Do You Hope Trump Fails?

Berning Trumpeters vs The Establishment

Moderator: Moderator

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Re: Do You Hope Trump Fails?

Post by Citizen Baba » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:25 pm

5waldos wrote: Already those in coal country are waking up to the fact that if the ACA is repealed they may well lose their black lung benefits, or at least many of them. They are surprised that he may actually do some of the things he swore for months that he would do.

Fuck em. It's what they voted for.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:34 pm

Citizen Baba wrote:Sounds like you are defining a successful presidency as Trump not being Trump. I don't know that's possible.

Also, what expenditures would you like to see reduced in conjunction with the tax cuts in order for there not to be a larger deficit?

Not really, I'm still using the main talking points he's made. Basically, I'm just hoping he pursues those agenda items with an eye towards appealing to more than just the farthest right partisans. I know it's probably naive to wish for more bipartisanship in this day and age, but that's what I'm hoping for. The fact that the Republican establishment hates him gives some hope for that.

I'd like to see across the board expenditure cuts. Healthcare reform has to tackle costs in a more meaningful way than the ACA did. I wouldn't mind seeing an increased retirement age and (I can't believe I'm about to type this) means testing of SS benefits. Even better would be privatization and a reduction in payroll taxes. Military spending cuts would have to come into it as well, if NATO members kicked in more and we shut down more foreign bases (or Trump browbeats countries into paying more for them) that could help offset reduced spending.

Ideally, tax simplification would not just mean cuts in overall government revenue. Lower rates + fewer deductions is my preference.

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:42 pm

muthafunky wrote:
Citizen Baba wrote:Sounds like you are defining a successful presidency as Trump not being Trump. I don't know that's possible.

Also, what expenditures would you like to see reduced in conjunction with the tax cuts in order for there not to be a larger deficit?

Not really, I'm still using the main talking points he's made. Basically, I'm just hoping he pursues those agenda items with an eye towards appealing to more than just the farthest right partisans. I know it's probably naive to wish for more bipartisanship in this day and age, but that's what I'm hoping for. The fact that the Republican establishment hates him gives some hope for that.

I'd like to see across the board expenditure cuts. Healthcare reform has to tackle costs in a more meaningful way than the ACA did. I wouldn't mind seeing an increased retirement age and (I can't believe I'm about to type this) means testing of SS benefits. Even better would be privatization and a reduction in payroll taxes. Military spending cuts would have to come into it as well, if NATO members kicked in more and we shut down more foreign bases (or Trump browbeats countries into paying more for them) that could help offset reduced spending.

Ideally, tax simplification would not just mean cuts in overall government revenue. Lower rates + fewer deductions is my preference.

You did say taxes reduced, not just simplified. And Trump and Republicans are going to cap healthcare costs and reduce military spending right after Dave Grohl flies out your ass. Any reduction in SS benefits wouldn't happen for a generation. So, basically what we are looking at is voodoo economics: taxes cut, deficit increases, just like what happened under W.

Democrats are tax and spend. Republicans are don't tax and spend. Me thinks one is more fiscally responsible than the other.

birdlite
Stew Ingredient

Post by birdlite » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:43 pm

5waldos wrote:

Kinda agree here- And I fear that Trump is going to be far more Trump than anybody (including his fans) really hope for. Already those in coal country are waking up to the fact that if the ACA is repealed they may well lose their black lung benefits, or at least many of them. They are surprised that he may actually do some of the things he swore for months that he would do.

I read that and was going to do an OP.

As to the question in the OP, I hope Trump doesn't fail as a president to listen to the will of all the people and their representatives.
I hope he succeeds in battling ISIS.
I hope he fails to build the wall.
I hope he succeeds in breaking his ties to Russia
I hope he succeeds in divesting himself from his business before Jan 20
I hope he fails in returning to dirty coal over the free market desire to move away from dirty coal
I hope he succeeds in convincing manufacturers to hire in the US without creating trade wars

I hope the US continues to thrive in the next 4 years as well as it as, or better, than the last 4 years

I could go on..unless comrade Max wants to refine his question,

Logg
Stew Ingredient

Post by Logg » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:44 pm

He already has failed. He ain't building the wall and he ain't locking Hillary up. It's only going to go downhill from here.

nycfellow
Stew Ingredient

Post by nycfellow » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:48 pm

And Trump and Republicans are going to cap healthcare costs and reduce military spending right after Dave Grohl flies out your ass. Any reduction in SS benefits wouldn't happen for a generation. So, basically what we are looking at is voodoo economics: taxes cut, deficit increases, just like what happened under W.

There's another place to get money, which the Republicans have already made clear they are going to try: reducing Medicaid and Medicare spending. The plan is already in Congress - convert Medicare into a voucher program for buying insurance and cap the value. In practice, this will mean a large reduction in coverage for the oldest and sickest. And there will be a large increase in the deficit.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:50 pm

You did say taxes reduced, not just simplified.

Yes, it's hard to remember to always say tax rates reduced. As I elaborated, my preference is for reduced rates + fewer deductions.

And Trump and Republicans are going to cap healthcare costs and reduce military spending right after Dave Grohl flies out your ass.

I don't agree, but ok.

Any reduction in SS benefits wouldn't happen for a generation.

Not necessarily, you could also means test immediately, though I think that would probably be a hard sell. You could increase the tax rate cap immediately.

Logg
Stew Ingredient

Post by Logg » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:58 pm

muthafunky wrote:

You realize he can barely even use words longer than one syllable? His attention span would have stopped before the halfway point of your post. And he won with a platform of catchy bit phrases that he tested out on an audience of rubes. He's not capable of coming up with complex policies. That'll be up to the other Republicans.

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:00 pm

muthafunky wrote:
You did say taxes reduced, not just simplified.

Yes, it's hard to remember to always say tax rates reduced. As I elaborated, my preference is for reduced rates + fewer deductions.

What deductions has Trump suggested eliminating?

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:01 pm

What I find interesting is Trump seems to be an inkblot where Republicans can all read their pet issues.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:02 pm

You realize he can barely even use words longer than one syllable? His attention span would have stopped before the halfway point of your post. And he won with a platform of catchy bit phrases that he tested out on an audience of rubes. He's not capable of coming up with complex policies. That'll be up to the other Republicans.

No doubt, the complex policies will depend on other Republicans and for legislation and spending that's going to be up to Congress. Note I'm not saying how likely a Trump success is, just what it could look like.

Maxwell
Stew Ingredient

Post by Maxwell » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:02 pm

Logg wrote:He already has failed. He ain't building the wall and he ain't locking Hillary up. It's only going to go downhill from here.

He's building the wall. If he doesn't, he's finished m

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:04 pm

Citizen Baba wrote:What deductions has Trump suggested eliminating?

I'm not aware that he has suggested any.

nycfellow
Stew Ingredient

Post by nycfellow » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:11 pm

Oh he'll build a wall. There's already more than 100 miles of border fencing. He'll fill in the holes with a few dozen more miles of fence that's a little higher and a little sturdier looking than the current fence, fly down, have photos taken and declare that he's built the most beautiful wall ever. And he'll have some story about negotiations with Mexico on an unrelated topic and then he'll say that means that Mexico paid for it.

Logg
Stew Ingredient

Post by Logg » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:20 pm

Maxwell wrote:
Logg wrote:He already has failed. He ain't building the wall and he ain't locking Hillary up. It's only going to go downhill from here.

You make a good point. As long as he's 'building' the wall, his base will support him. Whether it actually gets built within his term or has any usefulness is beside the point. In the same way, he can keep saying Mexico's gonna pay for it...eventually.

It's Trump University Economics 101.

"Oh he'll build a wall. There's already more than 100 miles of border fencing. He'll fill in the holes with a few dozen more miles of fence that's a little higher and a little sturdier looking than the current fence, fly down, have photos taken and declare that he's built the most beautiful wall ever. And he'll have some story about negotiations with Mexico on an unrelated topic and then he'll say that means that Mexico paid for it."

Indeed.

Kilombo
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kilombo » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:22 pm

Fail on what? Obviously he will fail with all the promises he already did. Everybody with 2 brain cells working knows that. Now he could obviously do a satisfying presidency if he uses some good advisors and does not most of the shite he talked during the campaign
Prost!

Maxwell
Stew Ingredient

Post by Maxwell » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:49 pm

Logg wrote:
Maxwell wrote:

You make a good point. As long as he's 'building' the wall, his base will support him. Whether it actually gets built within his term or has any usefulness is beside the point. In the same way, he can keep saying Mexico's gonna pay for it...eventually.

"Oh he'll build a wall. There's already more than 100 miles of border fencing. He'll fill in the holes with a few dozen more miles of fence that's a little higher and a little sturdier looking than the current fence, fly down, have photos taken and declare that he's built the most beautiful wall ever. And he'll have some story about negotiations with Mexico on an unrelated topic and then he'll say that means that Mexico paid for it."

Indeed.

Keep this in mind, Trump isn't a politician. He's a business man that gets things built. Now if he had been a politician his entire career, I'd expect not much to happen regarding the wall. I don't think he's going to suddenly turn bureaucrat the day he is sworn in.

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:06 pm

Kilombo wrote:Fail on what? Obviously he will fail with all the promises he already did. Everybody with 2 brain cells working knows that. Now he could obviously do a satisfying presidency if he uses some good advisors and does not most of the shite he talked during the campaign

IF he uses some good advisors. And IF he stops the shite talk. Neither seem very likely at this point.

nycfellow
Stew Ingredient

Post by nycfellow » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:07 pm

Keep this in mind, Trump isn't a politician. He's a business man that gets things built. Now if he had been a politician his entire career, I'd expect not much to happen regarding the wall. I don't think he's going to suddenly turn bureaucrat the day he is sworn in.

Well, we'll see. Trump won't tell us anything about his businesses, so it's hard to know how successful they are. When stuff has made it into the public record, it's not impressive. Trump has sued several people for "libeling" him by understating his worth, and he has lost all of those lawsuits. Only one of his companies has ever been publicly-traded and so subject to disclosure laws. Trump paid himself millions of dollars a year as CEO. The company went bankrupt four times (once before it went public). It lost money every single year it existed. People who believed Trump when the IPO took place ended up losing all but a few cents on each invested dollar. Those who bought its bonds also lost money. Most of the large NY banks will not lend money to anything related to Trump. Most of his financing appears to be foreign, though no one knows for sure. So, from what's on the record, his main talent appears to be convincing people to invest in his businesses and losing it all, while paying himself handsomely.

equus
Modern Leftits

Post by equus » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:36 pm

I hope he makes America great. I hope he increases prosperity for all Americans. I hope he increases security and public safety. I hope he increases freedom of speech, and liberty of Americans to live their lives without government interference.

I'm not holding my breath tho.
If I can shoot rabbits, then I can shoot fascists.

birdlite
Stew Ingredient

Post by birdlite » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:06 am

Maxwell wrote:
Logg wrote:
Maxwell wrote:He's building the wall. If he doesn't, he's finished m

Indeed.

He is going to build the Atlantic City of Walls!

Maxwell
Stew Ingredient

Post by Maxwell » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:23 am

nycfellow wrote:

Well, we'll see. Trump won't tell us anything about his businesses, so it's hard to know how successful they are. When stuff has made it into the public record, it's not impressive. Trump has sued several people for "libeling" him by understating his worth, and he has lost all of those lawsuits. Only one of his companies has ever been publicly-traded and so subject to disclosure laws. Trump paid himself millions of dollars a year as CEO. The company went bankrupt four times (once before it went public). It lost money every single year it existed. People who believed Trump when the IPO took place ended up losing all but a few cents on each invested dollar. Those who bought its bonds also lost money. Most of the large NY banks will not lend money to anything related to Trump. Most of his financing appears to be foreign, though no one knows for sure. So, from what's on the record, his main talent appears to be convincing people to invest in his businesses and losing it all, while paying himself handsomely.

Well gee, where did his family get that 20 million they gave to St. Jude Hospital?

incognita
red fanged She-devil

Post by incognita » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:29 am

No one knows, because they didn't give any such donation. Lies again...https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... ae42e7b95a

To clarify, Eric Trump pledged to raise 20 million, over the next 10 years. So it's a promise, not an actual donation
As an adult, the beer aisle at the grocery makes me feel exactly like the cereal aisle made me feel as a kid.

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:54 am

incognita wrote:No one knows, because they didn't give any such donation. Lies again...https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... ae42e7b95a

To clarify, Eric Trump pledged to raise 20 million, over the next 10 years. So it's a promise, not an actual donation

That's about as binding as Donnie's vow to "lock her up".

nycfellow
Stew Ingredient

Post by nycfellow » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:57 am

Well, and it's a pledge to raise $20M, not to give it.

Maxwell
Stew Ingredient

Post by Maxwell » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:55 am

nycfellow wrote:Well, and it's a pledge to raise $20M, not to give it.

They're giving a bunch. I know none of you want to give them any credit for doing anything good.

nycfellow
Stew Ingredient

Post by nycfellow » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:05 am

Yes, he's given some money. But he has a long history of making large claims about his philanthropy that are not supported by any evidence. Here in NYC we've been watching him make grandiose claims and break promises for 30 years.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:10 am

nycfellow wrote: Here in NYC we've been watching him make grandiose claims and break promises for 30 years.

Maxwell seems to like that. He isn't interested in facts, just in regurgitating Trump's own lies... err, talking points. As is evidenced in this threads and several others he has on the go.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

eric84

Post by eric84 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:19 am

The story about how he stiffed veterans was particularly odious.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:28 am

Maxwell wrote:
nycfellow wrote:Well, and it's a pledge to raise $20M, not to give it.

They're giving a bunch. I know none of you want to give them any credit for doing anything good.

Eric is spearheading this pledge. Which, for good or ill, has nothing to do with Daddy.

Unless you voted for whole family, your point is moot.

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:59 am

He's awful. He can't help but fail.

But, of course, I know and hope the country will improve despite him.
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!

Maxwell
Stew Ingredient

Post by Maxwell » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:14 am

northern_goddess wrote:
nycfellow wrote: Here in NYC we've been watching him make grandiose claims and break promises for 30 years.

Maxwell seems to like that. He isn't interested in facts, just in regurgitating Trump's own lies... err, talking points. As is evidenced in this threads and several others he has on the go.

Yes, I'm just so pleased that Hillary was considered a shoe in and enjoy immensely rubbing your snotty arrogant faces in it.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:17 am

You don't have very good reading comprehension skills, do you?
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

Maxwell
Stew Ingredient

Post by Maxwell » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:08 am

northern_goddess wrote:You don't have very good reading comprehension skills, do you?

Oh, you know I do. I know your gsme. Try that crap on someone else. You're one dimensional and a very weak sister.

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:52 am

You may as well put Trump on the mound in the World Series as make him President.
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!

Kilombo
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kilombo » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:22 pm

Maxwell wrote:Keep this in mind, Trump isn't a politician. He's a business man that gets things built. Now if he had been a politician his entire career, I'd expect not much to happen regarding the wall. I don't think he's going to suddenly turn bureaucrat the day he is sworn in.

Do you have at least 2 brain cells to make some comon sense? It isn't easy to build up buisness but if it fails you shut it down and build up another one. You can't do this with a government. You can make a mistake in marketing strategies and you will sell less but mistakes being president have much more impact eberywhere. Exactly the fact that he has no idea about politics andd obviously is so stupid to think that a government is managed excatly like a buiness is the main problem. Apart from that he has already proofen to be a complete ignorant about a lot of important political issues. That wouldn't matter much to the rest of the world if he would bcome the president of Paraguay or Andorra.
Prost!

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:06 pm

i think cretins like Maxwell have a tough time understanding that some people think more about actual policies and their effects on human beings than whether or not a figurehead is winning or losing.
"Iranians apparently disagree with korgy"

Ignominy
Stew Ingredient

Post by Ignominy » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:28 pm

korgy wrote:cretins like Maxwell have a tough time understanding

You should've stopped here.
Je suis le champignon vénéneux qui fait vomir l'intrépide.

Maxwell
Stew Ingredient

Post by Maxwell » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:05 pm

Kilombo wrote:
Maxwell wrote:Keep this in mind, Trump isn't a politician. He's a business man that gets things built. Now if he had been a politician his entire career, I'd expect not much to happen regarding the wall. I don't think he's going to suddenly turn bureaucrat the day he is sworn in.

Do you have at least 2 brain cells to make some comon sense? It isn't easy to build up buisness but if it fails you shut it down and build up another one. You can't do this with a government. You can make a mistake in marketing strategies and you will sell less but mistakes being president have much more impact eberywhere. Exactly the fact that he has no idea about politics andd obviously is so stupid to think that a government is managed excatly like a buiness is the main problem. Apart from that he has already proofen to be a complete ignorant about a lot of important political issues. That wouldn't matter much to the rest of the world if he would bcome the president of Paraguay or Andorra.

"Proofen"??? Did you get that from your two brain cells?

Maxwell
Stew Ingredient

Post by Maxwell » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:07 pm

korgy wrote:i think cretins like Maxwell have a tough time understanding that some people think more about actual policies and their effects on human beings than whether or not a figurehead is winning or losing.

How's that obamacare policy working? How's that Solyndra alternative energy policy working? Turnip brain.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:50 pm

Maxwell wrote:
korgy wrote:i think cretins like Maxwell have a tough time understanding that some people think more about actual policies and their effects on human beings than whether or not a figurehead is winning or losing.

How's that obamacare policy working? How's that Solyndra alternative energy policy working? Turnip brain.

Ah yes, still cunting off about Obama. I guess we'll be hearing you bleat about him for four years or less.

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:40 pm

I check back in, and Maxwell is still performing analingus on this thread.

Maxwell
Stew Ingredient

Post by Maxwell » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:24 am

BulletPark wrote:
Maxwell wrote:

Ah yes, still cunting off about Obama. I guess we'll be hearing you bleat about him for four years or less.

Wasted more taxpayer's money than any five presidents combined. Worthless mongrel.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:33 am

I don't think he can top the billions wasted on a fruitless invasion of Iraq by Shrub that you supported.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Maxwell
Stew Ingredient

Post by Maxwell » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:41 am

eric84 wrote:I don't think he can top the billions wasted on a fruitless invasion of Iraq by Shrub that you supported.

No, I didn't support the invasion of Iraq and neither did Trump. Your girl Hillary did.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:52 am

Oh, Trump did. On the record supporting it.

nycfellow
Stew Ingredient

Post by nycfellow » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:56 am

Oh, Trump did. On the record supporting it.

And then repeatedly lied about it.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:23 am

One of the highlights of debate 1 was Trumpiedoodle yell, 'Talk to Hannity!, talk to Hannity!!'

SeamusMcCool
Stew Ingredient

Post by SeamusMcCool » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:16 am

No need to hope he is already a failure. There is nothing that jackass could possibly do to erase the fact he isn't even sworn in yet and his Presidency is an amateur hour 3rd world republic shit show. Hugo Chavez was a better President. Trump does have lots of time to change his ways too bad his narcissism won't allow that and his total lack of skill or experience at governing can't be improved upon in 4 short years.

Enjoy your own Rob Ford America.

temporaryhandle2
Stew Ingredient

Post by temporaryhandle2 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:28 am

Maxwell wrote:
northern_goddess wrote:

Yes, I'm just so pleased that Hillary was considered a shoe in and enjoy immensely rubbing your snotty arrogant faces in it.

And that's all you and your deluded fellow supporters have, isn't it?

Wait until inflation gets out of control as Trump prints money to pay for what he does. Or better yet, he sells you to the Russians. He loves debt, after all.

How will you feel when the US is bankrupt, Maxwell?

See how far your pension gets you then Maxwell. Will you still be rubbing faces in the victory then?

Sad!