Windows Logon Screen

The Richard Allan Bodine Lounge... have a drink and talk about whatever you'd like

Moderator: Moderator

desertstorm
Stew Ingredient

Windows Logon Screen

Post by desertstorm » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:36 am

I like how Windows changing the logon screen every few days to another photograph with nice scenery. Okay some of them are pretty IKEA wall poster kind of photos but they still give me some joy every time I start up my PC or laptop on.

I wonder if all Windows 10 users get the same screen and same new one every few days.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Re: Windows Logon Screen

Post by GLimpet » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:44 am

I've got the double-screen ones on my desktop - nice photos but they just rotate the same ones. We hd a thread about this before and I posted some shots.

The laptop ones I get are probably what you see - yeah, pretty good.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:47 am

desertstorm
Stew Ingredient

Post by desertstorm » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:49 am

Oh that is a different one than mine. I have never seen yours.

My laptop always has a different one than my PC, and they have yet to overlap the same photos.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:52 am

I think the "like what you see?" link takes you to info about the place and maybe the photographer.

All financed as if they are ads for tourist authorities or the photographer's work? Mebbes aye or mebbes no.

desertstorm
Stew Ingredient

Post by desertstorm » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:56 am

GLimpet wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:52 am
I think the "like what you see?" link takes you to info about the place and maybe the photographer.
Yeah, I check out the information most of the time.

desertstorm
Stew Ingredient

Post by desertstorm » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:14 am

LonelyTeaPot
Stew Ingredient

Post by LonelyTeaPot » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:43 am

^Ah, that's beautiful. I know that place.

desertstorm
Stew Ingredient

Post by desertstorm » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:12 am

I have only spent time there in the winter, and yes it is stunning.

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:31 pm

I chose to use for my logon screen a photo of a place that figured in my family history. The first image below is a cropped version of a photo on a Wiki page about Pochaev, a monastery and pilgrimage site in Ukraine that was once part of the Russian Empire. When my maternal grandmother traveled there with several companions in 1913, they chose the place because of its proximity to the Austrian border. They crossed at night through some fields, so Pochaev was the last my grandmother saw of her native country.

My desktop also has a photo that has some meaning to me. It shows a village in the south of Poland that was part of Austria from the time of the Third Partition until the end of World War II. Both of my paternal grandparents were born there, although they actually met for the first time in the United States.

I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

desertstorm
Stew Ingredient

Post by desertstorm » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:07 am

Great pics NA with a bit of family history. So you have both Polish and Russian heritage, are you the poster who speaks Russia or am I confusing you with someone else?

I had some work trips to Ukraine x years ago but never visited Pochaev, in fact I don't think I have heard of it before. Southern Poland is quite pretty in places. Have you visited these places yourself?

desertstorm
Stew Ingredient

Post by desertstorm » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:11 am

This is the new one today, I found the image on internet though.

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:19 pm

desertstorm wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:07 am
Great pics NA with a bit of family history. So you have both Polish and Russian heritage, are you the poster who speaks Russia or am I confusing you with someone else? I had some work trips to Ukraine x years ago but never visited Pochaev, in fact I don't think I have heard of it before. Southern Poland is quite pretty in places. Have you visited these places yourself?
No, I've never been to Eastern Europe, and to say that I speak Russian would be an exaggeration. You have to be able to think in a language in order to be fluent, and I lost that ability since leaving school. Regardless, I can still read aloud anything written in Russian, because with few exceptions letters have only one sound; the main problem is knowing where to put the stress. Our first-year classes included sections from Lermontov's "A Hero of Our Time" that had been published in a special edition with stresses marked by our professor.

About Pochaev: I think the monastery was among the most important pilgrimage sites in Russia. The remains of Venerable Job are preserved there in a glass-topped silver coffin. There are probably 100 or more YouTube videos about Pochaev, but I failed to find just now a short and comprehensive one I'd seen before that shows the annual service during which that coffin is displayed in one of the churches, then taken in procession outside the monastery walls.

About my paternal grandparents' birthplace: That bucolic-looking village is relatively near Zakopane, a popular ski center in southern Poland, but even nearer is the town of Oświęcim, the site of the concentrarion camp known to us as Auschwitz.
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:02 pm

This is one of the ones on rotation with me..

Looks very science fictiony, hard to believe it was just a patch of desert in 1990

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:39 pm

dBrother wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:02 pm
This is one of the ones on rotation with me..
Looks very science fictiony, hard to believe it was just a patch of desert in 1990
It definitely looks "science fictiony," or a 1920s or 1930s idea of what cities of the future might look like.

What is it, and where is it?

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:50 pm

Dubai.
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:08 pm

i like the changing Google Chromecast scenes when i use my TV. not all landscapes -- sometimes obscure paintings and such. but many odd landscapes
"Iranians apparently disagree with korgy"

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:15 am

yes Dubai, the Burj Khalifa gives it away..

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:48 am

Yes, I enjoy them too. It's weird, though - sometimes they change every day, and then sometimes I get one that stays for a few days. Doesn't seem to be related to how often I open my laptop up during the day, either.

Sometimes the "do you like what you see?" thingie only tells you the name of the photographer. That's been the case on a few mountain pictures when I was specifically wondering what country they were in, which is annoying.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot