We all just beat around the bush about drunk driving, "haha"

The Richard Allan Bodine Lounge... have a drink and talk about whatever you'd like

Moderator: Moderator

eric84

Re: We all just beat around the bush about drunk driving, "h

Post by eric84 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:25 pm

Steve_in_Exile wrote:
eric84 wrote:The US is still 40% higher than Australia on a per km rate, alas.

True, but at least we've factored out the biggest cause of the difference in overall per person death rate, and we're a little closer to the truth than we were. And that 40% still isn't necessarily due to drunk driving alone. In fact it's probably not, given the 31 percent to 30 percent figures.

True, it's also about not using seat belts. But it's clearly BS to suggest that your accident rate is because you drive more, as you suggested.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:31 pm

eric84 wrote:But it's clearly BS to suggest that your accident rate is because you drive more, as you suggested

The per capita accident rates that Rosstralia cited didn't factor out the fact that we drive more miles per capita, and I was absolutely correct to point out that miles driven per person should be factored out. I agree that we are still left with a 40% difference that needs explaining, but we are closer to the truth than the 100% difference Rosstralia was suggesting.
Differences in miles driven doesn't explain the entire difference in per capita death rates, but it explains a hell of a lot of it.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:49 pm

It's pretty clear that there are several, preventable factors that explain why the US has a higher accident rate but, yes, Amerikkkans need to drive less and use more public transportation.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:51 pm

shilgia wrote:There must be huge variation in the effect of alcohol on someone's body.

For sure. My wife is like you- it’s easy for her to get drunk after one glass of wine. Size and gender make a big difference. By the way, my post was 4 pints in 2-3 hours and really if I think about it, it’s probably always more like 3 hours. Meet at 430-500 and leave at 730-800.

Vodd
Stew Ingredient

Post by Vodd » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:58 pm

To get in a car and drive after 4 pints is just madness.
They tire of quiet, that have known the storm.

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:02 pm

eric84 wrote:It's pretty clear that there are several, preventable factors that explain why the US has a higher accident rate but, yes, Amerikkkans need to drive less and use more public transportation

Thanks for your concern for us, Eric. I would also like to express my concern about the high rate of alcohol related traffic deaths in Canada....

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/niallmccarthy/files/2016/08/20160709_Drunk_Driving.jpg
Last edited by Steve_in_Exile on Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:05 pm

Yup, it's too high. See, I don't need to wagon circle.

desertstorm
Stew Ingredient

Post by desertstorm » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:06 pm

Unless we can accurately measure how well individuals react to the effect of alcohol together with many other variable factors, or else we want most people making up their own 'acceptable' alcohol limit for driving (I bet 95% would think they are better than average). I don't think the knowledge of people react differently to alcohol consumption is very useful regarding legal control on alcohol consumption in traffic.

I am very self righteous or church lady or violent or whatever about drunk driving, every time I hear someone doing it or talking light of it, I have the urge to punch him/her repeatedly.
Last edited by desertstorm on Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:08 pm

Yes, I recall past threads where stewbies confidently asserting that drinking doesn't affect their driving skills despite all evidence to the contrary.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:29 pm

I know this is the Stew but I’d guess most of humanity lies somewhere between “drinking anything at all and driving is horrible” to “no amount of alcohol affects my driving”

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:43 pm

Flobster! wrote:Your constitution is simply a set of laws. They can be and have been changed.

If you don’t see a difference between “a law” and a right granted in the constitution you really know a lot less about the country you obsess over than I’d thought.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:48 pm

It appears cops can still kill unarmed black men for police checks so at least that's safe....

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:52 pm

eric84 wrote:It appears cops can still kill unarmed black men for police checks so at least that's safe....

This is why you have No Friends, No Own Life.
I am Stalking you.

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:53 pm

It's amusing that Canadians, with a 34% alcohol related accident death rate, and Australians with a 30% alcohol related accident death rate choose to lay into Americans on this issue for our 31% alcohol related accident death rate. Why don't you guys worry about your own fucking countries for once.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:59 pm

I do worry about it. But we weren't talking about it at this moment. Why always this need to be defensive when discussing areas where the US does poorly?

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:05 pm

eric84 wrote:Why always this need to be defensive when discussing areas where the US does poorly?

The more relevant question would be why do you guys have a need to be offensive towards the US in areas where you guys do just about equally poorly?

eric84 wrote:It appears cops can still kill unarmed black men for police checks so at least that's safe....

Right, so it's about attacking the US, not about drunk driving at all. We get it.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:08 pm

We have 2 levels of DUI here in Ontario:

Level 1 is 0.05 % - 72 hr. suspension with 178.00 fine.
Level 2 is 0.08% - Mandatory education or treatment program
1 year minimum requirement to drive a car equipped with an ignition interlock device
No minimum jail sentence
$1,000 fine
Licence suspended for minimum 1 year*

Police (thankfully) have discresion to charge you with a Level 1 even if you blow a level 2 as intoxication varies by person to person.
My cop buddies told me anything over a 0.11 and they wont budge.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:10 pm

I'm an excellent drunk driver, but every time I drive drunk things seem to crash into my vehicle.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:13 pm

EMG wrote:I'm an excellent drunk driver, but every time I drive drunk things seem to crash into my vehicle.

I was always much more cautious, strictly obeying all other traffic laws. The one time I got dinged, it was for sleeping in the back seat.
I am Stalking you.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:14 pm

Steve_in_Exile wrote:
eric84 wrote:Why always this need to be defensive when discussing areas where the US does poorly?

The more relevant question would be why do you guys have a need to be offensive towards the US in areas where you guys do just about equally poorly?

Right, so it's about attacking the US, not about drunk driving at all. We get it.

Just about? No, you're doing 40% worse than Australia. That's not 'just about'.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:14 pm

strife wrote:
EMG wrote:I'm an excellent drunk driver, but every time I drive drunk things seem to crash into my vehicle.

I was always much more cautious, strictly obeying all other traffic laws. The one time I got dinged, it was for sleeping in the back seat.

Classic example of someone who thinks alcohol doesn't affect how they drive.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:17 pm

strife wrote:

I was Terrible. How I was never convicted of drunk driving is incredible.

I was charged with it twice.

truenic
Stew Ingredient

Post by truenic » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:22 pm

I took 3 cabs this weekend, one involved leaving my car behind, the other I took transit to get there, if that gives anyone and indication of what I think about drinking and driving.

1 6 oz glass of wine would make me over the limit, I feel. So there's not much point in my having 1 drink and then driving. I just don't do it.

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:29 pm

Iolar wrote:I like the Nordic/Scandinavian system of fining people based on their earnings.

Me too. I think Switzerland does the same.
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:32 pm

Tru points out another issue with drunk driving.
Many people don't want to leave their car overnight in lots of places.
In AZ its common but here at Christmas/New Years we have the red nose campaign, where 2 people are involved.
One drives your car home with you in it and one follows to take the driver back to the bar.
It's a great idea.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

shilgia
Stew Ingredient

Post by shilgia » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:49 pm

Yet another problem that will be solved by self-driving cars!

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:56 pm

shilgia wrote:Yet another problem that will be solved by self-driving cars!

Until the hackers get involved, then look out for carnage.

It's like they new about this when the word 'carnage' was invented long ago.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:03 pm

shilgia wrote:Yet another problem that will be solved by self-driving cars!

One of the reasons that the liquor companies are supporting these intiatives financially.

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:06 pm

eric84 wrote:Just about? No, you're doing 40% worse than Australia. That's not 'just about'

The 40% figure was for all causes of traffic accident related deaths. This thread is about drunk driving.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:07 pm

Living so far in the city and with Uber and Lyft so easy to use, we don't bother with designated drivers or worrying about leaving cars places if we're going to drink a lot.

One time, probably 10 years ago or so, I drove to a company event party just planning to say hello. I ended up staying all night and got wasted. I took a cab home thinking I'd just get up early to get my car. It turns out I'd left it in a load zone that becomes a no park zone at 7am and this was my Jeep which was parked with the top down. I jumped on a bus downtown at 7:30 expecting to either have my car towed or a homeless guy sleeping in the back seat, but there it sat untouched. No one even took the change out of the console or my CDs that were sitting on the passenger seat.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:08 pm

Steve_in_Exile wrote:
eric84 wrote:Just about? No, you're doing 40% worse than Australia. That's not 'just about'

The 40% figure was for all causes of traffic accident related deaths. This thread is about drunk driving.

Innumeracy is a sad affliction.

Hillary! is 12% ahead!
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

eric84

Post by eric84 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:40 pm

Steve_in_Exile wrote:

We already know you have a similar proportion of fatalities due to drinking so yes, you have many more deaths due to drinking and driving in the US compared to Australia.

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:55 pm

I'd like to think no one I know drinks and drives, but that's just not true. A couple of months ago, I went to a picnic with a not so close friend of mine and our three kids. We ate some food and drank two gin and tonics and a glass of wine each and then she drove us home. I would have never expected that from her, but there you have it.
Not to mention that guy I spent a weekend with a few months ago, who drank three beers and a shot of something strong with dinner on Sunday and then drove back to Verona.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:19 pm

I would have had no social life as a teen had I not drinked and drived.
"Beat around the bush" indeed. Nothing bad happened.

The innumerate mockery of rosstralia's posts is indeed embarrassing - for the Americans partaking.

If you have an equal percentage of fatalities ascribed to alcohol use, but a much greater percentage of fatalities overall, then you do indeed have a greater percentage overall due to alcohol. On this, even Eric is correct.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:24 pm

It’s tragic that so few of you have good locals to walk to.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

http://www.officialmikepence.com

guruwil
vegemite flavored maple syrup

Post by guruwil » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:30 pm

30,31,34. I don’t think there are any real bragging rights here but the “I drive better when I’ve had a few drinks” thing is quite disturbing. The science says you don’t, as much as you think you do, and that attititude kills and maims people. Drinking and getting home is what Uber/taxi/train/bus etc is for, use it or don’t drink, and as I outlined, in detail, before the calculators are only a rough guide and assume your drinks are standard etc, there are so many personal and other variables that pushing the edges of the limits is irresponsible. Make no mistake you are impaired at .05 .08 even if you don’t feel it, add some fatigue on top of that etc and you are very impaired.

Call me a church lady.
An it harm none, do what ye will

We are all Atheists about most gods, some of us just go one god further.
judik wrote:Guruwil was right!!!
jono_in_adelaide wrote:I think Guru is right on this one
“shunter” wrote: I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Guru is bang on the money here.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:31 pm

DCComic wrote:It’s tragic that so few of you have good locals to walk to.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/soci ... 0903051623

guruwil
vegemite flavored maple syrup

Post by guruwil » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:35 pm

GLimpet wrote:I would have had no social life as a teen had I not drinked and drived.

The innumerate mockery of rosstralia's posts is indeed embarrassing - for the Americans partaking.

If you have an equal percentage of fatalities ascribed to alcohol use, but a much greater percentage of fatalities overall, then you do indeed have a greater percentage overall due to alcohol. On this, even Eric is correct.

The numbers show half the number of alcohol related crashes and 50% more fatalities in the bush. You were just lucky.

And knowing what goes on in the bush pretty well from experience I am betting that the half the number of crashes figure is not accurate but that a large number which don’t involve a death or another car go unreported, and even quite a few involving another car go unreported.
An it harm none, do what ye will

We are all Atheists about most gods, some of us just go one god further.
judik wrote:Guruwil was right!!!
jono_in_adelaide wrote:I think Guru is right on this one
“shunter” wrote: I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Guru is bang on the money here.

desertstorm
Stew Ingredient

Post by desertstorm » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:01 pm

I didn't have a driving license, nor a car to drive, when I was a teen.

The quality of my social life also didn't/doesn't quite depend on the amount of drinking.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:50 pm

guruwil wrote:
GLimpet wrote:I would have had no social life as a teen had I not drinked and drived.

The numbers show half the number of alcohol related crashes and 50% more fatalities in the bush. You were just lucky.

And knowing what goes on in the bush pretty well from experience I am betting that the half the number of crashes figure is not accurate but that a large number which don’t involve a death or another car go unreported, and even quite a few involving another car go unreported.

The people who drove badly when drunk were the same who drove badly when sober, just worse.

Did your stats and bush knowing non-stats tell you that?

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:53 pm

muthafunky wrote:Living so far in the city and with Uber and Lyft so easy to use, we don't bother with designated drivers or worrying about leaving cars places if we're going to drink a lot.

One time, probably 10 years ago or so, I drove to a company event party just planning to say hello. I ended up staying all night and got wasted. I took a cab home thinking I'd just get up early to get my car. It turns out I'd left it in a load zone that becomes a no park zone at 7am and this was my Jeep which was parked with the top down. I jumped on a bus downtown at 7:30 expecting to either have my car towed or a homeless guy sleeping in the back seat, but there it sat untouched. No one even took the change out of the console or my CDs that were sitting on the passenger seat.

They probably thought such an open invitation must be some type of police sting operation

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:15 pm

used to drink in The Elliot hotel in the middle of the northern territory when living 20 km up the road from there working for a fencing contractor..

The local cops all pretty much spent their off duty time at the bar there too, one evening me and the boss had been in there , along with the local head cop, several hours, drinking muchly, and it was late and time to leave.

Boss said "seeyalater" to the cop, at the other end of the bar, as we walked, staggered, out the door, jumped in the Toyota Ute parked pretty much just outside within sight of the bar, started it up, and drove the 20 ks back to camp..

Needless to say (white people) drink driving wasn't a police priority in Elliot ..

rosstralia
Stew Ingredient

Post by rosstralia » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:01 pm

Steve_in_Exile wrote:Rosstralia, for starters, you should be using the death rate per km driven. A lot of the reason we have a higher accident death rate on a per person basis is that we drive more than you guys do. The per km stats are available on the link you provided, and it would make sense to use those stats.

I didnt bring up per capita EMG did. I'm just giving the correct figures.
The poster below is a moron

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:06 pm

GLimpet wrote:The people who drove badly when drunk were the same who drove badly when sober, just worse.

Did your stats and bush knowing non-stats tell you that?

That's straight up bullshit.

I only have to look at one family (my cousins) to be really triggered by "nothing bad happened". On my cousin's grad night he and his girlfriend were sitting around a bonfire when someone drove up to the site, loaded. He thought it would be funny to screech to a halt right behind the couple, but hit the gas instead of the brake. My cousin got out of the way somehow but his girlfriend was dragged by the car, face first through the fire.

Same cousin a couple years later was driving home to his small town from the bigger city (only 30 kms on a straight road). He was the one drunk this time, and he caused the accident that killed his passenger and gave himself a serious head injury.

He wasn't a bad driver when sober.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:07 pm

I'm paranoid about it here so I limit myself to a few, but I think that the traffic problem in Melbourne has become so egregious that I never see roadside stops anymore.

The only time I got breath-tested I was making a cheap delivery to the US and followed by the cops out of the building. They pulled me over for nothing (not uncommon here) asked me a bunch of questions and gave me a breath test at 10 on a fucking Wednesday morning! They also asked me about the baseball bat I have in the passenger seat (in case some methhead gets in my grill about the wrong they've done to me but can't admit (also not uncommon here). With the amount of lacrosse gear and other sporting equipment that I have in the car (and being an obv. seppo) they bought that argument.

I suspect that they pulled me over because I was a dodgy looking whitey in a predominantly Chinese area and they thought I was a drug dealer. Still pissed me off though.

By the way, I've been told by many a Victorian that one open beer in a car is legal in this state. I found out recently that it wasn't so.

Flobster!
Stew Ingredient

Post by Flobster! » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:22 pm

muthafunky wrote:
Flobster! wrote:Your constitution is simply a set of laws. They can be and have been changed.

If you don’t see a difference between “a law” and a right granted in the constitution you really know a lot less about the country you obsess over than I’d thought.

We aren't talking about A law, we are talking about THE law. And yes, your constitution is a set of laws, which include instructions on how to legally change them.

But despite your faith in your constitution's inviolability, habeas corpus has been suspended in the US as recently as WWII, on a whim of the president. As it has in the UK and, arguably, Australia.
The pies and sausage rolls are good in Australia - Iolar

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:45 pm

misanthrope wrote:I'm paranoid about it here so I limit myself to a few, but I think that the traffic problem in Melbourne has become so egregious that I never see roadside stops anymore.

Ummm, they had the entire outbound lanes of the south eastern freeway closed off on Friday night with a booze and drug testing bus.

The only time I got breath-tested I was making a cheap delivery to the US and followed by the cops out of the building. They pulled me over for nothing (not uncommon here) asked me a bunch of questions and gave me a breath test at 10 on a fucking Wednesday morning! They also asked me about the baseball bat I have in the passenger seat (in case some methhead gets in my grill about the wrong they've done to me but can't admit (also not uncommon here).

Translation please?

I suspect that they pulled me over because I was a dodgy looking whitey in a predominantly Chinese area and they thought I was a drug dealer. Still pissed me off though.

Never happens to me in Box Hill, and stew consensus is of got a dodgy as haircut..

By the way, I've been told by many a Victorian that one open beer in a car is legal in this state. I found out recently that it wasn't so.

Passengers are fine to have a beer, I am under the impression that a driver isn't allowed to be drinking alcohol while actually driving though.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:30 am

And yes, your constitution is a set of laws, which include instructions on how to legally change them.

Yes, and you're clueless if you think it's as easy to change the federal constitution as it is to change state and federal law not enshrined in the constitution.

Flobster!
Stew Ingredient

Post by Flobster! » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:35 am

I've specifically said that already.
The pies and sausage rolls are good in Australia - Iolar

temporaryhandle2
Stew Ingredient

Post by temporaryhandle2 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:38 am

muthafunky wrote:
And yes, your constitution is a set of laws, which include instructions on how to legally change them.

Yes, and you're clueless if you think it's as easy to change the federal constitution as it is to change state and federal law not enshrined in the constitution.

And you are clueless if you think "writing down" a law makes it "better".

Stick to inventing free games for phones, mutha.