$350 bottle of wine

The Richard Allan Bodine Lounge... have a drink and talk about whatever you'd like

Moderator: Moderator

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Re: $350 bottle of wine

Post by Wilster » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:13 am

TheRedWoman wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:09 am
Wilster, NYcfellow is one of the biggest wine snobs ever! He used to laugh at me liking a Zinfandel.
Haha, okay, well, the Shiraz in Aus IS the Zinfandel in most other areas; that's why you won't see a Zin coming out of Aus.

If NYCfellow is likin' the Grange you have, then inherently he likes Zinfandel.
My moniker is Wilster. How is my posting? If you no like, write suggestions down intelligibly on paper and then...burn it.

TheRedWoman
Stew Ingredient

Post by TheRedWoman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:17 am

Wilster wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:13 am
TheRedWoman wrote:
Wilster, NYcfellow is one of the biggest wine snobs ever! He used to laugh at me liking a Zinfandel.
Haha, okay, well, the Shiraz in Aus IS the Zinfandel in most other areas; that's why you won't see a Zin coming out of Aus.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
What matters ain't the "who's baddest," but the ones who stop you fallin' from your ladder. This ain't no place for no hero...

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:17 am

That wine is very fruit forward with an oaky afterbirth and citys notes.

Just shove it in a paper bag and drink it on the corner on a Tuesday night.

temporaryhandle2
Stew Ingredient

Post by temporaryhandle2 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:19 am

This has been my favourite winter drink for a few years now.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/wine-2997 ... -australia

Pinot grigio for summer. Coles supermarket does a quaffer for $5.

temporaryhandle2
Stew Ingredient

Post by temporaryhandle2 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:21 am

TheRedWoman wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:17 am
Wilster wrote:
TheRedWoman wrote:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Does this mean shiraz is called Zinfandel in the US? Where did that name originate?

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:21 am

guruwil wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:10 am
It’s no more bullshit than any other wine review...It is without doubt a lovely wine but seriously when you get past the good wines in the $50-100 range it would take a more sophistaced (sic) palate than mine to tell you that it was worth another $250.
X2

My palate is better than my taste. I can taste (palate), blindfolded the difference in varietals pretty easily. Can I tell the difference in the minutiae of five different wines in one varietal and get into the nuances of say two that are well over $100 plus, probably not--taste.

This whole wine thing is a little bit like the discussion of music here sometimes; sometimes you just like something for it's value. I mean when I read the Beatles are shit here on the Stew...hookay. :roll:
My moniker is Wilster. How is my posting? If you no like, write suggestions down intelligibly on paper and then...burn it.

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Re: 350 bottle of wine

Post by Moethebartender » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:25 am

ben_hanscombe wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:10 am

I’d drink it. How else am I going to find out what a $350 bottle of wine tastes like? There’s no-one I could regift it to who wouldn’t be weirded out, and if I sold it the money would just disappear unnoticed into my current account unless I spent it on something dumb and extravagant like, shit, I dunno, a $350 bottle of wine.
That's pretty much how I'd look at it as well. Though I wouldn't have told him I was into Straylian wines, obviously.
Korgy on Oprah wrote:she has done some amazing things that no one else has been able to do, like get mainstream American women to actually read real books -- and not trash. and to actually talk about issues of substance.

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:27 am

temporaryhandle2 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:21 am
Does this mean shiraz is called Zinfandel in the US? Where did that name originate?
Not really Temp, they just share so many of the same characteristics that...without doing some full-on Soda-esque Google research...they share some "root" (not in Aussie form mind). Fascinating mind; I mean the root of Shiraz comes from, well, Shiraz, Iran. But what came before that? Was is rooted in a Zin coming from somewhere else to Shiraz? Etc., etc. Man, all this discussion about rooting...queing Cummy to enter (oops, there I go again) this thread.

nycfellow
Stew Ingredient

Post by nycfellow » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:29 am

Ai, ai, ai. There's nothing wrong with zinfandel/shiraz. Loads of fine wines. There's something wrong with white zinfandel. And of course the "peak" for a wine could be years, possible even many years long. But big, big tannic reds are honest to god bad, unpleasant to drink when very, very young. And I mostly drink cheap-ass wine, so when I say "bad," I mean "bad." It's not exactly that shiraz is "called" zinfandel in the US. The grape arrived long, long ago, under the zin name. Until about 15-20 years ago, when they sequenced the DNA, no one actually knew they were the same, though quite a few experts suspected.

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:30 am

I thought Shiraz was just the type of grape that originated in Iran.

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:30 am

TheRedWoman wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:12 am
section8 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:52 am
I’ll trade you 50 pounds of salmon fillets for it. I won’t have them until early July though.
That's a great offer! I might take you up on it if it's wild salmon.
Perfect, you should work that out. Make it during the time you're in SF, so he can put an extra 20lbs of fish in his suitcase for me. I'll pay the extra weight luggage charge.
Things fall apart, it's scientific.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:33 am

All Alaskan salmon is wild. These would be sockeyes from the copper river. You’ll be able to find the same fish in San Fran, but it’ll likely cost you somewhere around $30/pound.
My revolutionary farmer friend once labeled me as "severely creative." Yes, yes, I like tall-bike building and riding, making fermented foods, wild-crafting and being silent in places where there are no human sounds.

TheRedWoman
Stew Ingredient

Post by TheRedWoman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:35 am

lolasf wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:30 am
TheRedWoman wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:12 am
section8 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:52 am
I’ll trade you 50 pounds of salmon fillets for it. I won’t have them until early July though.
That's a great offer! I might take you up on it if it's wild salmon.
Perfect, you should work that out. Make it during the time you're in SF, so he can put an extra 20lbs of fish in his suitcase for me. I'll pay the extra weight luggage charge.
Deal.
What matters ain't the "who's baddest," but the ones who stop you fallin' from your ladder. This ain't no place for no hero...

temporaryhandle2
Stew Ingredient

Post by temporaryhandle2 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:43 am

Citizen Baba wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:30 am
I thought Shiraz was just the type of grape that originated in Iran.
Me too. Related to Syrah, which I also like. Shiraz is my favourite. But it does make my cheeks go very red if I drink it too quickly.

It can contain a lot of hystamines. Wolf Blass shiraz gives me dreadful headaches.

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:47 am

section8 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:33 am
All Alaskan salmon is wild. These would be sockeyes from the copper river. You’ll be able to find the same fish in San Fran, but it’ll likely cost you somewhere around $30/pound.
My mom brought a can of it home from Alaska. My cat loved it.

guruwil
vegemite flavored maple syrup

Post by guruwil » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:58 am

Wilster wrote:
TheRedWoman wrote:

Syrah and Shiraz are the same grape variety for some reason when it came to Australia the name was changed to Shiraz. I had understood that Zinfandel was genetically different to Shiraz and actually genetically the same as the Italian variety Primitivo but happy to be corrected on that.

There are actually a small number of Australian Zinfandel producers but it is very small.
An it harm none, do what ye will

A duly ordained Minister of the Unversal Life Church call me Reverend.

We are all Atheists about most gods, some of us just go one god further.

judik wrote:Guruwil was right!!!!!!!!!!

jono_in_adelaide wrote:I think Guru is right on this one

nycfellow
Stew Ingredient

Post by nycfellow » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:07 am

You're correct Guruwil. I was confusing myself above - also too much Loire bubbly this evening.

trixie
Stew Ingredient

Post by trixie » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:05 am

Shiraz is Syrah. Zinfandel is Primativo and can be wonderful, although there is so much Lodi crap out there that many people miss the Good Stuff.

ETA -- looks like someone got to the shiraz/syrah confusion already.
Learning is delightful and delicious. As, by the way, am I.

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:24 am

Wilster wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:27 am
Man, all this discussion about rooting...queing Cummy to enter (oops, there I go again) this thread.
fancy a root, wilster? i think yes. :lol:

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:25 am

now how BIG is this wine bottle? ya know, length and girth are mighty important when it comes to wine bottles. just ask gnd.

Nines
Regular Guy

Post by Nines » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:28 am

"The finish lasts forever. A huge, effusive wine that needs 15 years to settle down."

*spits and chugs a beer*

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:17 am

Drink it from the bottle while sitting on your couch eating Ritz crackers with cheez whiz. Just to upset the purists.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:32 am

When I started my undergrad degree I bought the best bottle of wine I could reasonably afford, a Pomerol set to hit Peak round my future graduation date. On the day of my graduation ceremony I skipped it and hiked up Mt Aala ( highest point on Oahu) and drank it with an MRE.
My revolutionary farmer friend once labeled me as "severely creative." Yes, yes, I like tall-bike building and riding, making fermented foods, wild-crafting and being silent in places where there are no human sounds.

guruwil

Post by guruwil » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:52 am

EMG wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:17 am
Drink it from the bottle while sitting on your couch eating Ritz crackers with cheez whiz. Just to upset the purists.
I have actually drunk one with a pizza, it was a very good wood fired pizza. But still it was a pizza.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:20 am

TheRedWoman wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:27 am
temporaryhandle2 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:07 am
I doubt very much I'll ever taste Grange. Ever. In my whole life.

Wine is made for drinking. If you don't like wine, send it to me.

Call it a charitable donation and claim a tax deduction. :P
I'd share it with you. You deserve it.

NG
Lola
5Waldo
MadMonday
Leela (so she can decide if she'd really sell it)
Jessica Fletcher
Glimpet, so he could have a taste.
Thanks redwoman
I won't deny I'd be curious. But I'd need the right occasion and the right company to really enjoy something of that value, if it was gifted to me. I couldn't sit home alone and drink it.
Pass the wine...

Potpie
Stew Ingredient

Post by Potpie » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:13 pm

Glug glug

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:33 pm

Well, the tannins are not going to disappear out of the bottle
My understanding is that over time they break down into simpler compounds. I could be wrong.

Cyllarus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Cyllarus » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:14 pm

Out of the goodness of my heart I am willing to store it for you for a year or two in my climate and humidity controlled wine cellar. Redwood racks so no off gassing.

It will be the star of the cellar so will work hard to keep Mrs C from opening it. She is tricky though and has her ways to change my mind....

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:37 pm

CB makes a good point....fruit forward wine has it's limits on re-sale.
A little research will let you know if it has reached it peak yet (where you will get your maximum return on the bottle if u wish to sell it).
If you decide to keep it, lay it down in a dark closet preferably in the basement (if you have one).
Then just pick an occasion when you want to splurge, make sure what ever is being served pairs well with a fruit forward wine and go to town.
Or give it to a charity for say a silent auction and get the tax receipt.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:42 pm

He's a courageous man to be leaving expensive bottles of wine on an employee's table, let alone a female's table, let alone a female employee's table who might be a nut job*

*present company excepted

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:44 pm

guruwil wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:58 am
Wilster wrote:
TheRedWoman wrote:

Syrah and Shiraz are the same grape variety for some reason when it came to Australia the name was changed to Shiraz. I had understood that Zinfandel was genetically different to Shiraz and actually genetically the same as the Italian variety Primitivo but happy to be corrected on that.

There are actually a small number of Australian Zinfandel producers but it is very small.
Also agree with above. And doing some hunting around on the internets, it seems that the idea of Shiraz/Syrah coming from Iran originally is stuff of legend--looks like it's more likely from the Rhone Region. And also from the internets, it seems the Zin/Primitivo grape originated in Croatia.

I still stand by my thought above that a Syrah/Shiraz-Zin/Primitivo share some common characteristic of flavor/taste. HOWEVER, given the area of being grown, those characteristics can be further apart comparatively.

I wonder now with Guru's comment above about Australian Zin producers; perhaps given the grow areas where both Syrah/Shiraz-Zin/Primitivo would/could be grown, that perhaps the characteristics are just too close to want to really push/market a Zin in Oz for domestic and export use/production. *shrug* :roll: I'm not a big red wine drinker (or any kind of wine), but love a hearty one (usually a Zin or Cab) with a steak, or heavy red pasta of some sort. I'm sure there are a ton in and around my area, but a cheapish/moderate (cheapish for the heavy hitters here/moderate for my billfold) Zin, a go-to one has been Kendall-Jackson or a Ravenswood.

cowtown
Stew Ingredient

Post by cowtown » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:58 pm

More than I’d spend but I’d be happy to drink it and isn’t that the point?

Gifting, older successful people is difficult so you get them something they’d never get themselves so it’s considered a treat.

It demands some food though, maybe take it in and pay corkage or get some nice cheese

Don't let NoG's near it, if it's not from a box or a can it will confuse her, don't offend us that way. It's a sin against wine
Jim-2012 wrote:I *heart* Hitler

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:00 pm

I would totes drink it, preferably with someone who would truly appreciate it.

I doubt I will ever be in a position to drink $350 wine, ever. Life is so unfair.
Our problem is civil obedience. -Howard Zinn

trixie
Stew Ingredient

Post by trixie » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:32 pm

Zin and syrah aren't really that similar in taste profile. At a certain price point you'll note similarities, but that's mostly due to blending, extraction and adding sugar to please the average palate. ("average" meaning the most people, not necessarily someone with mediocre taste)

Zin tends to be a hot climate grape that is big, high in ABV (up to and exceeding 15%), can be fruity or smoky with some spice (look at Napa and Sonoma zins rather than Lodi) and don't actually pair that well with food, which is fine. They can be drunk on their own and enjoyed. They do go well with food like barbecued ribs or spicy-sweet Koren food, interestingly. Ravenswood is a good producer as is his son's label, Bedrock Wine Co. Also try Serghesio (delicious) and if you can get your hands one some, the cult-wine Turley. But there are lots of good producers out there in the $20 range.

Syrah is more of a cool-climate grape, except when grown in Australia I suppose. But traditionally and in the Northern Rhone, where it shines, it needs less heat. Even in California and Washington the growers canopy the vines to drop the daytime temperature with some shade. It's the main grape in Chateauneuf du Papes, Cotes Rotie and Hermitage. Many Cotes du Rhone are mostly syrah and/or grenache. Australia made shiraz popular as a single variety wine. I find them too big and alcoholic from Australia, but they appeal to a certain palate. And many producers are dialing back on the alcohol and fruit.

I would try a Penfold's Grange just because it's so iconic.
Learning is delightful and delicious. As, by the way, am I.

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:53 pm

Trixie, I don't know if you ever heard of the big row and showdown between Kendall-Jackson and Gallo (Turning Leaf) about their respective labels. The former arguing in court that the latter's just looked a little too much like Kendall-Jackson label:

Kendall-Jackson lost...this was over 20 years ago when Gallo was pushing into it's own varietals instead of it's jug wine.

guruwil

Post by guruwil » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:27 pm

Wilster wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:44 pm

I wonder now with Guru's comment above about Australian Zin producers; perhaps given the grow areas where both Syrah/Shiraz-Zin/Primitivo would/could be grown, that perhaps the characteristics are just too close to want to really push/market a Zin in Oz for domestic and export use/production. *shrug* :roll:
I suspect that many or Maoist of the Zin in Australia was planted and originally sold as Primitivo because we had a large Italian migrant population, some of them may have rebranded as Zin with the rise in popularity in the US. But the reality is that vineyards take a long time to establish and even Zinfandel is not well known in Australia so a better marketing bet is Shiraz or Cab Sav, at least for the domestic market.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:41 pm

I take it the Maoist Zin is deepest red.

guruwil

Post by guruwil » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:13 pm

😂

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:17 pm

I drank a $150 half-bottle of some Italian red in Vientiane with a pal who was going blind.

It was etherial. We couldn't talk. It was like an all consuming wine cloud that enveloped the universe.

The restaurant owner had a half glass and we had a big glass each. He gave us free spumoni. Big fucking deal.

ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient

Post by ben_hanscombe » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:37 pm

A guy of my mindset is susceptible to elegiac moment, BeatRaven. I might have cried in that situation.

The more expensive the wine, the more Importantly Symbolic the moment and the more likely the tears. At least until absurdity kicks in as the price gets even higher.

If I was on my laptop I’d make you a graph.
Born a worm, spins a coccoon
Goes to sleep, wakes up a butterfly
What the fuck is that about?

FUUZ
Stew Ingredient

Post by FUUZ » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:50 pm

either sell the wine or give it to someone else.
As I wander and chunder, I ponder and wonder.
I'm Slumming in Bedlam. Amuse me.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:01 pm

Makes me fondly remember the time when Cliff Richard was unknowingly rude to wine from his own vineyard in Portugal, after Gordon Ramsay served it to him.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:02 pm

Last edited by Stephen_Dedalus on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cowtown
Stew Ingredient

Post by cowtown » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:03 pm

and when he went blind, you brought the cheapest one to see if he could tell?
Jim-2012 wrote:I *heart* Hitler

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:07 pm

Actually, I bought him a dachshund and kept protesting that they told me it was a seeing eye dog at the store.

He's in Japan, where the sidewalk has special markers for the cane. He's married to a 20 year's younger woman who mercifully don't know him like I know him. So maybe not quite a story at Ben Hanscombe elgiatic levels.

In Vientiane, expensive wine is pretty cheap due to some ancient french agreement. So that $150 half bottle is more like a $600 full bottle in NYC, at the very least.

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:12 pm

I’d drink it with a big steak.

I spent $150 on a bottle of 1996 Barolo (about 12 years ago). Worth every penny!
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:13 pm

Mine was a Barolo. Thanks for the memory jog. Aint no cheap barolo, apparently.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:16 pm

Fuck I spent $150 on a bottle of Moet at a night club a week ago. And a week before that as well.

Not worth it, I need a caretaker for my credit card when I'm drunk .

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:16 pm

Cheaper than getting a hooker though, am I right?

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:18 pm

$150 for an Asian hooker? EMG, help this man if he washes up on your door step.