Stealing off your employer..

The Richard Allan Bodine Lounge... have a drink and talk about whatever you'd like

Moderator: Moderator

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Stealing off your employer..

Post by dBrother » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:42 am

during routine maintenance on a pump, four kilos of gold (AU$200.000) fell out of the sump, naturally the pump sump cleaner kept the gold, like pretty much anyone in their right mind would, anglo ashanti , the employer, didn't have a clue the gold was there, or even in existence, so it was as close to a victim-less crime as you can get, like if the victim doesn't know they're a victim, and the victim is a multinational planet rapist anyhow, I'll just go ahead and call it a victimless crime..

but the pump sump cleaner got done disposing of said gold, I mean all he had to do was take a month off work , go gold prospecting, come back, and say he found it, but no, idiot got done, couldn't explain it and told the truth?

anyhow, the main question running through my mind is how much gold has been pocketed by other routine maintenance crews around the world in onsite gold refinerys, every mis sized gold mine has one, they're either trucking the ore somewhere or processing it onsite, and like at 50K a kilo, and with multiple kilos just collecting up in pump sumps waiting to be cleaned out during routine shut down maintainence, there must be a few quite well off pump sump cleaners out there, yeah??

I'm betting they've just been , wisely, keeping quiet about this little job perk all this time..

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-13/k ... ce/9424506

A Kalgoorlie man who stole more than $200,000 worth of gold from a mine in Western Australia's northern Goldfields has avoided an immediate jail term.

Joseph Andrew Cresp, 52, was working at the Sunrise Dam Gold Mine, 1,000 kilometres north-east of Perth, when he stole the gold in February last year.

The Court was told Cresp had been working on a pump at the mine's mill during a routine shutdown when a pile of dirt containing nearly four kilograms of gold fell out of one of the sumps
Prosecutor Fiona Clare said Cresp hid the gold in his locker, walking out of the mine with it, driving home to Kalgoorlie and hiding it in his gun safe.

"He saw the gold sitting there and wanted to surprise his wife for her birthday," Ms Clare said.

She said Cresp had envisioned using the gold to fund a family holiday to Greece.

Charged with fraud and stealing as a servant, Cresp pleaded guilty to both offences midway through last year.

But a combination of trying personal circumstances and an extraordinary degree of co-operation saw him granted a two-year suspended sentence by the District Court on Monday.

Blundered attempt at sale alerted police
Detectives from the WA Police Gold Stealing Detection Unit (GSDU) swooped on Cresp in June last year after he on-sold $90,000 of the stolen gold in Perth.

Ms Clare said Cresp approached a gold trader in Perth's eastern suburbs, offloading a kilogram of the precious metal.

But when the trader attempted to sell it to the Perth Mint and could not provide its origin, Mint staff alerted police.

Describing her client's actions as a "brain explosion", defence lawyer Kim Samiotis said Cresp had been dealing with financial stress, undiagnosed depression and a sick daughter in the lead up to the theft.

She said Cresp spent only $6,000 of his $90,000 windfall on a holiday, servicing his car and financial support for his eldest daughter.

"The [remaining] gold remained in his safe, untouched," she said.

Ms Samiotis said her client always intended to return the gold and money, co-operating fully with GSDU detectives when they raided his home in May.

While the Court was told Cresp immediately regretted stealing the gold, he still attempted to fraudulently sell it.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Re: Stealing off your employer..

Post by GLimpet » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:20 am

It's not victimless.
If a mining company tolerates theft of $200,000 it will end up with large scale endemic theft, thus destroying actual people's jobs and future investment,b which is millions upfront for years before you even get a penny back.

Better to steal from a small scale individual admitted planet rapist. At least you're only destroying one person's income.

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:16 am

Rubbish, they didn't even know it was ever missing.. bet they never paid tax here either, and with most gold miners the shareholders will be lucky to ever see a cent in dividends, abd god help the royalty holders..

Plus it's incomparable the amount of environmental destruction and desecration of the landscape gold mines do just for a few dozen kilos of gold..
Not just the huge holes left in the ground sucking out grounds water for millions of acres around, but the poisonous chemical laden tailings dams left behind forever.
all for what? A shoe box size bit of gold that'll just get buried again in a vault somewhere, Theresa nothing so pointlessly destructive as an industrial scale open pit gold mine.
Please don't compare this to metal detecting prospecting where an unobtrusive hole is dug , gold removed, and hole fillled in with no use of toxic chemicals..
Gram for gram the environmental cost to the earth caused by line prospectors is negligible compared to big gold mines that move all that dirt for 3 parts per million of gold.
The world, the living planet earth, and future generations, would be far better off if these massive open cut gold mines never even existed.
As I say , it's a pointless endeavour when 95% of the stuff is just buried again anyhow, after all the effort to dig it up.

madmonday
Stew Ingredient

Post by madmonday » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:31 am

Theft is theft....
Supporter and former member of door kickers Australia

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:48 am

Property is theft

madmonday
Stew Ingredient

Post by madmonday » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:55 am

What do you think the gold is? It cannot be justified in anyway shape or form. Unless they owed you a few hundred grand in unpaid OT

Flobster!
Stew Ingredient

Post by Flobster! » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:00 am

We'd need to know what normally would have happened to it. Maybe every sump pump cleaner there ever was has been taking it, maybe it normally just goes down the drain.

If it DOES normally go down the drain there must be good panning around there.
The pies and sausage rolls are good in Australia - Iolar

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:10 am

Flobster! wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:00 am
We'd need to know what normally would have happened to it. Maybe every sump pump cleaner there ever was has been taking it, maybe it normally just goes down the drain.

If it DOES normally go down the drain there must be good panning around there.
19 years ago I was prospecting on an abandoned mine site in the kimberly that had an old care taker looking after the processing plant while it was waiting to be decommissioned*.
later, as they were wrecking it, I heard mention that there was one particular piece of equipment within the plant under which the old caretaker was mighty interested in having a close look at when they got around to dismantling it , as apparently it was a common piece of gold processing plant where rough gold was known to spill out and accumulate over the life of the plant.
Way I understood it was something commonly overlooked by mining plant engineers.
Golds gold, it's heavy, if it went down the drain it's guaranteed to be all collected up some where, well worth finding if it's by the kilo

* in this case decommissioned meant being dragged by a bull dozer over to the nearby pit and pushed in, it was isolated place and at US$250 an ounce there was no 2nd hand market for gold processing plants within any reasonable heavy haulage distance, so to comply with government clean up rules they literally chucked the lot down the pit, scrap metal wasn't with what it is today either, half a decade later, when the gold price had gone up, there were half a dozen new gold mines in the area that could have done with the entire processing plant..
Last edited by dBrother on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flobster!
Stew Ingredient

Post by Flobster! » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:15 am

Yep.
The pies and sausage rolls are good in Australia - Iolar

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:22 am

She said Cresp had envisioned using the gold to fund a family holiday to Greece.
That'd be one hell of a holiday.

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:32 am

It’s pretty obvious that any gold found in a gold mine would the property of the owner of the mine. I’m sure that gold has been found in the pumps in mines in the past.
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:33 pm

Anglo is owned by thousands of investors including pension plans of average workers. That's who they stole from.

rezuar
Stew Ingredient

Post by rezuar » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:41 pm

I stole five sheets of photocopy paper from my employer yesterday. Also, I used the printer for private stuff on those five sheets.
To my defense...the prints were black&white.
Keep an open mind but not so open your brain falls out.

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:47 pm

coffeeguy wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:33 pm
Anglo is owned by thousands of investors including pension plans of average workers. That's who they stole from.
they choose to invest in an environmentally destructive business, this is their karma man..

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:18 pm

So because the business is bad for the environment (which I agree with) it is ok to steal from them? Somehow that is going to make them less bad for the environment?
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:41 pm

dBrother wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:47 pm
coffeeguy wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:33 pm
they choose to invest in an environmentally destructive business, this is their karma man..
Says a dude that drives a car for a living. What business is not 'environmentally destructive'? Responsible mining is no worse than others.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:35 pm

rezuar wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:41 pm
I stole five sheets of photocopy paper from my employer yesterday. Also, I used the printer for private stuff on those five sheets.
That's about my level of stealing. Though I used to take a couple of little plastic zip wallets to use for my travel documents whenever I went on a trip. They were super useful, just the right size, and in my defence, can't be bought in shops.
Pass the wine...

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:20 pm

leela wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:35 pm
rezuar wrote:
That's about my level of stealing. Though I used to take a couple of little plastic zip wallets to use for my travel documents whenever I went on a trip. They were super useful, just the right size, and in my defence, can't be bought in shops.
Yeah, printing out shit is as far as I’ve gone. Though counting shit I just couldn’t be bothered to do reimbursement forms on, it was probably a net loss of about $500/year.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:20 pm

What would ^ Dave think?

Being from Victoria (and obvious all-round national crim psyche), I think dBrother's natural leaning is towards a bit of petty larceny as being 'fair dinkum'.

I have sympathy towards his views towards Gold. I would have similar feelings if an African mining company had some of its diamonds pilfered by its workers.

But...

Gold is gold because it is gold. If we all stopped seeing it as gold, it would stop being gold. But, as it is it is gold for a reason. Thus it is important to all of us and very precious.

Between 1999-02, our Chancellor (Gordon 'one eye' Brown) made the decision to sell off half the UK's gold deposits - see price rise thereafter.

That would have come in useful in the 2008 crash (when you were then PM)

Thanks Gordon.

Vodd
Stew Ingredient

Post by Vodd » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:43 pm

How is his one eye relevant?
They tire of quiet, that have known the storm.

cowtown
Stew Ingredient

Post by cowtown » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:44 pm

your best employee is the one that steals the least
Jim-2012 wrote:I *heart* Hitler

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:03 pm

When I was a bartender I don't think I knew of one member of the wait staff who didn't steal....I think it was costed into the bottom line.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:05 pm

cowtown wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:44 pm
your best employee is the one that steals the least
I thought it was the margin between the revenue they generated, minus the fraud they have committed.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:07 pm

The most impressive employee stealing moment I saw was a car wash attendant who told the manager the car wash wasn't working properly and then proceeded to hold the wand back (that counted the cars) and pocketed all the cash made at the car wash that day. Ballsy.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:13 pm

Homerj wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:03 pm
When I was a bartender I don't think I knew of one member of the wait staff who didn't steal....I think it was costed into the bottom line.
When I managed a bar, I budgeted for employee theft.
I don't want no Commies in my car. No Christians, either.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:27 pm

strife wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:13 pm
Homerj wrote:
I can't imagine any bar/resto that doesn't.
We were a popular resto, but a more popular night club that would be packed on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, and had a kick ass brunch crowd on Sundays.
When you are churning and burning drinks out at a bar that is 4 people deep it's pretty easy to pocket $.
Then there is the designated driver scam, using the same ticket on brunch order scam, then you get kick backs from the liquor reps if you can increase sales of their bottles.
Some bartenders would pour from their own bottles but I never went that far.
I'd say 25% of our income came in this fashion.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:31 pm

I guess that's what happens when you don't pay your staff decent wages.

They have to rely on petty larceny an the generosity of patrons.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:46 pm

No, I made good money in tips James....but I'm hardly going to leave $ on the table when it's there for the taking.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:46 pm

When I was a bartender I think my wage was $4.40/hr.
It was such a joke.

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:08 pm

Homerj wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:27 pm
strife wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:13 pm
Homerj wrote:
I can't imagine any bar/resto that doesn't.
We were a popular resto, but a more popular night club that would be packed on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, and had a kick ass brunch crowd on Sundays.
When you are churning and burning drinks out at a bar that is 4 people deep it's pretty easy to pocket $.
Then there is the designated driver scam, using the same ticket on brunch order scam, then you get kick backs from the liquor reps if you can increase sales of their bottles.
Some bartenders would pour from their own bottles but I never went that far.
I'd say 25% of our income came in this fashion.
I worked in small, family run hotels with restaurants and bars, and there was no employee theft as a general rule. They certainly didn't budget for it. The system was set up so that it would be fairly difficult to steal anyway. In general, when people got food or drinks they expected to get a small receipt for it and they'd only pay what was on the receipt. I suppose if you had foreigners who didn't know the system you might have been able to get around it, but we didn't have a lot of foreign guests (or if they were staying at the hotel, they charged everything to the room so there was no way to pocket it.)

The first place I worked, you had to ring food through the till and then send the printed ticket to the kitchen for it to be made - no way around it. Maybe if you saved the tickets from previous orders, but they always tore them before sending them back with the food so it would have been obvious. And the owner was in the kitchen most of the time so he'd have seen the torn tickets and been suspicious.

The second place I worked, the bosses did figure out at one time that someone was probably stealing from them because suddenly there were a bunch of returns being put through the till. The guy was putting everything through the till, then returning stuff (as though he'd made a mistake). He wasn't smart enough to do it well, though, so yeah, he got caught.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:12 pm

Homerj wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:46 pm
No, I made good money in tips James
That's what I meant by "generosity of patrons"

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:16 pm

homer, what is the designated driver scam? And the using the same ticket on bruch order scam?

madmonday
Stew Ingredient

Post by madmonday » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:22 pm

rezuar wrote:
Criminal...

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:23 pm

The Filth is here.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:24 pm

There are myriad ways to rip off a restaurant employer. Most aren't as brazen as my old roommate, who specially ordered a book of All Days to submit orders to the kitchen. Usually it's giving freebies like gun-sodas to friends.
I don't want no Commies in my car. No Christians, either.

madmonday
Stew Ingredient

Post by madmonday » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:30 pm

Urban myth or not my favourite story was the British guy who set up a parking area on council land and over a period of ten plus years pocketed the money, retired and went to Spain.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:44 pm

my old roommate, who specially ordered a book of All Days to submit orders to the kitchen.
What does that mean?

And what is a gun-soda? A soda made with a soda gun?

meat
Stew Ingredient

Post by meat » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:46 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:44 pm
my old roommate, who specially ordered a book of All Days to submit orders to the kitchen.
What does that mean?

And what is a gun-soda? A soda made with a soda gun?
Use the fucking Googlings, you tedious bore.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:53 pm

Didn't help me with gun soda. Didn't know how to google what your roommate did. What does it mean, does anyone know?

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:55 pm

No, not having any luck with googling Book of All Days either within quotes or not.

Does anyone know what strife was talking about?

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:57 pm

Fuck off Vinny

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:00 pm

Vinny - my guess is that their restaurant wrote orders on some kind of carbon copy order booklets, and send the top copy to the kitchen. The roommate bought an identical booklet so that he didn't have to record what he got out of the kitchen on the restaurant's official one.

cowtown
Stew Ingredient

Post by cowtown » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:00 pm

In nicer restaurants, the systems in place made it very difficult to steal as you had to put an order in to get the kitchen or the bar to make it

there were ways though but it usually wasn't worth it at least where I worked

nothing like homer claims but then again, it's homer
Jim-2012 wrote:I *heart* Hitler

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:05 pm

When I was in high school there was this gay teen predator guy who was a manager of a Whataburger and would swipe his manager card to give free orders to all the boys from the local high school and then try to get their phone numbers.

I used to make my friend go get us free food all the time.

k2w3
Stew Ingredient

Post by k2w3 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:10 pm

Shouldn't it be "Stealing FROM your employer".
NA: "You just have to search out the weirdos who are weird in a way that seems perfectly normal to you."

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:17 pm

In Ebonics to "steal off" on someone is to punch them without warning.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:26 pm

Thank you, Scrubb. That makes sense. Maybe All Day is the name of the manufacturer of the pads, although Book of All Days would be an odd phrasing.

Any guesses as to a gun-soda? I guess it might be a typo for gin-soda, but that is not a very common drink.

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:33 pm

Soda gun =

He just means giving them free sodas from the soda gun. Unlike bottles/cans, they aren't counted.

matt_melb
Stew Ingredient

Post by matt_melb » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:40 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:26 pm
Any guesses as to a gun-soda? I guess it might be a typo for gin-soda, but that is not a very common drink.
Not that it matters, because who gives a fuck, it's clearly a free drink ... but I would guess coke, lemon squash or some other fizzy, produced from the system that links up kegs of gunky syrupy mix with a carbonation device, and delivers the resulting carbonated beverage from a single nozzle (or 'gun') on the end of a flexible hose, where the appropriate drink is selected by pressing one of the multiple buttons located on the nozzle.

You could find a picture by googling 'soda gun'.

I believe the ingredients in such a drink are worth about 10c, so if you're giving one to a mate who dropped into the bar to see you and wouldn't otherwise have been there buying a drink at full price, it's hardly theft on a grand scale.

ETA: damn, beaten by Scrubb!

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:47 pm

Vbot knows exactly what he meant.