Portraits

The Richard Allan Bodine Lounge... have a drink and talk about whatever you'd like

Moderator: Moderator

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Portraits

Post by Chip_Oatley » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:04 pm

Here are the newly commissioned portraits of Barack Obama and Michelle Obama.

They will be in the National Portrait Gallery--a very nice spot btw. What do you think? How would you like your portrait?

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Re: Portraits

Post by Chip_Oatley » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:06 pm

I think I'd have to view them separately. His seems more vibrant when you see them together. Different artists, btw.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:28 pm

I don't like the way his chair doesn't seem to rest on the ground. And I think the symbolic mix of flowers — one Hawaiian, one Kenyan, one Illinoisian —is kind of silly, especially with them all apparently growing from the same plant.

I like hers (Baltimore artist) a lot.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:30 pm

Hers is alright but there's a lack of definition in the face that makes it seem a bit amateur to me.

I don't like his. Too noisy.

cowtown
Stew Ingredient

Post by cowtown » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:43 pm

he looks pissed off she looks like a stamp

I'd need to see a better version, I like that they are different, her's may have more merit as art
Jim-2012 wrote:I *heart* Hitler

shilgia
Stew Ingredient

Post by shilgia » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:52 pm

The one of Michelle Obama doesn't even look like Michelle Obama. She would be in her right to ask for her money back on that one.

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:04 pm

Who were the artists? I think the portrait of Barack Obama would be fine if someone were to vandalize it by covering all the vegetation with black paint. I agree with shilgia on the portrait of Michelle Obama. It doesn't look like her, or at least not like she looks in most photos and on TV.

I think that Chuck Close would have been a perfect choice for either of their portraits. Is he still painting?
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:11 pm

Did Dubya paint them?
Korgy on Oprah wrote:she has done some amazing things that no one else has been able to do, like get mainstream American women to actually read real books -- and not trash. and to actually talk about issues of substance.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:17 pm

This reminds me of my favourite official portrait: Jesse Ventura, hanging in the state capitol in St. Paul.

Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:25 pm

shilgia wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:52 pm
The one of Michelle Obama doesn't even look like Michelle Obama. She would be in her right to ask for her money back on that one.
Yep, I stared at it for ages trying to see her in it. And failed.
Pass the wine...

ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient

Post by ben_hanscombe » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:43 pm

Obama's portrait has enormous hands.
Born a worm, spins a coccoon
Goes to sleep, wakes up a butterfly
What the fuck is that about?

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:49 pm

He looks ab it dour but I guess presidential. I really don't like the background, as someone said, too busy. Hers doesn't really capture her at all imho. She has such a radiant and frequent smile which I think would have made a much nice "pose". I actually think hers looks a bit more like Milia than Michele.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:52 pm

Haha, ben!

I prefer Michelle's portrait, although I'd like to see it in person to be sure. It's a more striking painting. I don't really give a shit if it looks like her.

I'd probably like Annie Leibowitz to do my portrait. Is that allowed?

Oh, Stan's post made me think Obama's should have shown him smiling. Hard to paint, I guess.

Our problem is civil obedience. -Howard Zinn

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:53 pm

I really like both of them. They work as a pair too.
I'm assuming the lack of definition/washed out blacks (no!) are from bad lighting/camera flashes.
I cant find good online images though, only from the press launch.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Post by Annotated » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:53 pm

shilgia wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:52 pm
The one of Michelle Obama doesn't even look like Michelle Obama.
That's because it's not.

They got Kerry Washington to sit in instead.

Michelle was deemed too ugly.

This board is my life.

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:00 pm

WHat shilgia said. And someone else - that Michelle's doesn't show the energy she exudes. Good painting, but not necessarily a good portrait.

Also don't care for the background of his.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

Logg
Stew Ingredient

Post by Logg » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:10 pm

Moethebartender wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:11 pm
Did Dubya paint them?
Exactly.

Will the late night comedians have the guts to say it?

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:35 pm

Chuck Close did Bill Clinton's official portrait.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:41 pm

Decent lighting and texture reference.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

rezuar
Stew Ingredient

Post by rezuar » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:48 pm

I prefer Michelle’s portrait over her husband’s although she doesn’t really look like herself on it. All the composition, idea, and colors seem more interesting to me than those on Barrack’s picture.
Keep an open mind but not so open your brain falls out.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:40 pm

I also like both of the paintings DCC posted.
Our problem is civil obedience. -Howard Zinn

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:13 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:35 pm
Chuck Close did Bill Clinton's official portrait.
Link, please. Oh, never mind; I found the Chuck Close portrait:

I was surprised to discover, though, that the Close painting is not Clinton's official portrait, but is on loan to the National Gallery from its owners, Ian and Annette Cumming. The official portrait was removed from display when artist Nelson Shanks revealed that he concealed in his painting a shadow that he intended as a reference to the blue dress of Monica Lewinsky.

When interviewed about the portrait, artist Nelson Shanks was unapologetic:

I didn't know the name Nelson Shanks before today, but it turns out he also did a portrait of Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia. You can see him working on that portrait here:

Meanwhile, you can see the unveiling of the Obama portraits at the National Gallery here:

Some of the comments are moving, some are funny, but if you'd rather skip them and go right to the unveiling of the two portraits, move the time line to 11:30 for the portrait of the former First Lady and to 29:30 for that of the former President.
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Post by Annotated » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:23 pm

NorthAmerican wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:13 pm

Some of the comments are moving, some are funny, but if you'd rather skip them and go right to the unveiling of the two portraits, move the time line to 11:30 for the portrait of the former First Lady and to 29:30 for that of the former President.
You know they had to have seen the painting before, otherwise her real reaction would have been more like, "Nigga, what???"*

*That's how African-Americans talk.
This board is my life.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:28 am

i love the portrait of Obama by Kehinde Wiley , and i agree these portraits should not be viewed together -- the artists have totally different sensibilities.

while i'm not the biggest fan of Wiley (who had a restrospective at the Brooklyn Museum not long ago)as an artist, re-inventing the nature of the portrait is certainly something for which he should be lauded.

Vinny, the chair is not supposed to look grounded -- Wiley's work is all about a decorative flattening of space (among other things).

https://www.brooklynmuseum.org/exhibiti ... _republic/
"the rise of Kim Crow"

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:30 am

Vinny, i can't believe you actually criticized the picture for having plants of different regions altogether in one picture.you do realize this is not a 16th century Renaissance portrait dont you?
"the rise of Kim Crow"

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:56 am

Nothing will ever approach this.

My revolutionary farmer friend once labeled me as "severely creative." Yes, yes, I like tall-bike building and riding, making fermented foods, wild-crafting and being silent in places where there are no human sounds.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:00 am

[laughing] i love the way the girl looks like she's getting ready to pour ice water down the back of the kid with the garden trowel
"the rise of Kim Crow"

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:15 am

korgy wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:30 am
Vinny, i can't believe you actually criticized the picture for having plants of different regions altogether in one picture.you do realize this is not a 16th century Renaissance portrait dont you?
Take a guess as to whether I do.

In the century you live in, do you have flowers of three different species growing from a plant of one species? What century is that?

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:19 am

The portraits will not be viewed together. The president's portrait goes on permanent display with the other presidents' portraits. Mrs Obama's goes up with other new acquisitions for a while.
Vinny, the chair is not supposed to look grounded -- Wiley's work is all about a decorative flattening of space (among other things).
Obviously it is not supposed to look grounded. The fact it doesn't look grounded is ex@ctly what I said I didn't like. How could you read my post and think I thought it was supposed to look grounded? You never cease to surprise me, korgy.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:27 am

section8 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:56 am
Nothing will ever approach this.

Is this another in the series of the forgotten man?
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

madmonday
Stew Ingredient

Post by madmonday » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:10 am

rezuar wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:48 pm
I prefer Michelle’s portrait over her husband’s although she doesn’t really look like herself on it. All the composition, idea, and colors seem more interesting to me than those on Barrack’s picture.
No beard?
Supporter and former member of door kickers Australia

palindrome
Stew Ingredient

Post by palindrome » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:13 am

I really like Obama’s portrait. And it is actually pretty restrained and grounded, for Wiley’s standards.
“I think that Chuck Close would have been a perfect choice for either of their portraits. Is he still painting?”
He is still painting but also in the middle of a sexual harassment scandal, so he would not have been the best choice.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:23 am

VinnyD wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:15 am
In the century you live in, do you have flowers of three different species growing from a plant of one species? What century is that?
this is so-o-o Vinny, i honestly don't know if you are intentionally caricaturing yourself or being totally serious. this is worse than the debate about "all Along the Watchtower"

where on earth would you create premise that a work of art -- particularly a 21st century work of art -- is supposed to be botanically accurate?

i guess you're not a fan of Gabriel Garcia Marquez either.
"the rise of Kim Crow"

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:25 am

palindrome wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:13 am
I really like Obama’s portrait. And it is actually pretty restrained and grounded, for Wiley’s standards.
“I think that Chuck Close would have been a perfect choice for either of their portraits. Is he still painting?”
He is still painting but also in the middle of a sexual harassment scandal, so he would not have been the best choice.
thank god he wasnt chosen!
"the rise of Kim Crow"

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:09 am

The one who did the Michelle one was an artist in residence a block from me. I used to see her at my coffee place.

I'm neither here nor there on both of them, but I'm glad some artistic license was given.

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Post by Annotated » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:50 am

Citizen Baba wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:09 am
but I'm glad some artistic license was given.
By "artistic license" do you mean painting a portrait of somebody other than the subject?

I'm afraid what we have here is a case Artistic Affirmative Action.

Everybody thought she was a great artist when all her models were anonymous. Then it was like, "Oh, shit. You don't know what the fuck you're actually doing, do you?"
This board is my life.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:06 am

His portrait looks absurd. Wiley isn't a bad painter, but there are some times when Dull Traditional is the way to go.

Her picture looks about as much like me as it does her. And why is she wearing Gordon Gecko's bathroom floor?

Boinkity_Boink
Stew Ingredient

Post by Boinkity_Boink » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:16 am

I don't like his pose. It looks like he's taking a dump. Put a magazine in front of him and a bog roll to the side, and he'd be ready for action. Nor do I like the concept of the leaves surrounding him, even if they are symbolic, as Vinny points out.

Her dress is too big and I don't think it looks like her.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:39 am

Korgy, some things have changed in the 21st century, but the fact that chrysanthemums, African blue lilies, and jasmine do not grow on the same bush has not. To me it looks silly. A mistake forgiveable in a drawing by a seven-year-old, like say showing a star within the horns of a crescent moon. Not so much in a painting by an adult.

I am glad that Obama's arms grow out of his shoulders in the painting and not his ears, because that is where arms actually grow. Is it wrong of me to care about that in the twenty-first century?

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:47 am

Do you honestly believe the artist made a mistake, Vinny? Literalism has its place but in art it’s unecessary and restrictive.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:59 am

I think he painted what he intended to paint, but I think it looks silly.

Does it matter to yu that Obama's arms grow out his shoulders in the painting and not out of his ears? And that his legs are below and his arms above? These things matter to me.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:07 pm

If a picture was by Bosch perhaps there would be anatomic detail not found in nature. I might consider the artist’s intention. I wouldn’t think it was silly.

If you wrote that Dali was silly because clocks aren’t really bendy people might assume you were ignorant and arrogant.

fishface
Stew Ingredient

Post by fishface » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:09 pm

To me, both have an element of life and hope to them. I love what is presumably a bringing together of old and new in Michelle Obama's portrait-the stunning powerful outfits worn by a modern and african-american first lady, but almost a quilt type pattern. Americana sort of.

My problem is actually the "but it doesn't look like her" issue. Because I see it and see all the things Michelle Obama may well represent...but if I saw the painting, I might stare at it curiously and carefully. But I wouldn't actually think of Michelle Obama. The subject has an almost anonymous quality and Michelle Obama wasn't that.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:12 pm

Silly.

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:19 pm

hmm does.not.look.like.her. IE is it supposed to represent AnyBlackWoman...but I like the dress--flowing outside the frame, and that her signature bare shoulders are featured (as apparently that infuriated, inflamed, erm Incited even...so many of us Puritanical USians to no end).
DCComic wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:41 pm

Decent lighting and texture reference.
fantastic those.
Taking advantage of what is not working to make changes in your life often leads to your greatest opportunities and accomplishments --GND

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:28 pm

I’m surprised this is a big story. It must be nostalgia for when we had a real president.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:32 pm

Boinkity_Boink wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:16 am
I don't like his pose. It looks like he's taking a dump. Put a magazine in front of him and a bog roll to the side, and he'd be ready for action.
I think that is what he is thinking, given his reaction above.

ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient

Post by ben_hanscombe » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:42 pm

It's not a position I agree with, but it's a perfectly legit position to say that Dali's surrealism is silly. I'd have some sympathy for someone arguing the same about Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

Obviously the artist is doing some sort of symbolism by putting the three different flowers on the same plant, right? And we all get roughly what the symbolism is about. Vinny, apparently, doesn't believe that this symbolism was successful. Being a generous soul, as I am, that's how I'm interpreting his position. Of course, it could be that he thinks it was silly to try to put any sort of symbolism into the painting, or even that he didn't recognise that there was any symbolism in the painting and merely thought it was silly to paint such an implausible plant. I'm cheating a bit in using context clues and my prior knowledge of VinnyD's interests and posting style to come to my conclusion.

What do you think, korgy? Does Vinny a) think the symbolism is silly in its execution, b) think it's silly to include sybolism in this painting, or c) fail to recognise the symbolism involved and think it's silly to paint a plant that doesn't exist? Show your working for full credit.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:47 pm

DCC, I would also not be happy with a presidential portrait that had things like those in the Bosch painting in the background, or floppy clocks.

You haven't answered ny questions. Would you be happy with the painting if the artist had portrayed him with his arms growing out of his ears, or with his arms where his legs should be and vice versa? I wouldn't like it.

ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient

Post by ben_hanscombe » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:55 pm

What's your position on Picasso, Vinny?