New Airline Boarding Strategy

The Richard Allan Bodine Lounge... have a drink and talk about whatever you'd like

Moderator: Moderator

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

New Airline Boarding Strategy

Post by northern_goddess » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:46 pm

I just read that the dreaded United AIrlines is going to try out a new board strategy for select flights. It sounds interesting. After the muckity muck in Business Class Board, etc. they will then board seats by: first window seats, then middle seats and lastly aisle seats.
More efficient boarding: Following priority boarding groups, we’ll board customers sitting in window seats first and then middle and aisle seats.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Re: New Airline Boarding Strategy

Post by Klara » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:47 pm

That makes sense.

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:49 pm

hmmm. Oddly yeah. makes sense.

Still. I demand my overhead space goes with my seat. Not 10 isles down. Fix that problem first.
Taking advantage of what is not working to make changes in your life often leads to your greatest opportunities and accomplishments --GND

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:51 pm

gnd wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:49 pm
hmmm. Oddly yeah. makes sense.

Still. I demand my overhead space goes with my seat. Not 10 isles down. Fix that problem first.
Pick a window seat and you'll be fine.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:53 pm

How closely do people listen to those instructions out there in the civilized world?

Here the minute they say "attention passengers" everyone just charges up to the boarding gate.

They sometimes make a half assed attempt to actually let children and elderly on first, or board by section, but eventually they just give up and everyone boards at once.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:54 pm

You still have to board from back to front, something people will violate if they can get away with.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:57 pm

EMG, there are lines with a number that corresponds to the number on your plane ticket. If you are in the wrong line and try to go through you will be told/directed to the proper line. This isn't a great picture but they often look like this. So, to answer your question, even if you don't listen closely you will be directed to board appropriately and in the correct order.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:58 pm

eric84 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:54 pm
You still have to board from back to front, something people will violate if they can get away with.
No, that's what they are saying, they aren't assigning you your boarding order based on back to front, it's going to be based on window/middle/aisle seat.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:02 pm

Wow, I'd forgotten how orderly the world can be.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Don’t like it. I prefer aisle seats but last on tend to find the hand baggage slots full already.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:04 pm

EMG wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:02 pm
Wow, I'd forgotten how orderly the world can be.
Haha. I have to say that Aeromexico can get a plane loaded faster than any airline I've ever been on. They usually have lines 1-5 which I think helps but it still amazes me how quickly everyone is on, bags away and sitting buckled into their seats.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:11 pm

Flying back from Hong Kong last year, I went to the ticket counter for Cebu Pacific. They hadn't even put the little ropes out to direct passengers to the ticket counters. All the other airlines had neat and orderly lines. But not the Filipino budget airlines.
So it was just one massive mob of hundreds of people standing there trying to push/edge their way up to the two open counters. No sense of a line at all. After about 30 minutes the ex and I noticed a lady who appeared to be setting up at a new counter and we just walked up and smiled and stuck our passports on the counter.

I don't even know if she'd been planning to issue tickets, but she gave us ours, and by the time I turned around there were maybe 50 people mobbing up behind us.

Flying out of Manila can be even worse.

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:14 pm

I always just sit there and wait for the gate lice queue to die down then get in line at final final call.. when there's about 3 people left.
Would I get there any quicker by pointlessly standing in queue for a full 7 minutes?
No.
And I always sit in a window seat, so the fuck what if someone has to move to let me in.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:21 pm

northern_goddess wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:58 pm
eric84 wrote:
No, that's what they are saying, they aren't assigning you your boarding order based on back to front, it's going to be based on window/middle/aisle seat.
Then it won't be any faster if people are blocking the aisle putting their carryon in the compartment.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:09 pm

So, obviously, the aisle seat people won't be able to put their bags overhead.

It's dumb. A lot of people haven't paid attention to whether their seat is aisle/middle/aisle. They'll be crowding the gate yelling "where's 12D?!"

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:14 pm

Wont work.
Anyone with status will still board first as they want to make sure their is space in the overhead for their carry ons.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient

Post by ben_hanscombe » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:16 pm

No chance. You're going to ask every couple in the queue to queue separately from one another? Good luck. And that's assuming they make an accommodation for people with kids, because if they don't then they've whatever's even less chance than no chance.
Born a worm, spins a coccoon
Goes to sleep, wakes up a butterfly
What the fuck is that about?

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:18 pm

ben_hanscombe wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:16 pm
No chance. You're going to ask every couple in the queue to queue separately from one another? Good luck. And that's assuming they make an accommodation for people with kids, because if they don't then they've whatever's even less chance than no chance.
Exact.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:18 pm

And what about the Comfort Animals??!! Who will think of the Comfort Animals?

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:22 pm

lol Chip. comfort animals.
Homerj wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:14 pm
Wont work.
Anyone with status will still board first as they want to make sure their is space in the overhead for their carry ons.
Bullshite. I always liked boarding last whatever class. Tried walking around as long as possible. Hate sitting all that time. Especially when I had the kids with, I def boarded LAST. To let them walk around as much as poss before the flight abroad
Taking advantage of what is not working to make changes in your life often leads to your greatest opportunities and accomplishments --GND

Cyllarus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Cyllarus » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:22 pm

Just get a cane. In September we flew to California and then Vancouver Island and entitled to prioroty boarding as I was recovering from two hip surgeries. Mrs C loved the fact that we could board plane and ensure overhead space before most of the other passengers crammed on.

She semi-seriously suggested that I keep cane so that when we fly cattle class we can priority board. Shameless!

ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient

Post by ben_hanscombe » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:22 pm

Chip_Oatley wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:18 pm
And what about the Comfort Animals??!! Who will think of the Comfort Animals?
Good Point. I can't expect my Emotional Support Tarantula to stand (or, more accurately, lurk) in a separate line.

Cyllarus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Cyllarus » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:24 pm

Good Point. I can't expect my Emotional Support Tarantula to stand (or, more accurately, lurk) in a separate line.

Another advantage of the cane is use it to beat to death all annoying emtional support critters. And the owners come to think of it.

ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient

Post by ben_hanscombe » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:30 pm

DON'T YOU HURT BINKY SHE NEVER DID ANYTHING TO YOU APART FROM THAT ONE LITTLE TERRIFYING BITE

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:31 pm

gnd wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:22 pm
Homerj wrote:
Wont work.
Bullshite. I always liked boarding last whatever class. Tried walking around as long as possible. Hate sitting all that time. Especially when I had the kids with, I def boarded LAST. To let them walk around as much as poss before the flight abroad
What a completely stupid answer.
Taking meds?
I have status and one perq I want to use is boarding first, because I never check bags, as I don't want to have to if the overheads are full.
No one with status will give up this perq.
So you will have J boarding first, then status passengers next (me), who if flyertalk is to be believed overwhelming sit in aisles in they are flying cattle class, thus fucking up this entire boarding plan.
Hope that clarifies things for you.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:44 pm

Cyllarus wrote:
Just get a cane.
I laughed. My mother and I were traveling around Argentina together, and she walked with a can because she had arthritis. We were seated at the gate, and when they called our flight I told my mother to remain seated until others boarded. "Why?" she asked, leaning on her cane as she rose from her seat. A man rushing to board bumped against her, knocking her back onto the seat. "That's why," I said. I'd been to Argentina twice before, and I remembered the mad rush toward the plane when a flight was announced. The announcement was like the bell that caused Pavlov's dogs to salivate.
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

plumsole
Stew Ingredient

Post by plumsole » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:37 pm

dBrother wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:14 pm
I always just sit there and wait for the gate lice queue to die down then get in line at final final call.. when there's about 3 people left.
Would I get there any quicker by pointlessly standing in queue for a full 7 minutes?
No.
And I always sit in a window seat, so the fuck what if someone has to move to let me in.
I did this until it went terribly wrong once. It turned out the flight was "weight restricted" and the last 4 people were not allowed to board. The next available flight was the next day, and I was wearing the clothes I had fallen asleep in the night before (woke up late that morning). Now I line right up as soon as called.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:43 pm

I was subjected to a 6 hour flight in business class a while ago with 4 screaming toddlers... all in business class with me.

I realize this has nothing to do with boarding methods but I am still traumatized by it so felt the need to vent about it again.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:48 pm

eric84 wrote:
Unless you are special. And half the plane is special these days.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

cowtown
Stew Ingredient

Post by cowtown » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:01 pm

So this is what goes on in economy?

*shudders*
Jim-2012 wrote:I *heart* Hitler

shilgia
Stew Ingredient

Post by shilgia » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:33 pm

Good idea in theory; won't work in practice.

As Homer said, priority will still go first, and these days that can easily be half the plane.

Plus what Ben said. And the same thing x100 for parents traveling with children.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:34 pm

They should board by weight. Lightest first. Fatties last.
Anyone can go by horse or rail, but the absolute best way to travel is by hat.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:39 pm

They should make the kids and the women sit next to the fatties.

Unless the boarding agents start denying them access unless they buy two seats.

Barring that, they should board them first so you can bail if they stuck one next to you.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:43 pm

Lost Soul wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:39 pm
They should make the kids and the women sit next to the fatties.

Unless the boarding agents start denying them access unless they buy two seats.

Barring that, they should board them first so you can bail if they stuck one next to you.
They make good flotation devices if the plane goes down over water.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:53 pm

Just bring a crowbar so you can pry their asses out of the seat.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

guruwil
vegemite flavored maple syrup

Post by guruwil » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:32 pm

The wind to aisle strategy makes sense if they enforce it, but as others have said people will still take every opportunity to jump the queue for overhead locker space, particularly in the US where they have allowed the carry on bag size to get totally out of control, it’s just ridiculous. I can travel for a week with a bag half the size of the average US roll aboard bag.
An it harm none, do what ye will

We are all Atheists about most gods, some of us just go one god further.
judik wrote:Guruwil was right!!!
jono_in_adelaide wrote:I think Guru is right on this one
“shunter” wrote: I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Guru is bang on the money here.

Cyllarus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Cyllarus » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:25 pm

I can travel for a week with a bag half the size of the average US roll aboard bag.

Too true. In addition the asswipes with enormous rollie "carry ons" also have large backpack, computer bag and/or bushel basket sized purse (women and Quebec males). When travelling cattle class I like aisle seat and have to constantly duck and weave as the luggae jacka**es squeeze down aisle. Don't understand whuy domestyic US and Canada airlines don't crack down and charge for each item of carry on beyond one regulation size. Can only think that he time required to crack down at the gate and collect baggage fees is a loss to bottom line due to flight delay.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:32 pm

I agree asking families to split up is silly.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

k2w3
Stew Ingredient

Post by k2w3 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:48 pm

Homerj wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:31 pm
gnd wrote:
Homerj wrote:
Wont work.
What a completely stupid answer.
Taking meds?
I have status and one perq I want to use is boarding first, because I never check bags, as I don't want to have to if the overheads are full.
No one with status will give up this perq.
So you will have J boarding first, then status passengers next (me), who if flyertalk is to be believed overwhelming sit in aisles in they are flying cattle class, thus fucking up this entire boarding plan.
Hope that clarifies things for you.
Yep - it's a really REALLY stupid idea. I only travel UA as a 2nd-leg flight after a long haul on one international ticket. This, with my AirNZ status, gives me a prio-2 boarding currently AND an aisle seat. There is no fucking way I want to get on last and risk not getting overhead space. That would suck arse every time.

Also, my kids are older than the "travelling with young children" types that are allowed on first, but they are nervous kids, especially with flying, and splitting them to board I simply would not do. Especially if that meant me on first leaving them at the gate. Not a chance. I'd defer getting on and be with whoever was in the aisle seat, ie last to board.

It's really fucking stupid and not thought thru at all.
NA: "You just have to search out the weirdos who are weird in a way that seems perfectly normal to you."
EMG: "Ted would need a good waxing"
temporaryhandle2: "Why don't you fuck off too?"

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:57 pm

plumsole wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:37 pm
dBrother wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:14 pm
No.
I did this until it went terribly wrong once. It turned out the flight was "weight restricted" and the last 4 people were not allowed to board. The next available flight was the next day, and I was wearing the clothes I had fallen asleep in the night before (woke up late that morning). Now I line right up as soon as called.
hmmm, no good.

I got bumped once, well half the plane got bumped cos virgin only flew over a little plane instead of the big plane on the timetable, an extra day in perth when I only had 6 days off to begin with, never flew with them again.

cowtown
Stew Ingredient

Post by cowtown » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:29 pm

I never knew there was such competition for overhead space
In first class, you can bring on whatever and they make room, why when I bought out that nice mall in Bali during the 98 crash, it think I had like 5 massive bags.

They even hang up your jackets
Jim-2012 wrote:I *heart* Hitler

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:41 pm

cowtown wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:29 pm
I never knew there was such competition for overhead space
In first class, you can bring on whatever and they make room, why when I bought out that nice mall in Bali during the 98 crash, it think I had like 5 massive bags.

They even hang up your jackets
The FA once gave me someone else's jacket from the closet.
it was nicer than mine...before I even thought about keeping it she wised up.
So it might be better to fly with not so bright FA's.

matt_melb
Stew Ingredient

Post by matt_melb » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:24 pm

My carryon luggage is a backpack that can go under the seat.

I love watching people roam up and down the aisles looking for somewhere to put their ridiculously over-sized 'carry-ons', getting increasingly panicky as they can't find anywhere. And end up leaving them several rows away, and being last to get off as they can't move against the flow to get them down again.

I also love it when the airlines enforce carry-on restrictions on boarding, demanding outrageous sums from people who claimed to have 'no idea' that a 7kg weight limit didn't let you bring on one 12kg wheelie-bag plus a 7kg 'purse' the size of my backpack.

k2w3
Stew Ingredient

Post by k2w3 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:27 pm

It's frustrating when your carry on isn't an under-the-seat job, but still respects the size & weight limits, but you still can't find a space in the overhead when the Americans (and they are almost always Americans) have filled them up with their behemoth cases.
NA: "You just have to search out the weirdos who are weird in a way that seems perfectly normal to you."

shilgia
Stew Ingredient

Post by shilgia » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:41 pm

k2w3 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:27 pm
It's frustrating when your carry on isn't an under-the-seat job, but still respects the size & weight limits, but you still can't find a space in the overhead when the Americans (and they are almost always Americans) have filled them up with their behemoth cases.
So long as it's under the size limit, it pretty much doesn't matter how big a carry-on suitcase is. A typical overhead bin fits either two or three side by side. By having a slightly smaller one ("Look at me being a non-American! My carry-on-bag is only 85% of the size limit!") there isn't suddenly going to be space for an extra one.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:47 pm

Suddenly our budget airlines' strict rules about carry on luggage sound entirely reasonable. It's reached the point that most people on a ryanair/easyjet/wizzair flight have almost identical cases, of the exact maximum measurements allowed. I swear that on our last trip, 60% of the people on our flight had the exact same brand and model of case as my daughters and I each had. Fortunately they come in lots of different colours.
Pass the wine...

k2w3
Stew Ingredient

Post by k2w3 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:47 pm

Correct. Trouble is, it's often not under or even close to, the size limit.

guruwil
vegemite flavored maple syrup

Post by guruwil » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:24 am

shilgia wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:41 pm
k2w3 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:27 pm
So long as it's under the size limit, it pretty much doesn't matter how big a carry-on suitcase is. A typical overhead bin fits either two or three side by side. By having a slightly smaller one ("Look at me being a non-American! My carry-on-bag is only 85% of the size limit!") there isn't suddenly going to be space for an extra one.
Yes mostly wildly over size and weight limits and since there isn’t a bin for every 3 seats on most planes if everyone takes a huge bag then some miss out. And yes if only one takes a smaller on then it doesn’t solve the problem but if everyone does it means there is room for 4 or 5 bags instead of 3.
An it harm none, do what ye will

We are all Atheists about most gods, some of us just go one god further.
judik wrote:Guruwil was right!!!
jono_in_adelaide wrote:I think Guru is right on this one
“shunter” wrote: I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Guru is bang on the money here.

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:30 am

northern_goddess wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:46 pm
first window seats, then middle seats and lastly aisle seats.
studies show that boarding in this manner actually expedites boarding. like, who knew? but this is united we're talking about here. years ago (the 90s) united tried the same thing. iirc, the group numbers corresponded to windows or middles or aisles. that is how you boarded. if you were traveling with a buddy, then you were allowed to board with the person with the lower boarding group number. Note that UA has NOT NOT NOT stated (for this new boarding process) that pax traveling together can board together. those ua fuckers better speak up about this now and not piss off any more of their pax.

well, whaddya know, that boarding process (from the 90s) went the way of the dodo bird - like really fast. why? it just didn't work.

iirc lufthansa also back in the 90s also tried the same tactic. it also didn't work.

so when things didn't work in the past, what does ua do? let's do it again! and let's see it all NOT work all over again. yes, brilliant.

the current ua boarding process is a fucking train wreck. only on ua do you see pax line up in their group lines ONE HOUR before departure and many times even before the already late inbound flight has even taken off from its origin. also on ua, on most of my flights, over 50% of the flight is in group 1. now that is a big problem. ua needs to address this. like, immediately. there are a few quick and easy ways to fix this, but ua simply has not done anything. see - ua doesn't give a shit ... about anything. and have you ever noticed how LONG it takes ua to board an aircraft? fucking hell it is long.

now if we do a side by side comparison to delta... you will see that there are a lot LESS gate lice swarming at the boarding gate. delta has a good method of boarding. and fucking hell, delta can board a big 767 super fast. i am always amazed at this. why the fuck can't ua also board even a small shitty 737 as fast? it's just fucking unbelievable.
shilgia wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:33 pm
Good idea in theory; won't work in practice.
As Homer said, priority will still go first, and these days that can easily be half the plane.
yes, true. years ago i remember my flights from denver to sfo were all premier or higher members. the gate agent would say so and then say they would NOT be boarding by group numbers. they would then go old skool and board by rows. so, yes, there are flights where everyone is some sort of elite.
cowtown wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:01 pm
So this is what goes on in economy?
*shudders*
yes, sistah, that was my same reaction. do people really fly in economy?

here are some of the unwashed masses. they're the type that ua attracts.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:47 am

northern_goddess wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:43 pm
I was subjected to a 6 hour flight in business class a while ago with 4 screaming toddlers... all in business class with me.

I realize this has nothing to do with boarding methods but I am still traumatized by it so felt the need to vent about it again.