Hello my friends!

The Richard Allan Bodine Lounge... have a drink and talk about whatever you'd like

Moderator: Moderator

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Hello my friends!

Post by ManchVegas » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:04 pm

So, long time no talk! It was nothing personal. I was working 2 jobs 7 days a week and running my Bed and breakfast. I left the lab job and took a higher paying job in an automotive lighting plant. It was grueling work but I didn't care. A little hard work never hurt anyone right? I fit right in with the thick as planks, bonehead guys I had to work with. The money was great. If you worked Saturday it was time and a half and Sunday was double time.

So, everything is going along great until Memorial day weekend. I develop muscle pains and start to limp. I fall behind on my quota and there are score boards all over the plant telling everyone how their department is doing. My fellow coworkers, some of the nicest guys I've ever met, start covering for me but they can only do so much. On my way back home on a Friday I get an email that states: We regret to inform that your contract has been terminated. Do not report to your next shift. Your badge has been decactived. Any attempt to enter the premises will result in forced removal by security personnel. Thank you and have a nice day.

So, I've been out of work for over a month now. I'm selling the house because I need money to find out what's wrong with me. I've had 6 lab tests done and been on 2 visits to the doctor but they're not sure what's wrong. Even with insurance I can't afford to seek further medical treatment.

So, LOL. Anyone want to buy a house with full income potential to pay all expenses?
Ritalin Brightens Your Day!

desertstorm
Stew Ingredient

Re: Hello my friends!

Post by desertstorm » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:13 pm

That is really shitty MV, I don't know enough about the US healthcare system and have no advice on insurance, financial and medical front. Sorry for being so useless here.

Do you have ideas what the next step will be to find out the cause of your health problem?

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:20 pm

Hi Manch!

Hope your frickin leg feels better soon!

Cyllarus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Cyllarus » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:23 pm

Jayzus. Sorry to read about your troubles.

Do you think health issues associated with job in auto lighting plant? Did you have disability benefits in job at the plant or a personal policy that you can use? Can you sue for wrongful termination?

bundes
Stew Ingredient

Post by bundes » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:25 pm

Hi

I hope they figure out what's wrong soon.

Like Cyllarus, I was going to ask if it was a work place injury?

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:28 pm

Thanks you guys. My next step is to figure out money. I am eligible for disablilty benefits. I'm over 50 and have paid into the system since 19 fucking 79! Lol. First job as a dishwasher paid $2.90 an hour. The problem is that it takes a good year to receieve your first check.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:35 pm

Sorry to hear it, MV. Seems a shame that you are selling the house if the Airbnb income has covered your expenses (?). You have to live somewhere.

Did you ask why your contract was being terminated? Have you applied for unemployment benefits?

dragon
Stew Ingredient

Post by dragon » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:36 pm

yikes but that sucks. i wish i had some advice. all i've got is that medical care is cheap here in mexico. suerte...
She is a great-kneed person.

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:39 pm

I meant to mention. Anyone wanting free accommodation in New Hampshire in exchange for light housekeeping please message me!

Thanks Chip. My contract was terminated because I couldn't perform the required tasks and yes I'm applying for unemployment. I can't do much of anything but stuff envelopes but still it's something!

Thanks Dragon!

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:43 pm

But you could not perform them due to sudden onset of physically disabling symptoms, correct? I hope you have documented everything. Contractor or not, they have to have Workers' Compensation. Might be hard to prove it was due to the work environment or duties, but you need to start the process of filing a claim ASAP.

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:47 pm

Thanks Chip. Someone else told me the same thing. I need to put that on my list. I'm not really sure if it was work related but that doesn't seem to matter.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:28 pm

My understanding is that almost evryine gets turned down when they first apply for disability but that a surprisingly large number of appeals succeed. So don't give up if you are turned down. Same iwth workmen's comp, I think.

Good luck, manch.

jessica_fletcher
Stew Ingredient

Post by jessica_fletcher » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:40 pm

Oh Manch, what a pickle you’re in.

Some great advice here already, hope your luck turns soon xxx
VinnyD wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:13 pm
Oops.

txgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by txgirl » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:43 pm

I’m sorry to hear MV. Sounds like a rough time.

ExPat From Hell
Stew Ingredient

Post by ExPat From Hell » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:57 pm

Manch darling, thank you so much for checking in with us. I do wish that your circumstances were better, but chin up.

Is a reverse mortgage an option in your state or the US? I would hate to see you have to move.

And I sincerely hope that you find out what ails you. Take care!
Not gay as in happy. Queer as in Fuck You.

Barbarella
Stew Ingredient

Post by Barbarella » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:02 pm

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. Sorry X

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:05 pm

sounds like terrible workplace conditions when they can ho do that to you, horriblle.

go get workers comp if at all possible.

but I guess thats the uberization of the workplace for you.

hope things start turning out better.

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:08 pm

There must be some laws , even in such a shithole!
Sick/disability employment laws.
Manch contact an employment/human rights lawyer.
If you could not perform due to injury, they can not just fire you.
I smell money from a lawsuit. Go for it.
You only get one turn on this merry-go-round of life. Chase your happiness. -Nines

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:45 pm

Thanks again everyone! You give me hope! I'm having a hard time coming to grips with this. I pulled myself up by my boot straps from a very bad place last year and I don't understand why my reward is pain and suffering. That's not how it's supposed to work. It's like my value system had been turned upside down. God helps those who help themselves? A little hard work never hurt anyone? Really!

desertstorm
Stew Ingredient

Post by desertstorm » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:56 pm

Unfortunately shit happens, and sorry it happens to you, of course it's normal to feel frustrated and down, but try not to talk yourself 'too down', talk about it with friends and families if you can, you may pick up some tips, such as how to make a financial overview for the coming period and such, and you may feel better afterwards.

Or else come here and let us entertain you, not that I can entertain anyone if my life depends on it. Although I can try if it is your life instead of mine.

DianaHaddad
Stew Ingredient

Post by DianaHaddad » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:27 pm

So, so sorry to hear all of this, Manch. I definitely think you need some legal advice. My understanding is that many lawyers will give you a free consultation to discuss whether you have a case or not.

Regarding your health, there is such a thing as a free or sliding-scale clinic. I wouldn't be surprised if you had access to something in NH (that takes your insurance as-is without your copay) or at least something through Mass General.

Also, my understanding is that any illness or accident that happens anywhere between your front door in the morning and your front door in the evening is a workman's comp case.

Please keep us posted.
"Suck it, Trebek."

DianaHaddad
Stew Ingredient

Post by DianaHaddad » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:28 pm

Hey, have you been tested for Lyme Disease?
"Suck it, Trebek."

cowtown
Stew Ingredient

Post by cowtown » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:33 pm

sorry about the rough patch, hope things turn around for you and work out to your pleasing
Jim-2012 wrote:I *heart* Hitler

OnTheBall
Stew Ingredient

Post by OnTheBall » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:40 pm

Sorry to hear that, MV.

Do you have equity in your property? If you have, you may be able to draw on it to pay for medical bills, rather than selling your house.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:01 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:28 pm
My understanding is that almost evryine gets turned down when they first apply for disability but that a surprisingly large number of appeals succeed. So don't give up if you are turned down. Same iwth workmen's comp, I think.

Good luck, manch.
My understanding too. SSDI is a niche practice for lawyers. Disability lawyers take cases on contingency - they only get paid if you do.

Hi Manch. You might know me under a different name. I'm Lorne Greene.
I am Stalking you.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:29 pm

And I'm Dan Blocker.*

Wishing you all the best Manch. You will survive.

Over 50!
How did that happen?

*guest starring as Frickin Nerb!

brodie_bruce
Stew Ingredient

Post by brodie_bruce » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:43 pm

Hey Manch, nice to see you around........sorry to hear about the health and work stuff. Hopefully it all turns out ok soon.
He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.

Usher73
Stew Ingredient

Post by Usher73 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:13 pm

I'm very sad and sorry to hear this Manch.
ManchVegas wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:04 pm
I left the lab job and took a higher paying job in an automotive lighting plant. It was grueling work but I didn't care. A little hard work never hurt anyone right?
Maybe it did. How long since you did grueling work before this? Are you feeling any better, physically, since they fired you?

They didn't have the guts to fire you face to face, and their email shows what crappy people they are.

Can you get another job back at the lab? Would you want to?

I'd really hate to see you have to sell your house. It's a perfect BnB arrangement in a beautiful setting and a great location.

How long can you hold out before selling? Is the BnB booked up? Can you raise your rates?

For any stewbies contemplating a trip to the northeast US, and I know there's at least one, I highly recommend the ManchV BnB. It's quiet, private, secluded, but close to all the New England states, with an excellent host.

Thanks again Manch, for letting me stay there last year. Thanks for your kind hospitality and the generosity of your time showing me around Manchester and the trip to the coast for lobster.

I everthing works out for you, and you get well.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:30 pm

Usher, txgirl has stayed there before. I think she is looking for new places.

avalon_
Stew Ingredient

Post by avalon_ » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:53 pm

Oh this sucks, Manch! I'm so sorry. I hope everything works out for you.

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:13 am

Thanks everyone for being so supportive. Yes, one of the tests was for lyme disease and I don't have it. Out of the 6 tests I only failed one. The creatine kinase isoenzyme panel. That shows that I've got muscle injury.

A quick background on my job at the plant: I was a "Lamper" I sat at the end of a production line and sorted headlight lamps according to quality. Best quality were exported, second quality were for domestic US market and third quality were OEM aftermarket. Once the sorting process was completed I would mark the export lamps as "Finished, ready for aging." and take them to the aging racks. They where massive racks with mock ups of head lights and you removed the aged lamps and replaced them with the unaged lamps. You had to work quickly. You would removed the aged lamps 3 in each hand and and replace with unaged lamps. It was an up and down motion all day long but I really didn't think much of it. In my mind it's called "work".

So, in my bonehead mind I don't think they where asking me to do anything horrific. The working conditions were not great. The facility was the size of a football stadium and ran hundreds of different product lines at the same time. The machinery was so old and crappy that each machine would break down frequently and let out awful warning sounds all day long. My line sounded like a car alarm going off and it would go on until a mechanic fixed the problem. Each line had it's own different sound so it was like a mad house all day long.

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:23 am

Usher. It had been a good year since I worked as a shipper. That was my last grueling job.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:08 am

Glad to see you here, Manch, but very sorry to hear of your woes.
I really hope something can be done without you having to sell up. That seems so wrong. I hope someone can help you through the legal stuff, and that you stay to recover soon.
Pass the wine...

FUUZ
Stew Ingredient

Post by FUUZ » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:12 am

glad to see you back!
As I wander and chunder, I ponder and wonder.
I'm Slumming in Bedlam. Amuse me.

WhosieWho
Stew Ingredient

Don't drink )

Post by WhosieWho » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:33 am

How's your sobriety thru all this? Did the drinks management program work well? We've heard of at least two people dying of alcoholism (liver failure, etc.) "on the Sinclair Method" since last you checked in.

Sorry about your health probs man - don't drink.
"This entire paragraph is just repeating Fake News. There was NO blood, NO semen and there was NO Satanism. Delete." -- The Editor

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:43 am

Thanks you guys. I'm doing OK on the drinking front. I've known many people over the years that have died of liver failure regardless of treatment method.

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:43 am

ManchVegas wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:04 pm
I develop muscle pains and start to limp.
did you go limp? :o :o :lol: :lol:

DAHHHHHLING!! how the fuck are ya? so sorry to hear about your little stroke of not-so-good luck. but think of it this way ... it'll make you a stronger and better man. or fag. or whatever :lol:

and here you are... now i can only imagine where your thumb has been...

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:55 am

HA! I remember that weekend. I just had some tenders for lunch today. I can't prep my own food so I called meals on wheels. I don't qualify because I'm not house bound. Fair enough I guess. They really should be focusing on the most needy.

WhosieWho
Stew Ingredient

Get Well Soon!

Post by WhosieWho » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:05 am

ManchVegas wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:43 am
I'm doing OK on the drinking front. I've known many people over the years that have died of liver failure regardless of treatment method.
That sounds pretty depressing and morbidly fatalistic.

Really? Many? We've never known any AA (practicing abstinence) who died of liver failure. (Of old age? YES!)

Last you told us, The Sinclair Method was a Cure: One Pill was a silver bullet, or at least w/ a success rate of 78%. "Pharmacological instinction" (jejeje) and all that. You were not in the 78%?

Is Claudia Christian promoting Herbalife now, or what? She was emailing you regularly, last you said.
ManchVegas wrote:Hi Avalon. Yes, I've had a measure of success. 6 months ago I was on my sofa passed out, couldn't hold down a job, rushed to the hospital for a detox. Enter TSM. ... The success rate is 78%. ... You continue to do this and over time pharmacological extinction occurs. I'm on month 5 and my drinking is cut in half. I have a job and I can function.
What have you tried instead? Let's hear what works!
"This entire paragraph is just repeating Fake News. There was NO blood, NO semen and there was NO Satanism. Delete." -- The Editor

DaBaba
Stew Ingredient

Post by DaBaba » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:13 am

Hey Manch! Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Check with a disability attorney. Maybe one will be able to help.

Don't sell the house unless you have absolutely no choice. You have to live somewhere. If BnB doesn't cover your nut get housemates, it sucks, but better than the alternative.

Good luck bro.
我爱,所以我挨。
Inside Every Liberal is a Totalitarian Screaming to Get Out

avalon_
Stew Ingredient

Post by avalon_ » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:17 am

Could you live in the air bnb unit and rent out the house to a permanent renter?

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:26 am

just think of the good times, my dear. like this fab weekend...

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:30 am

KC lights used to be made in Williams, AZ of all places. But I guess it was too small because the owner moved it to Flagstaff.

Anyway, the Avalon solution looks like the best option, unless NH law allows you your domicile even after bankruptcy. Check.

Good luck, and thanks for the update.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:33 am

Thanks you guys. I really don't want to sell the house but in reality it's the responsible thing to do. I just don't have the money to cover a major repair. My neighbor suggested that I let his daugher rent with the option to buy but if the well pump goes or the septic needs replacing I couldn't cover that.

The bottom line is that I'm tired of "Faking Normal". It's a real problem in this country and I imagine other countries it's even worse. It's when you let yourself get to the point where you can't cover a $500.00 emergency. You don't own a house at that level and what's scary is that's 50% of Americans. No one will admit to it of course because we're all faking normal.

There's something to be said for living within your means. It brings a sense of calm and allows you to engage in life. I don't need a house on 3 acres of land. A better option is for me to sell it and move in to my sisters McMansion in Florida and pay them so they can continue to fake it for a few more years. The house is massive. I'd have my own wing FFS!

DianaHaddad
Stew Ingredient

Post by DianaHaddad » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:37 am

Manch, fyi it's very hard to get disability in FL. I had friends who had to leave there to come to NJ to get disability, and even that took a long time. Years.
"Suck it, Trebek."

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:41 am

Thanks Diana. I've read up on it and it becomes much easier when you're over 50. It's still a long process and thanks for the heads up on FL. If need be I will stay in NH until the claim is approved.

I really appreciate the advice everyone is giving me. Please don't stop! Just throw it out there. I promise when I'm in a better place I'll do the same for you!

DianaHaddad
Stew Ingredient

Post by DianaHaddad » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:46 am

They were over 50, just fyi.

Good luck! I hope it doesn't come to needing disability. Hopefully a doctor will figure it all out asap and a lawyer can help with your job. You shouldn't be fired if a condition is keeping you from working.
"Suck it, Trebek."

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:59 am

Thanks Diana! I really hope I make a miraculous recovery. I truly enjoyed my jobs. I have total empathy for people on benefits. The old me was like "They just don't want to work!" the new me realizes that no one wants to take that step and go from able bodied to disabled. I would take my old life back in a heartbeat. That's a big part of the problem. You don't want to admit that you may be disabled. So you give it a week. 2 weeks..........3 weeks and it' like "Good God I'm not getting better." Of course no one really believes you. I can't blame them I was always sceptical myself.

Yes, you're right. They should have put me on light duty work. It can't hurt to google an attorney.

ExPat From Hell
Stew Ingredient

Post by ExPat From Hell » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:10 am

Can we summarize options:

1. Reverse mortgage.
2. Medical bankruptcy
3. Let the house and you live in bnb part.
4. Sell the house and you rent the bnb part.
5. Sell the house move to fucking Florida hope for the best down there.

What else is on your list of options, Manch?

It sounds like you are more than "limping" when you say you can not prep your own meals. What do yo think it is?
Not gay as in happy. Queer as in Fuck You.

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:27 am

Yeah. I've got something major going on health wise. It's skeletal. I'm not in agony but when I get up I have major discomfort and If I do one errand, like go to the bank for example or have a hair cut I need a nap. That's not like me.

I've got about a 100K equity in the house but I don't think they do reverse mortgages at my age. I'll have to check. The other problem is that who's going to do the upkeep and maintainance on the house? I'm having a hard time just honoring the reservations I've got in the system. I will honor them because they were made in good faith but it takes me an hour to make the bed. I really enjoy my B&B. It's great income and I love meeting people from all over the world. I had no idea it would be so successful. My guests really like me too. They think I'm a hoot but I just don't have the energy to continue. I'm also in a remote area with no family support. I have to drive myself to all of my own Doctors appointments and labs and I just feel so depleted.