Places worth visiting east coast US

The Richard Allan Bodine Lounge... have a drink and talk about whatever you'd like

Moderator: Moderator

txgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by txgirl » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:13 am

Summer is here and I have finally come out from hibernation. Lots of places to see in little time. Help me decide.

Delaware? I want to check it off my list, but is it even worth it?

I may have to decide between Long Island (all the way to the end) or Cape May (and whatever else is along the NJ coast).

Baltimore?

Thoughts welcome.

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Re: Places worth visiting east coast US

Post by Annotated » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:23 am

If you're going to go as far as Baltimore, might as well go to DC if you like museums, history, and that sort of thing.
Stay Woke

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:30 am

Wouldn't even suggest Martha's Vineyard and surrounds during the summer. Did spend much of a late fall and early winter on Chappaquiddick in '86/'87...long story.
Scrubb makes note of my Stew and Thorn Tree posting history: I had no issues with what you said, the problem was that I couldn't figure out what it was (you said).

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:47 am

txgirl wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:13 am
Summer is here and I have finally come out from hibernation. Lots of places to see in little time. Help me decide.

Delaware? I want to check it off my list, but is it even worth it?

I may have to decide between Long Island (all the way to the end) or Cape May (and whatever else is along the NJ coast).

Baltimore?

Thoughts welcome.
Depends on a lot of factors, mostly financial. Along the whole stretch of coastline, prices for accommodation are very, very high until after Labor Day, when they're just very high.

shilgia
Stew Ingredient

Post by shilgia » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:18 am

Cape May is very nice, but probably a madhouse this time of year. Long Island you could conceivably do in a day trip (or stay somewhere farther from the coast if accommodation becomes tricky/expensive). That said, a day trip like that would be better started in NYC rather than an hour into NJ. (So let me know if you want to do that particular trip in the early fall; if you want we could do this together starting from my place.)

Delaware - nah.

Have you explored Pennsylvania?

shilgia
Stew Ingredient

Post by shilgia » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:19 am

Oh and Baltimore gets a thumbs up, as does DC, of course, as Anno says.

fishface
Stew Ingredient

Post by fishface » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:42 am

Please go to the giant toilet duck.

And then tag me into your photo. It's my dream to go there.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:06 am

I recommend Philadephia over Baltimore.

Re the rest, you have to be more specific what you're looking for. Are you going to go to Wilmington to check it out? No. Dover? Hell no. But the beach areas are really nice. Cape Henlopen includes a state park that has gorgeous beaches. Rehoboth (great restaurants and a nice mix of the gays and families), Lewes (quaint, nice restaurants and boutiques), and Dewey (party scene 20s-50s--great live music at the Bottle and Cork and the Starboard). Cape May is a ferry ride, and Stone Harbor and Avalon are lovely and have good nightlife. I grew up with Stone Harbor being my 2nd home.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:58 am

You can spend a couple of pleasant hours in Dover or Wilmington if you have some reason to be there, but they are not destinations.

All East Coach beaches are better after Labor Day. Cape May fills up with birders though.

I am from Baltimore (if being here thirty years counts as "from") and I agree with Chip that Philadelphia has more to it.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:03 am

fishface, there is a Big Duck on Long Island, but as far as I know it has nothing to do with toilets. Are you mixing up two places? I don't know of any Big Toilets anywhere.

txgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by txgirl » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:32 pm

shilgia wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:18 am
(So let me know if you want to do that particular trip in the early fall; if you want we could do this together starting from my place.)

Have you explored Pennsylvania?
Let's do it!! When do you get back, mid-September? I'll message you about it in the coming weeks. There's a cheap way to stay in the Hamptons but it needs advance planning. Summer is out for sure. September we may be doable.

Yup, I've done Philly. I liked it, and would like to spend more time there now that it's warmer and am more able to enjoy things. But if I'm to pick a place I'd spend more time in, it'd be NYC, so unlikely to have a repeat Philly visit.

Thanks for input everyone.

Yeah, I'd like to avoid overnight stays as much as I can (already have a few weekends blocked for that).

Fish, what are you talking about?! LOL. I have no idea what you're referring to but if you clarify and it's on my way, definitely a photo and a tag!!

txgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by txgirl » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:40 pm

Chip_Oatley wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:06 am

Re the rest, you have to be more specific what you're looking for. Are you going to go to Wilmington to check it out? No. Dover? Hell no. But the beach areas are really nice. Cape Henlopen includes a state park that has gorgeous beaches. Rehoboth (great restaurants and a nice mix of the gays and families), Lewes (quaint, nice restaurants and boutiques), and Dewey (party scene 20s-50s--great live music at the Bottle and Cork and the Starboard). Cape May is a ferry ride, and Stone Harbor and Avalon are lovely and have good nightlife. I grew up with Stone Harbor being my 2nd home.
I wasn't planning on Wilmington or Dover. Cape Henlopen and Rehoboth are what I was looking at.

shilgia
Stew Ingredient

Post by shilgia » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:44 pm

I think fish may be referring to the thing Vinny posted about.

And yes, I think early/mid-Sept, but am not 100% sure of timing yet. I think it should work out, though!
Last edited by shilgia on Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shilgia
Stew Ingredient

Post by shilgia » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:45 pm

Sorry, to clarify, that’s a logo of the Toilet Duck brand.

txgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by txgirl » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:55 pm

No worries, I'm sure it will :)

Ha, ok that makes sense.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:50 pm

If only someone had put together a list of interesting towns in the US.

DaBaba
Stew Ingredient

Post by DaBaba » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:31 am

Lewes, Delaware isn't bad for a touristy beach town. Most of the rest of Delaware, what little there is off it, is just like America, except with better cheese steaks and hoagies.

Wildwood, NJ has a sleazy charm. I haven't been there this century, but have family who have places there. Cape May, too.

Cape Cod is nice, but crazy this time of year. If you can afford the Lower Cape, anything on the Sound side from Chatham to Truro is nice. The Bay side from Dennis or Brewster, much quieter.
我爱,所以我挨。
Inside Every Liberal is a Totalitarian Screaming to Get Out

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:57 am

I like Long Beach Island for beaches in New Jersey. Barnegat Light area and Surf City.

Less developed and more natural beaches. My friends and I would rent a skiff and go out on the bay there and fish.
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:05 am

Point Pleasant is a good close beach that is convenient for North Jersey folks to make day trips. The boardwalk is much more laidback than Seaside or Wildwood. There’s a bar right on the beach- I think they even have servers who will bring drinks right to your beach blanket.

Sandy Hook has a nude beach and the remnants of a military base that protected the coast during WWI. And a bar!

fishface
Stew Ingredient

Post by fishface » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:06 am

VinnyD wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:03 am
fishface, there is a Big Duck on Long Island, but as far as I know it has nothing to do with toilets. Are you mixing up two places? I don't know of any Big Toilets anywhere.

That's the place! The giant duck! I want to see that.

That also explains why Googling 'toilet duck monument in New York' was a fail!

Please go to the giant duck :)

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:24 am

Godjira wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:57 am
I like Long Beach Island for beaches in New Jersey. Barnegat Light area and Surf City.

Less developed and more natural beaches. My friends and I would rent a skiff and go out on the bay there and fish.
Your 80s nostalgia is not helpful to the OP. What is she going to do on LBI? It's fine if you're renting an entire house for a week and just want to chill. Stone Harbor/Avalon is similar in that regard (though more upscale), but are at least closer to Cape May and with nicer restaurants. Anyway, on that note, check out Cape May and then take the ferry to Lewes/Rehoboth. You'll need a car.

On a tragic note, a Filipino-American family returning to N. NJ from the beach in OC MD, were in a terrible accident on Friday in DE. All four daughters (13-20) and the dad were killed. Mom survived.

DianaHaddad
Stew Ingredient

Post by DianaHaddad » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:40 am

Yeah, that accident has been all over the news here in the area near where they lived. Unfortunately, none of the girls had a seatbelt on. Such a terrible story.
"Suck it, Trebek."

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:03 am

Chip_Oatley wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:24 am
Godjira wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:57 am

Your 80s nostalgia is not helpful to the OP. What is she going to do on LBI? It's fine if you're renting an entire house for a week and just want to chill. Stone Harbor/Avalon is similar in that regard (though more upscale), but are at least closer to Cape May and with nicer restaurants. Anyway, on that note, check out Cape May and then take the ferry to Lewes/Rehoboth. You'll need a car.

On a tragic note, a Filipino-American family returning to N. NJ from the beach in OC MD, were in a terrible accident on Friday in DE. All four daughters (13-20) and the dad were killed. Mom survived.
Well, I think she can rent a skiff with her friends and go fishing! Or just spend a couple of days at the beach. It's a nicer beach than at Cape May, but yes- it lacks all the other stuff, like other things to do.

I read about that accident- really terrible. Wear your seat belts, please!

FUUZ
Stew Ingredient

Post by FUUZ » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:17 am

Au Sable Chasim in New York might be up your alley.
As I wander and chunder, I ponder and wonder.
I'm Slumming in Bedlam. Amuse me.

txgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by txgirl » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:11 am

My sister wanted to go there when were in Lake Champlain Fuuz but we didn't have enough time. Yes, I would most likely like it.

Read about the crash too. Terrible.

BP, I did your suggestion back in November!!!

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:45 am

shilgia wrote:
Cape May is very nice, but probably a madhouse this time of year. Long Island you could conceivably do in a day trip (or stay somewhere farther from the coast if accommodation becomes tricky/expensive). That said, a day trip like that would be better started in NYC rather than an hour into NJ. (So let me know if you want to do that particular trip in the early fall; if you want we could do this together starting from my place.)
hmm - you want to drive 2 1/2 hours to the East End of LI in the crowded middle of summer, and then back the same day? not sure what the point of this would be unless there was something specific she wanted to see -- the East End is usually a place people want to go and spend a few days at least and relax, right? eat out, go to the beach, go to the beach on the South Fork side, eat out again, hang with friends, maybe hang around Sag Harbor, go to farmstands in Amagansett, drive the back roads around North Sea and Noyack, drive to the Montauk lighthouse, maybe visit Hither Hills, etc. if it's just the beach, there are obviously other beaches that are closer. guess it could be done, but just sayin'...
"Iranians apparently disagree with korgy"

Ped_Yai
Stew Ingredient

Post by Ped_Yai » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:31 am

korgy wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:45 am
shilgia wrote:
hmm - you want to drive 2 1/2 hours to the East End of LI in the crowded middle of summer, and then back the same day? not sure what the point of this would be unless there was something specific she wanted to see -- the East End is usually a place people want to go and spend a few days at least and relax, right? eat out, go to the beach, go to the beach on the South Fork side, eat out again, hang with friends, maybe hang around Sag Harbor, go to farmstands in Amagansett, drive the back roads around North Sea and Noyack, drive to the Montauk lighthouse, maybe visit Hither Hills, etc. if it's just the beach, there are obviously other beaches that are closer. guess it could be done, but just sayin'...

Maybe they want to see George Costanza's beach house.
No subject on which I am called to speak is ever slighted, and if a moral lesson or a religious precept can be drawn from it, the opportunity is never allowed to pass unheeded. My constant aim is to elevate and instruct humanity.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:06 pm

shilgia and I had an excellent daytrip to the Hamptons from Manhattan a few years ago. Except for terrible traffic in the city on the way home, and the inability to take a shower after swimming in the ocean, it was pretty much a perfect day.

Of the things you mention, we: relaxed, ate out (dinner at the American Hotel in Sag Harbor), hung arond Sag Harbor; went to the beach on the South Fork (Wainscott); drove to the Montauk Lighthouse (and had a picnic lunch on the rocks); and hung out with each other. We also had pie a la mode at the Bridgehampton Candy Kitchen and walked around the village of East Hampton, took a look at my mother"s former house, and had a long walk through Wainscott and along the beach.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:34 pm

ok Vinny, i guess it is doable and worth it then -- sounds nice, your trip. did you go on a weekend? i wouldnt do it either driving out Friday night or returning on a Sunday night -- i'm sure shilgia knows this

where was your mother's house?

funny about the American Hotel -- a friend of mine invited me to come crash on her sofa one weekend about twenty-five years ago in Sag Harbor -- i said i would take her out to dinner, so we went went there and she got the most expensive thing on the menu, the Surf and Turf. tacky.

i liked Sag Harbor better back then -- now it's more like East Hampton. i do have several friends who have bought in the Springs though, which used to be the working class area. my favorite beach used to be Peter's Pond, which is near Sagaponack, off Sagg Road. the beaches on the north side of the fork are nice also, on Gardiner's Bay. one now-dead friend of mine, well-know art historian, used to call that area the South of France
"Iranians apparently disagree with korgy"