Berlin in March

The Richard Allan Bodine Lounge... have a drink and talk about whatever you'd like

Moderator: Moderator

Kape
Stew Ingredient

Berlin in March

Post by Kape » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:18 pm

Just booked flights and hotel to Berlin in March. I’ve been there a couple on times before, but this is the first time my hotel is in the former W Berlin side: Sofitel Kurfürstendamm. On my previous trips I’ve always stayed and spent most of my time around Mitte-Prenzlauer Berg.

Any recommendations around or near Kurfürstendamm?

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Re: Berlin in March

Post by VinnyD » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:45 pm

I like the restaurant called Schildkröte, Ku'damm 212.

Kape
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kape » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:08 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:45 pm
I like the restaurant called Schildkröte, Ku'damm 212.
Thanks, VinnyD, I’ll check it out.

DianaHaddad
Stew Ingredient

Post by DianaHaddad » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:47 am

I used to go to Berlin every March for business. It's not at its best that time of year, but hey. Many of those years I stayed in that neighborhood. Favorite places to visit were the KaDeWe (there's a reason why people rave about the food halls, btw) and the awesome Hugendubel bookstore. I also like the Kaiser Wilhelm Gedaechniskirche--a modern church made mostly of stained glass, built on the site of a bombed church.

There is a nearby location of Hasir--a popular Turkish restaurant.

I know you asked about that neighborhood, but I can't go without mentioning the café at the top of the Bundestag (you have to call ahead to get a security code word) and also my most beloved restaurant Reinhard's--the location in the Nikoleiviertel is so atmospheric.
"Suck it, Trebek."

Unwashed_Pom
Stew Ingredient

Post by Unwashed_Pom » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:03 am

The Russian Army were there en masse a few years back. Around April/ May I seem to remember. They enjoyed themselves immensely by all accounts.

Logg
Stew Ingredient

Post by Logg » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:12 am

Party like it's 1939, Mary. I hear it's a gas. Just make sure when you get off the plane you walk to the right, away from the women and children.

GayTurk_Izmir
Stew Ingredient

Post by GayTurk_Izmir » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:20 am

I will be in Berlin next tuesday for a 10 day seminar,I will let you know what is Berlin up to when I get back.I will be staying at the Hilton in Mitte.I expect Berlin will be very cold,well, cold for me but probably not too cold for someone coming from Helsinki.Izmir is 16 degrees today.
One can’t go to pieces at the death of every foreigner. We’d all be in a constant state of collapse whenever we opened a newspaper.”Maggie Smith(Downton Abbey)

jedgarandclyde
Stew Ingredient

Post by jedgarandclyde » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:17 am

The thing that i found most interesting about Berlin, that they have a department store there that sells only food!!

It is like being in the food court in Harrods, but only on several floors.
No signature for you!

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:41 am

Probabaly the most fun city in the world.
(Arguably. Some travel blog could publish a list.)

An afternoon grazing in tne food court at KaDeWe. Visit Babylon at the Pergamon. Wander some backstreets and hang out in bars. This is a great start if you can find it. http://salut-berlin.de
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:56 am

This is a nice chocolaty cafe if yiu’re In the area.
https://www.winterfeldt-schokoladen.de/wartung.php

The glass atrium/restaurant on top of the Reichstag is a splurgy meal out with great night views over the city.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

Kape
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kape » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:50 pm

DianaHaddad wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:47 am
I used to go to Berlin every March for business. It's not at its best that time of year, but hey. Many of those years I stayed in that neighborhood. Favorite places to visit were the KaDeWe (there's a reason why people rave about the food halls, btw) and the awesome Hugendubel bookstore. I also like the Kaiser Wilhelm Gedaechniskirche--a modern church made mostly of stained glass, built on the site of a bombed church.

There is a nearby location of Hasir--a popular Turkish restaurant.

I know you asked about that neighborhood, but I can't go without mentioning the café at the top of the Bundestag (you have to call ahead to get a security code word) and also my most beloved restaurant Reinhard's--the location in the Nikoleiviertel is so atmospheric.
I’ll definitely visit KaDeWe... never been there before! Hugendubel, too. And thanks for the other recommendations too: now definitely considering the Bundestag café.

Kape
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kape » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:54 pm

GayTurk_Izmir wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:20 am
I will be in Berlin next tuesday for a 10 day seminar,I will let you know what is Berlin up to when I get back.I will be staying at the Hilton in Mitte.I expect Berlin will be very cold,well, cold for me but probably not too cold for someone coming from Helsinki.Izmir is 16 degrees today.
Yeah, won’t be too cold for me in March ;) Let me know what fun places you run into. I’ll definitely venture into Mitte, Prenzlauer Berg and Friedrichshain.

Kape
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kape » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:55 pm

jedgarandclyde wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:17 am
The thing that i found most interesting about Berlin, that they have a department store there that sells only food!!

It is like being in the food court in Harrods, but only on several floors.
Where was that?

Kape
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kape » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:58 pm

DCComic wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:41 am
Probabaly the most fun city in the world.
(Arguably. Some travel blog could publish a list.)

An afternoon grazing in tne food court at KaDeWe. Visit Babylon at the Pergamon. Wander some backstreets and hang out in bars. This is a great start if you can find it. http://salut-berlin.de
Thanks. Yes, probably the most fun city in the world. And yes, this time I’m planning on visiting the museums on the museum island. Missed it on my previous visits.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:06 pm

Kape, I think jedgar is thinking of KaDeWe. They sell other things, but there is food on several floors. She may not have noticed the other stuff.

KaDeWe made me really regret the US restrictions on bringing in things like ham and salami.

Logg
Stew Ingredient

Post by Logg » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:13 pm

Interesting to see the city with the largest Holocaust memorial to the murdered Jews of Europe described as the most fun city in the world. Says quite a bit actually.

jedgarandclyde
Stew Ingredient

Post by jedgarandclyde » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:38 pm

Yes i may be wrong about the KaDeWe store, it was several years ago we were there, and because of time constraints we only saw a couple of floors, and they were full of food, so they may have sold other things as well.

But for mine i would say it is well worth a visit.
No signature for you!

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:47 pm

Logg, what does it say?

And if if the city with the tenth-largest Holocaust memorial was described as the tenth most fun city in the world, what would that say?

Kape
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kape » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:52 pm

Yeah, I’ll definitely visit KaDeWe this time. Might bring home some salami and ham, too.

Kape
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kape » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:20 pm

Hey peeps, any experiences on the Berlin welcome card? I’m considering it as I think I’ll be using the U-Bahn, S-Bahn and trams every day plus going to spend at least one day in the museums of the Museum Island. I think it’s worth it if you’re planning to use the public transport every day, no?

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:08 pm

It's should be a bargain and the pubic transport is very good, but Berlin is a walkable city. We didn't get our money's worth.

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:26 pm

Kape wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:20 pm
Hey peeps, any experiences on the Berlin welcome card? I’m considering it as I think I’ll be using the U-Bahn, S-Bahn and trams every day plus going to spend at least one day in the museums of the Museum Island. I think it’s worth it if you’re planning to use the public transport every day, no?
Kape, I took a Segway tour of Berlin; you should too!
My moniker is Wilster. How is my posting? If you no like, write suggestions down intelligibly on paper and then...burn it.