Our friends

The Richard Allan Bodine Lounge... have a drink and talk about whatever you'd like

Moderator: Moderator

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Re: Our friends

Post by DCComic » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:27 pm

Of the 10 (guys and wives) chances are 2 or 3 of them are hiding something from their unsympathetic 'friend'.
Every year.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

jessica_fletcher
Stew Ingredient

Post by jessica_fletcher » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:34 pm

I just wondered if you did have best friends apart from Marge.

Men are notoriously reluctant at admitting to mental health issues. The fear that everyone will think less of them and see them as attention seeking fun vacuums being a reason I'm sure.

Just sayin
NA, I dont use ' when typing informally online. I gave them up in 2013.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:36 pm

DCComic wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:23 pm
I said we all have physical issues to deal with, that's completely different.
No, it isn't. Mental illness, like physical illness, can be sudden and unexpected. Like physical illness its's indiscriminate.
Yes. Absolutely yes.

To be fair to homer, I suspect he would be supportive of that sudden type of breakdown. For a limited amount of time.
Pass the wine...

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:06 pm

I was thinking earlier that I don't have any friends that bring drama into my life, or with major issues that I know of, but I also don't have REALLY close friends. Even the ones I've known for years, we hang out socially, go on trips together occasionally, but I doubt any of them would think of seeking me in a time of emotional crisis.

Or, if they're like me, in times of emotional crisis they don't really want to burden their friends with their shit.

But if I hang out with someone for a while and get the feeling they're going to annoy the crap out of me, or add drama to my life, we probably won't keep hanging out.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:14 pm

I love how I get so easily painted as an asshole.
However of course people get depressed or get down and of course I would support them.
That is not what I meant.
What I meant was if someone like SG's friend was like that for many many many years without change, yes I would distance myself from them.
I do agree with DC's point about it being indiscriminate, and if I could make a difference I would.
But I don;t care how good a friend they are if they went from being a ray of sunshine to the voice of doom and gloom and remained that voice of doom year after year....yup I would drift them
....like I said maybe I'm selfish but that would just get me too down...
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

txgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by txgirl » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:29 pm

How many of us get deeply involved in our friends lives?

In recent years my friendships have evolved to ‘catching up’ with friends. You know the drama but you’re not deep in it.

That said, if a friend is draining and is showing no signs of improvement, I’d distance myself too. I wouldn’t unfriend completely.

I don’t have the level of dysfunctional friends as section8.

The imperfections my friends have are easy enough to overlook. I just focus on the good.

jessica_fletcher
Stew Ingredient

Post by jessica_fletcher » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:37 pm

My best closest friends, of which i have 3, I would honestly say, we're very involved in each other's lives. We're each other's confidants, support and sounding boards. I know they love me and I know without a doubt, that we have a special friendship. Like sisters. Funnily enough they dont know each other, i feel very lucky to have them. I never speak badly of these people, honestly they don't piss me off. I like them lots.

I also then have a old group of friends, and again although i don't see them as often I know i could call anyone offthem up in a pinch and they'll be there. I know that because I went though a very difficult time recently and there they were. One just turned up on my doorstep with dinner and ive never been so grateful.

I could openly talk to anyone of these people. And id happily help in any way i could should they need support. It would upset me if they got ill and id want to try and help.
Last edited by jessica_fletcher on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NA, I dont use ' when typing informally online. I gave them up in 2013.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:39 pm

Ditching a friend because they get sick is arseholish in some circles, yes.
Doesn't mean many of us wouldn't weaken and do it, but planning to in advance of the event is pretty cold.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:44 pm

shilgia wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:41 pm
section8 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:58 pm
A friend of mine went on a meth binge and murdered his girlfriend’s two year old. Beat her so bad her vertebrae in her neck severed. He showed no remorse in court, quite the opposite, really.
Holy crap. Were you friends with him at the time?
I hadn't seen him for a long time, and I didn't hang out with those people anymore. I ran into his cousin at the grocery store and asked where he was at nowadays.

I googled it and I didn't realize MySpace factored into his case.

http://www.in.gov/judiciary/opinions/pd ... 901rts.pdf
My revolutionary farmer friend once labeled me as "severely creative." Yes, yes, I like tall-bike building and riding, making fermented foods, wild-crafting and being silent in places where there are no human sounds.

nycfellow
Stew Ingredient

Post by nycfellow » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:47 pm

I pretty much just hate everyone, so that makes it easy.

dragon
Stew Ingredient

Post by dragon » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:22 pm

one of my closest friends is sort of my boss, or at least in the admin of my school. sometimes she does things i wouldn't have done. sometimes they annoy me. but they're not like slapping a kid level. anyway, sometimes i tell her, more often i don't.
She is a great-kneed person.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:50 pm

Homerj wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:14 pm
However of course people get depressed or get down and of course I would support them.
What I meant was if someone like SG's friend was like that for many many many years without change, yes I would distance myself from them.
I do agree with DC's point about it being indiscriminate, and if I could make a difference I would.
But I don;t care how good a friend they are if they went from being a ray of sunshine to the voice of doom and gloom and remained that voice of doom year after year....yup I would drift them
Well, you have described yourself as a sociopath, Homer, so you can't really get mad at someone for calling you similar.

Maybe it's just that you're a delicate flower.
Our problem is civil obedience. -Howard Zinn

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:11 am

txgirl wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:29 pm
How many of us get deeply involved in our friends lives?

In recent years my friendships have evolved to ‘catching up’ with friends. You know the drama but you’re not deep in it.
Exactly. I haven't been part of anyone's drama for quite a while.
But you obviously can't just listen to your supersmart friend telling you how she slaps her child and not say anything.

I didn't involve anyone in my separation either. Once I decided to move, I told my old friends about it, and that was that. It seems weird, because while I might be a quiet person, I'm not a very private one. I tell people private stuff easily, but not while it's happening.
I remember what this particular friend said when I told her. She said, "Bravo! I'm such a wuss I'd probanly never leave. Unless someone was actually hitting me, I'd probably just suffer through it."
And now she slaps her kid. I know she does it because her partner thought it was ok to do it first, but how on earth do you wake up one day and think it is actually not totally and utterly wrong?

rezuar
Stew Ingredient

Post by rezuar » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:41 am

I felt pretty bad already about posting the story about my blabbing friend a couple weeks ago. I’ll save my friends Stew Analysis in future, no matter how imperfect they are.
Keep an open mind but not so open your brain falls out.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:45 am

I was just thinking about another person I used to know. I worked next to him for a year. A few years after I moved on he was arrested and convicted of murder. He stabbed a woman 30 times with a screwdriver 20 years before I met him and finally got popped for it.
My revolutionary farmer friend once labeled me as "severely creative." Yes, yes, I like tall-bike building and riding, making fermented foods, wild-crafting and being silent in places where there are no human sounds.

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:55 am

You're making my already sheltered life seem so much more sheltered.
Well you do live in the most dangerous part of the USA, so I suppose we shouldn't be surprised.
rezuar wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:41 am
I felt pretty bad already about posting the story about my blabbing friend a couple weeks ago. I’ll save my friends Stew Analysis in future, no matter how imperfect they are.
Why did you feel bad about it?
I don't feel bad about posting about Tina, I feel bad about her slapping her child.

rezuar
Stew Ingredient

Post by rezuar » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:43 am

I’m not sure I’d appreciate if my friends posted about my imperfections on the internet.
When I made that OP about my blabbing friend it immediately felt that I was the one breaching her trust. And of course, there was virtue signalling of the highest order from my part.
Keep an open mind but not so open your brain falls out.

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:46 am

Come on Rez, we're Slavic! We don't virtue signal, we're just right about stuff.

Barbarella
Stew Ingredient

Post by Barbarella » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:39 am

I wouldnt shiv a git if my friends eviscerated me online in secret. I'd prefer that than them doing it to my face.

txgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by txgirl » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:33 am

I wouldn’t care either if my friends posted about me on some random forum. The thought of them talking about me behind my back doesn’t bother me much either. What’s the difference between thinking but not saying and thinking and saying? Not much. And I can’t possibly expect no one to judge me or have opinions about me. So whatever talk away.

I also think there’s a difference between discussing someone and tearing a person down. I don’t have friends that would do the latter to me, because I’m not friends with hateful people.

Barbarella
Stew Ingredient

Post by Barbarella » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:35 am

Its all a matter of perspective innit? What some people call a conversation/chat or discussion, others call gossip.

txgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by txgirl » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:42 am

Gossip to me means bad intentions. I think you can discuss a person without bad intentions. Discussions amongst friends i typically don’t categorize as gossip. Everyone gets annoyed, hurt, whatever, and talking about those feelings with other friends is just one way to let off steam and maybe even get perspective. Big deal. Now if you can talk about nothing else? Then that may be a problem.

Barbarella
Stew Ingredient

Post by Barbarella » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:46 am

Thats the problem though, what you've described as a discussion could easily be called gossip. Its the whole "talking about someone behind their back" which is viewed negatively even though everyone does it. How can you avoid it ffs? We all live in the same world.

txgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by txgirl » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:50 am

I understand that I just don’t see it that way. Come to think of it, I don’t like the word gossip and its usage. It’s like panties to me.

txgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by txgirl » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:58 am

I take it back. I like to use it to describe men who talk about other people behind their backs. A few years ago I worked with a bunch of guys who loved to gossip. I learned about other people in the office from listening to them talk. Their discussions were truly within the definition. They were juicy and catty. But from my experience with my women friends, that’s mostly not the case when we talk about each other. Yet gossiping seems to be thought of a something women only do.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:15 pm

I accept that people are going to talk about me when I'm not around. Both to mutual acquaintances and to people I don't know. I would just hope that, if they're talking about my bad parts, or stupid things I've done, they also occasionally mention some good things. Otherwise I wouldn't consider them friends.

For example: I have a friend who I've heard is a total controlling nightmare for women who date him. However, as a friend, he's a great guy. Fun to be around, intelligent, generous, etc.. I just wouldn't recommend any women I know date him though. I've told that to a couple of people when he came up in conversation.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:32 pm

I would just hope that, if they're talking about my bad parts, or stupid things I've done, they also occasionally mention some good things. Otherwise I wouldn't consider them friends.
Yes. I actually hate to think that close friends would moan about me, and like Rez, on the rare occasions I've moaned about someone I care about, I've felt awful, and regretted it. But realistically, I know it happens, and yes, I hope any bitching about me is balanced out with good stuff.
Pass the wine...

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:26 pm

I still don't feel awful about posting that my friend slaps her son. I don't talk about it to people in real life who might know her, or at least I haven't yet, but it bothers me no end and I cannot ignore it.

I don't feel like I'm moaning or bitching about her, mind.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:33 pm

Yeah, my post was more about people who know me in real life.

I don't feel bad about posting about my racist friends to people who don't, and will never know or meet them. Especially as I made their good points clear. I think we both genuinely want to know how to approach our friends and keep their friendship, Klara.
Pass the wine...

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:27 pm

hmmm slapping is NOT acceptable....so I´d have to stay her friend to try to figure out how to get them to STOP, to see that it is abusive to their kid. WTF is wrong with some people---there is absolutely NEVER any reason or excuse or justification to hit, slap, etc a child. There is no grey area.

yep...I stopped being friends with a woman who apparently judged me harshly that I have ANY social life, and am sociable, friendly, nice (yeah yeah IRL I´m quite sweet).
Taking advantage of what is not working to make changes in your life often leads to your greatest opportunities and accomplishments --GND

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:28 pm

So, have you seen her slap the kid? I´d have had to literally stop her from it...I can´t imagine how you dealt with it:( ...as it´s a friend....
Taking advantage of what is not working to make changes in your life often leads to your greatest opportunities and accomplishments --GND

Kikilamour
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kikilamour » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:30 pm

hmm. gnd. there's got to be more to it than judging you for a social life. what's the story?

ya. i don't have any friends that slap their kids or that i feel at odds with. hm. i would have a hard time keeping going out with them. how do you separate it?

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:20 pm

Homerj wrote:
kinda that.

No one has to be Sunshine all the damn time, but when one is always negative, gloomy, nothing pleases, complains about everything and always has only negative things to say, never sees anything but the down side of all...

yeah it´s too much.

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:44 pm

Kikilamour wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:30 pm
hmm. gnd. there's got to be more to it than judging you for a social life. what's the story?

ya. i don't have any friends that slap their kids or that i feel at odds with. hm. i would have a hard time keeping going out with them. how do you separate it?

I think she is not used to doing anything without her MaleHusband with her-she´s a We/a Couple. It´s been two years, and I have seen her a few times recently without him. She tried speaking to me but I honestly just couldn´t be arsed to try further.

ie it´s about her, not me.

Most all my women friends are very independent, even if married/coupled-up. I´m happy for my friends (male or female) when their social life is going well--for many of us, having a social life also is helpful in the rest of our life as well.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:11 pm

snowgirl wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:50 pm
Homerj wrote:
Well, you have described yourself as a sociopath, Homer, so you can't really get mad at someone for calling you similar.

Maybe it's just that you're a delicate flower.
I don't think I'm a sociopath...I just have sociopathic tendencies when it comes to feeling empathy for others.
To take it one step further I just have zero toleration for people who bring things on themselves, or people who would rather complain than do something about it.
I do stupid shit, I own up to it, and don't do it again....I have a problem with people who don't have the same approach to life.
Now mental illness is not someone doing stupid shit on purpose, but it doesn't mean I have to let their illness directly effect me.
With family I have no real choice in the matter....with friends I do.
In some cases if it was bad and more importantly continuous and not improving...then yes I'd drift them until they got better.
If that makes me an asshole....well.....
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

Kikilamour
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kikilamour » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:09 pm

gnd wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:44 pm
Kikilamour wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:30 pm

I think she is not used to doing anything without her MaleHusband with her-she´s a We/a Couple. It´s been two years, and I have seen her a few times recently without him. She tried speaking to me but I honestly just couldn´t be arsed to try further.

ie it´s about her, not me.

Most all my women friends are very independent, even if married/coupled-up. I´m happy for my friends (male or female) when their social life is going well--for many of us, having a social life also is helpful in the rest of our life as well.
yabbut what did she say to you exactly? what does she care if you do anything without your partner? i don't get it.

Troll_Handle
Ambivalent Chilli

Post by Troll_Handle » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:59 pm

Controversially it would seem, I agree with Homer. Some people have a very negative outlook on life where they enjoy complaining and that isn't always, nor even often, linked to mental illness nor any form of depression. They seem to take pleasure in having a dim view of the world and don't appear to see nor appreciate good things in life. I don't like such people any more than I like drama llamas. I have friends who are depressed and yet are great to spend time with, I'll support them any time and hope they recover their balance. Everyone gets upset and grumbly on occasion, that's fine too. If all I ever hear from someone is negative however, I'll stop being available when there's an invite. I'd rather look on the sunny side and I'm sure I make others around me happier when I do that than when I let my mood be dragged down by negative grumpy types.

tortuga
Stew Ingredient

Post by tortuga » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:06 pm

Yeah, I get what Homer's talking about too.

There is nothing wrong with having boundaries, even with friends and family.

Shavenhead
Stew Ingredient

Post by Shavenhead » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:08 pm

"Don't be attracted to easy paths because the paths that make your feet bleed are the only way to get ahead in life" Saddam Hussein

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:40 pm

Ooooohhhhh I'm controversial now!
Here's the thing not everyone views life thru the same lens nor approaches issues the same way.
Kudo's to SG for sticking it out with her friend....I just cannot tolerate that level of constant shitting upon oneself....I'd get down on myself just by being around her.....life's to short.

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:23 am

keeks. yeah I don´t get it either. Why she should care. Maybe she just wished she felt better able to do things alone too, not always with her husband. IDK.

Barbarella
Stew Ingredient

Post by Barbarella » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:27 pm

I like when others do character studies of their friends on here. Its never dull.

Kikilamour
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kikilamour » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:32 pm

Barbarella wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:27 pm
I like when others do character studies of their friends on here. Its never dull.
heh. yes. you are entertaining.

Barbarella
Stew Ingredient

Post by Barbarella » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:55 pm

I said others. Mine are effing phenomenal, everyone else: never dull.

High praise indeed I think you'll agree.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:15 pm

I got a call last night from a friend who is perfect for this thread. His failing-for-years marriage is finally in its death throes. I've posted about him before - he's old school Korean and so abusive by our standards (yes, I am racist and an apologist for abusers). I'll post details when I have more time.

Kikilamour
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kikilamour » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:01 pm

section8 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:15 pm
I got a call last night from a friend who is perfect for this thread. His failing-for-years marriage is finally in its death throes. I've posted about him before - he's old school Korean and so abusive by our standards (yes, I am racist and an apologist for abusers). I'll post details when I have more time.
hm. i don't like the sound of him.

babs, self praise is NO PRAISE. i think we all agree.

Barbarella
Stew Ingredient

Post by Barbarella » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:10 pm

I think you'll find no praise is no praise.

Self praise is better than nothing.

Kikilamour
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kikilamour » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:03 pm

:0

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:10 pm

I've worked with racists and rednecks most of my life.

Some of them are friends.

I don't lecture them and they don't lecture me.

I try to be a shining example.