Stealing off your employer..

The Richard Allan Bodine Lounge... have a drink and talk about whatever you'd like

Moderator: Moderator

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Re: Stealing off your employer..

Post by EMG » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:49 pm

Yeah I'm sure Vinny knows what a soda gun is and knew exactly what Felix was saying.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:10 pm

matt_melb wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:40 pm
VinnyD wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:26 pm
Any guesses as to a gun-soda? I guess it might be a typo for gin-soda, but that is not a very common drink.
Not that it matters, because who gives a fuck, it's clearly a free drink ... but I would guess coke, lemon squash or some other fizzy, produced from the system that links up kegs of gunky syrupy mix with a carbonation device, and delivers the resulting carbonated beverage from a single nozzle (or 'gun') on the end of a flexible hose, where the appropriate drink is selected by pressing one of the multiple buttons located on the nozzle.

You could find a picture by googling 'soda gun'.

I believe the ingredients in such a drink are worth about 10c, so if you're giving one to a mate who dropped into the bar to see you and wouldn't otherwise have been there buying a drink at full price, it's hardly theft on a grand scale.

ETA: damn, beaten by Scrubb!
Actually you were beaten by me when I asked the question.
And what is a gun-soda? A soda made with a soda gun?
But it was Scrubb who supplied the crucial fact that sodas in bottles and cans are counted, and that sodas from a gun cannot be, or not easily. I had not thught of that. Thank you.

Stephen, no.

Iolar
Stew Ingredient

Post by Iolar » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:04 am

I believe the ingredients in such a drink are worth about 10c, so if you're giving one to a mate who dropped into the bar to see you and wouldn't otherwise have been there buying a drink at full price, it's hardly theft on a grand scale.
The cost price is irrelevant. And there is a lot more that goes into the pricing of an item than the cost of raw materials, especially in hospitality where staff costs are a huge percentage of revenue. It's stock that could have been sold at full price to a paying customer. I have no tolerance for theft of any kind. It's gross misconduct and an immediate firing offence. My lost revenue resulting from theft will also be garnished from any pay that is owed to the former employee.
I like big quotes and I cannot lie

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:08 am

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand why did I know exactly what the last contribution to a thread about gold theft would be when I saw who made it?

matt_melb
Stew Ingredient

Post by matt_melb » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:30 am

Iolar wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:04 am
The cost price is irrelevant. And there is a lot more that goes into the pricing of an item than the cost of raw materials, especially in hospitality where staff costs are a huge percentage of revenue. It's stock that could have been sold at full price to a paying customer. I have no tolerance for theft of any kind. It's gross misconduct and an immediate firing offence. My lost revenue resulting from theft will also be garnished from any pay that is owed to the former employee.
I don't entirely disagree with your 'no theft tolerated' approach.

However, in relation to your logic:

1. It's not in any sensible economic sense 'stock that could have been sold at full price to a paying customer'. There is no limit on the number of kegs of soda gunk that you can get from the supplier. Giving a free drink, with a cost price of 10c, to the mate who drops in to the bar, does not limit the number of full price drinks that you sell at $4 or whatever to your paying customers. You will not run out. All your paying customers, if any, will be served in full. So you've only lost 10c, not $4.

2. You could make a business decision about whether or not you ultimately profit from a bartender who has mates who drop into the bar, get a free 10c cost drink, like the look of the place and then come back another time with a group of paying customers. If yes, you might agree rules with your bartender about how much is to be given away, to make it clear to you both that sensible promotional activity is to be encouraged while theft is not accepted.

Nines
Regular Guy

Post by Nines » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:43 am

I knew a guy who got fired for banging his Euclid mud flaps into 5 gallon buckets to take home and pan for gold.

Company said that mud was their property.

rider5
Stew Ingredient

Post by rider5 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:56 am

High grading in hard rock mines is probably as old as the trade itself. This seems quite unlike that.

And I'm not advocating high grading.

rider5
Stew Ingredient

Post by rider5 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:41 am

I've worked plenty of blue collar jobs and the worst fellow workers were the ones that actively hated the employer (and had inevitably been there for ages). They were also the ones which had no problem with petty theft but not always. I hate that attitude.

What is it with Australia and the culture of justifiable theft from employers? Is it a direct import from the UK or something? A nation of scoundrels pride? The NE US can be pretty bad from what I've heard.

ExPat From Hell
Stew Ingredient

Post by ExPat From Hell » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:48 am

I would have kept the gold. I would not have even thought twice about it. And as a numismatist with questionable ethics in this regard, I know of many ways to launder both raw ore, and ore processed into coins, etc. Subscribe to my channel #whennumismatistsgorogue
Not gay as in happy. Queer as in Fuck You.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:49 am

rider5 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:41 am
Is it a direct import from the UK or something?
We sent them the crims, and you, the puritans.

I know which I prefer.

rider5
Stew Ingredient

Post by rider5 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:59 am

I do not blame you for shipping off the Puritans. Good riddance. They are still a force here unfortunately.

matt_melb
Stew Ingredient

Post by matt_melb » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:29 am

rider5 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:41 am
What is it with Australia and the culture of justifiable theft from employers? Is it a direct import from the UK or something? A nation of scoundrels pride? The NE US can be pretty bad from what I've heard.
Yeah, I think we do have a problem with this.

I’m ashamed to admit that when I left a job a few years ago, I did take a packet of post-it notes.

Also a box of used bulldog clips. But as most of my colleagues used to just chuck them away with unwanted documents, while I used to remove and save them before putting the paper in the recycling bin, I felt entitled to them.

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:41 am

ExPat From Hell wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:48 am
I would have kept the gold. I would not have even thought twice about it. And as a numismatist with questionable ethics in this regard, I know of many ways to launder both raw ore, and ore processed into coins, etc. Subscribe to my channel #whennumismatistsgorogue
Yep 100%..
Throw a few silver and copper coins in the melting pot to change the "fingerprint" of the gold.. makes it untraceable.
Then, at least In this country , just take some time off and go prospecting, say you found it, melted it down, sold it, end of story.
Probably what most pump sump shutdown cleaners have been doing over the decades, no way this was the first time ever that Amount of gold had built up in the machinery..

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:53 am

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:20 pm

What would ^ Dave think?

Being from Victoria (and obvious all-round national crim psyche), I think dBrother's natural leaning is towards a bit of petty larceny as being 'fair dinkum'.

I have sympathy towards his views towards Gold. I would have similar feelings if an African mining company had some of its diamonds pilfered by its workers.

But...

Gold is gold because it is gold. If we all stopped seeing it as gold, it would stop being gold. But, as it is it is gold for a reason. Thus it is important to all of us and very precious.

Between 1999-02, our Chancellor (Gordon 'one eye' Brown) made the decision to sell off half the UK's gold deposits - see price rise thereafter.

That would have come in useful in the 2008 crash (when you were then PM)

Thanks Gordon.
Our treasurer, Costello , not the world's best, sold off most of our gold in about 97 or 98, bought US treasury bonds with the proceeds..
They must have attended the same economic school as the likes of dear leader funky did..

And yes, my heart fails to bleed for multinational tax dodging dirty miners..

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:56 am

It becomes cost effective to search employees as they leave company property.
Then they wonder why they’re treated like criminals.
The problem is that some of them are criminals.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

http://www.officialmikepence.com

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:57 am

leela wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:35 pm
rezuar wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:41 pm
I stole five sheets of photocopy paper from my employer yesterday. Also, I used the printer for private stuff on those five sheets.
To my defense...the prints were black&white.
That's about my level of stealing. Though I used to take a couple of little plastic zip wallets to use for my travel documents whenever I went on a trip. They were super useful, just the right size, and in my defence, can't be bought in shops.
I am both shocked and disturbed that I share a board with such criminality types as this..
Shocking.

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:00 am

DCComic wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:56 am
They were body searching gold miners in the 1860s.. modern unionism put an end to that

Cameras and security guards looking over your shoulder on high loss risk jobs, like cleaning out pump sumps in the future, wouldn't be out of the question at all though

If it was the likes of madmonday as the security guard I'd at least jokingly ask if he wanted to go halves..

They, security, can look in your bag anytime you leave site as it is anyhow.

In some gold rich pits a digger or dump truck operator even getting out of their machine for a piss is an absolute no no..

I've heard tell of mine workers going down the pit haul roads after night fall, while everyone else is having a beer at the wet mess,when it's not a 24 hour night shift mine this is, with metal detectors after being tipped off by mine geologists that it was particularly rich ore being carted up that day, and finding some nice very gold rich specimens that literally fell off the back of a truck..

madmonday
Stew Ingredient

Post by madmonday » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:59 am

dBrother wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:00 am
DCComic wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:56 am
They were body searching gold miners in the 1860s.. modern unionism put an end to that

Cameras and security guards looking over your shoulder on high loss risk jobs, like cleaning out pump sumps in the future, wouldn't be out of the question at all though

If it was the likes of madmonday as the security guard I'd at least jokingly ask if he wanted to go halves..

They, security, can look in your bag anytime you leave site as it is anyhow.

In some gold rich pits a digger or dump truck operator even getting out of their machine for a piss is an absolute no no..

I've heard tell of mine workers going down the pit haul roads after night fall, while everyone else is having a beer at the wet mess,when it's not a 24 hour night shift mine this is, with metal detectors after being tipped off by mine geologists that it was particularly rich ore being carted up that day, and finding some nice very gold rich specimens that literally fell off the back of a truck..
So when the Dunolly ditch diggers put in a new shit line is it theft to go and work the dirt they dug up? (true story)
Supporter and former member of door kickers Australia

rezuar
Stew Ingredient

Post by rezuar » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:06 pm

madmonday wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:22 pm
rezuar wrote:
I stole five sheets of photocopy paper from my employer yesterday. Also, I used the printer for private stuff on those five sheets.
Criminal...
Forget it, mm. I’m NOT letting you handcuff me.
Keep an open mind but not so open your brain falls out.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:24 pm

Sorry whole bunch of splainin' to do.

Let me start. Now even though CT is too mentally stunted to learn how to count I was a bartender 30 years ago when some of today's technology wasn't in use (did I use small enuf words CT?)
So I shall start:

The designated driver scam is simple....our pop/soda was dispensed via a system similar to self serve systems that now proliferate all over N. A.
We were suppossed to give free soda to anyone who claimed to be the DD. We also mixed some of our mixed drinks (back bar pours) from the same machine.
Thus (if you had time or remembered) you would ring in a DD pour, even if it wasn't.
You charge the customer $3.00 for the soda and pocket the $3.00 + whatever tip they gave you.

Brunch scam....brunch was a buffet...so everyones order was almost identical. Unlike regular meal service where you rang in the food you wanted and a ticket was printed out in the kitchen, when you rang in a brunch it just went to the central accounting system.
So when most people were ordering 4 brunches and say 4 coffees, it's easy to double print a ticket, and just give it to another table. So lets say 4 brunches + cofffee was $20/person, you'd pocket $80.00
Do this twice on super busy brunch day (don't get me started on how much you can make on Mother's day) you are already $160 ahead.

Gun changes....this one you could only pull on super busy nights.
Now our guns had rail drinks + soda to dispense...which meters pours and does counts.
But on super busy nights the bottles that are hooked up to the guns run out, and sometimes it might take the back bar folks 15-30 minutes before they get new bottles.
So even if they ordered rail vodka we'd have to serve back bar vodka until they got new bottles of our rail vodka hooked up to the system.
So now we are free pouring instead of usuing the gun and when you free pour in a super busy bar, there is always "spillage" (product spills or you overfill your shot etc. etc) and it is very hard to verify.
So customer orders a Stoly on the rocks you pour him a Stoly on the rocks...charge him the $7.00 and pocket it because it is just spillage.

Bring your own bottle (I didn't do this) - its exactly what it seems like. Only can do on super busy nights. You bring your own bottle, and pour from it. All profits go into your pocket. You can only do this is a busy nightclub type place. Where I worked we had 5 bars and on busy nights 12-15 bartenders...its nothing but churning and burning.

So why doesn't this happen as much any more...simple video surveillance....there are camera's (like in Vegas) on the bar staff....I however was a bartender in the 80's when such things were in it's infancy.
Hopefully that explains everything.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:01 pm

matt_melb wrote: So you've only lost 10c, not $4.
Depends on the circumstances. If Guy goes into Chez Iolar intending to buy a $4 soda, sees that his old pal Clive is working the soda gun, and so gets a freebie, then Iolar is out $4 (gross).

Thanks, Homer.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:34 pm

No problem Vinny. All this info (except the brunch scam) was passed on to me by other members of staff, and we were expected to pass it on to new hires.
My buddy Brian and I came up with the brunch scam (no one could figure out why we were taking the brunch shifts -you'd work until 3:30 am on Sat. nite and have to be at work for 9:00 am on Sunday morning) - your body can take this kind of abuse when you are 20.
We pulled this off from May to Aug. before some of our coworkers finally wised up.
The reason we didn't tell our coworkers was because it would instantly suspicious that all of a sudden people were volunteering what was considered the worst shift you could get.
Once they figured it out we sort of lotteried off who got the shifts.
I'm sure other employees had their own little scams they kept to themselves.
I know one guy was paying off the kitchen staff to put out non ticketed orders like french fries which were impossible to monitor, and several were bringing in their own bottles as I mentioned before.

Just in case you are wondering this place I worked at has been popular since the 1920's and is still thriving today, so I'm guessing "loss prevention" is just a part of their regular budgeting.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

madmonday
Stew Ingredient

Post by madmonday » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:30 pm

rezuar wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:06 pm
madmonday wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:22 pm
rezuar wrote:
Criminal...
Forget it, mm. I’m NOT letting you handcuff me.
You are twenty years outside the age range now.....pity, you had promise.
Supporter and former member of door kickers Australia

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:26 pm

A smart bar owner/manager gives his bartenders comp tabs, not to exceed a certain percentage of sales or dollar amount. Bartenders are going to give away drinks. You can fire them for doing so, then you'll need to train in another bartender who's going to give away drinks. It's stupid business sense to deny the inevitable when you can at least keep track of inventory. You comp drinks for Hot Women (unless in a gay bar) and Ballers (who don't need the free drinks, but tend to like the gesture, and bring Hot Women), and you don't comp more than one. You don't comp drinks for your friends who come around expecting free drinks.
I am Stalking you.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:31 pm

Somehow pubs and bars here seem to be able to make a profit without having to bribe people to get them in the door.
Pass the wine...

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:40 pm

There was a Minneapolis bar where I hung out in the early aughts. The place was a complete shambles, with rampant employee theft. I bartended at a sushi place at the time, which closed early and had high tickets, so was an ideal bartending gig. On the way home, I'd stop there. Staff gave away unconscionable amounts of booze. I'd order a set of Jameson and a draft beer midnightish, and get a lowball full of whiskey. They would very rarely present me a bill. I'd throw the bartender $20, which she'd pocket obviously.

They overserved me so egregiously and so often than I wound up 86ed for a while. Bartender kept refilling my lowball without request from me one night, and I became disoriented while trying to figure out how to urinate. The bar toilet was locked, so I went to the restaurant side next door, which was closed. Walked into the men's room, there was a male couple fucking doggy over the sink. (This was in the gayborhood.) I decided to allow them privacy, got distracted, walked into women's room, was confused by lack of urinals. The sink kind of looked like one. Midstream, a woman opened the door, took a look at me, and shrieked. What's wrong with her, I thought, returning to the bar. About thirty second later, the bouncer grabbed me by the collar, and told me I was done there. I asked what the problem was. He called me a fucking pervert, and said his girlfriend had walked in on me jacking off in the women's room. The fuck?? I was pissing! Even in that state, I knew there was no way to recover from this one, so I left in great Ignominy. A couple of months later, they invited me back.
I am Stalking you.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:42 pm

leela wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:31 pm
Somehow pubs and bars here seem to be able to make a profit without having to bribe people to get them in the door.
Puhleeze. In Unicorn Engleland, bars figure out how to make a profit without advertising, or serving intoxicating beverages! What a lovely world. I'm Appalled and Aghast at stories to the contrary are permitted to be aired.
I am Stalking you.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:48 pm

I have to agree with Monkeyman.

Otherwise it wouldn't explain karaoke night, quiz night, darts night, throw a dwarf night...

Pubs are closing here all the time.

And ir's In-ger-land

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:54 pm

Also pommie-ville has binge drinking as an art form.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:56 pm

Civilians really have no idea about operation of bars and restaurants. Yeah, you have to bribe people to patronize your place with attractive options.

I love the industry, but, you know, Lifestyle. It takes a toll. You don't see many fortysomething bartenders in desirable bars. When you do, they look like they're 60.
I am Stalking you.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:01 pm

Homerj wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:54 pm
Chain pubs, which I detest.

Old man pubs, which have been in the same buildings for centuries, are dying out.

Its a long term decline,obviously.

But by the 29th century they will have all died out.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:06 pm

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:01 pm
Homerj wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:54 pm
Chain pubs, which I detest.

Old man pubs, which have been in the same buildings for centuries, are dying out.

Its a long term decline,obviously.

But by the 29th century they will have all died out.
Hah! When I was working in Brussels, we hung out at an old-man bar across from Monnaie. It was approximately the unhippest bar ever, just like Brussels. Really welcoming, and there was a bar cat that would sit on the bar and head-butt me.
I am Stalking you.

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:41 am

If the threads gunna be thread jacked anyway, can we get back to EE girls and their predilection for hand cuffs?

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:50 am

Homerj wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:24 pm

Let me start. Now even though CT is too mentally stunted to learn how to count I was a bartender 30 years ago when some of today's technology wasn't in use (did I use small enuf words CT?)
So I shall start:

The designated driver scam is simple....our pop/soda was dispensed via a system similar to self serve systems that now proliferate all over N. A.
We were suppossed to give free soda to anyone who claimed to be the DD. We also mixed some of our mixed drinks (back bar pours) from the same machine.
Thus (if you had time or remembered) you would ring in a DD pour, even if it wasn't.
You charge the customer $3.00 for the soda and pocket the $3.00 + whatever tip they gave you.

Brunch scam....brunch was a buffet...so everyones order was almost identical. Unlike regular meal service where you rang in the food you wanted and a ticket was printed out in the kitchen, when you rang in a brunch it just went to the central accounting system.
So when most people were ordering 4 brunches and say 4 coffees, it's easy to double print a ticket, and just give it to another table. So lets say 4 brunches + cofffee was $20/person, you'd pocket $80.00
Do this twice on super busy brunch day (don't get me started on how much you can make on Mother's day) you are already $160 ahead.

Now our guns had rail drinks + soda to dispense...which meters pours and does counts.
But on super busy nights the bottles that are hooked up to the guns run out, and sometimes it might take the back bar folks 15-30 minutes before they get new bottles.
So even if they ordered rail vodka we'd have to serve back bar vodka until they got new bottles of our rail vodka hooked up to the system.
So now we are free pouring instead of usuing the gun and when you free pour in a super busy bar, there is always "spillage" (product spills or you overfill your shot etc. etc) and it is very hard to verify.
So customer orders a Stoly on the rocks you pour him a Stoly on the rocks...charge him the $7.00 and pocket it because it is just spillage.

Bring your own bottle (I didn't do this) - its exactly what it seems like. Only can do on super busy nights. You bring your own bottle, and pour from it. All profits go into your pocket. You can only do this is a busy nightclub type place. Where I worked we had 5 bars and on busy nights 12-15 bartenders...its nothing but churning and burning.

So why doesn't this happen as much any more...simple video surveillance....there are camera's (like in Vegas) on the bar staff....I however was a bartender in the 80's when such things were in it's infancy.
Why not just verbally Charge Them $X Not Ring It Up Give The Correct Change And Pocket billable Amount. Much Easier. So Ive Heard. Just Be Carefule You Palm Cash And Pocket It away From Cameras.
Anyone can go by horse or rail, but the absolute best way to travel is by hat.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:08 pm

mad hatter wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:50 am
Homerj wrote:

So I shall start:

Why not just verbally Charge Them $X Not Ring It Up Give The Correct Change And Pocket billable Amount. Much Easier. So Ive Heard. Just Be Carefule You Palm Cash And Pocket It away From Cameras.
Because the bar does counts. They know how many average pours you get out of a back bar bottle. If that count is too far off they get suspicious.
Your way would be too easy to get caught.
We did do that with soda/pop though.

cowtown
Stew Ingredient

Post by cowtown » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:10 pm

I started working in restaurants in high school so about 30 years ago too and have not worked in one since maybe 92 so I guess Canada is really fucking backward
The places I worked had automated systems; each waiter had a special key they placed in a key pad. You’d type in a code that corresponded with food or drink item, it would print the ticket at the machine then another ticket at the bar, kitchen or both depending. Nothing got made until it was rang and only a manger could void. And we always freed poured

Someday the dimwitted ice-licking hot doggist will learn his experience is not universal, or not
Jim-2012 wrote:I *heart* Hitler

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:21 pm

cowtown wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:10 pm
I started working in restaurants in high school so about 30 years ago too and have not worked in one since maybe 92 so I guess Canada is really fucking backward
The places I worked had automated systems; each waiter had a special key they placed in a key pad. You’d type in a code that corresponded with food or drink item, it would print the ticket at the machine then another ticket at the bar, kitchen or both depending. Nothing got made until it was rang and only a manger could void. And we always freed poured

Someday the dimwitted ice-licking hot doggist will learn his experience is not universal, or not
You pour little delicate flower, is my much better experience in pretty much every aspect of life that much of a downer for you?
Maybe I will just quit posting for a few days so you can rebuild that fragile little ego of yours.
I guess the high school beatings and taunts really did impact you to this day.
Well we can't all be me, and the sooner you can come to terms with that the sooner you can accept that maybe there are some minor straws about your existence you can grasp at to make yourself feel better.
Because I am the bigger person i can do that if u think it will help?

Of course it isn't universal you band boy 'tard...that's why I had to explain it...

cowtown
Stew Ingredient

Post by cowtown » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:49 pm

the stupid hurts

But please, keep bragging about what a backwards ass loser you are from Nowheresville while displaying your appallingly, ugly, primitivism

I know it kills you that you can’t key my cat as a vengeful reprisal for your humiliation, little fat man
Jim-2012 wrote:I *heart* Hitler

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:20 am

Homerj wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:08 pm
mad hatter wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:50 am
Homerj wrote:

So I shall start:

Because the bar does counts. They know how many average pours you get out of a back bar bottle. If that count is too far off they get suspicious.
Your way would be too easy to get caught.
We did do that with soda/pop though.
isnt it the same effect on stock levels only your way the till doesnt balance?
Anyone can go by horse or rail, but the absolute best way to travel is by hat.

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:30 am

At Coles Richmond(supermarket) we, teenage casual store attendants, used to just put a cartoon, or two , depending how many of us were splitting it, of beer from the stockroom into a rubbish bag and into the dump master out the back of the store to be retrieved it after closing on a Saturday afternoon.
Criminal masterminds we were.
If madmonday was security there we would have had to give him half...

shilgia
Stew Ingredient

Post by shilgia » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:24 am

When I was in high school I worked at a supermarket - a small branch of a big chain. One day the chain's own detective squad came in and picked up one of my co-workers. Turned out he had been stealing from the cash register. Oddly they did not turn him over to the police; they just transferred him to a different location.

In hindsight it was clear that they had been onto something for a while. There were four cash registers and previously working the cash registers was a freewheeling affair - you'd just sign into and use whichever one you wanted. Every week, cash differentials (the difference between what should be in the register and what actually was) were were posted on the board in the break room for each of the four registers. First there were warnings to be more careful, because the differentials had been increasing. Then, they stopped posting them. Then, a new policy was put in place where every week everyone got assigned to a specific cash register. They must have done some combinatorics by varying these assignments from week to week, because when the detectives walked into the store, they knew who had done it, without having interviewed a single person.

I never gave a second thought to any of these shifting policies while they were happening, but in hindsight I can't understand how the thief didn't figure out that they were trying to smoke him out.

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:35 am

At Coles, in Richmond, the checkout chicks, as they were called, would fleece the employer by letting their familys come through with a full trolley, well over $100 worth, and ring up only about $25 on the till.
It was a known scam and the boss checkout chick was on to the ones doing it, but was hard to catch in the act as various members of the families of various checkout chicks were hard to readily identify before they got to the random checkout, which happened to be their neice..
This was before they were using barcode scanners, when everything was price labeled and prices entered by hand at the checkout. So easy to enter .25 instead of 2.50.

It's a wonder GJ Coles are still in business the way us staff used to rip them off..

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:55 am

Seems weird that they only transferred him, shilgia. Was there a strong union?

shilgia
Stew Ingredient

Post by shilgia » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:01 am

I don't think so. I have no idea. Something about the publicity or something, I don't know.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:15 am

The Frenchman who had the best poultry stand in the Eastern Market in DC in the 60s and 70s had a much younger local man working for him who he was expecting to take over the stand when he retired, I suppose paying the Frenchman a share of the profits until the buyout was complete. The Frenchman learned he was stealing from him. It really broke his heart.

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:23 am

I just remembered that when I worked at a department store, one of the security officers and his wife (who worked in the clothing department, I htink) got caught stealing. He was the one supposed to be policing the rest of the staff!
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

bundes
Stew Ingredient

Post by bundes » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:26 am

strife wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:26 pm
A smart bar owner/manager gives his bartenders comp tabs, not to exceed a certain percentage of sales or dollar amount. Bartenders are going to give away drinks. You can fire them for doing so, then you'll need to train in another bartender who's going to give away drinks. It's stupid business sense to deny the inevitable when you can at least keep track of inventory. You comp drinks for Hot Women (unless in a gay bar) and Ballers (who don't need the free drinks, but tend to like the gesture, and bring Hot Women), and you don't comp more than one. You don't comp drinks for your friends who come around expecting free drinks.
One of the pubs I go to regualurly does this. Each bartender has a promo tab per shift.

I get at least a free pint each time I go. Usually a few.

It's a nice gesture of hospitality.