Asking for a sabbatical..

The Richard Allan Bodine Lounge... have a drink and talk about whatever you'd like

Moderator: Moderator

leela
Stew Ingredient

Re: Asking for a sabbatical..

Post by leela » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:16 am

Also what Matt said. To anyone not on the same page, your reasons seem very trivial. And the more certain you give, the more trivial it sounds. You get away with France, I think, but skiing to many people, has connotations that might work against you, however unfair that might be.
Pass the wine...

rezuar
Stew Ingredient

Post by rezuar » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:24 am

matt_melb wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:39 am
I would remove all references to skiing, France, and the cost of ski lift passes. I would simply say that I and [bloke] wanted the opportunity to spend a block of time with kid before kid starts school, that you plan to travel overseas, and that Feb to April are the only available window having regard to constraints arising from other commitments.
Good suggestion, too, matt!
Keep an open mind but not so open your brain falls out.

Andrea1
Stew Ingredient

Post by Andrea1 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:33 am

Flora wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:03 pm

February to April is the best time of year to be in this part of France for the activities we’d like to introduce her to. If this period of time is not feasible, I am willing to discuss alternatives, although we are bound slightly by weather conditions.
I'd take that out for the reason Matt gave plus would you really consider September to November/May to July?

Flora
Stew Ingredient

Post by Flora » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:44 am

No. We're going to ski. Can't ski from May - November.

They know that we're waiting for them to confirm dates before bloke books his dates.

I'm a bit sick of it now, don't care if it's yes or no.

When I leave, the one that no one likes will step up. The head loves her, but lots of other people will leave too. They won't work for her. Well, that's what they say and there's no reason to not believe them. Head knows that too, would just rather it happens on his say so rather than mine I expect.

This isn't me bigging myself up, the alternative would be worse than anyone. She's one of the worst colleagues I've ever had, lies, lies some more, cries all the time, isn't doing her job properly... yet somehow the head loves her. He just won't have a bad word said.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:48 am

leela wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:16 am
Also what Matt said. To anyone not on the same page, your reasons seem very trivial. And the more certain you give, the more trivial it sounds. You get away with France, I think, but skiing to many people, has connotations that might work against you, however unfair that might be.
Too late to edit. Certain = detail. Damn you, autocorrect.
Pass the wine...

Andrea1
Stew Ingredient

Post by Andrea1 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:52 am

Flora wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:44 am

When I leave, the one that no one likes will step up. The head loves her, but lots of other people will leave too. They won't work for her. Well, that's what they say and there's no reason to not believe them. Head knows that too, would just rather it happens on his say so rather than mine I expect.
To me, if staff will leave (and they're aware of it) it's doing you a favour - they'll be/should be desperate for you, an experienced, proficient teacher, to come back. Unless they're of the 'cutting your nose off to spite your face' mindset.

Andrea1
Stew Ingredient

Post by Andrea1 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:57 am

Flora wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:44 am

They know that we're waiting for them to confirm dates before bloke books his dates.
You could claim that this is the only time your partner can take out.

Flora
Stew Ingredient

Post by Flora » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:42 pm

It's on the agenda for tonight's governors meeting... I saw it there. Fingers crossed (although I'm not sure which way I want that fingers crossed to go...). Just want a decision.

Iolar
Stew Ingredient

Post by Iolar » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:46 pm

Brexit isn't going to happen. But, tbh, I'd probably leave the UK for somewhere a bit more stable anyway.
I like big quotes and I cannot lie

Flora
Stew Ingredient

Post by Flora » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:00 pm

Yeah. Boyfriend's going on a job mission to Barcelona next week. Not strictly 'more stable' but I'd care less.

Flora
Stew Ingredient

Post by Flora » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:13 pm

They said no. All about precedent.

So, next letter is about permission to leave at Feb half term instead of Christmas or Easter, which is official leave dates for teachers.

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:14 pm

And if they say no to that, will you leave at Christmas?
Things fall apart, it's scientific.

Flora
Stew Ingredient

Post by Flora » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:43 pm

I guess I'll have to. Suspect we might do a bit of rethinking our plans.

I don't mind that much. I assume there is some element of them wanting me to go. It would be easy to mitigate the precedent thing - minimum time limit etc - but they've chosen not to do that. They aren't very brave or inspired as a governing body, so not surprised.

jessica_fletcher
Stew Ingredient

Post by jessica_fletcher » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:56 pm

I didn't realise you had to ask permission to leave in Feb?
VinnyD wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:13 pm
Oops.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:33 pm

If I had to decide on a sabbatical in a school, I'd be worried about precedent, too. People wanting to take advantage of a decision made for someone else, rarely accept that the circumstances might be different. I've witnessed quite a bit of illogical wailing and gnashing of teeth because "they let X do it. Why not meee?", over much less than a sabbatical.
Pass the wine...

Flora
Stew Ingredient

Post by Flora » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:13 pm

Yeah we've got some idiot TAs who would want to go on holiday mid term and complain to governors etc if not allowed.

I still think they just want me to leave.

Paddox1
Stew Ingredient

Post by Paddox1 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:57 pm

I was offered a sabbatical when I left my first school. I chose not to take it. Retrospectively I should have done although I wouldn’t be here, now, if I had.

Weird where life takes you.

Flora
Stew Ingredient

Post by Flora » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:03 pm

I'm coming round to leaving the more I think about it. Need to work out how to train for something else between now and end of April.