Black Panther trailer

The Richard Allan Bodine Lounge... have a drink and talk about whatever you'd like

Moderator: Moderator

Fred Garvin
Male Prostitute

Black Panther trailer

Post by Fred Garvin » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:57 pm

How many times have you watched it?
americanjoe needs to stop eating fortune cookies - tph24601

Bachelor # 1 looks like he knows how to do laundry, and wipes his ass properly. - Chip_Oatley

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Re: Black Panther trailer

Post by Chi_Rup » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:41 pm

rider5
Stew Ingredient

Post by rider5 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:40 pm

Is this more comic book crap?

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:16 pm

rider5 wrote:Is this more comic book crap?

Looks like it. Comic-book movies suck flobster.
I am Stalking you.

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:40 pm

Was anyone thinking Nascarfan was creaming his jeans over something highbrow?
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.

TheRedWoman
Stew Ingredient

Post by TheRedWoman » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:42 pm

Yes!!!!! They can take my money...I am a Marvel fan. I do like some DC stuff. If they can get rid of Ben Afflec I can get back on the Batman and Justice League bandwagon.
Vron: "I wouldn't crush you under my heel Seamus. The smell"

"I believe you. You seem like more of a bukake girl. :P" - SeAnusMcStool

Ernie Squirkins
Stew Ingredient

Post by Ernie Squirkins » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:35 pm

He appears to have the same super powers as everyone else in these shitty movies, but he's black and not a sidekick! A new twist on a boring as shit movie genre.

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:43 pm

I’ve heard the production design is awesome. I’ll watch it, the rule is that the Marvel ones are entertaining but the DC ones aren’t, is that correct?

TheRedWoman
Stew Ingredient

Post by TheRedWoman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:55 pm

Chi_Rup wrote:I’ve heard the production design is awesome. I’ll watch it, the rule is that the Marvel ones are entertaining but the DC ones aren’t, is that correct?

Marvel is almost always better (except the Batman where Christian Bale was Batman in all 3, those were top notch). Watch a Marvel movie say, the first and 2nd Avenger vs say Batman vs Superman Dawn of Justice and you'll see the difference. I have the admit Iron Man 3 was shitty and bad story line and I wish Gywn Paltrow would go away.

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:11 pm

I managed about 10 minutes of Avengers 2, really ugly film. But I loved Guardians of the Galaxy and the anew THOR movie seems like a comedy from the trailer, which is smart move!

I like my comics, grew up on 2000AD which at its best had the sort of crazy visual sense you find in Marvel and French comics like Moebius.

Zack Snyder on the other hand I cannot understand how someone so artistically incompetent has landed the job of looking after DC and how it looks to this generation. It really baffles me.

rider5
Stew Ingredient

Post by rider5 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:23 pm

The only comic book I read was Mad Magazine. It was awesome.

TheRedWoman
Stew Ingredient

Post by TheRedWoman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:26 pm

The first Guardian was great, ( I love Groot). It was funny, good action. The 2nd one was a bit over the top though I did enjoy Kurt Russel.

I didn't think the Thor movies were all that great- this one looks awesome from the trailer but I will wait and see.

I am waiting for the Infinity Wars :-)

Snyder is an idiot. They need to hire Joss Whedon now that he is no longer doing Marvel films.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:27 pm

I saw a documentary about the Black Panthers a couple of months ago. It was pretty good. I thought this thread as going to be about that.

TheRedWoman
Stew Ingredient

Post by TheRedWoman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:34 pm

VinnyD wrote:I saw a documentary about the Black Panthers a couple of months ago. It was pretty good. I thought this thread as going to be about that.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:26 pm

Trailer:

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:31 pm

It's an excellent documentary.

Stan Lee and Jack Kirby created The Black Panther character in 1966, so it is a nod to real life. Incredibly clever man, Stan Lee.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater
Trustigious

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:30 pm

Directed by the same guy who made Fruitvale Station and Creed.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater
Trustigious

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:36 pm

TheRedWoman wrote:
Snyder is an idiot. They need to hire Joss Whedon now that he is no longer doing Marvel films.

He took over for Snyder when he had some family issues come up and has reportedly done A LOT of reshoots on Justice League.

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Post by Annotated » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:00 pm

They're all BLACK!

Actually, it will be interesting to see how this does as I'm guessing it isn't a typical Black movie about Black culture aimed at a Black audience.

Aren't people tired of these comic book movies yet?
Stay Woke

TheRedWoman
Stew Ingredient

Post by TheRedWoman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:03 pm

Annotated wrote:They're all BLACK!

Actually, it will be interesting to see how this does as I'm guessing it isn't a typical Black movie about Black culture aimed at a Black audience.

Aren't people tired of these comic book movies yet?

I suspect you know little about the Marvel-verse.

The Black Panther graphic novels have done very well. I imagine without that, they wouldn't have made the movie. Also, you underestimate rabid fans/nerds.

Agent009
Stew Ingredient

Post by Agent009 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:04 pm

TheRedWoman wrote:Snyder is an idiot. They need to hire Joss Whedon now that he is no longer doing Marvel films.

They did, joss was brought in to finish/fix/redo justice league after snyder stepped down, or was told to pi55 orf, not really sure which it was.

Black panther loooks goood, as does the new thor/hulk movie.
Choose my bluest tape and unlock my car
An honest tune with a lingering lead has taken me this far

TheRedWoman
Stew Ingredient

Post by TheRedWoman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:05 pm

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
TheRedWoman wrote:

He took over for Snyder when he had some family issues come up and has reportedly done A LOT of reshoots on Justice League.

I LOVE Joss Whedon's work. If anyone can fix the mess that is Justice League, it will be him.

TheRedWoman
Stew Ingredient

Post by TheRedWoman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:07 pm

Agent009 wrote:
TheRedWoman wrote:Snyder is an idiot. They need to hire Joss Whedon now that he is no longer doing Marvel films.

They did, joss was brought in to finish/fix/redo justice league after snyder stepped down, or was told to pi55 orf, not really sure which it was.

Black panther loooks goood, as does the new thor/hulk movie.

I haven't been paying attention to the new Thor movie but if Hulk's in it, it's going to be amazing and funny. Hulk has great one liners.

Agent009
Stew Ingredient

Post by Agent009 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:18 pm

^ Really, it comes out in like a weeek....
Heres the 1st trailer, there are a few newer ones out now, but i like this one.....

Cate blanchett loooks yummy, as does tessa thompson as valkyrie...

For you, ill add this one.... Its got more hulk....

Last edited by Agent009 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SeamusMcCool
Stew Ingredient

Post by SeamusMcCool » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:19 pm

VinnyD wrote:Trailer:

I attended the premier of this doc at Sundance. Good documentary - fun fact I sat next Ava DuVernay and she had to wake me up half way through the doc. The circumstances made the optics peculiar but not uncommon for a film that played at 530PM at a festival that runs films from 8 in the morning until midnight ending around 2am.

She was most gracious in accepting my apology after the film.

SeamusMcCool
Stew Ingredient

Post by SeamusMcCool » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:20 pm

Outside of:

Superman
Superman II
X Men
X Men second film
Iron Man

They are mostly boring as fuck. I can't wait for the super hero movies to jump the shark.

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Post by Annotated » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:21 pm

TheRedWoman wrote:I suspect you know little about the Marvel-verse.

The Black Panther graphic novels have done very well. I imagine without that, they wouldn't have made the movie. Also, you underestimate rabid fans/nerds.

I don't underestimate them. I know they do well, even if they aren't for me.

I actually wish I liked them. There are so fucking many of them. Same-same for all those shitty action movies that are nothing but car chases and explosions.
Stay Woke

Agent009
Stew Ingredient

Post by Agent009 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:22 pm

xmen is for wankers

TheRedWoman
Stew Ingredient

Post by TheRedWoman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:25 pm

SeamusMcCool wrote:Outside of:

Superman
Superman II
X Men
X Men second film
Iron Man

They are mostly boring as fuck. I can't wait for the super hero movies to jump the shark.

Wonder Woman was surprising good. I was shocked because when I heard they'd chosen Gal Gadot as lead, I was disappointed. She did very well. Great box office win.

As for them jumping the shark, you'll wait a loooooong time for a couple of reasons.

Hollywood has no new ideas. When they find a genre/theme that makes billions, they stick to that formula and genre.
The people who grew up on this stuff still love it even in adulthood. I still buy and read the comics/graphic novels. As do millions of people. I like the fantasy and escape of them.

SeamusMcCool
Stew Ingredient

Post by SeamusMcCool » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:25 pm

Agent009 wrote:xmen is for wankers

For winners in my case.

TheRedWoman
Stew Ingredient

Post by TheRedWoman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:28 pm

Annotated wrote:
TheRedWoman wrote:I suspect you know little about the Marvel-verse.

I don't underestimate them. I know they do well, even if they aren't for me.

I actually wish I liked them. There are so fucking many of them. Same-same for all those shitty action movies that are nothing but car chases and explosions.

I think if you didn't grow up reading the comics, it is not likely you will like the movies now.

@agent, the last X-men movie was just terrible. Awful. I read the comics with X-men Apolcalyse and he was fucking terrifying. The Apocalyse character was laughable. The GoT chick (Sansa) as Jean Grey is not convincing.

TheRedWoman
Stew Ingredient

Post by TheRedWoman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:33 pm

wow, I just watched the Thor trailer...I love Cate Blanchett and she is a great actress. Tessa looks amazing. I am in for the Hulk though :D
Plus, would bang Chris Hemsworth.

Ped_Yai
Stew Ingredient

Post by Ped_Yai » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:55 pm

rider5 wrote:The only comic book I read was Mad Magazine. It was awesome.

I looked up all the dirty-sounding words in this when it first came out, and none of them panned out. I apologize for not posting this on the politics branch.

Guaranteed Effective All-Occasion Non-Slanderous Political Smear Speech
By Bill Garvin
MAD #139, December 1970

My fellow citizens, it is an honor and a pleasure to be here today. My opponent has openly admitted he feels an affinity toward your city, but I happen to like this area. It might be a salubrious place to him, but to me it is one of the nation's most delightful garden spots.

When I embarked upon this political campaign I hoped that it could be conducted on a high level and that my opponent would be willing to stick to the issues. Unfortunately, he has decided to be tractable instead -- to indulge in unequivocal language, to eschew the use of outright lies in his speeches, and even to make repeated veracious statements about me.

At first, I tried to ignore these scrupulous, unvarnished fidelities. Now I do so no longer. If my opponent wants a fight, he's going to get one !

It might be instructive to start with his background. My friends, have you ever accidentally dislodged a rock on the ground and seen what was underneath ? Well, exploring my opponent's background is dissimilar. All the slime and filth and corruption you could possibly imagine, even in your wildest dreams, are glaringly nonexistent in this man's life. And even during his childhood !

Let us take a very quick look at that childhood: It is a known fact that, on a number of occasions, he emulated older boys at a certain playground. It is also known that his parents not only permitted him to masticate excessively in their presence, but even urged him to do so. Most explicable of all, this man who poses as a paragon of virtue exacerbated his own sister while they were both teenagers !

I ask you, my fellow Americans: is this the kind of person we want in public office to set an example for our youth ? Of course, it's not surprising that he should have such a typically pristine background -- no, not when you consider the other members of his family:

His female relatives put on a constant pose of purity and innocence, and claim they are inscrutable, yet every one of them has taken part in hortatory activities
The men in the family are likewise completely amenable to moral suasion
My opponent's second cousin is a Mormon
His uncle was a flagrant heterosexual
His sister, who has always been obsessed by sects, once worked as a proselyte outside a church
His father was secretly chagrined at least a dozen times by matters of a pecuniary nature
His youngest brother wrote an essay extolling the virtues of being a homosapien
His great-aunt expired from a degenerative disease
His nephew subscribes to a phonographic magazine
His wife was a thespian before their marriage and even performed the act in front of paying customers
And his own mother had to resign from a women's organization in her later years because she was an admitted sexagenarian

Now what shall we say of the man himself ?

I can tell you in solemn truth that he is the very antithesis of political radicalism, economic irresponsibility, and personal depravity. His own record proves that he has frequently discountenanced treasonable, un-American philosophies and has perpetrated many overt acts as well.

He perambulated his infant son on the street
He practiced nepotism with his uncle and first cousin
He attempted to interest a 13-year-old girl in philately
He participated in a seance at a private residence where, among other odd goings-on, there was incense
He has declared himself in favor of more homogeneity on college campuses
He has advocated social intercourse in mixed company -- and has taken part in such gatherings himself
He has been deliberately averse to crime in our streets
He has urged our Protestant and Jewish citizens to develop more catholic tastes
Last summer he committed a piscatorial act on a boat that was flying the American flag
Finally, at a time when we must be on our guard against all foreign "isms", he has coolly announced his belief in altruism -- and his fervent hope that some day this entire nation will be altruistic !

I beg you, my friends, to oppose this man whose life and work and ideas are so openly and avowedly compatible with our American way of life. A vote for him would be a vote for the perpetuation of everything we hold dear.

The facts are clear; the record speaks for itself.

Do your duty.
No subject on which I am called to speak is ever slighted, and if a moral lesson or a religious precept can be drawn from it, the opportunity is never allowed to pass unheeded. My constant aim is to elevate and instruct humanity.

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:01 am

I thought it was going to be about the real Black Panthers too.

That's what needs to be made, not another comic book movie.
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!

SeamusMcCool
Stew Ingredient

Post by SeamusMcCool » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:03 am

The doc about the Black Panthers mentioned above is very good if you haven't seen it.

Interesting to see their activist side was not much different than the Tea Party types (e.g. exercise their 2nd amendment rights in public). What differentiates them is the Black Panthers actually cared about their community and ran food and education programs for the less privileged in their community. It's the Black Panthers who were treated like a terrorist organization though. Although no doubt the various militias, tea party types etc. also have unwanted attention from the feds too. Just not with the same aggressive push back the Black Panthers received.

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:32 am

Well, the Black Panthers were far left, intelligent and black.

Tea Party folks are mildly right of center, a bit slow and white.

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:46 am

It’s the free breakfast thing, definitely. The State can’t withstand free breakfast.

SeamusMcCool
Stew Ingredient

Post by SeamusMcCool » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:52 pm

Ha!

The doc was quite the eye opener. All I could think was, this is what had the FBI, Nixon and company all up in arms? Jeeeeesus Christ.

Fred Garvin
Male Prostitute

Post by Fred Garvin » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:12 am

americanjoe needs to stop eating fortune cookies - tph24601

Bachelor # 1 looks like he knows how to do laundry, and wipes his ass properly. - Chip_Oatley

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:54 am

How come black superheros are called "Black" as in Black Lightning and Black Panther. They don't say White Batman or White Flash.

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:40 am

Godjira wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:54 am
How come black superheros are called "Black" as in Black Lightning and Black Panther. They don't say White Batman or White Flash.
Isn't the Batman thing an affront to bats?
Scrubb makes note of my Stew and Thorn Tree posting history: I had no issues with what you said, the problem was that I couldn't figure out what it was (you said).

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:20 am

I don't know, but bats are black, so it makes sense to call him White Batman.

OnTheBall
Stew Ingredient

Post by OnTheBall » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:22 am

I have Deadpool's first ever comic book appearance stashed away somewhere, X-Force number something.

I also have the first 50-something issues of his first ever series from back in the 90's, with Joe Kelly as the writer.

Tons of comics stored from a misspent youth.

OnTheBall
Stew Ingredient

Post by OnTheBall » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:26 am

X-Men's White Queen

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:55 pm

All the nerds I know are pretty excited to see this one. We’ll probably see it in a couple of weeks.

Though I’ve gotten a bit of comic book movie fatigue they are usually enjoyable and bring back childhood memories, plus they are good at getting old culture snobs to proclaim these wildly popular movies are “boring”.

Vodd
Stew Ingredient

Post by Vodd » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:58 pm

Fuck all to do with snobbery. Theyre called out for being shit because theyre fucking shit. Only decent one in the past 5 years was Logan
They tire of quiet, that have known the storm.

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:16 pm

I would have loved the movie when I was 12.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:35 pm

Vodd wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:58 pm
Fuck all to do with snobbery. Theyre called out for being shit because theyre fucking shit. Only decent one in the past 5 years was Logan
Called out, except by critics, movie going audiences, and box office receipts. When you're saying the masses don't have enough taste to recognize a good movie from a bad movie you're kind of defining snobbery.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:38 pm

This is why Justin Bieber is a really good singer.....
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:45 pm

I liked the first two Batman movies by Tim Burton, back before Burton became whatever the hell it is he is now.

I have always otherwise hated every single superhero. The comics, the movies, the capes and booties, the cod-pieces and bikinis - all of it.

I don't know why. I'm perfectly happy to watch hobbits fight orcs or whatever. But superheroes are in the category or Vietnam war movies, gangster movies and westerns in that I literally cannot watch a minute of them no matter how amazing they are supposed to be. Show me a cowboy hat or a tommy-gun and my eyes are rolling up back into my head. I think it's just all fighty-fight-fights-again and there's never any visual imagination or creepiness or cleverness or deductive reasoning.