getting 4 molars yanked! OUCH and $$$$$

The Richard Allan Bodine Lounge... have a drink and talk about whatever you'd like

Moderator: Moderator

Kikilamour
Stew Ingredient

getting 4 molars yanked! OUCH and $$$$$

Post by Kikilamour » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:37 pm

i have a congenital deformity where i have no bone mass under my top back molars. over the past 10 years, i have had some abcess flare ups which are excruciating and have had to take antibiotics and pain meds to manage. i had 2 flare ups before and during my indonesian trip.

i just came back from the periodontist who informed me that the only way to cure this is to remove the teeth, do a bone graft, which takes 3 months to grow and then put in teeth implants. 5000$ per tooth, plus 2000 for the op and bone graft. waaaaaaah! I cried.

have you ever had molars yanked? you NEEED THEM TO EAT and I won't have them for 3 months. please , if you've had any experience in this , how did it go? did you manage to eat? how did you handle it? i'm scared. i hate dentist. it's torture. i'm a wuss.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Re: getting 4 molars yanked! OUCH and $$$$$

Post by EMG » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:47 pm

Holy crap. Any consideration on traveling somewhere else to have the implants done? I think they're like $400 a pop here.

I had one molar yanked. It was actually a baby tooth that never had a molar grow in and after a year or so of pain I just said fuck it, pull it. (I tried antibiotics and stuff, they didn't work or only did temporarily.) It wasn't fun but it wasn't the end of the world. 4 would've been a much bigger deal.

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:52 pm

I've had a molar yanked too. I didn't need all of them anyway.

Four is a different story, though. Ouch! Liquid food?

Kikilamour
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kikilamour » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:54 pm

hmmmm. you might be onto something there, emg. i should go to thailand!! FUCK YA. silver lining and all that.
wait. maybe i should get them yanked and have the bone mass built up here, THEN get the implants done in thailand .
THANKS EMG.

wait. so does anyone have a good periodontist to recommend in thailand?

Kikilamour
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kikilamour » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:55 pm

klara, i can't survive on liquid food for three months? that's bullshit! I'm really upset.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:56 pm

I did have all 4 wisdom teeth pulled at once, but since they're all on different sides, and way at the back, I was able to eat. Just needed a couple of days to recover.

That's what I was thinking, Kiki. Get the bone mass and wait your 3 months and then take a medical vacation. If you get prices quoted in Thailand I can find you some here in the PI too, in case there's a significant difference.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:58 pm

I have had two pulled, one replaced with an implant. It was a lot of money but not such a big deal otherwise.

Before I had the implant, I needed a balloon sinuplasty, because one of my sinuses was too close for the dental surgeon's comfort to where the tooth would be. That was kind of annoying — no swimming for a week — but it had the incidental effect of curing my chronic nasal congestion.

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:58 pm

I know Kiki, it sounds awful! I have no idea what else you can do if it takes that long. Have the left side done first, and then the right one?

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:59 pm

Do you have to decide everything now or can you go back and get the implants done later if you miss them?

I had five wisdom teeth pulled under a general and was at a party that night right as rain.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:03 pm

as a kid, it was popular among adults to have their teeth removed to be replaced with Perfect perfect perfect ones. I knew several adults/kids parents, teachers etc who´d done it.

Apparently it went fine. Lots of bloody empty mouths...a few done at a time or a quarter of a jaw done at time (ick!). Then their teeth were like Perfection. They all seemed pleased. (yeah, very costly, but yeah they were all thrilled with the end result).

I am not sure any of them *needed* it done, they wanted it done.

And

SEcond, Third Opinions:) *hate the dentist etc also*
Taking advantage of what is not working to make changes in your life often leads to your greatest opportunities and accomplishments --GND

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:06 pm

Kikilamour wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:55 pm
klara, i can't survive on liquid food for three months? that's bullshit! I'm really upset.

:) gaw hope you find a better option....sorry
Taking advantage of what is not working to make changes in your life often leads to your greatest opportunities and accomplishments --GND

Kikilamour
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kikilamour » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:09 pm

i had 4 wisdom teeth taken out at once when i was 16 so i know how that hurts, but molars are different. you NEED them to chew. fuck.
how did the implant go vinny? did it hurt? was it done under general anaesthesia? fuccccccck. my worst fears .

okay. i have to focus. i hope my periodontist will pass on my xrays etc.

Kikilamour
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kikilamour » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:11 pm

DCComic wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:59 pm
Do you have to decide everything now or can you go back and get the implants done later if you miss them?

I had five wisdom teeth pulled under a general and was at a party that night right as rain.
i have had infections twice in the past month, so i have to act now. the thing is, the more often i get infections, the more it affects neighbouring roots.
anything can spur off an infection: brushing teeth, tooth exam, gummy bears, popcorn, anything so... it's imperative i get it done soon. this has been simmering for 10 years. it's unusual condition. my periodontist, who's the best in toronto, says she's never seen a case like mine before. sigh.

Kikilamour
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kikilamour » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:12 pm

oh, and you need the implants. you can't chew food without back molars. you need the penultimate ones to chew and those are the ones that have no roots or significant bone loss.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:16 pm

For a while after having my molar out I only chewed on one side of my mouth. It was super annoying. Sometimes I'd forget and chew on the other side any anything crunchy would poke my sensitive, exposed gum.

Not fun.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:18 pm

https://uk.huel.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI ... gLa5_D_BwE

I have in implanted incisor. Costly but trouble free. A mouthful would buy a posh car.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

Barbarella
Stew Ingredient

Post by Barbarella » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:23 pm

Wowoooowww Kiks sorry to hear this, it sounds really horrendous. No effin way would I pay that though. Jaysus you could buy a friggin house for that!!!

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:49 pm

Barbarella wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:23 pm
Wowoooowww Kiks sorry to hear this, it sounds really horrendous. No effin way would I pay that though. Jaysus you could buy a friggin house for that!!!

that. except teeth are worth it!

Good you have such a qualified person then, it should go well:)

You can let Stewbies make your personal menu on the RootSauce. If you mash, say a cheeseburger with a fork (can that be eaten/swished around to taste, then swallowed)....so you kinda feel like you´re eating....

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:03 pm

Go to Mexico keeks.
US trained doctors ....top notch facilities...thats what everyone in Phoenix does.
Do your homework and fly into AZ, NM or TX and go to one of the border towns.
Send your X rays/scans ahead of time so you can get a quote.
then spend the next week or two in the lovely desert sun recovering.
My guess is the cost will be about 1/3.
Keep in mind this expense is tax deductible regardless of which country you have the proceedure done in.

Also you may want to have the vet offer to trade some services to dentists, or trade a free r/e listing and services for the job.
One of my best friends is an oral surgeon and she trades for other services all the time.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

eric84

Post by eric84 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:05 pm

I'd be hesitant to go and do serious dental work in a developing country. What kind of dental coverage do you have in Canada?
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:19 pm

Good luck, Chewy.

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:24 pm

Chewy. I immediately thought Chewbacca!,)

BC: StarWars Fan,)

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:27 pm

eric84 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:05 pm
I'd be hesitant to go and do serious dental work in a developing country. What kind of dental coverage do you have in Canada?
You really have no fucking clue what you are taking about do you?
Maybe if you left the confines of winterpeg more often you might now thew world has proggessed a wee bit.
My sister is a dentist, she was exceedingly impressed with both the qualifications and the facilities available in Sonoyta (where my parents and their friends go).
That is just one small border town...there are many.
My god you really are a bubble boy....aren't you?
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

Cyllarus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Cyllarus » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:29 pm

Had all 4 wisdom teeth taken out at once. Combination of pulling and cutting them out. The tylenol 3's dental surgeon prescribed afterward had little effect and I was swallowing so much blood it was making me nauseous. Spent first day swilling down beer whcih helped with blood dripping gashes in my mouth.

My gf at the time came over after work and thought a BJ would take my mind off the pain and blood. Only time I was annoyed someone giving me a BJ.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:34 pm

Sure, if you have a dentist you can consult and assure you about the quality of work, then great. Otherwise, you're taking a chance on something that isn't a routine procedure. You don't want to take chances with your teeth.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:37 pm

Oh super shitty, keeks. I have no stories to share or advice to give but fingers crossed this isn't as horrendous as you fear.
Our problem is civil obedience. -Howard Zinn

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:38 pm

eric84 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:34 pm
Sure, if you have a dentist you can consult and assure you about the quality of work, then great. Otherwise, you're taking a chance on something that isn't a routine procedure. You don't want to take chances with your teeth.
I agree. You can't just go back and get it fixed if something fucks up.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:40 pm

eric84 wrote:

A dentist in Toronto can make any corrections necessary upon her return.
Thousands of Americans/Canadians do this every year.
Besides I also said do some r&r down there so you can go back if any sudden issues arise.

Kikilamour
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kikilamour » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:16 pm

Homerj wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:40 pm
eric84 wrote:

A dentist in Toronto can make any corrections necessary upon her return.
Thousands of Americans/Canadians do this every year.
Besides I also said do some r&r down there so you can go back if any sudden issues arise.
oh right. i forgot about mexico. a lot closer and cheaper perhaps. is there a place you would recommend? town wise? i have never been to mexico. it's been on my list after asia.

Kikilamour
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kikilamour » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:18 pm

i reread. i'd rather not have a border town. i want to go to a tropical beachy town with good food and culture.

hey nogs, what about that san miguel di allende you go to? sp? whatever it's called.

cowtown
Stew Ingredient

Post by cowtown » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:30 pm

Now what would I do with a toothless women
Jim-2012 wrote:I *heart* Hitler

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:41 pm

Kikilamour wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:18 pm
i reread. i'd rather not have a border town. i want to go to a tropical beachy town with good food and culture.

hey nogs, what about that san miguel di allende you go to? sp? whatever it's called.
That's in Mexico, known more for cooking schools I believe.

Costa Rica is known for good dental care.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:41 pm

Kikilamour wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:18 pm

Sonoyta is less than an hour from Puerto Penasco.
There are dentists there as well as most of the beachfront condos are owned by folks who live in Phoenix or Tucson.

Kikilamour
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kikilamour » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:03 pm

oh, costa rica sounds good too. they are both comparable in price.

homer, when you said it's tax deductible, what do you mean? i can keep receipts for the plane, dental work, hotel, etc??? if i'm self employed.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:15 pm

Any medical costs incurred outside of of Canada are deductible.
Not sure if there are limits to the amounts or what % of it you get back, but I know I gave my accountant my receipts when I had an issue in Bangkok that caused me to hospitalized overnight and I had some out of pocket expenses.
As long as it isn't cosmetic (and as a voice professional and a r/e agent even some cosmetic may be deductible - I know cuz I dated a stripper many moons ago who wrote off her new boobs) but as this is for non cosmetic purposes you can use this as a deduction on your 2018 filing.
Just ask the person who does your taxes.
My folks do this all the time when they have medical/dental done in AZ or MX, they submit their receipts to Canada Revenue.
I am just unsure how much of it is deductible or if there are yearly limits.
Like Chip I have also heard good things about Costa Rica and Panama as far as dental work is concerned.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:21 pm

I think it has to be at least 3% of your net income before you can claim for out of pocket medical expenses.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:25 pm

eric84 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:21 pm
I think it has to be at least 3% of your net income before you can claim for out of pocket medical expenses.
I'm not sure Eric, my folks have given me one's for say $100 or $150 (granted there may be 4 or 5 of them/yr.) but that doesn't come close to 3% of their income.
But I'm not the expert keeks, Eric could be right, you should check into it.

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:15 am

hhmm Just remembered a friend of mine is an oral surgeon. I´m gonna have to discuss this now with her.

Kikilamour
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kikilamour » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:13 pm

gnd wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:15 am
hhmm Just remembered a friend of mine is an oral surgeon. I´m gonna have to discuss this now with her.

okay. report back please.

Barbarella
Stew Ingredient

Post by Barbarella » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:24 pm

What kinda follow up or guarantees etc. do you have if you go to Mehico or Thighland though?

Kikilamour
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kikilamour » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:27 pm

uh, none. or wait. some in mexico. i dunno.
i'd probbers do the follow up here. someone put me onto the dental college. they said they had a good experience.

Barbarella
Stew Ingredient

Post by Barbarella » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:00 pm

Oh yeah we were riddled with "go to Budapest for your porcelain gnashers and follow up in Dubbers" places there a few years ago. They seem to have disappeared though. I reckon the dentist mafia here put out a few hits. I got me train tracks for 18 months 2.5k up front all in, which was an absolute bargain purely cos it was middle of recession here, plus I could claim 20% back in taxes which brought the entire cost down to 2k only. Its shot back up to over 4k plus in no time.

shunter
Stew Ingredient

Post by shunter » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:34 pm

Just get some false teeth instead of implants
“Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does. It is up to you to give life a meaning.”

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:13 pm

Kiki,

I really don't have any advice, but I am sorry to hear this. I am a bit surprised that you health system doesn't include some kind of coverage for oral surgery. I guess we are lucky, we have separate insurance for dental, but oral surgery is considered to be surgery and falls under our major medical instead of dental.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

Kikilamour
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kikilamour » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:07 pm

it's not covered by our provincial insurance, ohip. since i'm self employed, i don't have dental insurance with a company. anything dental is out of pocket. it sucks.
thanks though. :(((((

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:15 am

I've had one molar yanked and replaced with an implant. Last tooth on the lower left before the wisdom tooth, which is still in. This was maybe 20 years ago. Root canal went bad. Well, the tooth went bad, and the root canal was a temporary fix.

The tooth extraction did remove the pain immediately, which was nice. The bone graft happened over the next few months. Maybe six months later I got the implant. That was pricey, maybe $1,500 at the time. Then a crown on that, maybe another $700. Again, 20 years ago. It's been great since, though the crown did pop off once. Just went to the dentist to have it glued back in.

Sounds like US may be cheaper than Canada. However, I would look into Thailand or Mexico. Los Algodones is otherwise known as the town of dentists, but it's not fun/interesting as it's south of Yuma and tiny. Keep in mind that the graft and the implant would happen months apart, then the crown wouldn't go in immediately if I recall.

I may be looking at another, given my Korean root canal (redone in America) seems a little sore months later. It's just a matter of time before that tooth will come out, I think.
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

Kikilamour
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kikilamour » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:02 pm

wow, thanks for the breakdown of that pez. i'd be inclined to do the bone graft here with my super specialist. then the implants and crowns elsewhere. if the university of toronto dentistry isn't too expensive, i might stay here. i heard from friends they were happy with the work.

you said it took 6 months???? for the graft to take? wow.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:20 pm

I had all four removed in Mexico City, three years ago. It was just under $800, all included. They even gave me a amulet with the four rotten teeth in it.
I don't want no Commies in my car. No Christians, either.

mishmish
Stew Ingredient

Post by mishmish » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:00 pm

Pez is right, the bone graft takes about 6 months, and you need to get it imaged again before they start drilling to make sure it's thick enough (may want to do that before traveling to foreign lands), then the implant screw needs to build up bone around it - another few months, then the crown is fitted. This is not a single procedure deal. The whole process took about a year to complete, i.e. about that long without a tooth (I have two molar implants, one upper and one lower, performed years apart). That being said, it was really quite painless, but yes, a big pain in the butt because of the chewing problem. Yes, you have to chew on one side. Drove me insane, but not a liquid diet. I would certainly do one side at a time. Otoh maybe you dont need bone grafts, so 'only' a couple of months between screw implant and crown.

I think people used to get their (healthy) teeth filed down and then capped. Not the same as implants.

Kikilamour
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kikilamour » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:28 pm

thanks for that mish, i see it clearer now. fuck me, a year without properly chewing. the thing is it's on both sides of the mouth. i'd rather get it all done at once compared to two years of limbo. fucccccck. WAAAAAH.
it makes sense to get the imaging done before i go, if i decide to. i think i might just stay in toronto and go to the dentistry university.

i need the bone graft. i was born without/very little root/bone density at the back of my mouth. that's the whole problem of my infections.