50 Towns in 50 States

The Richard Allan Bodine Lounge... have a drink and talk about whatever you'd like

Moderator: Moderator

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Re: 50 Towns in 50 States

Post by BulletPark » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:02 pm

My answer is mass production and zoning that favors mass production; and the fact that, up until the 1970s, architecture mattered to middle class America. Now it does not, at least in term of new builds, particularly when there's so much nifty stuff from the past to pick and choose from.

Get off the highways and away from the strip and you'll be surprised what is still out there.

FUUZ
Stew Ingredient

Post by FUUZ » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:23 pm

^^^
As I wander and chunder, I ponder and wonder.
I'm Slumming in Bedlam. Amuse me.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:32 pm

And of course Mill Valley, Grass Valley and Rose Valley should not be confused with Death Valley.

True, I am unsure that such a thing is possible.

But hey. You never know.

Death Valley Junction is the largest town in Death Valley National Park. Which is to say, it is not very large.

The building stock consists of a dozen or so sprawling white-painted adobe-like structures with deep arcades, the town haveing been designed by architect Alexander Hamilton McCulloch and constructed in 1923–24 by the Pacific Coast Borax Company. The U-shaped complex of Mexican Colonial-style adobe buildings included company offices, a store, a dorm, a 23-room hotel, dining room, lobby and employees' headquarters.

You'll be glad to know that they have an opera house.

Yes. An opera house.

With an audience painted on the walls.

The Opera house was the life-long project of Marta Becket, an American performer who had a flat tire in Death Valley and never left. A reporter for Life Magazine passing through the town in 1968 discovered her performing to an empty house and write an article about her, sparking international interest. She continued to perform throughout her life dying last year at the age of 92. The murals on the walls were her work.

The extreme heat at Death Valley is not to be taken lightly.

Drink too little water and you might start seeing shit.

Like a palm oasis with a 240-room luxury hotel plunked behind it.

Or a waterfall out in the middle of nowhere.

Or an Art Deco swimming pool.

Or an old Spanish Hacienda with a carillon tower.

Or an endless plain of violet flowers that go on forever.

Or glass cactus.

Or rocks that run after you.

Or the center of the galaxy.

Which would be absurd.

DianaHaddad
Stew Ingredient

Post by DianaHaddad » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:27 am

korgy wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:37 pm
this is a great thing you're doing here. otoh, the thing about romanticizing all these small towns of architectural/archaeological splendour is now when people drive through the US and see nothing but highways cluttered with Bojangles and Speedy Marts, they're going to wonder what happened.

but please keep it up -- i'm all for romance.
I'd hope that even on the Stew people were smart enough to know that ever place has some gross looking areas, and that you'll l never see anything great in any country if you refuse to ever get off the highway. But I think I hope for too much.

BP, I went to the Architectural Hits thread to ask you if you were familiar with the octagon house in Irvington, NY (I saw it on a TV show last night) but I saw you had already posted it in that thread. Looks beautiful. I'm in Irvington all the time but never knew it was there.

"Pansy oatmeal" is the best thing I've ever read.
"Suck it, Trebek."

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:48 am

BulletPark wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:02 pm
Get off the highways and away from the strip and you'll be surprised what is still out there.
DianaHaddad wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:27 am
you'll l never see anything great in any country if you refuse to ever get off the highway.
indeed.
"Iranians apparently disagree with korgy"

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:34 pm

Gee, all that parched countryside sure made me thirsty! Next stop, Fredericksburg, Virginia!

And specifically, the 150-year-old Goolrick's Soda Fountain in Old Town.

Might not look like much, but it is the oldest continuously operating soda fountain in the country.

Or we can hit up Carl's (1955) for a banana split.

Either way, Y to the U-M, motherfuckers!

Then we can take in the rest of town and important Revolutionary and Civil War site. Note Ye Olde Lowe Ridere.

The city had the crap blasted out of it both times (see blow)...

...but a substantial chunk remains.

It is markedly less twee than Alexandria, its closest rival.

City Hall.

The City Museum & Cultural Center.

The Old Courthouse.

The New Courthouse, which looks older than the old one did.

Melcher's Hall at Mary Washington University, named after George's mum, who was a bit of a challanging person.

The old battleaxe's manse.

The extraordinary Moss Neck Manor on the edge of town.

Chatham,from 1670 onward.

Fair Hall.

The portico at Brompton.

And perhaps the most significant, Kenmore, right at the top of the hill overlooking town.

With its intact dependancies, 300-year old gardens and eye-popping interior plasterwork dating to 1740.

But Fredericksburg is really famous for a patch of countryside very nearby.

No, I'm not talking about the Civil War battlefields, remarkable as they are.

I'm talking about the abandoned Renaissance Faire.

How cool is that?

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:05 pm

Mary Washington University
It would have been good if the fomer Mary Washington College had decided to call itself that upon becoming a university. Instead they opted for the nonsensical name "University of Mary Washington," which to mind only works if there is a place called Mary Washington.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:37 pm

I've been to Fredericksburg a few times. It's a nice place.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:40 pm

to be clear, that abandoned Renaissance Faire kitsch just existed for a few years in the mid-90s, until it moved to Spotsylvania
http://varf.org/

i'll never quite grasp that Southern white obsession with all things pre-colonial England (naming suburban streets and such). but for white trash abandoned kitsch archeaology, Heritage Village takes the cake. (it may have finally been destroyed in the past few years, not sure).

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:00 am

Jerome, Arizona, is the steepest city in the US.

An old mining camp which was a near ghost town by the middle of the 20th century, it has reinvented itself as an artist's colony and nature destination.

Its rather fetchingly decrepit downtown has become increasingly popular with both the right and wrong sort of people.

The aesthetic is decidedly otherworldly, as if the Seven Dwarves had somehow directed "Blade Runner".

The House of Joy. Three guesses as to what sort of business this once was.

You're right! A five-star restaurant.

More ample parking.

I kind of think this must be a gag.

And just like that - no Australians!

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:07 am

Sedona is on the right. What was the highest mountain in the lower 48, until it blew its top, is on the left by Flagstaff.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:32 am

A much sterner city in an equally uncompromising place, New Bedford, Massachusetts, casts a shadow across American culture nearly as dark as that of its northern sister, Salem.

In Salem, it was witches; in New Bedford, it was whales - this was the cradle of the American whaling fleet.

And where The House of Seven Gables and The Scarlet Letter are Salem's literary legacy, it was from New Bedford that the first Great American Novel was launched - Moby Dick.

The city's architecture is severe but dignified.

When the city fell into long term decay with the decline of whaling and other commerce, the WHALE Institute, a preservation society, managed to revive 20 blocks of downtown as a national historic landmark.

It's kind of like Mystic Seaport, only not for pussies.

The Customs House.

The First Courthouse.

Russell Warren's magnificent double bank building, for two different banking clients.

Seaman's Bethel, cited in Melville's novel; the Mariner's Home stands to the right.

The decaying Orpheum, the city's concert hall and (sigh) opera house.

The sinister spires of St. Anthony's Cathedral.

When Herman Melville arrived in December 1840, New Bedford was at the height of its prosperity. In his novel, Moby-Dick, Melville wrote that “. . . nowhere in all America will you find more patrician-like houses, parks and gardens more opulent, than in New Bedford. Whence came they?. . . Yes; all these brave houses and flowery gardens came from the Atlantic, Pacific, and Indian oceans. One and all, they were harpooned and dragged up hither from the bottom of the sea.”

Trust me, 200 years later it ain't all that no mo'. But you can still find traces of Melville's conceit.

The Rotch-Jones-Duff House, now a museum.

One of Russell Warren's most fortress-like designs, the Grinnell Mansion.

Possibly the greatest Carpenter Gothic house in the United States, the William Rotch House.

A flamboyant Second Empire design for the Van Hawls Family.

But we can't say goodbye to New Bedford without paying our respects to the vast ocean-going mammals that paid for it all. And for those from Perth, I do not mean Gina Rinehart in a teeny bikini.

I Mean the New Bedford Whaling Museum, possibly the greatest nautical museum in the world.

Home of the largest collection of whaling artifacts in the world.

And scrimshaw.

And the world's largest ship model, the Lagoda.

It is pretty hard to be anything but deeply ambivalent about the whaling trade. But at least the good citizens of New Bedford didn't piss it all away on hookers and booze.

Not entirely.

DianaHaddad
Stew Ingredient

Post by DianaHaddad » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:07 am

Nice to see New Bedford. I agree that the whaling museum is great. The one in Nantucket is also excellent, and the elderly docent (we seem to always get the same one) is worth her weight in gold.

I'm going to be in Mystic tomorrow and might have tried to post pics, so I'm glad to know in advance the seaport's for pussies...

But I won't tolerate any smack talk about the Charles W. Morgan.
"Suck it, Trebek."

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:12 am

if your hadn't labeled that town Jerome, AZ, i would've sworn it was Bisbee

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:26 am

I think we can tiptoe across the bay to check out New Bedford's more aristocratic sister city, Fairhaven.

A satellite of its its stormier neighbor, Fairhaven was perhaps the first bedroom community in America - having no commercial core to speak of and generally serving as a domestic retreat from the larger and less genteel city across the bridge. Brooklyn, this was your life.

Fairhaven had the mixed blessing to be the home of Henry Huttleston Rogers, who was a businessman and philanthropist. Rogers was one of the key men in John D. Rockefeller’s Standard Oil trust, and was nicknamed "Hell Hound Rogers" by the unions.

Although he appears to have earned his epithet, he also built Fairhaven's City Hall.

And its library.

And the Tabitha Inn.

And the Unitarian Church.

And the High School.

A classroom.

Ol' Hell Hound's greatest gift to Fairhaven was to be his mansion, which he packed full of artifacts and art and intended to be the city's museum.

Alas! His son turned out to be an even bigger cunt than Daddy and tore the place down after selling off the art collection and architectural details, having reduced his 120 million inheritance to 4 million during a lifetime of wise investments and good company.

But who says history has to begin and end with the Gilded Age?

One of three original McDonald's restaurants. And yes, like all the other buildings shown, it is a landmark.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:12 pm

Bayfield, Wisconsin, is a pleasant resort town on the shores of Lake Superior.

It is an old orchard and berry farm center.

It is home to the Bayfield Fish Hatchery.

And gateway to the sandstone ice caves of the Apostle Islands.

Which don't, on the face of it, scream "Wisconsin" particularly.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:53 pm

Unitarians don't go in for Gothic much, in my experience.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:29 pm

Christiansted, US Virgin Islands, is the largest settlement on the Island of St. Croix.

The city was briefly home of the teenage Alexander Hamilton. While smaller than the Capitol city of Charlotte Ameile, it displays the same Danish Colonial and African-Creole architecture.

Government House, dating in part to 1733, the year the city was founded.

King's Alley.

A colonial villa.

The Steeple Building of 1750. Not a church, evidently.

Cane Garden Plantation, on the edge of the city.

The oval-shaped "greathouse" at Whim Plantation.

A courtyard garden.

A, um, Bulgarian Contessa named Nadia built herself a castle on Slob Drive. Yours for 11 Million.

Admit it. Of all the places on this thread you had no idea existed, this is the one you really didn't know existed.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:52 am

any backstory on the Bulgarian contessa? i guess i can google..

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:56 am

here's an article from 2 years ago. the place is absolutely hideous (see photos in link)
http://www.realclearlife.com/real-estat ... million/#1
Bulgarian Contessa’s Castle in St. Croix Hits Market for $15 Million
Real Estate By Will Levith

If you’re in the market for a castle, you may have already noticed that you can buy one in England or Italy. But why not get one in a location where the weather’s sublime year round? That’s the idea behind this luxury property, aptly titled “The Castle,” in St. Croix.

You might be interested to know that actual royalty built and lived in the property at one point. Bulgarian Contessa Nadia Farber and her husband were The Castle’s original owners. The property, which was completed in 1989, sits high atop a mountainside, overlooking the northern and southern coasts of St. Croix. Throughout her time in the white-walled abode, Contessa Farber made a series of land acquisitions surrounding the property, so that it now presently sits on 102 acres of private land.

With Moorish and Asian architectural accents, the 10,000-square-foot estate includes the main castle and a gatekeeper’s cottage. In all, the property includes six bedrooms and six bathrooms.

Part of the land Contessa Farber purchased included a West Indies Marine Lab, formerly run by Farleigh Dickinson University, so the area has both up-to-date roads and infrastructure, and is zoned for a potential commercial venture. Leftover from its laboratory days is the property’s pier, which was built along its own private beachfront. The Castle is also conveniently situated next door to the St. Croix yacht club, and its lagoon area, adjacent to Buck Island Reef National Monument.

The Castle has been listed by Christie’s International Real Estate for $15 million. To contact the listing agents, click here. Below, take a look at detailed shots of the lavish interiors and exteriors. At the bottom, watch a short flyover by a GoPro drone to get an idea of where the property’s located and how it’s set up.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:51 am

It may be a tear down but the lot itself is worth something.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:31 am

It really is even more hideous than I thought it would be.

Great views, though.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:08 am

Sitka Alaska, may be even more beautifully sited than Christiansted.

I suppose it depends on one's preferences for average mean temperatures.

Amd in Sitka, they get pretty mean.

The Capital of Russian Alaska since 1799, the city is home to the Cathedral of the Archangel Michael, restored after the great fire of 1966.

The Bishop's Mansion survived the fire, and is now a museum of Russian American history.

As did the Episcopal Church.

And the reconstructed Old Blockhouse, a replica of a Russian fortified structure; the building before it is the city's Clan House.

Sitka is home to the Sitka Fine Arts Camp, a historic art college.

And the Sitka Pioneer Home, host to the Alaska Day Croquet Tournament.

And the National Totem Pole Park of the Tlingit People, who settled the area sometime around 8,000 BC.

And the Pioneer Bar, thank the Maker.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:33 am

Magnolia Springs, Alabama, is a splash of color on the road to Fairhope.

It's not exactly what you'd call a major port of call.

But it has its own charms.

And it's the last place in the US where mail is delivered by boat.

Don't worry! He hates his job, just like the rest of the post office does.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:52 am

i googled Magnolia Springs and i see now that you are very polite in omitting some images for the punchline photo

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:01 pm

Puff the Magic Dragon, lived by the sea.

And frolicked in the ocean waves in the land of Hanalei, Hawaii.

Or so goes the pet theories of a bunch of slacker twats.

In between their munchie breaks of pop and tater tots.

Peter, Paul and Mary denied their little song

Was all about a hippie who once fucked his favorite bong.

Now that this post is over, that song is in your head.

I'm guessing in five minutes you'll be wishing you were dead.

Thank goodness they have a little church for the funeral.

And the Easter Bunny on hand to deliver the eulogy.

And a Tiki bar. For after.

UPDATE! Due to flooding by rivers of lava and/or shit, pictures may no longer reflect reality (inasmuch as reality and Hanalei ever had more than the most glancing of relationships to start with).

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:21 pm

For various reasons I am going to guess that if I asked you "What location inspired this tits-and-ass painting by Maxfield Parrish?" your answer would not be "New Hampshire".

Yet, in the colony of Cornish, New Hampshire, that is exactly what happened.

Originally called Mast Head, for the masts its forest supplied the shipbuilders in Portsmouth with, Cornish is a secluded mountain community.

The church.

The Meeting House.

The Cornish-Windsor Covered Bridge, once the longest in the world.

Parrish's estate and original studio still stand aloft on the White Mountains.

He was joined by numerous other more talented less girly artists, including Augustus Saint-Gaudens; Charles Adams Platt; and Ellen Biddle Shipman. Having three names was a stamp of kwality back then.

Saint-Gaudens was probably the most important American sculptor of the American Renaissance.

Ellen Biddle Shipman's landscape designs reinvented Classical Italian landscapes as New England ones.

While Charles Adams Platt merged Italian forms with New England building materials.

Other artists restored the cottages, barns and old mill buildings in both Cornish and Windsor for their use; Winston Churchill spent a summer here and said it was the most beautiful place in America he had ever seen.

Later J.D. Salinger bought a house where he did not write a damn thing.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:48 pm

Chimayo, New Mexico, is a tiny pueblo on the far outskirts of Santa Fe.

Its central church and walled courtyard are unique in the adobe architecture of the region.

The interior of the church.

Medina's Cafe on the Plaza.

Santa Nino Chapel.

A gate near the Plaza.

The Vigil Store.

The Rancho Chimayo, now a famed restaurant.

The few houses in town are variations on the Native New Mexican type.

The Stations of the Cross.

A shot showing the church and walled courtyard and some of the hundred of people who make the annual pilgrimage to collect the holy dirt.

Chimayo Holy Dirt is the shit! Blessed by the Virgin Mary herself, it cleans up everything from leprosy to hangnail. Or something.

All right, I'm just being a dick again. This is a beautiful and spiritual place and everyone should visit and also call their mom. That includes you, Big J.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:03 pm

I've driven through but never stopped there.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:47 pm

Ventura, California, is home to a different sort of pilgrimage.

To find the city nearest to LA with the best surf, evidently.

Fortunately, for those of us who don't give a fucking shit about that, the place still is pretty cool.

City Hall.

The old Mission, built in 1802-1809.

The Art Deco former Baptist Church, now some sort of hippie bullshit spiritualism center. Great place to trade in your gently used Chimayo holy Dirt.

Or maybe not.

It makes Babby Jeebus angry.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:51 pm

Chimayo, New Mexico is a great area. when i was at that holy dirt church, it was not crowded at all.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:53 pm

korgy wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:51 pm
Chimayo, New Mexico is a great area. when i was at that holy dirt church, it was not crowded at all.
I think the pilgrimages occur on specific holy weeks.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:00 pm

There were people there when I was there. Not crowded like Montserrat or the Sistine Chapel, but far from empty.

I have a blanket/rug/bedspread from Ortega Weaving in Chimayo that my mother gave me c. 1974, and placemats and a table runner that I got there myself a few years ago.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:10 am

Litchfield, Connecticut, is in the same genre of Sharon int he same state: the immaculate white clapboard Colonial village beloved of postcard artists and 1950s TV shows starring married people who don't sleep in the same bed.

Bantam Lake, a nearby resort community.

Jingle Bells etc.

Topsmead State Park.

Saint Michael's, a handsome essay in archaeological Gothic, by Ralph Adams Cram. Or if not, then someone who was ripping him off.

The Old Stone Church, a church that is made of old stone.

A big Colonial Revival house.

A fairly big actual Colonial house, the Tallmidge Mansion, 1775.

An even bigger Gothic Revival house, now owned by Anderson Cooper, everyone's favorite gay silver fox/hobbit.

A slightly less big house by Marcel Breuer. Kind of goes against the grain.

The Demming House, 1790, facing the Village Green.

The Historical Society, also facing the Village Green.

The Courthouse, facing, Village, Green.

The Congregational Church, facing the Village Orange.

Fun fact about the above church. It was built in the 1760s in the High Georgian style. Then after about 60 years they stuck Gothic doodads all over it. 30 years after that they got tired of looking at it and hauled it out of town. 30 years after that Colonial Revival was suddenly a thing, so they hauled it back and peeled off the doodads.

They also hired Vaux and Olmstead to landscape the Village Green.

Twats.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:14 am

Know that to gaze upon the streets of Bentonville, Arkansas, is to gaze upon the reason why 99% of the United States looks nothing like this thread.

For it is here in this tidy little city of Blue Velvet-like creepiness that Walton's Department Store was founded by the Walton Family.

Which became, in turn, Wal-Mart, Destroyer of Worlds.

I have no idea why so many pictures of this place are taken at night. It must have something to do with Ultimate Evil.

Anyway, here are some cute houses.

The Waltons lived rather quietly in a mansion designed by the great Fay Jones. Not this specific one, you understand.

One of a series Jones designed in Bentonville's woods.

And Bentonville itself was a fucking fly-blown dump.

"Pish posh!" said heiress Alice Walton when she wasn't too busy killing people by running them over with her Porshe. "This will never do!"

So she rolled up her sleeves and restored ten shits out of the place.

And founded the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

And dragged a Frank Lloyd Wright house all the way here from New Jersey.

And built a sculpture garden after designs by Buckminster Fuller.

Which I guess is better than killing people with your car.

The Museum of Native American History with the teepee outside? Nah, she wouldn't know about that.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:12 pm

that Breuer house in Litchfield wouldnt be so bad if not for that hideous, dated Calder pool mural (which apparently was commissioned separately). Calder should have stuck to mobiles.

here's a broader view

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:56 pm

I think the Calder makes the house, myself. It breaks up the rationality.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:31 am

Silverton is a sleepy little city that is the County Seat of San Juan County, Colorado.

It is, in fact, the only town in San Juan County, Colorado.

Possibly because there aren't that many people in love with the idea of trying to bake a cake at 9,000+feet.

City Hall

The Courthouse

An old railroad connects the town with Durango, Colorado.

I believe it's called the Golden Geyser Express.

But to get to the (relatively) neighboring city of Ouray, Colorado, you need to take the Million Dollar Highway.

So-called because it's what you couldn't pay anyone sane to do.

If the theme music to "The Shining" is not playing in your head, you have never seen the film.

Then you get to Ouray, and it's all rustic charm again!

Shake out your shorts and hit the town!

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:05 am

Their subtle way of letting you know you're not in Kansas anymore.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:15 am

Oh, and by the way....you really want to be going from Silverado to Ouray and not the other way 'round.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:55 am

The Million Dollar Highway is five miles from Telluride as the crow flies, and about 50 miles by highway. Though there is an old mining trail that joins Ouray and Telluride over a 13,000 foot pass.

Same/same with Silverton and Lake City, except it's longer. And you can actually take the tour by jeep for a price.

Silverton has a ski area now. Every run is double diamond and avalanche beacons are mandatory.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:57 am

Boy is my mouth dry after all that high altitude! I need a drink.

Fortunately Lambertville, New Jersey, is only six states away.

Across from the quaint but rather over-touristed arts colony of New Hope, Pennsylvania, Lambertville has kept its original atmosphere and one of the most impressive collections of folk architecture in the region.

And a few outliers.

The town is flanked by the Delaware & Raritan Canal.

And perched on the edge of the canal is the Boat House.

Which is the best bar in the United States of America.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:06 pm

Bluffton, South Carolina, is said to be the last of the true Low Country tidewater towns.

North of Savannah and south of Charleston, the town is made up of the historic Old Bluffton and the new resort development of Palmetto Bluff. Betcha can't tell which is which. Betcha.

The Succession Tree - where a bunch of varmints decided to betray the United States and open the Civil War back in the day.

Some other trees without any succession.

Rose Hill Plantation, a rare southern example of the work of Andrew Jack Downing and extensively restored after a catastrophic fire.

Heyward House, home of a noted surgeon and medical historian of the antebellum era.

Seven Oaks, though by some to be the partial model for Twelve Oaks in "Gone With the Wind".

Sickening, isn't it?

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:45 am

With its original red brick streets and well-preserved downtown, Red Wing, Nebraska, bills itself as "The Most Famous Small Town in America".

Yeah, I never heard of it either.

Which really just means I'm a dummy, as it is the home town, for all intents and purposes, of the novelist Willa Cather and the setting for many of her most celebrated works. And don't think they've somehow forgotten the fact.

You've never heard of Willa Cather?

Illiterate peasant.

Yes, Red Cloud has an Opera House. It would probably be easier to list the towns on this thing that don't have opera houses.

The train station.

Cather's girlhood home.

The home of the Willa Cather Foundation.

A house, nothing to do with Willa Cather.

Willa Cather's second home.

The Stark Round Barn, largest in the country. No known link to Willa Cather.

The Red Cloud B&B, again no known link to Willa Cather.

The Webster County Museum, full of Willa Cather.

The Willa Cather Memorial National Prairie.

Featuring the Willa Cather Memorial Super Cell.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:57 am

Spain sent a military expedition from Santa Fe to Nebraska in 1720.

They were wiped out by the Pawnee Indians and their French allies near Columbus, Nebraska. Yes, the French were there even then.

The Indian allies of the Spanish and a few Spaniards made it back to Santa Fe to tell the tale. There were no Sioux there, then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villasur_expedition
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

FUUZ
Stew Ingredient

Post by FUUZ » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:42 am

up

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:18 pm

interesting about the opera houses in almost all of these grand old towns. i guess that was the nightlife at one time. although, pretty sure they weren't exactly performing Le Nozze di Figaro every night..

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:36 pm

Opera Houses of the type that figure here tended to be incorporated into commercial blocks, post offices or city halls. They were talking points for town boosters (remember, at this period, every one of these places had some dim hopes of becoming New York City or Washington DC). Actual opera was by no means out of the question (it was popular entertainment at the time and was actually thought to be rather bawdy by some), and many touring soloists from Europe and elsewhere appeared on these stages, but the main program was probably more a series of lectures, debates, concerts and amateur theatrical performances.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:49 pm

The Opera House in Pinos Altos, NM (pop 198), part of the Buckhorn Saloon and Opera House complex. Just across the Great Divide from Silver City. I have been to the saloon but not the Opera House. One guy in the saloon had a motorcycle helmet that read: "VIETNAM. We were winning when I left."

FUUZ
Stew Ingredient

a SUPERB thread.

Post by FUUZ » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:46 am

The only Thread's that rival this one are a couple by the same author.