I thought to myself: They celebrated some big anniversary while i was there, didn't they?" And then I remembered it was the fiftieth. Of course, while I was in high school, something that had existed for fifty years had existed essentially forever.
That’s why we call it tne new world.
You misunderstand me.

User avatar
DCComic
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 12756
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: The past is another country

Post by DCComic » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:02 pm

For a kid to think fifty years is old there can’t be many old things around.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

User avatar
GLimpet
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 28294
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 8:40 pm

Re: The past is another country

Post by GLimpet » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:05 pm

How can you deny people this?

Image

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 59571
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: The past is another country

Post by VinnyD » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:15 pm

DCComic wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:02 pm
For a kid to think fifty years is old there can’t be many old things around.
I think you're wrong.

User avatar
Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 65674
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Re: The past is another country

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:15 pm

GLimpet wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:02 pm
Image
That Terry Butcher was a big bastard. Gazza is 5 ft 10"

And another Hun.

Both are huns!

User avatar
Vodd
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 3103
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:39 pm

Re: The past is another country

Post by Vodd » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:33 pm

To a kid 50 years is pretty ancient. Children struggle with anything that predates them
They tire of quiet, that have known the storm.

User avatar
Vodd
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 3103
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:39 pm

Re: The past is another country

Post by Vodd » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:35 pm

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:22 pm
You know Vodd

We have been enjoying a 25 person stew world cup prediction league, containing 5 women, 3 eunuchs, a couple of poofters, and even some Australians.

In fact, Snowgirl is the current leader.

If you weren't so stuck up...
You know Stephen

This isn't a thread about wanting to participate in the world cup.
They tire of quiet, that have known the storm.

User avatar
Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 65674
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Re: The past is another country

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:37 pm

Good point!

User avatar
DCComic
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 12756
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: The past is another country

Post by DCComic » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:40 pm

Vodd wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:33 pm
To a kid 50 years is pretty ancient. Children struggle with anything that predates them
Depends on how old, but by the time they go to secondary school they’ve got their heads around Dinosaurs, Mamoths, Romans and Roman walls, Normans, 1066, Norman cathedrals and castles...
Not in forensic detail but enough to distinguish prehistoric from the age of man and to know that grandad didn’t wear armour.

Kids aren’t daft.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

User avatar
Vodd
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 3103
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:39 pm

Re: The past is another country

Post by Vodd » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:49 pm

Depends what year of high school. They may know they are different eras but doesn't mean they have a proper understanding of time scales because anything that predates THEM (and like a lot of posters here there is nothing more important to a teenager than themself) is ancient and obsolete.

I was 20 in 1990 and, like I said, 1966 seemed light years ago.
They tire of quiet, that have known the storm.

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 59571
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: The past is another country

Post by VinnyD » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:51 pm

DCC: Yes. Still when I was in high school, 50 years earlier seemed much further back than 50 years ago does now.

Imagine that.

User avatar
Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 65674
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Re: The past is another country

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:52 pm

I was 15 in 1990 doing work experience at a Solicitors.

After the two weeks they made me write an apology for my behaviour.

User avatar
DCComic
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 12756
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: The past is another country

Post by DCComic » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:53 pm

Yes Vinny. But you wrote ‘essentially forever’.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

User avatar
Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 65674
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Re: The past is another country

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:54 pm

I told my mentor his Jaguar stunk of fish.

User avatar
Barbarella
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 11630
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:05 pm

Re: The past is another country

Post by Barbarella » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:06 pm

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:56 pm
At least Southgate has said there will be no open top bus celebration through London to celebrate reaching a semi final.
I mean.......I want to support youse but you've revived that fucking god-AWFUL song I aint even mentioning cos its doing my absolute nut in. That song was a joke the first time it came out since yis won sweet f.a. so not getting why its being used again? Dont yis believe in jinxing yourselves?

Since, if you win I'll hear it even more, I simply cannot wish your team well.

sozfootballs.

User avatar
Barbarella
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 11630
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:05 pm

Re: The past is another country

Post by Barbarella » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:09 pm

https://www.joe.ie/sport/watch-england- ... ome-632567

^^^That has somewhat mollified us.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post Reply