We all just beat around the bush about drunk driving, "haha"

The Richard Allan Bodine Lounge... have a drink and talk about whatever you'd like

Moderator: Moderator

matt_melb
Stew Ingredient

Re: We all just beat around the bush about drunk driving, "h

Post by matt_melb » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:27 am

strife wrote:
temporaryhandle2 wrote:
strife wrote:You can't even spell habeas corpus, and poo-poo the importance of having written laws. Yeah, to call you a lightweight would be to exaggerate your legal wattage.

You're not much of a lawyer, are you? Apparently there's no case law in the Un8ted States. No judicial determination. No court system.

Just a lot of people who spend years learning how to fill in forms.

Case law is written.

Case law is often referred to in Australia as 'unwritten law'.

To take a random example, section 20(1) of the Australian Consumer Law:
A person must not, in trade or commerce, engage in conduct that is unconscionable, within the meaning of the unwritten law from time to time.

I think this is nuts, because (as you point out) case law does get written down if written judgements are provided or the case is reported. However, it is the way our Commonwealth legislature chooses to describe it.

(That is, TH is right and you are wrong, at least as far as Australia is concerned.)

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:31 am

I was never breathalyzed in my life. I drive for the last 25 years. Daily.
You only get one turn on this merry-go-round of life. Chase your happiness. -Nines

temporaryhandle2
Stew Ingredient

Post by temporaryhandle2 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:42 am

matt_melb wrote:Case law is often referred to in Australia as 'unwritten law'.

A person must not, in trade or commerce, engage in conduct that is unconscionable, within the meaning of the unwritten law from time to time.

I think this is nuts, because (as you point out) case law does get written down if written judgements are provided or the case is reported. However, it is the way our Commonwealth legislature chooses to describe it.

(That is, TH is right and you are wrong, at least as far as Australia is concerned.)

The stupidness of the argument that if it isn't written down it isn't law or it is somehow not "real" law, is more than that. There are many prerogatives that are part of both the British Constitution and the Australian AND US legal systems. The fact that one or two of them were included in the written US Constitution or the Australian Constitution for that matter, does not make the ones that were'nt, invalid.

I can understand mutha not understanding that, but Felix should if he is a lawyer as he claims.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:02 am

temporaryhandle2 wrote:
matt_melb wrote:Case law is often referred to in Australia as 'unwritten law'.

The stupidness of the argument that if it isn't written down it isn't law or it is somehow not "real" law, is more than that. There are many prerogatives that are part of both the British Constitution and the Australian AND US legal systems. The fact that one or two of them were included in the written US Constitution or the Australian Constitution for that matter, does not make the ones that were'nt, invalid.

I can understand mutha not understanding that, but Felix should if he is a lawyer as he claims.
snigger.
Anyone can go by horse or rail, but the absolute best way to travel is by hat.

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:10 am

temporaryhandle2 wrote:I can understand mutha not understanding that, but Felix should if he is a lawyer as he claims

Maybe he were'nt.

andybox
Stew Ingredient

Post by andybox » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:21 am

Lost Soul wrote:Whereas in Australia, if the government says do something, you do. Meekly.

It's very Third Reichian.

Hitler secretly wanted to be an Aussie.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:28 am

erkat wrote:It's interesting - mutha first said the 4 pints over 2 - 3 hours, which could easily have him hovering near the Australian limit, and on some days may have him over it.
But when he doesn't like the idea of being called out on that he changed to drinking it definitely over 3 hours.

Sorry mate, still not wanting to get in a car with you.

Awww... that hurts! Anyway, my first comment was pretty offhand so I thought about it more given all the pearl clutching. But I get it, this is the stew so putting some thought into something and revising your statement is Not Allowed. I also have no idea why I should care what the Australian limit is.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:30 am

Also, why is temp handling gibbering about me and unwritten laws or the validity of Australian law?

temporaryhandle2
Stew Ingredient

Post by temporaryhandle2 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:33 am

muthafunky wrote:Also, why is temp handling gibbering about me and unwritten laws or the validity of Australian law?

I understand you don't get it, honey. It's OK. I am sure you look very clever to the consumers of Blitzed Bedazzled.

guruwil
vegemite flavored maple syrup

Post by guruwil » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:34 am

Lost Soul wrote:Fantastic!

The strawman generating church lady has gone overboard four times in one post. Can you do five, you utter tool?

You really are very thick aren’t you?
An it harm none, do what ye will

We are all Atheists about most gods, some of us just go one god further.
judik wrote:Guruwil was right!!!
jono_in_adelaide wrote:I think Guru is right on this one
“shunter” wrote: I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Guru is bang on the money here.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:35 am

I understand you don't get it, honey. It's OK. I am sure you look very clever to the consumers of Blitzed Bedazzled.

Well it’s true I don’t get why you’re including me in topics I haven’t posted about. I do understand now why you’re touchy about Australian law given you’re a.. ahem... lawyer.

temporaryhandle2
Stew Ingredient

Post by temporaryhandle2 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:39 am

You get testy when your trolls backfire on you, don't you?

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:40 am

The defense rests!

erkat
Stew Ingredient

Post by erkat » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:45 am

muthafunky wrote:
erkat wrote:It's interesting - mutha first said the 4 pints over 2 - 3 hours, which could easily have him hovering near the Australian limit, and on some days may have him over it.
But when he doesn't like the idea of being called out on that he changed to drinking it definitely over 3 hours.

Sorry mate, still not wanting to get in a car with you.

Awww... that hurts! Anyway, my first comment was pretty offhand so I thought about it more given all the pearl clutching. But I get it, this is the stew so putting some thought into something and revising your statement is Not Allowed. I also have no idea why I should care what the Australian limit is.

I mentioned the Australian limit because being Australian that's what I'm used to and how I'd calculate whether to drive or be driven by someone. So my original post was based on those calculations, and not wanting to be driven by someone who'd be hovering around the limit.

Shavenhead
Stew Ingredient

Post by Shavenhead » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:46 am

veronica_inheels wrote:I was never breathalyzed in my life. I drive for the last 25 years. Daily.

Neither have I Veronica. That's not to say I haven't been stopped for driving pissed.

I've always played my get out of jail free card. That usually does the trick.
"Don't be attracted to easy paths because the paths that make your feet bleed are the only way to get ahead in life" Saddam Hussein

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:54 am

The only time I was breathalyzed I blew under the legal limit and the cop took me to jail anyway. Prick.

andybox
Stew Ingredient

Post by andybox » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:05 am

Guns will solve Amerigggun drink driving deaths. Open carry in the front seat and blow the tyres out of any possible issue between the bar and Home.

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:19 am

shilgia wrote:
simon_in_exile wrote:But what really made me realise that it's the chance of getting caught that impacts behaviour was when I lived in Borneo: many (but by no means all) of the straight-laced zero-tolerance HSSE-spouting professionals by day would regularly drink and drive in the evening - Malaysians, Brits, Australians, Dutch, Americans. No traffic police, no consequences, and the ingrained social model breaks down in under a year.

Wow. Maybe I'm cynical, but this also makes me wonder whether people care less when the people they might hit with their car are foreign (to them); whether it is more of a deterrent to a Canadian (say) to think that other Canadians might get hurt than when the potential victims are Borneans (or whatever people from Borneo are called).

The people they'd have a chance of hitting are called Malaysians. Or co-workers, or friends. And a few of them (Malaysian friends) were (and are) a lot worse. I know people who couldn't remember getting home - not cool, I'd get a taxi and tell them to do the same. Sometimes they listen. But this is the result of no consequences for some people - it's demoralising.
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:36 am

It’s the same in the Philippines. Everyone drives drunk. I’ve seen security guards help people who could barely walk into the driver seats of their cars after leaving bars.

rosstralia
Stew Ingredient

Post by rosstralia » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:03 am

When I was in Nepal in 2000 I did Anapurna Circuit. On the bus to the start of the trail I saw a smash involving a bus. The driver looked like he had a triple Muthafunky session on the grog. The idiot could hardly stand. My guide told me that police will settle the dispute between the two parties involved. The pisshead driver will have to pay compo then he can go and drive the bus again while hes still shitfaced.
The poster below is a moron

desertstorm
Stew Ingredient

Post by desertstorm » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:41 am

Everybody is doing it so why can't I?

It's as much about the possibility of legal punishment as well as social norm, even if you are proven beyond scientific doubt that you are that one in a million person who will not have your driving skill impaired by significant amount of alcohol consumption/significant higher amount of alcohol in your body, you don't want to sustain the social norm of 'nothing would go wrong most of the time' or 'I can drink more than others and it's mostly shit drivers that are drunk shit drivers'.

If you think the current legal alcohol consumption limit is too strict or ineffective in your country, make a case with valid arguments why it should be changed for everyone.

rezuar
Stew Ingredient

Post by rezuar » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:51 am

Vodd wrote:To get in a car and drive after 4 pints is just madness.

Nope, Vodd.
It’s FREEDOM, apparently.
Keep an open mind but not so open your brain falls out.

Flobster!
Stew Ingredient

Post by Flobster! » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:57 am

strife wrote:I can see nicking someone like OneBall after a wine cooler, but most of us women and gay homosexuals can handle a drink without barfing all over the pool.

Of course it doesn't work like that. Whether or not you're nicked (fined, actually) depends entirely on your BAC.
The pies and sausage rolls are good in Australia - Iolar

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:01 am

You don’t go to jail for DUI in Australia?

Flobster!
Stew Ingredient

Post by Flobster! » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:13 am

No, basically. There might will be circumstances where repeat offenders do. It's easy to lose your licence, though.

Iolar
Stew Ingredient

Post by Iolar » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:27 am

But what really made me realise that it's the chance of getting caught that impacts behaviour was when I lived in Borneo: many (but by no means all) of the straight-laced zero-tolerance HSSE-spouting professionals by day would regularly drink and drive in the evening - Malaysians, Brits, Australians, Dutch, Americans. No traffic police, no consequences, and the ingrained social model breaks down in under a year.

I would agree with this.

When road safety is more developed in the US, driving under the influence of alcohol will be a taboo there, too.

The arguments about blood alcohol limits are a bit silly. After one unit of alcohol, your senses are impaired. If I am drinking alcohol, I just don't drive - it doesn't matter what the limit is. But it's a social taboo here nowadays, not just something punishable by law.

Cue Mutha and his infantile machismo - "I can drink". Well, moron, your senses are impaired (you're not a genius to begin with) and you're a danger to yourself and others when you get into a vehicle having consumed four pints over a two hour period.
I like big quotes and I cannot lie

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:28 am

Do they send you home in a cab or tow your car or anything, Flobster?

Flobster!
Stew Ingredient

Post by Flobster! » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:29 am

No idea. They don't let you drive.

guruwil

Post by guruwil » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:40 am

EMG wrote:Do they send you home in a cab or tow your car or anything, Flobster?

Nope, your car is left by the road and you have to figure out your own way home. You are arrested for the purpose of the formal breathalyzer test, you are charged if you are over and then you can go but have to appear in court. If you are low range you license is not immediately cancelled until you appear in court. If mid or high range your license is suspended until your court appearance.

“shunter” wrote: I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Guru is bang on the money here.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:44 am

That’s pretty nice.

In the US you get booked and your car gets towed. In my case once even when I was unfree the legal limit. So I spent over $1000 on bail, tow company, lawyer, just to have the case dismissed that never should have been a case at all.

It’s a stupid system

Iolar
Stew Ingredient

Post by Iolar » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:47 am

It’s a stupid system

It's the price of FREEDOM. Those of us in less free countries are envious of your FREEDOM.
I like big quotes and I cannot lie

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:06 am

We know you are. That’s why we accept it.

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:26 pm

rosstralia wrote: BTW Merika (10.6 per 100000) has almost twice the amount of road deaths per capita as Australia (5.4 per 100000). So the number of pisshead related fatalities per capita is about double. Looks like Yanks might benefit from stronger policing of drink driving.

The major factor causing that difference is that we simply have to drive more than you guys do. You got to understand that in order to maintain our position as the world's preeminent economic, military, and cultural superstar, and keep all you assholes seething with jealousy, we have to get a certain amount of shit done around here. And that involves a certain amount of driving. If we were a bunch of dole-bludging layabouts like you guys are, then we wouldn't crash nearly as much because we wouldn't be driving around doing shit all the time.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:53 pm

Steve_in_Exile wrote:
rosstralia wrote: BTW Merika (10.6 per 100000) has almost twice the amount of road deaths per capita as Australia (5.4 per 100000). So the number of pisshead related fatalities per capita is about double. Looks like Yanks might benefit from stronger policing of drink driving.

The major factor causing that difference is that we simply have to drive more than you guys do. You got to understand that in order to maintain our position as the world's preeminent economic, military, and cultural superstar, and keep all you assholes seething with jealousy, we have to get a certain amount of shit done around here. And that involves a certain amount of driving. If we were a bunch of dole-bludging layabouts like you guys are, then we wouldn't crash nearly as much because we wouldn't be driving around doing shit all the time.

How are you going to stay on top if you keep needing to scrape people off the road more than any other country? You see the problem right?
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Shavenhead
Stew Ingredient

Post by Shavenhead » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:57 pm

Come to think of it, I did once have to suck on a breathalyzer some years ago.

I met some wild women in the Colour Bar in Joburg who forced me to drink staggering amounts of tequila.

I decided to try and sneak under the wire, but got ambushed by a cop a few blocks away. The cop reckoned I may have clocked up a world record after reading the device.

Luckily I had 200 Rand in my wallet, otherwise I may have spent the rest of the weekend being repeatedly gang raped by members of the Hard Livings gang in the Hillbrow holding cells.
"Don't be attracted to easy paths because the paths that make your feet bleed are the only way to get ahead in life" Saddam Hussein

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:04 pm

Good name for a gang.

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:07 pm

eric84 wrote:How are you going to stay on top if you keep needing to scrape people off the road more than any other country? You see the problem right?

At least when we do crash, we don't have to stand in line for medical care like you guys do.

rosstralia
Stew Ingredient

Post by rosstralia » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:50 pm

Steve_in_Exile wrote:

In case you missed it the first time EMG brought up the par capital argument not me. I just gave correct figures for it. As for road death per kilometre being a better method to judge things I'd say it probably is. Although I'm pretty scepticle that there would be linear increase in accidents with kilometres driven. There is a big difference in risk in driving a kilometre in different situations such a high speed road that is seperated to non seperated. I'd also expect that people who drive more should be better drivers through experience. Theres probably a whole host of other factors to take into consideration like road conditions, weather, vehicle standards, driving regulations, health care standards, etc. Some of these would probably favour Merika having lower road death rate than us.

So despite being far more experienced drivers, Merika's driving standard is still worse than Australia regardless of whether they are pissed or not (you lot seemed to be too drunk to tell if you are actually drunk) even if this dodgy linear accident per kilometre theory is correct.
The poster below is a moron

eric84

Post by eric84 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:55 pm

Steve_in_Exile wrote:
eric84 wrote:How are you going to stay on top if you keep needing to scrape people off the road more than any other country? You see the problem right?

At least when we do crash, we don't have to stand in line for medical care like you guys do.

Unless you're bringing people back from the dead, that's not going to help you a great deal.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:36 pm

What a glorious thread! So much stupid in so many posts, well done stew!
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:11 pm

No problem, Moe. Happy to do my part.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:24 pm

Not sure what was more idiotic here: Amerikkkan innumeracy or their claims that they drive better when drinking.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:41 pm

You have no friends.

Ever wonder why?
I am Stalking you.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:49 pm

You have friends?

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:53 pm

Nonresponsive.
I am Stalking you.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:56 pm

No, I don't ever wonder why I have no friends on stew. Now tell me about your friends here.

Butterfingers
Stew Ingredient

Post by Butterfingers » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:10 pm

Moethebartender wrote:What a glorious thread! So much stupid in so many posts, well done stew!

Agreed.

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:09 am

eric84 wrote:Not sure what was more idiotic here: Amerikkkan innumeracy or their claims that they drive better when drinking.

I play pool better after a few drinks - less thinking, more just going with the shot. Maybe it's the same with driving?

guruwil

Post by guruwil » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:14 am

simon_in_exile wrote:
eric84 wrote:Not sure what was more idiotic here: Amerikkkan innumeracy or their claims that they drive better when drinking.

I play pool better after a few drinks - less thinking, more just going with the shot. Maybe it's the same with driving?

No it’s not. Again well proven.

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:23 am

A sarcasm font would work wonders in this place.