Auto Insurance after an accident

The Richard Allan Bodine Lounge... have a drink and talk about whatever you'd like

Moderator: Moderator

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Auto Insurance after an accident

Post by 5waldos » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:19 pm

We were involved in an accident on NYE. The car was totaled and the other driver completely at fault. Our insurance company has paid for the car minus our $500 deductible which they say will be sent to us from the other insurance company and could take months.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? We were many years ago and the deductible was waived and we were paid directly, the insurance company was to be repaid whenever. Did you have to wait months for the deductible and other expenses (car rental)? Or is my insurance company being difficult.

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Re: Auto Insurance after an accident

Post by polardude1 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:50 pm

Unread post by 5waldos » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:19 pm

We were involved in an accident on NYE. The car was totaled and the other driver completely at fault. Our insurance company has paid for the car minus our $500 deductible which they say will be sent to us from the other insurance company and could take months.
I was involved in an accident where i was rear ended. It was not serious damage =e and it was the other drovers fault. I too her insurance informational and never provided mine. I submitted the claim to her insurance company and it was taken care of.
Ereich
DCComic was, of course, the one doing the chasing. He appears to have misquoted Polar in his autosignature, something he has trouble with.

DCComic
I'm a crazy racist cunt.

No quotation marks used

OnTheBall
Stew Ingredient

Post by OnTheBall » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:58 pm

I worked in insurance many years ago and this sounds very strange.

If you were deemed to be not at fault the deductible is irrelevant and you should get the full amount. It is your insurance company's job to get the amount from the other driver's company ASAP and pay you. I wasn't in claims but I doubt your insurance company would dip into its pocket and pay you an amount and seek the money afterwards. What should happen is as what you wrote on your second paragraph.

They're being pricks. Get on the phone and demand to talk to whoever is handling your claim (the person who should be chasing the other party's insurance company) or speak to their manager. These people are overworked and are usually handling a shitload of claims at any one time so they may need a bit of gentle prodding to put your case ahead of the queue.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:03 pm

Some horrible Tucson driver (redundant) scraped the side of my rental car backing out, and fled the scene. I don't have rental car insurance. I'm currently in the early stages of finding out if I am covered by my car insurance policy, or even my credit card before I return the rental car.

Has this happened to anybody else here?
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:27 pm

Ms. Wilster was rear ended last Halloween at low speed (in heavy traffic). The guy pulled over but didn't want to give any information on the side of the road. Ms. Wilster called me, I told her to call 911 which she was starting to do; the guy then gave her the information. So I start the claim process on line where that is our situation; the insurance company (ours, USAA) will pay the claim, less the deductible which they will go after the other insurance company to get.

Or, I could go directly to the other guy's insurance company (AAA) which was suggested on line as I was filling out a claim. So I canceled the claim with our insurance company and worked with AAA directly. They were very easy, professional to deal with. But the guy, and get this, the guy that hit Ms. Wilster denied he hit her! What a fuck-nut; yeah, pull over to engage Ms. Wilster on the side of the road, but you didn't hit her??? What an asshole. We got everything taken care of through AAA and didn't have to engage our insurance company at all; easy peasy.

LS, that's a drag; I would think you would be covered by YOUR insurance company and/or credit card company.
My moniker is Wilster. How is my posting? If you no like, write suggestions down intelligibly on paper and then...burn it.

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:42 pm

LS - here’s hoping that one of those will help.

OTB- I called and got a totally different story. Who knows at this point. But as an additional glitc- my insurance folks attached the accident to the wrong person. They have been wrong,slow, or incompetent every step of the way. And I cannot change companies until some of this is sorted.

shunter
Stew Ingredient

Post by shunter » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:55 pm

I know nothing about motor insurance but it’s common in other insurance for the insurer to pay a liability and then recover from another party. It’s called subrogation.
“Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does. It is up to you to give life a meaning.”

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:24 am

When the other party was at fault, I didn't have to pay anything out of pocket. The collision repair place was in direct, regular contact with my insurance company. Which company is this?

OnTheBall
Stew Ingredient

Post by OnTheBall » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:28 am

5waldos wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:42 pm
LS - here’s hoping that one of those will help.

OTB- I called and got a totally different story. Who knows at this point. But as an additional glitc- my insurance folks attached the accident to the wrong person. They have been wrong,slow, or incompetent every step of the way. And I cannot change companies until some of this is sorted.
Take a look at your Product Disclosure Statement, it may have some relevant info.

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:29 am

The Hartford from AARP. Will be changing as soon as this mess is sorted out.

And Shunter- yes that is a term that has been bandied about.

DianaHaddad
Stew Ingredient

Post by DianaHaddad » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:50 am

Just be glad you don't live in NJ, where your own insurance company pays for everything*, no matter whose fault it was. It causes all sorts of weird messes.
*And by this I mean "Your own insurance company would be the one to pay, if they decide to". The point is that it's not the other person's insurance, it's yours that does the paying. I made it look like they "pay for everything!" and that's so ooo oooo ooooo not the case.
"Suck it, Trebek."

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:54 am

DianaHaddad wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:50 am
Just be glad you don't live in NJ, where your own insurance company pays for everything, no matter whose fault it was. It causes all sorts of weird messes.
*giggle* Only reason I can imagine for being glad I don’t live in New Jersey!

No fault. That term sees to mean different things/ Colorado is also no fault but that isn’t the way it works out.

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:14 am

LS, if you booked the car with a credit card that carries rental car insurance, you'll be fine. They pay up.

Also, if you have extra insurance to cover your deductible it likely covers whatever car you're driving, but of course that will vary from policy to policy.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

guruwil
vegemite flavored maple syrup

Post by guruwil » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:16 am

When I have been in this situation, unfortunately several times recently, I have not had to be out f pocket a cent, my insurance company has done all the work claiming from the other party. The last time the other party was uninsured and they still covered 100% even though they are going to have a bigger of a time collecting from him.
An it harm none, do what ye will

A duly ordained Minister of the Unversal Life Church call me Reverend.

We are all Atheists about most gods, some of us just go one god further.

judik wrote:Guruwil was right!!!!!!!!!!

jono_in_adelaide wrote:I think Guru is right on this one

aero
Stew Ingredient

Post by aero » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:56 am

Lost Soul wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:03 pm
Some horrible Tucson driver (redundant) scraped the side of my rental car backing out, and fled the scene. I don't have rental car insurance. I'm currently in the early stages of finding out if I am covered by my car insurance policy, or even my credit card before I return the rental car.

Has this happened to anybody else here?
Yes, except I was the one who scraped the car because I didn't see this white pole in a snowstorm.

I made a claim through my regular car insurance (agent was very helpful) and then recovered the deductible through the credit card company. According to my insurance agent, there is no point in trying to hide this because it will get back to your insurer eventually anyway. So just call your insurance and see what they say.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:24 am

Yeah. The credit card will cover 100% of it if it happens outside of the US, but are only secondary insurers inside the US. They will cover the deductible of my primary insurance once I send them the policy details.

That only leaves my primary insurer to jack my rates once I file a claim. I'm holding out hope that the car rental return guy won't notice it, but will return it three hours before my flight to deal with the bullshit.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

DianaHaddad
Stew Ingredient

Post by DianaHaddad » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:12 am

5waldos wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:54 am

*giggle* Only reason I can imagine for being glad I don’t live in New Jersey!
Ahahahahahaha!
"Suck it, Trebek."