Saving a Company

Berning Trumpeters vs The Establishment
User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 62773
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Saving a Company

Post by VinnyD » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:36 pm

You made me go back to fix the typo in the post that you quoted, and I see that you added the typo.

Grumble.

User avatar
shunter
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 17014
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:56 pm

Re: Saving a Company

Post by shunter » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:10 am

VinnyD wrote:You made me go back to fix the typo in the post that you quoted, and I see that you added the typo.


That's aspergers
1988: "We have a climate in Britain in which business wants to succeed and can succeed." Margaret Thatcher, speech to launch the European Single Market

2018: "Fuck business." Boris Johnson

User avatar
5waldos
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15796
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:58 pm

Re: Saving a Company

Post by 5waldos » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:16 am

$7 million over ten years

User avatar
5waldos
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15796
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:58 pm

Re: Saving a Company

Post by 5waldos » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:39 am

shunter wrote:
VinnyD wrote:You made me go back to fix the typo in the post that you quoted, and I see that you added the typo.


That's aspergers

No. sorry but no. OCD maybe but aspergers? No.

User avatar
birdlite
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 10726
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:00 am

Re: Saving a Company

Post by birdlite » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:09 am

And now Carrier has announced higher prices .
Carrier Corp., the maker of air conditioners that was persuaded by President-elect Donald Trump to abort plans to close a U.S. factory, is increasing prices to stay competitive as higher costs weigh on the industry.

The United Technologies Corp. division that includes brands such as Carrier and Bryant will raise the amount it charges for residential and commercial HVAC equipment by as much as 5 percent, according to a company statement. The change will go into effect Jan. 1.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... osure-plan

User avatar
5waldos
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15796
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:58 pm

Re: Saving a Company

Post by 5waldos » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:16 am

I am SHOCKED! SHOCKED I say. Who would ever have guessed.

Although the plant mostly staying built furnaces. Let's keep this straight.

User avatar
muthafunky
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 22638
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:50 am

Re: Saving a Company

Post by muthafunky » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:32 am

If you're arguing it's better to have lower prices at the expense of jobs you're exactly the reason Trump won.

User avatar
Godjira
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 66533
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:52 pm

Re: Saving a Company

Post by Godjira » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:34 am

Trump ran on an inflation platform??
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!

User avatar
shunter
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 17014
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:56 pm

Re: Saving a Company

Post by shunter » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:46 am

muthafunky wrote:If you're arguing it's better to have lower prices at the expense of jobs you're exactly the reason Trump won.


Where does it all end, except with higher taxes to pay for more subsidies to distort the market
1988: "We have a climate in Britain in which business wants to succeed and can succeed." Margaret Thatcher, speech to launch the European Single Market

2018: "Fuck business." Boris Johnson

User avatar
muthafunky
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 22638
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:50 am

Re: Saving a Company

Post by muthafunky » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:53 am

Taxes have to pay for benefits for people who aren't working too. Anyway, I don't see how lower taxes "distort" the free market, surely it's high taxes that do that.

User avatar
shunter
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 17014
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:56 pm

Re: Saving a Company

Post by shunter » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:01 am

The distortion is from intervening selectively (daily?) in different companies. There's a moral hazard issue and it's discriminatory against companies that for whatever reason don't get the freebie.
1988: "We have a climate in Britain in which business wants to succeed and can succeed." Margaret Thatcher, speech to launch the European Single Market

2018: "Fuck business." Boris Johnson

User avatar
eric84
Moderator
Posts: 54550
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: Saving a Company

Post by eric84 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:21 am

So what is Mutha gonna say to all the companies who call him up wanting the same deal? You're just making your life very difficult for a fairly minor gain. It's one thing to bail out an entire industry in an extraordinary circumstance. It's another when 800 jobs in one company.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 62773
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Saving a Company

Post by VinnyD » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:32 pm

Mutha, to have the government pick winners and losers among companies is practically a definition of market distortion.

Maxwell
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 1268
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:46 am

Re: Saving a Company

Post by Maxwell » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:33 pm

eric84 wrote:So what is Mutha gonna say to all the companies who call him up wanting the same deal? You're just making your life very difficult for a fairly minor gain. It's one thing to bail out an entire industry in an extraordinary circumstance. It's another when 800 jobs in one company.


Why can't other companies be given the same deal?

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 62773
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Saving a Company

Post by VinnyD » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:45 pm

Whether they are contemplating going to Mexico or not?

Why should it only be companies? Why can't everyone's taxes be cut, spending kept at the same levels, and the budget balanced?

Maxwell
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 1268
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:46 am

Re: Saving a Company

Post by Maxwell » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:49 pm

VinnyD wrote:Whether they are contemplating going to Mexico or not?

Why should it only be companies? Why can't everyone's taxes be cut, spending kept at the same levels, and the budget balanced?


I agree, why not? Why can't working people keep more of the money they earn?

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 9274
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:26 pm

Re: Saving a Company

Post by coffeeguy » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:45 pm

Maxwell wrote:
VinnyD wrote:Whether they are contemplating going to Mexico or not?

Why should it only be companies? Why can't everyone's taxes be cut, spending kept at the same levels, and the budget balanced?


I agree, why not? Why can't working people keep more of the money they earn?


There is this little thing called a deficit. Righties used to care about it, but now that they are in charge of spending, don't. Educate yourself on what that is and then come back to talk to the grownups.

Maxwell
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 1268
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:46 am

Re: Saving a Company

Post by Maxwell » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:58 pm

coffeeguy wrote:
Maxwell wrote:
VinnyD wrote:Whether they are contemplating going to Mexico or not?

Why should it only be companies? Why can't everyone's taxes be cut, spending kept at the same levels, and the budget balanced?


I agree, why not? Why can't working people keep more of the money they earn?


There is this little thing called a deficit. Righties used to care about it, but now that they are in charge of spending, don't. Educate yourself on what that is and then come back to talk to the grownups.


Um, the grownips are in charge now. Poor baby. The deficit will reduce when more tax revenue is raised by more people working.

User avatar
5waldos
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15796
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:58 pm

Saving a Company

Post by 5waldos » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:07 pm

[quote="Maxwell]

Um, the grownips are in charge now. Poor baby. The deficit will reduce when more tax revenue is raised by more people working.[/quote]
Such a nice theory. But you do know it never works-right? And further realize that doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different outcome is by definition crazy.

Maxwell
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 1268
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:46 am

Re: Saving a Company

Post by Maxwell » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:15 pm

5waldos wrote:[quote="Maxwell]

Um, the grownips are in charge now. Poor baby. The deficit will reduce when more tax revenue is raised by more people working.[/quote]
Such a nice theory. But you do know it never works-right? And further realize that doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different outcome is by definition crazy.[/quote]


You say it never works. I say the more money people have to spend helps the economy. Common sense.

User avatar
northern_goddess
Queen Bee
Posts: 52448
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:48 am

Re: Saving a Company

Post by northern_goddess » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:33 pm

So what's your calculation on how much of the $7 million/year for 10 years will be paid back in taxes and in to the economy by those 800 jobs? What's the net loss/gain to the average citizen and taxpayer on that?
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

Maxwell
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 1268
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:46 am

Re: Saving a Company

Post by Maxwell » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:39 pm

northern_goddess wrote:So what's your calculation on how much of the $7 million/year for 10 years will be paid back in taxes and in to the economy by those 800 jobs? What's the net loss/gain to the average citizen and taxpayer on that?


According to my calculations, Obama is finished, Hillary is finished, Democrats are finished, and the American people are better off.

User avatar
eric84
Moderator
Posts: 54550
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: Saving a Company

Post by eric84 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:15 pm

Carrier is raising the prices of air conditioners by 5% on Jan 1 so the company bailout is already paying dividends!
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Maxwell
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 1268
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:46 am

Re: Saving a Company

Post by Maxwell » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:21 pm

eric84 wrote:Carrier is raising the prices of air conditioners by 5% on Jan 1 so the company bailout is already paying dividends!


There wasn't a bailout. No taxpayer dollars were spent. Try being honest.

User avatar
eric84
Moderator
Posts: 54550
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: Saving a Company

Post by eric84 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:30 pm

The net effect is government gets less money from this transaction with Carrier, right? You acknowledge that, right?
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Maxwell
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 1268
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:46 am

Re: Saving a Company

Post by Maxwell » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:32 pm

eric84 wrote:The net effect is government gets less money from this transaction with Carrier, right? You acknowledge that, right?


The government gets less money from the corporation, I acknowledge that, yes. Do you acknowledge that the decision to rsise the price was made before the Trump deal? Do you also acknowledge that the employees that kept their jobs will be paying federal income tax?
Last edited by Maxwell on Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
birdlite
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 10726
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:00 am

Re: Saving a Company

Post by birdlite » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:33 pm

Maxwell wrote:
coffeeguy wrote:There is this little thing called a deficit. Righties used to care about it, but now that they are in charge of spending, don't. Educate yourself on what that is and then come back to talk to the grownups.


Um, the grownips are in charge now. Poor baby. The deficit will reduce when more tax revenue is raised by more people working.


How is Trump going to pay for his glorious wall? His Tax plan already adds $5.3 Trillion to the deficit (down from the original $10 Trillion estimate ) over the next decade.

Maxwell
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 1268
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:46 am

Re: Saving a Company

Post by Maxwell » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:35 pm

birdlite wrote:
Maxwell wrote:
coffeeguy wrote:There is this little thing called a deficit. Righties used to care about it, but now that they are in charge of spending, don't. Educate yourself on what that is and then come back to talk to the grownups.


Um, the grownips are in charge now. Poor baby. The deficit will reduce when more tax revenue is raised by more people working.


How is Trump going to pay for his glorious wall? His Tax plan already adds $5.3 Trillion to the deficit (down from the original $10 Trillion estimate ) over the next decade.


Mexico is paying for the wall.

User avatar
eric84
Moderator
Posts: 54550
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: Saving a Company

Post by eric84 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:39 pm

Maxwell wrote:
eric84 wrote:The net effect is government gets less money from this transaction with Carrier, right? You acknowledge that, right?


The government gets less money from the corporation, I acknowledge that, yes. Do you acknowledge that the decision to rsise the price was made before the Trump deal? Do you also acknowledge that the employees that kept their jobs will be paying federal income tax?


How do you know the timing of the decision around that, alias?
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 62773
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Saving a Company

Post by VinnyD » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:48 pm

Maxwell wrote:
VinnyD wrote:Whether they are contemplating going to Mexico or not?

Why should it only be companies? Why can't everyone's taxes be cut, spending kept at the same levels, and the budget balanced?


I agree, why not?


Arithmetic is not your strong suit, is it?

What is your strong suit, would you say?

Maxwell
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 1268
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:46 am

Re: Saving a Company

Post by Maxwell » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:49 pm

eric84 wrote:
Maxwell wrote:
eric84 wrote:The net effect is government gets less money from this transaction with Carrier, right? You acknowledge that, right?


The government gets less money from the corporation, I acknowledge that, yes. Do you acknowledge that the decision to rsise the price was made before the Trump deal? Do you also acknowledge that the employees that kept their jobs will be paying federal income tax?


How do you know the timing of the decision around that, alias?


Maxwell, sonny boy. Check it out. The decision to raise the price was made before the Trump deal. You could always prove me wrong. Go ahead. Are you going to answer my questions or play games?

User avatar
eric84
Moderator
Posts: 54550
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: Saving a Company

Post by eric84 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:57 pm

I think it's incumbent on you to prove that, alias. You don't think it was dependent on these tax incentives?
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Maxwell
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 1268
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:46 am

Re: Saving a Company

Post by Maxwell » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:00 pm

eric84 wrote:I think it's incumbent on you to prove that, alias. You don't think it was dependent on these tax incentives?


Nope, you're done here and everyone can see it.

User avatar
eric84
Moderator
Posts: 54550
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: Saving a Company

Post by eric84 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:02 pm

You've made a claim that you have no particular insight about. C'mon, it shouldn't be hard to find, alias.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Maxwell
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 1268
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:46 am

Re: Saving a Company

Post by Maxwell » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:06 pm

eric84 wrote:You've made a claim that you have no particular insight about. C'mon, it shouldn't be hard to find, alias.


You're flailing now, sonny boy. Everyone here knows I'm right. You lose, sonny boy.

User avatar
eric84
Moderator
Posts: 54550
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: Saving a Company

Post by eric84 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:23 pm

Everyone knows something you can't seemingly verify? Uh, right, you guys are true post-truthers.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Maxwell
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 1268
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:46 am

Re: Saving a Company

Post by Maxwell » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:31 pm

eric84 wrote:Everyone knows something you can't seemingly verify? Uh, right, you guys are true post-truthers.


Poor little fellar is trying to communicate something. Cmon, little fella, I'm pullin' for ya.

User avatar
shunter
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 17014
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:56 pm

Re: Saving a Company

Post by shunter » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:52 pm

Christ, this guy's an imbecile.
1988: "We have a climate in Britain in which business wants to succeed and can succeed." Margaret Thatcher, speech to launch the European Single Market

2018: "Fuck business." Boris Johnson

User avatar
muthafunky
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 22638
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:50 am

Re: Saving a Company

Post by muthafunky » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:52 pm

eric84 wrote:So what is Mutha gonna say to all the companies who call him up wanting the same deal? You're just making your life very difficult for a fairly minor gain. It's one thing to bail out an entire industry in an extraordinary circumstance. It's another when 800 jobs in one company.


Depends on the deal, as you said. Just because one company or industry gets tax incentives doesn't mean they all do. It also doesn't mean other people will "call up" wanting the same thing.

User avatar
muthafunky
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 22638
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:50 am

Re: Saving a Company

Post by muthafunky » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:53 pm

northern_goddess wrote:So what's your calculation on how much of the $7 million/year for 10 years will be paid back in taxes and in to the economy by those 800 jobs? What's the net loss/gain to the average citizen and taxpayer on that?


What do you need the cost per job to be to feel that tax dollars for jobs is worth it?

User avatar
eric84
Moderator
Posts: 54550
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: Saving a Company

Post by eric84 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:05 pm

muthafunky wrote:
eric84 wrote:So what is Mutha gonna say to all the companies who call him up wanting the same deal? You're just making your life very difficult for a fairly minor gain. It's one thing to bail out an entire industry in an extraordinary circumstance. It's another when 800 jobs in one company.


Depends on the deal, as you said. Just because one company or industry gets tax incentives doesn't mean they all do. It also doesn't mean other people will "call up" wanting the same thing.


Why wouldn't they? Wouldn't it irresponsible of you as a CEO of a company not to try to improve your bottom line if you saw other companies getting it?
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

User avatar
shunter
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 17014
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:56 pm

Re: Saving a Company

Post by shunter » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:08 pm

Who gets to choose how this market distortion gets dished out? Is it Trump tossing these little favours as the mood takes him?
1988: "We have a climate in Britain in which business wants to succeed and can succeed." Margaret Thatcher, speech to launch the European Single Market

2018: "Fuck business." Boris Johnson

Maxwell
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 1268
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:46 am

Re: Saving a Company

Post by Maxwell » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:46 pm

shunter wrote:Who gets to choose how this market distortion gets dished out? Is it Trump tossing these little favours as the mood takes him?


Yes. Trump also has a pen and phone just like Obama had. Remember when Obama and democrats gave hundreds of millions to alternative energy companies that failed? Trump isn't using one dime of taxpayer's money. If Trump's name was Obama and he wasted hundreds of millions of taxpayer's money, the leftists around here would be nodding their empty little sheep heads and saying "good job", but because it's Trump and he's getting the job done without costing taxpayer's anything it's just terrible. Piss on you.

User avatar
muthafunky
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 22638
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:50 am

Re: Saving a Company

Post by muthafunky » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:01 pm

Why wouldn't they? Wouldn't it irresponsible of you as a CEO of a company not to try to improve your bottom line if you saw other companies getting it?


Well they don't currently. I guess there are a lot of irresponsible CEOs in Seattle!

User avatar
eric84
Moderator
Posts: 54550
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: Saving a Company

Post by eric84 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:04 pm

muthafunky wrote:
Why wouldn't they? Wouldn't it irresponsible of you as a CEO of a company not to try to improve your bottom line if you saw other companies getting it?


Well they don't currently. I guess there are a lot of irresponsible CEOs in Seattle!


I don't think they'd be letting you know if they were, mutha. You really don't think companies are now trying to find ways to approach the Trump administration to get favourable tax deals to stay in the US? Pretty naïve, dude.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Maxwell
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 1268
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:46 am

Re: Saving a Company

Post by Maxwell » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:05 pm

Over 400 million taxpayer's money spent on developing a website for obamacare that didn't work, so more millions spent to fix it, mow obamacare is imploding, and the left is wringing their hands because Trump gave a corporation a tax break to save jobs. You people are sick. Truly sick.

User avatar
muthafunky
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 22638
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:50 am

Re: Saving a Company

Post by muthafunky » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:18 pm

I don't think they'd be letting you know if they were, mutha. You really don't think companies are now trying to find ways to approach the Trump administration to get favourable tax deals to stay in the US? Pretty naïve, dude.


I was thinking more at the state government level, but no, there is certainly no evidence that companies like Microsoft or Amazon are threatening to leave the area if they don't receive tax breaks like other companies have received.

User avatar
birdlite
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 10726
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:00 am

Re: Saving a Company

Post by birdlite » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:36 pm

Maxwell wrote:
birdlite wrote:How is Trump going to pay for his glorious wall? His Tax plan already adds $5.3 Trillion to the deficit (down from the original $10 Trillion estimate ) over the next decade.


Mexico is paying for the wall.

Do you understand that Trump wants us to pay to build it and then try to get money back from Mexico. If you have had your ears open, you wuld know that Trump's suggestions have been met with:
1) No
2) No
3) Probably not constitutional

What makes you think Mexico will pay for the wall?

Maxwell
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 1268
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:46 am

Re: Saving a Company

Post by Maxwell » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:38 pm

birdlite wrote:
Maxwell wrote:
birdlite wrote:How is Trump going to pay for his glorious wall? His Tax plan already adds $5.3 Trillion to the deficit (down from the original $10 Trillion estimate ) over the next decade.


Mexico is paying for the wall.

Do you understand that Trump wants us to pay to build it and then try to get money back from Mexico. If you have had your ears open, you wuld know that Trump's suggestions have been met with:
1) No
2) No
3) Probably not constitutional

What makes you think Mexico will pay for the wall?


Trade.

User avatar
eric84
Moderator
Posts: 54550
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: Saving a Company

Post by eric84 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:23 pm

Trump can't cut off trade to Mexico because he feels like it. Doesn't work that way.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Post Reply