Aquarium Keepers of Stew

The Richard Allan Bodine Lounge... have a drink and talk about whatever you'd like

Moderator: Moderator

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Aquarium Keepers of Stew

Post by EMG » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:13 pm

Anyone else have one? My bowl with a single betta fish has gotten a serious upgrade, compliments of the GF. Have added 3 kinds of tetras, a filter, light, and transferred my automatic feeder.

I'm thinking I should get some sort of filter feeder to keep the sand clean.

Anyone else have fish?

guruwil
vegemite flavored maple syrup

Re: Aquarium Keepers of Stew

Post by guruwil » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:27 pm

Nooice.

Have had lots of fish over the years, although none very technically complicated. Clean tank regularly, dont overfeed, aerator is important. That’s all I got. They stink the whole house our when they die in a warm climate when you do away for a few days.
An it harm none, do what ye will

We are all Atheists about most gods, some of us just go one god further.
judik wrote:Guruwil was right!!!
jono_in_adelaide wrote:I think Guru is right on this one
“shunter” wrote: I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Guru is bang on the money here.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:29 pm

They are a lot of work.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:35 pm

All of the new fish so far have had to be compatible with the betta, who will kill certain kinds of fish. They get along with tetras. And bottom feeders, apparently.

I was told the aerator is not that important, but the filter is. So I got a good filter.

The feeder I can program to feed 1-6 times per day, on 30 day schedules, so it works when I travel.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:39 pm

We had a bottom feeder which lasted for about 15 years.

Did nothing but hide, suck, and eat shit.

Can I suggest you name yours: Stewie*

*No. That wasn't 'Stevie', Mope.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:51 pm

I'm open to names. I've only named the betta so far.

I had a bottom feeder as well back when I was a teenager. Lived around 6 years with me. Then I left home, not sure what happened after that.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:57 pm

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:We had a bottom feeder which lasted for about 15 years.

Did nothing but hide, suck, and eat shit.

Can I suggest you name yours: Stewie*

*No. That wasn't 'Stevie', Mope.
or call the bottom feeder moe ...
Anyone can go by horse or rail, but the absolute best way to travel is by hat.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:44 am

My fish all died. I'm gone too much.

The algae eater lived the longest, FWIW. Tough to kill, those are, but I managed.

I kill cacti too.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Unwashed_Pom
Stew Ingredient

Post by Unwashed_Pom » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:48 am

Mmmmmmm....stir fried guppies.

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:26 am

EMG wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:51 pm
I'm open to names. I've only named the betta so far.
I always go with Lola, but it would have to be an exceptionally colorful and independent fish.

My last (and only) betta was called Elizabeth, named after a friend.
Things fall apart, it's scientific.

Boinkity_Boink
Stew Ingredient

Post by Boinkity_Boink » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:21 pm

I think the key to keeping aquariums is frequent water changes. For 15 years of keeping aquariums, my fish would be fine for 9 months or so, then they'd start to die off one by one until I was down to just a few. Then a couple of years ago the local fishkeeper told me "20% water change, every week". I'd been letting it slide to once every two or three weeks or so. So I do a 33%+ change every week. That was two years ago and I've hardly lost a fish since then. So do lots of water changes. You've got a siphon and a big 5 gallon Home Depot bucket, right? Make sure you siphon the poop off the bottom.

You could add some live plants if you want. They really liven things up. Get ones that don't need much light, since it looks like you don't have a bad ass light on that thing. Feeding them live food is fun too. I don't know if you can get them there, but live brine shrimp, black worms, etc are really good for fish and it's fun to watch them eat it.

That tank is pretty small by my reckoning. What are the dimensions? I'm guessing it's a 10 gallon tank. Bigger tanks are funner (more fish) and not necessarily more work. More buckets of water each week, but that's about it.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:23 pm

Yes, frequent water changes. Hence the hard work. Catching the fish, taking out all the little stones.

I witnessed my mother bringing a fish back to life by giving it mouth to mouth.

I called her Trout Lips.

Boinkity_Boink
Stew Ingredient

Post by Boinkity_Boink » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:24 pm

>All of the new fish so far have had to be compatible with the betta, who will kill certain kinds of fish. They get along with tetras. And bottom feeders, apparently.
I've had pretty good luck with betas in community tanks. They'll get slow fish with big fins (e.g. guppies), but I've had them with angelfish and everyone was a happy camper. The tank was heavily planted though, so everyone had a lot to do. I did put a beta in my daughter's guppy tank. It had about 10 baby guppies. He polished them off within hours. Two hours of tears, a beta relocation, and two months later we were back to normal on that one.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:26 pm

That's good to know, Boink. I didn't think they'd need water changes that frequently. I don't have a siphon but I guess I'll need to get one eventually.

I think it's just a 5 gallon tank. It's 14" across but I didn't measure the other way. I can probably only add another 2 or 3 fish max.

I do have one live plant in there, the one you see in the back. I'm going to wait a bit before adding anything else as the GF apparently has plans to replace everything in there now with a Spongebob theme.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:27 pm

Also good to know about the compatible fish. I won't be getting any guppies. I would like at least one more species of swimmer fish though, so maybe I'll look for some angels, then a tank cleaner and be done.

Boinkity_Boink
Stew Ingredient

Post by Boinkity_Boink » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:27 pm

>Yes, frequent water changes. Hence the hard work. Catching the fish, taking out all the little stones.
That is the single biggest task. But I've never taken out the stones. Just get a siphon and swirl it around the top. It can be a pain if the stones get caught in the siphon. But if you get a big enough one, diameter-wise, that won't be an issue. Did you just buy that sand yesterday? It's the cleanest sand I've ever seen. Before two long you'll have a brown layer of substrate in there, but I don't think that's a bad thing. It's all part of the balance of the tank.

jessica_fletcher
Stew Ingredient

Post by jessica_fletcher » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:30 pm

I think you need a nice big plant so the little fishes can hide and play amongst it.
VinnyD wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:13 pm
Oops.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:33 pm

Boinkity_Boink wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:27 pm
Did you just buy that sand yesterday? It's the cleanest sand I've ever seen. Before two long you'll have a brown layer of substrate in there, but I don't think that's a bad thing. It's all part of the balance of the tank.
This is about 1 week after putting the sand in. I've had tanks before though, I know it won't be that shiny forever.

jessica_fletcher wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:30 pm
I think you need a nice big plant so the little fishes can hide and play amongst it.
The one live plant in there is growing pretty quickly. Not sure how big it will get. Might go get some new ones after the GF changes the theme.

Live aquarium plants are kind of stupid expensive though. I paid $7US for that one.

Boinkity_Boink
Stew Ingredient

Post by Boinkity_Boink » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:34 pm

>I think it's just a 5 gallon tank. It's 14" across but I didn't measure the other way. I can probably only add another 2 or 3 fish max.
A cubic foot is about 8 gallons. The rule of thumb is 1 inch of fish per gallon of water. If you start scratching your head and cogitating over this rule, you'll soon realize that a two inch fish could arguably put as much of a bio-load on a tank as 8 one inch fish (if number of cells of fish is proportional to the cube of the length).

But never mind. Put as many fish in there as you want, though IMHO if they are the same species they'll do better. The reason I have two children and not one is because I liked having two fish of the same type more than twice as much as just one fish. It's fun to watch them school, and that's what you get when you have 5-6 or more of one type. Tetras are good that way.

I've always followed the philosophy, "buy 'em cheap and don't weep". That is, don't buy the expensive fish that are going to kill your budget. They tend to be harder to keep anyways. Then if one dies, it doesn't need to ruin your day.

rezuar
Stew Ingredient

Post by rezuar » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:38 pm

EMG wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:13 pm
Anyone else have one? My bowl with a single betta fish has gotten a serious upgrade, compliments of the GF. Have added 3 kinds of tetras, a filter, light, and transferred my automatic feeder.

I'm thinking I should get some sort of filter feeder to keep the sand clean.

Anyone else have fish?

Rhe tetras will be all dead by Sunday. Sorry.
Betas like being an only fish.
Keep an open mind but not so open your brain falls out.

Boinkity_Boink
Stew Ingredient

Post by Boinkity_Boink » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:39 pm

>Live aquarium plants are kind of stupid expensive though. I paid $7US for that one.
Seven bucks is kind of expensive, at least in your parts. I've had good luck with hornwort (top pic) and ancharis (bottom). Both of them grow fast under low light conditions. Both of them are common in ponds in the continental US, though I've always bought mine. Anymore I smuggle aquarium plants into this country from the US.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:40 pm

Yeah, Boink, I read that tetras should be bought in schools of 6 or more, so I went and bought 8 tetras, but only 4 of them are the same kind, the other 4 are two different kinds, and I didn't realize they'd pretty much only school with identical tetras. Little racist fuckers.

I'd like probably a pair of one other kind of fish, then done.

rezuar wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:38 pm
Rhe tetras will be all dead by Sunday. Sorry.
Betas like being an only fish.
It's already been over a week! They're all one big happy family. The betta is too slow to kill the tetras. He took a few nips at them when I first put them in, but lost interest after about a day.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:41 pm

Thanks for the plant tips, Boink. I'm planning to go look at fish again this weekend, and possibly more plants.

I live in the upscale fancy pants part of town, and the pet shop is upscale and fancy pants as well. I could probably go to one of the big pet places in the slummier area and find much better deals.

rezuar
Stew Ingredient

Post by rezuar » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:42 pm

Your beta must have been genetically modified, then.
They are vicious warriors in my experience.
Keep an open mind but not so open your brain falls out.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:44 pm

If I throw in a worm or something, the betta will Destroy it. He's like a little shark.

But Tetras are far too fast. There are whole websites about what kind of fish can go in tanks with bettas. Tetras are the most common.

Boinkity_Boink
Stew Ingredient

Post by Boinkity_Boink » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:45 pm

I've mixed betas and tetras and it's worked out. It's only in the first few minutes that the tetras are in there with the beta that there is danger. The newbies are confused and don't realize there's a badass beta in the area. But it helps to feed the beta before letting the tetras out of the bag, or you could even remove the beta for a couple of hours.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:49 pm

I put the tetras in the tank inside of the bag, and let them sit there for about an hour. The betta was circling the bag like a shark. But when I released them they steered clear.

One of the tetras is a bit of an asshole and chases the others around endlessly, he seems more of a concern than the betta.

Boinkity_Boink
Stew Ingredient

Post by Boinkity_Boink » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:00 pm

>One of the tetras is a bit of an asshole and chases the others around endlessly, he seems more of a concern than the betta.
Bully fish are a PITA. I had a gourami like that. I put her in a jar away from everyone else for a couple weeks. When she came back she was humble pie. But I've got an angelfish like that now. I tried that same trick, but every time I put him back, he becomes an asshole again. You could try bringing him back to the store and exchanging him. Though that's a bother. You could try my isolation trick. Or you could feed him to the crows.

Paddox1
Stew Ingredient

Post by Paddox1 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:47 pm

Is the betta the blue one?

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:49 pm

Yes.

desertstorm
Stew Ingredient

Post by desertstorm » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:04 pm

I had an aquarium as a kid, frequent mass extinction and a lot of tears due to unexpected power outages. Had a 400 litre one when I was in my 20s, frequent overseas trips meant massive growth of algen and oxygen plants due to it being in the sun. I tried to make it a natural balance of fishes and plants but gave up after 5 years.

One thing about change of water that is probably common knowledge, wait until it is the same room temperature, and if there is chlorine in water like in HK, leaves it overnight to let it evaporates (was told as a child, not sure it's scientific).

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:04 pm

Mmm, gourami.

Ledbetter
Stew Ingredient

Post by Ledbetter » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:26 pm

I had a few aquariums. Phil & Ethel ( Oscars ) grew to be quite large fishies, big enough to knock open the aluminum lid in the middle of the night and flip around on the floor.
As above, you need something for them to hide behind. I had a rotary phone in the tank for a while.