50 Towns in 50 States

The Richard Allan Bodine Lounge... have a drink and talk about whatever you'd like

Moderator: Moderator

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Re: 50 Towns in 50 States

Post by BulletPark » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:08 am

Jud, North Dakota, named after its founder, is a town with a population of 72.

A small community on the edge of a vast prairie, it is a picturesque enough spot.

It is home to the oldest commercial building in North Dakota.

Which is also one of dozens of buildings in town covered with murals by its inhabitants.

Not all of them, of course.

Last edited by BulletPark on Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:08 am

Actually this has been as much fun for me as for you, Fuuz. There's some amazing stuff out there I had no idea about.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:07 pm

Granville, Ohio, bills itself as the New England Town of the Midwest.

Home of Denison University, a high-ranking liberal arts college.

It has a pleasant central district.

St. Luke's Church dates to 1843.

First Presbyterian

An exceptional cast iron fence from the 1850s-1860s.

The immense Granville Inn, a stone stagecoach stop expanded over the last 170 years.

Polo on the lawns of Bryn Du, a town park.

The Buxton Inn.

The town museum.

The library.

And at the far end of town, the Alligator Mound, a prehistoric earthwork that may depict the "swimming panther" associated with a cult of the Hopewell people.

They had an opera house too, but some moron burned it down.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:19 am

Troy, New York, may be a contentious choice much the way Lowell, Massachusetts was. It is a small industrial city on the upper Hudson River, more or less directly across from the state capitol at Albany. Which is hardly Hades, but not exactly most people's idea of a beauty spot.

It is named after the great city of Homer's epic, which, as you may remember, was best known for being sacked.

Itself famed for much of the 20th Century as a fusty, dowdy, over-decorated dump, its inhabitants are obliged to refer to themselves as Trojans; the other area epithet, "Troylets" being pretty much as bad.

It's amazing what the last 20 years have done.

The Renneslear Polytechnic Institute, one of the top such colleges in the country, has effected a gradual but decided shift towards students staying nearby to form start-ups and new industries.

Which in turn has fed the rejuvenation of the city as a whole.

There is a lot to work with, mind - Troy was the fourth richest city in the nation during the boom years of the 1850s and 1860s and they spent the bucks on doing up the place.

Rowhouses as good as any in Brooklyn or Philadelphia.

The still unrestored Proctor's Theater.

A Greek Revival row facing Washington Park, one of only two private urbans parks int he US (the other is Gramercy Park in New York).

The graceful McCarthy Building's terra-cotta and cast iron facade.

The recently restored Quackenbush Building.

The Hart-Cluett House of 1801, now a museum.

The palatial City Library with its dozen Tiffany windows.

In fact, Troy evidently has the largest collection of Tiffany glass in the world.

The Payne Mansion, now a frat house.

It's maybe a little bit grander than most frat houses.

Now you might be wondering if they have an opera house.

As a matter of fact, they do. The Troy Savings Bank Music Hall, by George B. Post, said to be the best acoustically designed opera house in the US.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:36 am

If Troy, New York, is an old industrial town that managed to pull itself into the 21st century somewhat, Gary, Indiana, is pretty much the opposite in every way.

A one-time powerhouse of steel production, Gary's fortunes began to shrink with the decline of the steel industry in the post-war period as plastics and lighter metals began to become more widely available.

A once thriving industrial city became a byword for social and economic collapse, along with Flint, Michigan; Camden, New Jersey; and East Saint Louis.

Some handsome relics from the age of Steel survive, such as the Knights of Columbus Building.

City Hall and the Courthouse, both by Henry Bacon.

But even these are increasingly crumbling away.

There are some signs of things turning around - the bathing pavilion by George Maher (pictured above) has been recently restored.

The train station is marked for redevlopment.

Ditto the Palace Theater.

And plenty of others find beauty in the ruins.

But it remains to be seen whether the place will be able to reinvent itself for a post-industrial future.

You might wonder why I included it in this thread. Well, places like Gary helped build America. I'd like to think we could return the favor.

Usher73
Stew Ingredient

Post by Usher73 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:13 am

Gary, we would never have been the same without the Jackson 5. We want you back.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:21 pm

Milford, Pennsylvania, sits at the state lines of New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

Here's a view of the place from Milford Knob, ha ha ha, my aching sides.

It is a charming old place.

The public library and historical society.

The rather famously decrepit Milford Theater.

The classic Village Diner.

The water wheel at the old mill, now a brewery and bakery.

For Iolar, one of the country's greatest and most historic out-of-the-way restaurants, the Hotel Fauchere. But then, I'm sure he's eaten better in Siberia.

But Milford's history rests rather interestingly on two things:

It was the home, at Grey Towers, one of the most beautiful and ancient houses in the US, of the founding of the American Forestry Program.

The Anerican Forestry Building, the initial headquarters of the origination.

This was, of course, back in the day when America's rich actually worked to create and preserve the country rather than trying to figure out ways to destroy it.

The other notable thing is that this was the home of the Milford Workshop, the most famous science fiction writing class in the world. Founded in 1955 by a number of science fiction writers in the area, including the great James Blish, its faculty and student history is a who's who of New Wave fiction from the post-war period onward. Ursula K. le Guin taught here and I have often wondered if her proximity to Grey Towers inspirded one of her most memorable tales - "The Word for World is Forest".

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:53 am

Vicksburg, Mississippi, is a grand if rather battered looking old place with every excuse to be so - it was at the center of one of the most violent battles of the American Civil War.

The Old Warren County Couthouse looms over the downtown; built in 1855, it is one of the few American public buildings to have been fired upon from the water.

By this boat no less, the USS Cairo,which spent the subsequent 120 years at the bottom of the river.

The battlefield's memorial.

The Mississippi River Bridges, old and new.

Main Street.

Planter's Hall, from 1834, a bank occupied by the Confederate officers during the Vicksburg Siege.

The Cobb Mansion, a few doors down.

Cedar Grove, now an inn.

Creole influence in cast and wrought ironwork.

City Hall.

Mynelle Gardens.

Vicksburg hits a couple of unexpected architectural notes.

Like this Italian villa Frank Lloyd Wright mash-up.

Or this dramatic Modernist church.

Or this sophisticated Shingle Style dwelling.

Or this thing, whatever it is.

I kid, I kid - it's the B'nai B'rith Literary Club, a Jewish social organization. Which would probably seem a bit random no matter where it was.

Here's the membership, looking spiffy 80 years ago:

The Beidenharn Candy Company, now a museum. The soda fountain where Coca Cola was invented.

The Depot, also a museum. Of trains.

And occasionally boats.

On the edge of town, the Windsor Ruins. Once the largest Greek Revival house in the state.

No, it was not torched by Union soldiers. It burned down in 1955 because someone was smoking in bed.

Bet they felt a right twat, eh?

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:35 pm

The Cannonball House in Lewes, Delaware, still has a cannonball embedded in it from the Brtish bombardment in 1813.

It was a private residence at the time, but since it now houses a Maritime Museum you could argue that it is a public building bombarded from the water.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:27 pm

wow, some of those streets in Troy could be right out of Brooklyn

this would make a great book -- of course, i am sure small town US books have been done before -- but by someone with a good eye?

also, i'm guessing the cost of traveling to all those places and taking original photos and of printing a book with that many plates might not even be covered by the sales
"Iranians apparently disagree with korgy"

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:35 pm

A million miles away from Jackson, Mississippi, Martha's Vineyard, of the coast Massachusetts is actually technically several towns, of which the two largest are Edgartown and Oak Bluff.

Of the two, Edgartown is the more Stiff-Upper-Lippish and High-Water-Trousered and Long Island-Pimms-Cup of the two.

Or, in other words, annoying.

Oak Bluff was originally a religious summer camp whose quaint cottages reflect a different tradition altogether.

One full of whimsy and light, gladsomeness and gaiety.

In other words, FUCKING annoying.

They have an amazing carousel, though, the Flying Horses, the oldest surviving carousel in the States, salvaged from Coney Island.

Cool!

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:57 pm

Removed as I do not want these twats cluttering up my beloved thread.

Usher73
Stew Ingredient

Post by Usher73 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:09 pm

What have you got against Texas City?

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:32 am

Nothing! In fact, what an excellent idea for a post!

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:48 am

I like your attitude toward Martha's Vineyard. It matches mine, even though I've never been there.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:46 am

Warwick, New York, is paradoxically on no one's go-to list, although it is one of the most charming towns in the state.

It sits in the middle of the Black Dirt Valley, an incredibly rich glacial plain that is the seat of garlic production in the North East US.

Its main drag is a mix of historic and funky. The overriding theme might be 18th Century biker bar.

The Anderson Building looms up behind The Inkwell, an arts supply shop.

Baird Tavern, 1738. George and Martha Washington stayed here. Of course, it has been redone.

The Old Baptist Church, now the historical society.

Old houses crowd the hills.

Hambelton Hall from 1790 onward.

The Iron Forge Inn, now a restaurant.

Pacem in Terris, an arts studio located in an 18th century grist mill.

A relatively recent addition to Main Street, the Ye Olde Book Shop.

Overlooking the valley, Glenmere Mansion, once the haunt of Gore Vidal and Barbara Stanwyck. Designed by Carrere & Hastings with 150 acres of gardens by Beatrix Farrand.

It is now a small super-super-super casual hotel, as you can clearly see. Feel free to drop in wearing flip-flops and a sweat-soaked T-shirt and ask for a Screaming Orgasm.

DianaHaddad
Stew Ingredient

Post by DianaHaddad » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:57 am

I love the Vineyard. You don't have to be stuffy to enjoy Edgartown, in fact I think it's my favorite part. My dude prefers Oak Bluffs for the cottages and also the big town green. Vineyard Haven isn't a bad compromise.

We can't talk about MV without a few more landmarks, though. Like the fishing village of Menemsha ("Menemsher"). I ran into Jackie O there once.
menemsha.jpg
(Weird, why won't my post work correctly? Splitting into 3...)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Suck it, Trebek."

DianaHaddad
Stew Ingredient

Post by DianaHaddad » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:00 am

Then we have the place now called Aquinnah, but it's hard to not think of it by its old name, Gay Head. Especially if you saw what those two guys were doing on the beach when I was there last time.
aquinnah.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Suck it, Trebek."

DianaHaddad
Stew Ingredient

Post by DianaHaddad » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:01 am

Returning to Edgartown for a moment, we should talk about Chappaquiddick and the ferry there. The famous bridge is a few miles away from the ferry landing. It's hard to keep up after all of the bad storms we had in March, but I think Chappy is back to being attached to the mainland Vineyard by a sandbar south of the ferry. It alternates between being attached and being a full island, every couple of years.
Chappy.jpg
"Suck it, Trebek."

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:33 pm

i love the Vineyard too, at least i did last time i was there, which was probably about 19 years ago. i suspect i might not like it so much anymore. it must have been great when James Taylor bought his plot of land in the 70s, leaving Carly and the kids there while he went on his heroin-strung-out concert tours. they're both still there though, and he has been clean for many years.
Oak Bluff was originally a religious summer camp whose quaint cottages reflect a different tradition altogether.
my understanding is that it was an annual tent religious revival, and people would pitch their tents -- the tents got more and more elaborate, and then more and more permanent , culminating in tiny cheap gingerbread summer homes (cheap at the time)

FUUZ
Stew Ingredient

Post by FUUZ » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:51 am

z
As I wander and chunder, I ponder and wonder.
I'm Slumming in Bedlam. Amuse me.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:51 am

I actually don't have a problem with Martha's Vineyard per se - back when i was a kid it was perfectly nice. But it is currently suffering from the sort of celebrity over-exposure that threatens to turn it permanently into the Hamptons (a Class-A shithole). I prefer a place like Warwick, NY, which has a great mix of modern and historic and is a locals-only sort of place - where you can get a perfect Manhattan and a black-tie dinner at a place like Glenmere but where used bookstores and dive bars and actual working farms and wrecked mansions with weeds in the lawn are also still a thing.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:01 am

Excelsior, Minnesota, is a small city contingent with Minneapolis.

Founded by New Englanders, it has a decidedly Bostonian flavor to its downtown.

The city is the home port of the Minnehaha, sunk as obsolete in 1927 - raised from the bottom of the lake in 1980 - restored in 1990 - and providing commuter service to Minneapolis since then.

Isn't she just the cutest thing?

Excelsior is also home to the Minnesota Trolley Museum, which also runs commuter lies into Minneapolis.

It almost makes the thought of commuting to Minneapolis a pleasant one.

The city is also home to one of the oldest continuously operated theater companies in the US, the Old Log Theater, founded with the city back in the 1840s.

The Layfayette Club.

The Commons.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:41 pm

Charlevoix, Michigan, is a small resort city on the state's Upper Peninsula.

It is popular with the boaty, horsey, winey, artsy set.

As a gateway - literally - to the Great Lakes, it is home to numerous impressive boathouses.

Numerous early developments were private clubs surrounded by houses; this is the Chicago Club District.

The lake is bordered by several massive estates from the Edwardian period. The largest of these is Castle Farms.

But the town's true claim to fame are the mushroom houses.

A group of 30 cottages and buildings designed by artist Earl Young, they have spawned newer versions from the 1920s onward. Designed with glacial boulders found on each site, they have earned their created the nickname of Frodo Lloyd Wright, although Wright and Young couldn't stand each other and only agreed on one thing - that the site of the house remain as unchanged as possible.

Usher73
Stew Ingredient

Post by Usher73 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:50 am

Sorry BP, Charlevoix is on the far northwest coast of the lower Michigan, on Lake Michigan.

The Mackinac Bridge opened in 1957, so the rich folks had no easy way to get to the UP before that, much less move the construction materials up there.
Last edited by Usher73 on Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:53 am

My bad - thought it was on the upper peninsula for some reason.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:51 am

One of the reasons I've never taken Martha's Vineyard very seriously is that Watch Hill, Rhode Island, is superior in every way.

If only because it's far less well known and rather more austere.

At least until that Katy Pery bitch showed up.

It and neighboring Westerly are just a beautiful in winter as at the height of the season.

The Public Library.

Ocean House.

A beautiful Mckim, Mead & White "Shingle" house, 1888.

A home by John Russell Pope.

It's like a non-frat Newport.

DianaHaddad
Stew Ingredient

Post by DianaHaddad » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:20 am

Watch Hill is indeed glorious. I was just there on the 4th. It was 10 degrees cooler than Mystic and 20 than NY.

The Ocean House is beautiful. In fact, I brought it up in one of the architecture threads, a while back.

The carousel is similar to the one on the Vineyard, but it seems the RI one is older. It also only takes kids.
"Suck it, Trebek."

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:31 am

I'm pretty sure the Vineyard's is the older of the two. Unless it's the oldest American-made one?

DianaHaddad
Stew Ingredient

Post by DianaHaddad » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:49 am

I would have thought so, but I was going to look for a pic to post of the RI one, and I found a link saying theirs was older. But it was their own link, so who knows.
"Suck it, Trebek."

DianaHaddad
Stew Ingredient

Post by DianaHaddad » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:49 am

It is believed that the Watch Hill Carousel was made in 1867 by Andrew Christian and Charles Dare Company of New York City. The story goes that a traveling carnival brought the Carousel in 1883, but for some reason abandoned it. It is said to be the only surviving flying horse carousel in the country and the oldest continuously operating carousel in the United States. The treasure has survived disasters for over 125 years, including the devastating hurricane of 1938 and most recently Hurricane Sandy.
http://watchhillbeachandcarousel.com/ab ... ousel.aspx

Well "it is believed" makes for a convenient story.
The Flying Carousel is the nation’s oldest platform carousel and has been designated by the U.S. Department of the Interior as a national landmark. Constructed in 1876 by Charles Dare, it is one of only two Dare carousels still in existence. Originally operated as a Coney Island, NY amusement, it was moved to Oak Bluffs in 1884, where it has lived in its red barn, delighting generations of Island residents and visitors ever since. The carousel was acquired by the Preservation Trust in 1986 to prevent it from being dismantled and sold piecemeal to collectors of antique carved horses. The Trust undertook an extensive restoration of the Flying Horses, returning the carousel to its original appearance, complete with the historic panel paintings that were done by a Dare factory artist. The horses were individually restored by Rosa Regan, the premier carousel conservator in the United States.
http://mvpreservation.org/properties/fl ... -carousel/
"Suck it, Trebek."

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:03 am

Yeah, I'm going with the Vineyard's story as the more authenticated of the two.

DianaHaddad
Stew Ingredient

Post by DianaHaddad » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:26 am

I love Watch Hill, but I just re-read that you wrote "superior in every way". It's a tiny village, and not much bigger if you count Westerly. You can't really compare. Maybe WH vs. Oak Bluffs or Vineyard Haven. (Fun fact: I have a Vineyard Haven phone number.) But you can't compare WH to the whole of MV.

Have you been to any of the Elizabeth Islands?
"Suck it, Trebek."

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:26 pm

BulletPark wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:51 am
One of the reasons I've never taken Martha's Vineyard very seriously is that Watch Hill, Rhode Island, is superior in every way.
omg. said like a true blue-blood.

the great thing about the Vineyard is the demographics have long been emblematic of America in so many ways: runaway slaves, whalers (including African-Americans), the Wampanoag indian tribe, farmers, middle and working class, as well as the waspy wealthy. and for five decades, it has been a getaway for black professionals -- long before they were welcome in the other snooty summer resorts.

i beg to differ with you and that Rhode Island "superiority": amazing how that stuff just wont go away -- it's almost genetic.

i do enjoy these threads, and thank-you for your work, but those remarks really make me cringe.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:32 pm

Watch Hill is almost completely unknown outside of the people who actually go there. It is not overrun with tourists. And Katy Pery aside, it has as of this writing resisted becoming infected with shitbag celebrities and politicians and the attendant cuntishness they bring. It has also not been over-restored to the point that simply looking at it gives me cavities. Martha Stewart does not do cover issues about it. You can still find a crummy motel and lunch for under $200. And unlike Newport, which I also mention, it is not ground central for the sort of rich people whom Daisy Buchanan SHOULD be hitting with her car.

Please tell me what about the above is elitist.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:37 pm

As to African Americans, they had a historically significant presence in Rhode Island and in Newport, thus the jazz festival and one of the oldest Free Meeting Houses in the north. Happy to acknowledge the history, but it's not really what $et$ the tone for either of the$e place$ the$e day$.

FUUZ
Stew Ingredient

Post by FUUZ » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:30 pm

JJ

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:40 am

Some people here have evinced a hatred for Park City, Utah. Never been myself, but it looks okay to me.

Maybe they think it's too PC?

Ridiculous.

DianaHaddad
Stew Ingredient

Post by DianaHaddad » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:16 am

I liked Park City even though the lady in the tourist office snapped at me when I called something by a name that wasn't specific enough for her.

The museum was tiny but great.

The downtown was fun for a stroll but felt more plastic than, say, Lake Placid.

When I was there, Dec 3 plus further days a few years ago, it was a max of about 20 F and mostly never stopped snowing until April, according to the weather report I continued to follow when I got home.

I got very dehydrated there, and even after getting home just could not get enough water for a good 3 days. I also got an ear infection, which I'm sure had to do with altitude. Strange experience--Colorado (including Leadville) never had that effect on me.
"Suck it, Trebek."

Usher73
Stew Ingredient

Post by Usher73 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:31 am

I've never been there but it looks like a mix of Breckenridge Colorado and San Francisco.

FUUZ
Stew Ingredient

Post by FUUZ » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:32 am

Yerup^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:01 pm

As an excuse to bump this exquisite thread, I thought I'd post this The Most Beautiful Small Town In Every State .

Nowhere near as good as Bulletparks effort, but thought some people here might be interested.
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.

DianaHaddad
Stew Ingredient

Post by DianaHaddad » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:18 pm

Nice one, Moe. Are you originally from MI? Have you been to Saugatuck?

I can vouch for CT, MA and NY for sure. And people like Cape May too.
I don't think Noank (CT) has shops, though. Maybe there's a part of the village I'm not aware of. But you can go and see the house where Amelia Earhart was married. I was there this year on the 4th of July, before going towards RI (just minutes away).

Cold Spring (NY) is a great town and I was there on the 4th of July last year. There is a large waterfront park with a view of Storm King mountain and West Point.

Why is it that these articles only ever include Galena for IL? Do they just not have other cute small towns or something? Any other state seems to have a lot of choices, but IL is always represented by that one place.
"Suck it, Trebek."

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:26 pm

I have not been to Saugatuck; actually, Western Michigan is pretty much unknown to me as is much of Northen Michigan. It's kind of embarrassing, really. I'll have to remedy that before I leave the state.
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.

adi
Stew Ingredient

Post by adi » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:32 am

Fayette Michigan is an old ghost town worth looking at.
8888888.umami!.8888888

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:51 am

Hmm... Never heard of it. Looks interesting, but it's going to be a bit before i make a return to the UP. It's a hell of a drive, especially if you aren't going midweek.

Barbarella
Stew Ingredient

Post by Barbarella » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:23 pm

Woooowww BP just gorgeous pics, I wanna visit them all, snot fair.

I think you've done more to promote America and show it in a fabulous light than anyone here, great job.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:51 am

Slab City, California, is not a city. Nor is it a town, a village, a hamlet or a census-designated place. It is one of the few places in the US that is not legally recognized as a location - one of the few that is technically not only off the grid but off the legal and geographical books.

That doesn't mean there's nothing there.

In 1961, a quitclaim deed conveying the land to the State of California was issued by the Department of Defense as it was determined the army base that occupied the site was no longer required. The deed did not contain any restrictions, recapture clauses or restoration provisions - and nobody lived there.

As you can see, nobody has been real busy in the interim.

The slabs - all that is left of Camp Dunlap - have been colonized by snowbirds, artists, loners, meth heads, and quite probably the family from "The Hills Have Eyes." Described by some as an actual functioning anarchist community, it would be the most successful example and certainly the most colorful.

The local nightclub.

The place is thoughtfully divided into East Jesus and West Satan, with the former being the artist's colony. Not sure what the latter place is up to.

How would you describe this place? Planet of the Apes meets the Wizard of Oz? Sargent Pepper: Beyond Thunderdome? Keith Haring sucked down a bowl of bad sugar cubes and swan-dived through a 1959 Cadillac windshield?

However you'd describe it, better see it soon. It is evidently under threat from developers, as is every interesting thing everywhere on the planet.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:10 am

The pics aren't showing up. It might be rebooting time.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:49 am

I love the TV stack. But really, the California desert is fit only for weirdos, and desperate first home buyers.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!