Just saw someone hit by car

The Richard Allan Bodine Lounge... have a drink and talk about whatever you'd like

Moderator: Moderator

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Re: Just saw someone hit by car

Post by steveogolf » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:08 pm

Nifty 50 by steveo.
Steveo is my name, and golf is my game.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:25 pm

^ nope, you were 51
"Iranians apparently disagree with korgy"

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:33 pm

korgy wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:25 pm
^ nope, you were 51
No...he was the 50th reply...idiot.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:39 pm

and not a nifty as there was no cricketbreference. even I know that.
Anyone can go by horse or rail, but the absolute best way to travel is by hat.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:11 pm

korgy wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:42 pm
VINNY:

bicyclists, imo, create the most dangerous situations in traffic, and do the most dangerous things. period. therefore, they are the most dangerous, imo.

"DANGEROUS: 1) full of danger or risk; causing danger; perilous; risky; hazardous; unsafe.
2) able or likely to cause physical injury" (Dictionary.com)

the suffix "-ous" simply means "having the quality of..." or "full of.." or "having to do with..." DANGER.

there is no technicality here that i am winning a debate upon. the one interpretation that you chose to focus upon ("dangerous to themselves") is not the extent to how "dangerous" applies to bicyclists -- and i already used a few other examples (as did Logg). picking this apart is really unnecessary. "dangerous" is a broad spectrum, and in my opinion, bicyclists are the worst.
You are thinking like an entitled motorist. I have crooked ribs and a gimpy shoulder because of people like you. I am a taxpayer, and the roads belong to me as much as they do to some fat fuck who spends 20 hours a week behind the wheel of his Toyota. Pedestrians are dangerous too! If the didn't pedestrianate, they wouldn't force motorists to run them over!

Driving a car in a city like DC or NYC borders on sociopathy. I have zero sympathy for the self-inflicted travails of motorists. As I get older, I've moderated my views on just about everything. My radical hatred of car culture has only grown. It is beyond pathetic listening to someone from Fairfax Country bitch and mewl like a scalded kitten about parking in the District.
I am Stalking you.

2wilzgood
Stew Ingredient

Post by 2wilzgood » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:39 pm

Amateurs, the lot of you.
I used to feel empathy for the poor. Now I just want them all to die. - ScottBaio
You will die like a dog for no good reason. - Hemingway
My efforts here are wasted - wilz

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:49 pm

strife wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:11 pm
korgy wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:42 pm
VINNY:

bicyclists, imo, create the most dangerous situations in traffic, and do the most dangerous things. period. therefore, they are the most dangerous, imo.

"DANGEROUS: 1) full of danger or risk; causing danger; perilous; risky; hazardous; unsafe.
2) able or likely to cause physical injury" (Dictionary.com)

the suffix "-ous" simply means "having the quality of..." or "full of.." or "having to do with..." DANGER.

there is no technicality here that i am winning a debate upon. the one interpretation that you chose to focus upon ("dangerous to themselves") is not the extent to how "dangerous" applies to bicyclists -- and i already used a few other examples (as did Logg). picking this apart is really unnecessary. "dangerous" is a broad spectrum, and in my opinion, bicyclists are the worst.
You are thinking like an entitled motorist. I have crooked ribs and a gimpy shoulder because of people like you. I am a taxpayer, and the roads belong to me as much as they do to some fat fuck who spends 20 hours a week behind the wheel of his Toyota. Pedestrians are dangerous too! If the didn't pedestrianate, they wouldn't force motorists to run them over!

Driving a car in a city like DC or NYC borders on sociopathy. I have zero sympathy for the self-inflicted travails of motorists. As I get older, I've moderated my views on just about everything. My radical hatred of car culture has only grown. It is beyond pathetic listening to someone from Fairfax Country bitch and mewl like a scalded kitten about parking in the District.
no, i dont hate bicyclists. i dont want to hit them, they have a slim chance with a car. i give them space. but many hate drivers, and take dangerous stupid actions here. like i said: driving in the middle of a road, just to slow down traffic ( as a generic protest), when the much safer bike path is just next to it. that borders on some sort of mental issue.
You only get one turn on this merry-go-round of life. Chase your happiness. -Nines

cuchulainn
Instigator

Post by cuchulainn » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:50 pm

LA traffic is not cyclist friendly. While some are brave and ride in the street as they are supposed to, it’s legal to ride your bike albeit slowly on the sidewalk. Some dick knobs speed on the sidewalks and pedestrians have to jump out of the way.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:52 pm

Sidewalks are not the correct place for a bicycle, unless you are rolling up to an address on that same block, and you don't ride much faster than foot traffic. I am Revolted and Annoyed by fuckfaces on Capital Bikeshare tanks biking all around downtown on the sidewalks. They should be Destroyed.
I am Stalking you.

Electrolyte
Sole Guardian of Truth and Sanity

Post by Electrolyte » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:21 pm

strife wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:35 pm
Drivers in DC are maniacs. I've been a bike commuter here for the past five years, and hate the fuckers in cars. Another cyclist was killed last week by a fuckface in a truck who turned into the bike lane without looking, at M and 21st in West End. That's exactly what happened to me last year, Destroying my shoulder and collarbone. Every day I'm tempted to start carrying ball bearings in my pocket again while cycling around the District.
F---! I ride there all the time. The bike lane is separated from the street by a lane of parked cars. I thought it was one of the safer places to ride.

Sorry about your accident. That sounds horrible.

I don't ride with a helmet. I only ride short distances on the dockable city bikes, and I avoid busy streets. I would never think of riding a motorcycle or scooter without a helmet.

I run red lights after stopping and looking (which I do even when I have the right of way). I don't feel terribly guilty about it because if I do make a mistake I am the one who will suffer by far the worst consequences, and I'm not a cowboy about it.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:44 pm

Electrolyte wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:21 pm
strife wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:35 pm
Drivers in DC are maniacs. I've been a bike commuter here for the past five years, and hate the fuckers in cars. Another cyclist was killed last week by a fuckface in a truck who turned into the bike lane without looking, at M and 21st in West End. That's exactly what happened to me last year, Destroying my shoulder and collarbone. Every day I'm tempted to start carrying ball bearings in my pocket again while cycling around the District.
F---! I ride there all the time. The bike lane is separated from the street by a lane of parked cars. I thought it was one of the safer places to ride.

Sorry about your accident. That sounds horrible.

I don't ride with a helmet. I only ride short distances on the dockable city bikes, and I avoid busy streets. I would never think of riding a motorcycle or scooter without a helmet.

I run red lights after stopping and looking (which I do even when I have the right of way). I don't feel terribly guilty about it because if I do make a mistake I am the one who will suffer by far the worst consequences, and I'm not a cowboy about it.
Dude. Wear a helmet. No amount of defensive biking can protect you from one fuckface in a car. When I Destroyed my shoulder last year, it was a dipshitted motorist who gunned in front of me, and suddenly swerved to turn right. There was actual physical contact between the car and my leg, pushing me into the curb, where I planted hard on my right elbow. Car didn't bother to stop, but two others did, asking me if I was alright. I thought I was, and dismissed them with thanks for checking, after realizing that no one had gotten the license plate of the driver. Tried to get back on my back, realized that I was in No Condition to ride. Thankfully, I was a block from Takoma Metro station, and lived on the Red Line, so I schlepped my bike up to the train and rode it home to Union Station.

The parked cars were what was so troublesome about that M Street intersection. I use the M Street Travel Lane all the time too - I take an hour off many afternoons to swim laps in the Francis Pool, over at N and 25th. There's a ghost bike at the intersection now - keep your eye out for it. The parked cars blocked the view for cars turning right, and they'd fishhook cyclists with regularity at that intersection. DCDOT has blocked three of the parking spots now, in order not to obstruct the sightline.

I bike on busy streets all the time. 14th is the worst, but also the best if you're coming downtown. Anything south of U Street is downhill, and an absolutely joy early in the morning. It's also probably why I get Destroyed by cars. Right after I moved here, I was living up in Petworth, working downtown just outside of Metro Center. The bulk of my bike ride was down 14th, which has a bike lane, but a bike lane subject to dooring. Of course, I got doored, by a fucking cabbie. I walked away from it with nothing more than bloody elbows and knees, but cyclists get killed by dooring. An old housemate back in Minneapolis got doored once, and spent three days in the hospital with a perforated liver resulting from the door.
I am Stalking you.

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:20 pm

What?!?! No one got their licence number?

So you couldn't even sue....
You only get one turn on this merry-go-round of life. Chase your happiness. -Nines

Electrolyte

Post by Electrolyte » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:20 pm

You went home? Not to the ER? Did you go later?

Dooring scares the s--- out of me. I've had a couple of close calls and I am now very vigilant when I am riding alongside parked cars, including looking for people in the cars as I approach. A couple of months ago I saw what happened to a car that got doored. I mostly ride through the small streets of Foggy Bottom. I don't go fast. I used to commute along Penn. Ave., but then considered how dangerous it was.

Biking is dangerous, but in articles I've read there seems to be a consensus that it is less dangerous than not biking, in large part because of the exercise benefits:

https://www.theonion.com/thrill-seeking ... 1819577134

You've mentioned that pool. I need to check it out. Would it be good for my 3 yr old daughter?

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:26 pm

Electrolyte wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:20 pm
You went home? Not to the ER? Did you go later?

Dooring scares the s--- out of me. I've had a couple of close calls and I am now very vigilant when I am riding alongside parked cars, including looking for people in the cars as I approach. I mostly ride through the small streets of Foggy Bottom. I don't go fast. I used to commute along Penn. Ave., but then considered how dangerous it was.

Biking is dangerous, but in articles I've read there seems to be a consensus that it is less dangerous than not biking, in large part because of the exercise benefits:

https://www.theonion.com/thrill-seeking ... 1819577134

You've mentioned that pool. I need to check it out. Would it be good for my 3 yr old daughter?
No one was able to ID the car that hit me, no.

The Francis Pool would be totally fine for a three-year old. I always hang out down at the deep end - it's 12 feet deep down there, and that's where the adults hang out. There are lots of kids too over in the wading pool, but the area has a nice equilibrium. It's also fairly woodsy, and tranquil for an urban setting. And, as DC residents, we all get in for free.
I am Stalking you.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:35 pm

strife wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:52 pm
Sidewalks are not the correct place for a bicycle.
Fixed.

Electrolyte

Post by Electrolyte » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:36 pm

I meant the emergency room. How do you know your shoulder and collarbone are destroyed? Or do you just mean they hurt?

I've never heard of a friend or close aquaintance having a bad bike accident. A student of mine in grad school had his best friend killed when he was hit by a bike as a pedestrian. Thnks for all these stories. Useful warnings.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:45 pm

Electrolyte wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:36 pm
I meant the emergency room. How do you know your shoulder and collarbone are destroyed? Or do you just mean they hurt?

I've never heard of a friend or close aquaintance having a bad bike accident. A student of mine in grad school had his best friend killed when he was hit by a bike as a pedestrian. Thnks for all these stories. Useful warnings.
Ah. I went in to the ER after two days, once I realized/accepted that it wasn't going to get better. They reset my shoulder ("This is going to hurt."), and diagnosed a broken collarbone. I can still lift weights and swim - it wasn't a catastrophic injury - but it's gimpy. My left shoulder is even worse, and that's from an injury 18 years ago.
I am Stalking you.

Electrolyte

Post by Electrolyte » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:53 pm

Be careful with it. You could suffer more in years to come. Once your cartilage tears (sounds likely that it would have) it's like a rip in your sofa cushion that leads to all the foam inside wearing away. Keep lifting to strengthen the muscles around it, but avoid joint pain while doing so, which would be a sign that you are further stressing the cartilege.

I've seen how one moment of carelessness can have lifelong consequences. That's one of the things that makes me ride a bike carefully (except for not wearing a helmet, which would make the city bikes that I use pretty impractical).

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:35 am

strife wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:11 pm

i have no idea what you are talking about. do you even read other people's posts before responding? i dont own a car, i ride a bicycle -- i only use Zipcar for taking my dogs back and forth, or rent a car to drive out of town. i cant stand car culture, generally.

you really dont know what you are talking about. because your theories about "car culture" or entitled motorists have nothing to do with what i said: it is obvious to me that in NYC, where i have lived for 3 1/2 decades, bicyclists in general as a group are clearly the most wreckless, and put themselves in the most dangerous situations, and create the most danger. when i ride my bike, i am screaming at other bicylclists much more than cars and much more than pedestrians.

the fact that you are afraid of being hit by a car, rightfully so, has nothing to do with the fact that bicyclists are the most wreckless. the fact that a bicyclist can be flattened by a car, and not the reverse, has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that bicyclists do the most phenomenally stupid things on the road.

you sound very defensive to me. i'm betting you are one of those assholes who rides 25 mph through stoplights against you, and goes the wrong way down bike paths, and weaves in and out of car traffic, and flies through crowds of pedestrians when they have the right of way.
Last edited by korgy on Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Iranians apparently disagree with korgy"

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:41 am

Reckless is the word I think you're trying to abuse, you varmint Quisling fake friend of animals.
I am Stalking you.