Lock down..

The Richard Allan Bodine Lounge... have a drink and talk about whatever you'd like

Moderator: Moderator

Flora
Stew Ingredient

Lock down..

Post by Flora » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:42 pm

.. does your work place have a lock down procedure?

Do you rehearse it?
Has it ever been used for real?

My tiny rural primary school has one, we've rehearsed it once, it was a nightmare. Kids melting down. Urgh.

Sad that we think we need to have one.

lolasf
Former showgirl

Re: Lock down..

Post by lolasf » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:44 pm

Nope. We have an emergency evacuation plan for earthquakes and stuff, we've practiced that a few times.
Things fall apart, it's scientific.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:45 pm

No. Office and school shootings aren't a thing here.

Though, as with most offices and banks, and condos, and restaurants, and so on in this country, there is armed security outside, security inside, and a second layer of security after that.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:32 pm

My daughter drew this at school a few weeks ago. It's a school shooting. Alice = Alert-Lockdown-Inform-Confront-Escape. At the top is her teacher leading the class to the safety spot (a nearby park), while the two police officers are shooting the Bad Guy (who has two eye patches because while bad guys have eye patches, really Bad Guys have two).

My revolutionary farmer friend once labeled me as "severely creative." Yes, yes, I like tall-bike building and riding, making fermented foods, wild-crafting and being silent in places where there are no human sounds.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:37 pm

What a fcuked up country America is...

k2w3
Stew Ingredient

Post by k2w3 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:41 pm

Why is Confront ahead of Escape. I hope it's to create a nice acronym rather than the prescribed sequence of events.
NA: "You just have to search out the weirdos who are weird in a way that seems perfectly normal to you."

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:44 pm

Mine didn't, but I'm guessing that it might do now, or in the near future. The school my daughter works at has recently instituted one which she's had to practice with her (autistic) kids. So I'm assuming that at some local or national government level it's being encouraged.

I know of one other school (secondary special ed) that's had one for a while, but it's for if one of their older students loses it badly, rather than terrorism or domestic violence overspill.
Pass the wine...

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:50 pm

As students, we used to practice what to do in the event of a nuclear war.

At work we did have lock down procedures both in our offices and in the hospital. We did practice it occasionally and yes- we had several times when it was for real. Working with mental health patients these things sometimes come up.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:52 pm

We had a lockdown drill a few months ago. Our safety officer who planned and ran it is a retired Delta Force commander. He and his two helpers 'killed' like 80 people before there was any semblance of a response.
My revolutionary farmer friend once labeled me as "severely creative." Yes, yes, I like tall-bike building and riding, making fermented foods, wild-crafting and being silent in places where there are no human sounds.

cowtown
Stew Ingredient

Post by cowtown » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:57 pm

We have Active Shooter training once a year in our office buildings. I think there is a massive insurance break involved with it
Jim-2012 wrote:I *heart* Hitler

shilgia
Stew Ingredient

Post by shilgia » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:16 pm

No. Just fire drills.

madmonday
Stew Ingredient

Post by madmonday » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:14 am

In the construction industry mainly fire/gas leaks practices once to see if it works. Last active shooter scenarios involved active shooters...long live my new life.
Supporter and former member of door kickers Australia

madmonday
Stew Ingredient

Post by madmonday » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:16 am

section8 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:32 pm
My daughter drew this at school a few weeks ago. It's a school shooting. Alice = Alert-Lockdown-Inform-Confront-Escape. At the top is her teacher leading the class to the safety spot (a nearby park), while the two police officers are shooting the Bad Guy (who has two eye patches because while bad guys have eye patches, really Bad Guys have two).

Nice picture.....the confront part was similiar to working with US army if they were ambushed...from memory seek cover was after confront the threat/return fire...
Supporter and former member of door kickers Australia

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:19 am

awesome picture!

ya, we had lockdowns practice every few months. nobody was melting over it tho.
You only get one turn on this merry-go-round of life. Chase your happiness. -Nines

dragon
Stew Ingredient

Post by dragon » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:19 am

We have lockdown drills. I hate them. But I guess they're necessarily. If they even help,
She is a great-kneed person.

incognita
red fanged She-devil

Post by incognita » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:51 am

I put together an ERP for my workplace, but we haven't had any drills. We probably should though
As an adult, the beer aisle at the grocery makes me feel exactly like the cereal aisle made me feel as a kid.

matt_melb
Stew Ingredient

Post by matt_melb » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:19 am

This is how we do it in Australia

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:51 am

Our lock down procedure involved firstly deciding; who was getting the teas in?
Followed by, are there any biscuits?

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:07 am

It makes me very sad that mini-S8 had to draw that.

We don't have a drill but we had a meeting a few weeks ago. They described a scenario that seemed realistic to me for what we do. Very depressing.
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:08 am

Yeah, I know a kid whose nursery school was near the WTC. His father ran all the way downtown to get him. They saw people jumping. The boy later drew that.

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:14 am

at my current client all meetings start with a safety message, where you are told where the exits are, you get a volunteer to call 911, you get a volunteer who can do cpr, you get the 'in case of an active shooter, do this ...' message, etc. there are similar safety messages for telephone conference calls - if you're in a car, you must stop, etc.

all bathrooms recently got these installed. so bathrooms are now hideouts in case of an active shooter.

tortuga
Stew Ingredient

Post by tortuga » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:40 am

We only have fire drills.

But two of my colleagues are ex-soldiers, so if there's every anything I'll try to run in their general direction.

rezuar
Stew Ingredient

Post by rezuar » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:51 am

We only have fire drills, but both my office and classrooms are on the ground floor so I feel auite safe.
Also, I try not to piss off my students much.
Keep an open mind but not so open your brain falls out.

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:27 am

We have a fire drill every few years.

We had a seminar on mass shootings a few years ago, tough. We didn't think it was necessary and complained about it a lot when we learned about it, but it was actually one if the best seminars/workshops we'd had until then. Still, not really necessary, but it can't hurt to know stuff.

Section's daughteer's drawing is sad, but maybe not surprising.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:05 am

Back in the 80s, we had a "what if terrorists tried to take over the rig" scenario acted out by marines or some type of special forces..

I was onshore so missed it. I remember the crane op saying he had to sweep his jib across the helideck to prevent choppers landing but they just hovered above and came down on ropes.

Allegedly, Snowy the roughneck, stoned as usual, was not fully aware, and when he saw a masked man with machine gun come down through the shaker house he hit him with a shovel.

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:22 am

We have a kind of long stick with a c shaped bar on the end that we were trained to use to disarm and hold assailants. They have plastic on the bar to keep it from getting dusty.
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!

Potpie
Stew Ingredient

Post by Potpie » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:24 am

back in grade school we only had drills for fire, earthquake, and bombs. Yes, former students who hated the catholic grade school would call in and make bomb threats. So the bell would ring for the bomb scare, and we'd all file out of the school and head across the street and sit on the sidewalk until the fire department did a check of the school to make sure of no suspicious packages. It was so routine it didn't seem odd at all.

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:30 am

We had Defense Days in primary school in Yugoslavia. The idea was to teach us what to do in case another war broke out, but basically it was a day in the forest. We all brought sandwiches and put them in a big bag or barrel or something, and when it was snack time you just took one from the bag/barrel so you'd get someone else's sandwich. That's how we learned not to be picky, apparently. The thing was, we all brough mortadella sandwiches because that's what everyone ate at the time, so it didn't really matter whose sandwich you got.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:39 am

Every year or so the fire alarm goes off and we stand in the road for a bit.
Sometimes the alarm is tested but we don’t stand in the road.

‘Lock down’ sounds like something with Bruce Willis in it.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

fishface
Stew Ingredient

Post by fishface » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:29 am

We have a nice booklet of scenarios (active shooter, gas leak, white powder etc) and what we should do in the event the situation occurs. It helpfully says to hide in the event of a shooter. I think maybe run also but mainly hide. I think the logic there is that you don't know how many shooters are involved? Dunno. Nobody reads them carefully unless they are bored at lunchtime.

The one we actually practice for is a fire/evacuation drill and i think a yearly earthquake drill. Oh and whenever you have first time visitors you have to give them a safety briefing which for most people just consists of being told "the stairs are there *points* and if you have to go, don't take your fricken cup of coffee". Seriously every time there is a drill i think the floor wardens spend their whole time yelling at people to not bring their coffee. Tbf with the earthquakes we are pretty much regularly told to keep our kits up to date. And the stuff for the floor wardens is pretty accessible for everyone.

So it's mainly earthquake and fire.

rezuar
Stew Ingredient

Post by rezuar » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:50 am

GLimpet wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:05 am
Back in the 80s, we had a "what if terrorists tried to take over the rig" scenario acted out by marines or some type of special forces..

I was onshore so missed it. I remember the crane op saying he had to sweep his jib across the helideck to prevent choppers landing but they just hovered above and came down on ropes.
GLimpet, I thought of you the other day when I was watching the Deepwater Horizon film with my students. The temptation to tell them that I actually “know” a man who’d worked on rigs was very strong, but I resisted.
By the way, they didn’t understand a word off that film.
Keep an open mind but not so open your brain falls out.

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:57 pm

Chip_Oatley wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:08 am
Yeah, I know a kid whose nursery school was near the WTC. His father ran all the way downtown to get him. They saw people jumping. The boy later drew that.
horrible:( and yeah what pez said sad kids see stuff like that, or draw it, but maybe it helps. MAYBE they draw it so someone will discuss how scared, hurt, etc they are having seen it....or worry about it and wish they could talk about it, someone would ask them their fears
Taking advantage of what is not working to make changes in your life often leads to your greatest opportunities and accomplishments --GND

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:01 pm

GLimpet wrote:
when he saw a masked man with machine gun come down through the shaker house he hit him with a shovel.
...only in Scotland

lol

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:03 pm

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:01 pm
GLimpet wrote:
when he saw a masked man with machine gun come down through the shaker house he hit him with a shovel.
...only in Scotland

lol
^
Taking advantage of what is not working to make changes in your life often leads to your greatest opportunities and accomplishments --GND

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:16 pm

I hope sec8's daughter's drawing is the saddest thing I'll see today. It'd a very god drawing, don't get me wrong. Her use of perspective is very exciting. But still.

I just found out two weeks ago that I'm the fire marshall at work. This is after working there for four months. I'm not sure they take fire safety all that seriously.
Our problem is civil obedience. -Howard Zinn

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:27 pm

We don't have anything at work. The fire alarm goes off a few times a year, but it isn't on purpose. We all go out and stand around until it stops and then we go back in. Well, some people to to Starbucks and get a coffee.

My wife in an educator and they have lockdown drills as well as fire (monthly) and other emergency drills. Basically for some of the drills they administration gets a scenario from then central office and then they conduct the drill according to the scenario. Can be a tornado, earthquake or whatever. Sometimes the specify injuries or certain team members killed. It is a sad world we live in but I guess better to be prepared.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:39 pm

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:01 pm
GLimpet wrote:
...only in Scotland

lol
Snowy was an English ex-para.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:40 pm

fishface wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:29 am
We have a nice booklet of scenarios (active shooter, gas leak, white powder etc) and what we should do in the event the situation occurs. It helpfully says to hide in the event of a shooter. I think maybe run also but mainly hide. I think the logic there is that you don't know how many shooters are involved? Dunno. Nobody reads them carefully unless they are bored at lunchtime.

The one we actually practice for is a fire/evacuation drill and i think a yearly earthquake drill. Oh and whenever you have first time visitors you have to give them a safety briefing which for most people just consists of being told "the stairs are there *points* and if you have to go, don't take your fricken cup of coffee". Seriously every time there is a drill i think the floor wardens spend their whole time yelling at people to not bring their coffee. Tbf with the earthquakes we are pretty much regularly told to keep our kits up to date. And the stuff for the floor wardens is pretty accessible for everyone.

So it's mainly earthquake and fire.
Oh yeah, on NZ offshore rigs, they have earthquake drills.

incognita
red fanged She-devil

Post by incognita » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:45 pm

We had animal escape drills at the zoo. I stayed at my post, but facilitated communications so I was still in the middle of it. Glad for the training because there was a time when I really needed it (for a person in an exhibit instead of an animal outside it).

We never had an active shooter drill though.
As an adult, the beer aisle at the grocery makes me feel exactly like the cereal aisle made me feel as a kid.

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:00 pm

I'll ask my brother the teacher if they have those kind of drills. I don't think so.

Where I work we have fire drills but actually, we have about 50 false alarms every year so we get plenty of practice without them - I think we haven't had an actual planned drill for years.

The false alarms - we go to our muster point and do a headcount. Can't go back in until the headcount is complete. If it's cold, they bring over buses for everyone to sit in and keep warm (and there's a building close to the muster point that is separate from the main building so some people can go in there after they've been counted).

We've only had two at camp while I was on site (both false alarms, not drills). It was unpleasant to find that the people in my dorm milled around like sheep instead of heading to the exit. I ended up marshalling everyone to get out the nearest door. They absolutely all should have known what to do and not be waiting for someone to say "yes, we have to go to the muster point". Seriously, it should be automatic. The alarm goes, you put on shoes and go.

Oh - we got a massage therapist up to site once. I had the last massage of the night, from 10:30 - 11:00. 5 minutes into it, the fire alarm went. That was NOT relaxing.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:59 pm

We have no drills, including fire drills. We work in a smallish one story building though.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:03 pm

We have tornado drills once a month at our HQ.
We also have extra fortified rooms for us to gather in.
We also have a tornado warning alarm go off in town and on our phone system every Monday morning at 9:00am.
About 7 years ago I was at a strategic planning meeting and a town not 50 km (30 miles) away got completely wiped off the map.
i think about 50 people died.
i remember because our swear jar proceeds went to them.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:30 pm

Homerj wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:03 pm

i remember because our swear jar proceeds went to them.
Which cunt was it had the great idea to have one of those?

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:33 pm

Ha! The VP of marketing.
Motherfucker.
Some days I went home $15-20 bucks poorer...and that was greenbacks...not arctic pesos.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

k2w3
Stew Ingredient

Post by k2w3 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:44 pm

Damn, I'd hate that. One dude in my office (before I worked from home) reckoned I suffered from tourettes. ha! He was a pretty straight-laced fucker, but.
NA: "You just have to search out the weirdos who are weird in a way that seems perfectly normal to you."

Vodd
Stew Ingredient

Post by Vodd » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:32 pm

One of my children's schools did it recently, it seems like needless scaremongering and pretty pointless as to how it would benefit anyone.

Do schools have polite notices up directing terrorists along the approved route that you've practiced? Are your instructions to run or to hide? Are you required to risk your life for a child? What if it's one you don't like or worse, one having a negative impact on your SATS results?

Sorry, not having a go at you. It will happen one day I'm sure but wtf do they expect a load of middle aged women to do against armed lunatics? It was the same on polling day last year when some bored guy was on 'guard' outside our local school polling station. What was he going to do other than die first in an attack
They tire of quiet, that have known the storm.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:41 pm

Vodd,

Honestly if you look at information about school shootings those :middle aged women" are often credited with saving the lives of children and yes, they often risk their lives for the lives of the children. It is sad that they have to have these drills but know the procedures can and has saved lives.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:50 pm

Vodd wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:32 pm
wtf do they expect a load of middle aged women to do against armed lunatics
The drills are nothing to do with doing something against armed lunatics. They're about protecting the children. From what my daughter has said, it's about the kids knowing where their 'safe places' are in the classroom, and going there quickly and instinctively when they hear the instruction. The 'middle aged women' (and my young daughter) are advised on how best to get the kids there, keep them there, and keep them calm. Also how to react to what might follow/who to take instruction from.
Pass the wine...

eric84

Post by eric84 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:51 pm

Vodd wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:32 pm
One of my children's schools did it recently, it seems like needless scaremongering and pretty pointless as to how it would benefit anyone.

Do schools have polite notices up directing terrorists along the approved route that you've practiced? Are your instructions to run or to hide? Are you required to risk your life for a child? What if it's one you don't like or worse, one having a negative impact on your SATS results?

Sorry, not having a go at you. It will happen one day I'm sure but wtf do they expect a load of middle aged women to do against armed lunatics? It was the same on polling day last year when some bored guy was on 'guard' outside our local school polling station. What was he going to do other than die first in an attack
I just saw an fb post that's making the rounds.....security folks want kids to make as much noise and running around as possible. Why? Not to save their lives but to have it take longer to kill them so it may save others. How sad is it that American schools are reduced to this, trying to cut down on the number of children mowed down by a man with a gun.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:58 pm

I also imagine the bored guy was more likely there to prevent random parents from using the to and fro-ing of random adults as cover to come into the school. You'd probably be surprised how many children have parents who are not allowed contact. Even in a small school you'll find that there are quite a few children who' have a parent who is not allowed on the premises for various safeguarding reasons, and office and reception staff are very alert to that.

It's those people that schools (at least here) are more concerned about when members of the public are given access to part of the school.
Pass the wine...