The Ironicalness of "Russian Hacking" of the Election

Berning Trumpeters vs The Establishment
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Re: The Ironicalness of "Russian Hacking" of the Election

Post by VinnyD » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:52 am

Ped Yai, how do you know she is not a citizen?

Ped_Yai
Stew Ingredient

Post by Ped_Yai » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:01 am

VinnyD wrote:Ped Yai, how do you know she is not a citizen?

VinnyD wrote:Ped Yai, how do you know she is not a citizen?

To be precise, I know she was not a citizen at the time I saw the sample ballot with her name on it which only gets sent to registered voters. That was many years ago. I know it was prior to October 2009 because it was before we met her mother and father at a wedding in Bangkok, and that's when we met them.

Let's do this step by step, working backwards from 2009. Except in case of marriage to a US citizen, which did not happen in her case, to become a US Citizen you must have held a green card for five years. A green card can take up to a year to get, assuming you are even eligible to apply. There are limited bases of eligibility to APPLY for a green card, specified by statute. Mrs. Ped's cousin did not meet any of them. She came over on a student visa. Even if she had met the criteria of someone eligible to apply for a green card, there is a waiting list of many years' duration, EXCEPT for a very few categories none of which she met, fiancee being one. By way of example my niece as the adult child of a permanent resident is eligible to immigrate to the US and successfully applied. She's on a seven year waiting list.

The notion that Mrs. Ped's cousin would have come over on a student visa, without any basis for change of status to immigrant, and thereafter met all the criteria necessary and done everything necessary within the time necessary to first get a green card and ultimately obtain citizenship within seven years is a non-starter. If it had happened, I would have heard about it because we used to see her quite often in those days.

In fact a couple of years after she got here she asked me about the procedure for getting a green card by marrying some Vietnamese-American guy. I told her the first thing she needs to do is make sure he's a citizen, not a resident alien. The guy faded from the scene and it didn't happen.

Bottom line, I know what I saw and I know what the significance of it was. You can believe it or don't.
No subject on which I am called to speak is ever slighted, and if a moral lesson or a religious precept can be drawn from it, the opportunity is never allowed to pass unheeded. My constant aim is to elevate and instruct humanity.

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:52 am

Who knows, but all we have is anecdotal at best evidence that people are registered. No one can present any non-citizen they know for sure has voted.

Even in 4F Bob's election, they audited and threw out a bunch of questionable votes, it wasn't enough to change the result.
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:52 am

I think people have become citizens without holding a green card for five years.

In any case, if you PM me her name and address, I will report her to the body that supervises elections there, if you are unwilling to do so. Although I would like it if you could check on her citizenship status first.

Ignominy
Stew Ingredient

Post by Ignominy » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:52 pm

VinnyD wrote:I think people have become citizens without holding a green card for five years.

And how is that? Link, please.
Je suis le champignon vénéneux qui fait vomir l'intrépide.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:32 pm

What springs first to mind is three years of permanent residency while married to a citizen. But there is also this. And Act of Congress, although they don't do that as often as they used to.