What was I doing when England beat Sweden?

Fast Kicking. Low Scoring. And Ties? You Bet!
NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

What was I doing when England beat Sweden?

Post by NorthAmerican » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:48 pm

I tried to make this a poll, but failed. Here are some numbered options for you to consider if you wish to reply:

1. I don't know, and I don't care; I try to mind my own business.
2. Recovering from the effects of having swallowed a drug the night before.
3. You're not a sports fan. How did you even know who was playing?
4. Watching the match on TV, but so far from the set that I couldn't hear it.
5. So close to home that I could have walked the distance from that TV.
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Re: What was I doing when England beat Sweden?

Post by Lincoln » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:16 pm

Well i'mgoing for option 4 or 5 NA... I hope you did get to see it...it was such an awesome day today,i'dhate to think you were denied tis experience.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:20 pm

6. sleeping
Anyone can go by horse or rail, but the absolute best way to travel is by hat.

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:05 pm

mad hatter wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:20 pm
6. sleeping
That wasn't one of the options offered, and anyway it's WRONG.

To Lincoln: Your reply made me realize I should have added something: "There might be more than one correct choice among the five options offered."
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:07 pm

NorthAmerican wrote:
mad hatter wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:20 pm
6. sleeping
That wasn't one of the options offered, and anyway it's WRONG.

To Lincoln: Your reply made me realize I should have added something: "There might be more than one correct choice among the five options offered."
i was sleeping!
Anyone can go by horse or rail, but the absolute best way to travel is by hat.

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:20 pm

O.K., mad hatter, you get a "Correct!" with that answer. I meant the options to apply to what I, NorthAmerican, was doing, but I probably didn't make that clear.

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:19 pm

What I was doing when England thumped Sweden was working at the theatre on my day off. The Swedish company in residence this week had made a bit of a fuss about watching the game projected onto their set, but didn’t turn up until 5 minutes before kick off so I suggested they go to the pub instead.

Have we talked about how good this England side are? As in, an actually good team?

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:00 pm

I pick No. 2. My theory is that NA unexpectedly became a last minute soccer fan and went on a bit of a bender last night in anticipation of the big games today. He was sleeping off his ecstasy pills this morning.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:23 pm

Some very good answers!

Two correct choices, one almost-half-correct choice.

If I'm still around after my whirlwind weekend I'll reveal which choices were correct and acceptable.

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:28 pm

NorthAmerican wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:48 pm
I tried to make this a poll, but failed....
I also failed to give it a life preserver that would keep it from sinking in all the curry posts that drowned it.

In fact, all five options were correct, even if options 1 and 3 were a little rude.

I was "watching" the match from a hospital bed while recovering from having gargled with and then swallowed liquid lidocaine and an instrument that would do a transesophageal electrocardiogram, or TEE. The view is from beneath the heart, a view that neither a regular EKG nor an echocardiogram can provide. I can attest to the fact that liquid lidocaine is thick and not at all tasty. The TEE was done in the hospital's cardiology lab, but after I swallowed the lidocaine and they sprayed my throat to numb it, the next thing I remember is people calling my name and slapping my face. I opened my eyes and saw the cardiology team, but we weren't in the cardiology lab but back upstairs, and I was in my own hospital bed.

It was my roommate who had the match on his TV, but with the sound turned down to the point where only he could hear it. The hospital is less than a mile from where I live, so I could have walked home. The hospital arranged for a cab, though, and gave me a voucher that paid the fare and provided a tip for the driver as well.

I hope that answers any questions that the few who responded might have. Should I give a "Best Wrong Answer" prize to northern_goddess? She was only wrong on the drinking part and the name of the drug.

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:29 pm

NorthAmerican wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:28 pm
NorthAmerican wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:48 pm
I tried to make this a poll, but failed....
I also failed to give it a life preserver that would keep it from sinking in all the curry posts that drowned it.

In fact, all five options were correct, even if options 1 and 3 were a little rude.

I was "watching" the match from a hospital bed while recovering from having gargled with and then swallowed liquid lidocaine and an instrument that would do a transesophageal electrocardiogram, or TEE. The view is from beneath the heart, a view that neither a regular EKG nor an echocardiogram can provide. I can attest to the fact that liquid lidocaine is thick and not at all tasty. The TEE was done in the hospital's cardiology lab, but after I swallowed the lidocaine and they sprayed my throat to numb it, the next thing I remember is people calling my name and slapping my face. I opened my eyes and saw the cardiology team, but we weren't in the cardiology lab but back upstairs, and I was in my own hospital bed.

It was my roommate who had the match on his TV, but with the sound turned down to the point where only he could hear it. The hospital is less than a mile from where I live, so I could have walked home. The hospital arranged for a cab, though, and gave me a voucher that paid the fare and provided a tip for the driver as well.

I hope that answers any questions that the few who responded might have. Should I give a "Best Wrong Answer" prize to Scrubb? She was only wrong on the drinking part and the name of the drug.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:44 pm

How are you feeling now, NA?

Well, I hope.

It's probably good that they didn't check for memory loss by asking you who won.

harry_flashman
Stew Ingredient

Post by harry_flashman » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:54 pm

The game kicked of at 10pm local time unfortunately the arsewipes at TV1 had it as one of their delayed broadcasts but they didn’t indicate this on the schedule. I ended up streaming it on my laptop but I don’t like uk coverage so I watched the second half on some American broadcast with Ian Wright doing the half time summaries. The co commentator was a women and she was ok.
Hello Flashman

coward, cad, lecher and knave-of-all-trades

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:48 pm

after I swallowed the lidocaine and they sprayed my throat to numb it, the next thing I remember is people calling my name and slapping my face.
I hope this is what was supposed to happen and you're OK.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:52 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:44 pm
How are you feeling now, NA? Well, I hope.
It's probably good that they didn't check for memory loss by asking you who won.
Pretty well, thanks. They had done an echocardiogram and a CT scan of my heart, both of which seemed to show a growth on one of the valves. That kind of growth, they said, can break off and cause a stroke. That's why they recommended the TEE. A agreed within a minute, asking only when it would be done. Right now, they said, and I was down in the cardiology lab soon after.

I wrote earlier that neither an echocardiogram nor an EKG can provide the view that the TEE gives them. They had done an EKG earlier, but that just traces the heartbeat and the waves; no view, in other words. Then they did the CT scan, then the echo, and finally the TEE. I'm particularly sensitive to anesthesia of any kind, so it usually takes more time than expected for me to regain consciousness. The slapping speeded up my awakening.

I do know who won, by the way; some foreigners in red uniforms. There apparently was a lot of talk about their "bringing it home," whatever "it" is.

Agent009
Stew Ingredient

Post by Agent009 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:02 pm

I hope you are feeeling better, and they get you all sorted out NA.

NorthAmerican wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:52 pm
There apparently was a lot of talk about their "bringing it home," whatever "it" is.
I believe 'it' is antibiotic resistant gonorrhea.......
If it does 'make it home' itll likely end up somewhere in leeeeeeeds, since as we all know, they are dooooooooooooooooooomed.
Choose my bluest tape and unlock my car
An honest tune with a lingering lead has taken me this far

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:17 pm

Don't worry, I'm not offended you confused me with northern_goddess. She might be, though.

And of course I deserve the prize!

Also, hope the results of the procedure put your mind at ease.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:23 pm

Scrubb wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:17 pm
Don't worry, I'm not offended you confused me with northern_goddess. She might be, though.
And of course I deserve the prize!
Also, hope the results of the procedure put your mind at ease.
I was disappointed to see that someone commented on my post even as I was correcting it from northern_goddess to Scrubb, but I'm glad you weren't offended. And yes, the results did put my mind at ease.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:33 pm

Hope everything's OK with your health, NA. Still, it seems a fairly minor thing to miss the Game of the Century (so far) for.
Our problem is civil obedience. -Howard Zinn

jessica_fletcher
Stew Ingredient

Post by jessica_fletcher » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:24 pm

It’s ok, he can watch on Wednesday.

na, who are you going to support? THINK CAREFULLY before you answer....we know where you live...
VinnyD wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:13 pm
Oops.

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:02 pm

jessica_fletcher wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:24 pm
It’s ok, he can watch on Wednesday.
na, who are you going to support? THINK CAREFULLY before you answer....we know where you live...
Odd that you ask that question just now, because I deleted an e-mail this morning without reading it; I thought it was spam.

The sender was Jessica, and the title line asked Are you in Chicago?I knew it couldn't have come from you, because everyone here probably knows that I live in Chicago. But now I wonder if you were just checking to see if I still live where your spreadsheet puts me.

Who will I support in the final match? Give me time to think about it....

jessica_fletcher
Stew Ingredient

Post by jessica_fletcher » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:21 pm

You've got 30 seconds, fella
VinnyD wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:13 pm
Oops.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:23 pm

It isn't quite the final, NA.

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:02 pm

I think I could be persuaded to support the team who will be playing in all-white uniforms.

Tonight's early evening newscast reported that tomorrow's match (I've already forgotten who's playing) will be shown on a giant screen at Wrigley Field, which is right in my neighborhood. They didn't mention, though, what time the England-Croatia match will be played on Wednesday, or whether that one will also be shown at Wrigley Field.

bundes
Stew Ingredient

Post by bundes » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:08 pm

France vs Belgium tomorrow

1pm both days