Top ten popular vote winners in US presidential history

Berning Trumpeters vs The Establishment

Moderator: Moderator

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Re: Top ten popular vote winners in US presidential history

Post by DCComic » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:55 pm

Thanks.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

http://www.officialmikepence.com

shunter
Stew Ingredient

Post by shunter » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:47 pm

Over 2 million votes! That is a lot. Crazy system, crazy president.
1988: "We have a climate in Britain in which business wants to succeed and can succeed." Margaret Thatcher, speech to launch the European Single Market

2018: "Fuck business." Boris Johnson

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:18 pm

Update.

1. 2008- Barack Obama- 69,499
2. 2012- Barack Obama- 65,916
3. 2016- Hillary Clinton- 64,227
4. 2016- Donald Trump- 62, 213
5. 2004- George W. Bush- 62,041
6. 2012- Mitt Romney- 60,934
7. 2008- John McCain- 59,948
8. 2004- John Kerry- 59,028
9. 1984- Ronald Reagan- 54,455
10. 2000- Al Gore- 51,000
11. 2000- George W. Bush- 50,456

eric84

Post by eric84 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:20 pm

shunter wrote:Over 2 million votes! That is a lot. Crazy system, crazy president.

There's been a few elections in Britain where the party with the most votes did not form government.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

shunter
Stew Ingredient

Post by shunter » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:24 pm

I know
1988: "We have a climate in Britain in which business wants to succeed and can succeed." Margaret Thatcher, speech to launch the European Single Market

2018: "Fuck business." Boris Johnson

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:53 am

Vinny, what source are you using? so i can source it directly when posting on another forum
"Iranians apparently disagree with korgy"

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:00 am

Cook Political Report.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:34 am

thanks

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:28 am

Gorky, make sure that all fraudulent Dumbocratic votes count.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:00 am

There were 5 million fraudulent Republican votes from what I read.
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:10 am

Godjira wrote:There were 5 million fraudulent Republican votes from what I read.

Do you have a Pube bragging about getting fraudulent votes on YouTube like you crooked Dumbocrats do?

I think not.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:30 am

Someone Tweeted it out and some jackass repeated it, so I assumed it was a fact, just like you!

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:41 pm

California still isn't finished.

Update.

3. 2016- Hillary Clinton- 65,152
4. 2016- Donald Trump- 62,626

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:59 am

Holy cow. That's unreal. I bet it'll be more than 3 million votes in the end.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:50 am

I'm not sure how many more votes are yet to be counted. Not enough for her to catch Obama 2012.

Logg
Stew Ingredient

Post by Logg » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:13 am

"As Clinton’s popular lead surpasses 2.5 million votes, it grows larger than the lead with which 10 presidents have won the general election."

That quote caught my eye, from a Time article
http://time.com/4587158/clinton-leads-t ... ion-votes/

I can't find any links to back up that quote, but if I'm inferring the context correctly, then Hillary's popular margin over Trump surpasses 10/43 (not counting Ford) of the previous presidents' margins over their opponent.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:26 am

I think they are going by percentages. Her 1.9% margin over Trump is greater than the margin by which nine presidents won the popular vote, including the four who lost it. Wiki list.. Nixon 1968, Kennedy, Cleveland 1884, Garfield, and Polk won by narrower (but positive) margins.

But I make it ten counting Clinton, not ten others.

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:31 am

I definitely think we'll see a backlash against the GOP. It didn't happen in congress because no one expected Trump to win.

Logg
Stew Ingredient

Post by Logg » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:38 am

VinnyD wrote:I think they are going by percentages. Her 1.9% margin over Trump is greater than the margin by which nine presidents won the popular vote, including the four who lost it. Wiki list.. Nixon 1968, Kennedy, Cleveland 1884, Garfield, and Polk won by narrower (but positive) margins.

But I make it ten counting Clinton, not ten others.

Thanks vinny. That's a helpful chart.

If we leave out the election of 1824, since it was brokered between four candidates in the House, then the widest positive poular vote margin for someone who ended up losing the election is the election of Hayes in 1876 at 3%, followed by Trump 2016 at 1.8%.

It's interesting that the election of 2016 is right next to the election of 1876, because that election is remembered as being the textbook example of an election being decided in a backroom deal that contradicted the actual vote. There were three disputed states, and had the Democrats had followed through with their challenge on those three disputed states, they would have won and Samuel Tilden would have been the president. But instead they agreed to ignore those three states, thus giving the election to Hayes, in return for ending Reconstruction in the South.

For his part, Hayes pledged not to run for a second term, and kept his word.

It certainly places the 2016 election in interesting company.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:20 am

Godjira: I don't think anyone votes like that.

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:26 pm

Like what?

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:39 pm

I get what you mean. What I should say is that if Trump continues to embarrass the American people over the next 2 years as he has for the past 1, there will be an enormous backlash. Of course, we already know he will, so my original comment needs no clarification.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:48 pm

Yeah, that could be.

On the other hand, the Democrats are defending many more Senate seats than the Republicans in 2018. Gains there are unlikely, as is a takeover of the House. A little marginal progress is possible.

Jim-2012
Stew Ingredient

Post by Jim-2012 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:36 am

Citizens Could Sue States to Purge Voter Rolls
Eligible voters could bring legal action on the basis illegal votes subvert their rights
by Robert Romano | Updated 24 Oct 2016 at 2:55 PM

Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump has complained about a potentially rigged electoral process in the U.S. — for good reason.
“Of course I would accept a clear election result, but I would also reserve my right to contest or file a legal challenge in the case of a questionable result,” Trump said at a Delaware, Ohio, rally on Oct. 20.
By allowing ineligible persons to register to vote and to vote in elections, the Federal Election Commission and states are allowing qualified voters’ voices to be fractionalized in the elections.
As well he should.

Trump noted a recent estimate by Pew Charitable Trust that found 1.8 million dead voters still on state voter registration systems, and 2.75 million voters registered in more than one state. A 2002 law by Congress already requires states to keep digital voter lists and to remove ineligible names from their systems, including the dead and those now out of state. But obviously it’s not getting done.

Trump also pointed to a 2014 estimate by Jesse Richman and David Earnest published in The Washington Post that found as many as 14 percent of non-citizens in the U.S. say they are registered to vote.

If true, that would mean of the 20.3 million non-citizens 18 years or older according to the U.S. Census Bureau, some 2.8 million could be registered to vote nationwide.

A survey is not necessarily evidence — but state records sure are. The Public Interest Legal Foundation has discovered  more than 1,000 ineligible non-citizens on voter rolls in just eight Virginia counties. And the only reason they found out about them was because those non-citizens requested removal. There were no records of the state proactively removing non-citizens, meaning the number of non-citizens on the rolls in Virginia could be much higher.
But the truth is, nobody really knows how many non-citizens are on the voter rolls. The Federal Election Commission and states are not required by law to verify citizenship, even though it is illegal for non-citizens to vote or register to vote.
Making matters worse, in the aforementioned 2002 law, non-citizens are not mentioned as one of the classes of people that should be removed from voter rolls by states — even though they absolutely should be. The dead, felons, and out-of-state persons are mentioned, but not non-citizens.
So what can be done?
For starters, Donald Trump could sue to have them removed. Or the Republican National Committee. Or state Republican committees.
Although the RNC apparently entered into a consent decree in 1981 not to pursue efforts to purge voter rolls of ineligible voters, the decree appears limited to targeting specific districts. Nothing from the decree would bar the GOP from targeting all 50 states' voter rolls.
That said, Republican leaders may still be reluctant to take up such a case. In that instance, aggrieved registered voters themselves might wish to take up the case, if they were so inclined.

“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.”
“Always drink upstream from the herd.”

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:00 am

Jim-2012 wrote:Citizens Could Sue States to Purge Voter Rolls
Eligible voters could bring legal action on the basis illegal votes subvert their rights
by Robert Romano | Updated 24 Oct 2016 at 2:55 PM

Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump has complained about a potentially rigged electoral process in the U.S. — for good reason.
“Of course I would accept a clear election result, but I would also reserve my right to contest or file a legal challenge in the case of a questionable result,” Trump said at a Delaware, Ohio, rally on Oct. 20.
By allowing ineligible persons to register to vote and to vote in elections, the Federal Election Commission and states are allowing qualified voters’ voices to be fractionalized in the elections.
As well he should.

Trump noted a recent estimate by Pew Charitable Trust that found 1.8 million dead voters still on state voter registration systems, and 2.75 million voters registered in more than one state. A 2002 law by Congress already requires states to keep digital voter lists and to remove ineligible names from their systems, including the dead and those now out of state. But obviously it’s not getting done.

Trump also pointed to a 2014 estimate by Jesse Richman and David Earnest published in The Washington Post that found as many as 14 percent of non-citizens in the U.S. say they are registered to vote.

If true, that would mean of the 20.3 million non-citizens 18 years or older according to the U.S. Census Bureau, some 2.8 million could be registered to vote nationwide.

A survey is not necessarily evidence — but state records sure are. The Public Interest Legal Foundation has discovered  more than 1,000 ineligible non-citizens on voter rolls in just eight Virginia counties. And the only reason they found out about them was because those non-citizens requested removal. There were no records of the state proactively removing non-citizens, meaning the number of non-citizens on the rolls in Virginia could be much higher.
But the truth is, nobody really knows how many non-citizens are on the voter rolls. The Federal Election Commission and states are not required by law to verify citizenship, even though it is illegal for non-citizens to vote or register to vote.
Making matters worse, in the aforementioned 2002 law, non-citizens are not mentioned as one of the classes of people that should be removed from voter rolls by states — even though they absolutely should be. The dead, felons, and out-of-state persons are mentioned, but not non-citizens.
So what can be done?
For starters, Donald Trump could sue to have them removed. Or the Republican National Committee. Or state Republican committees.
Although the RNC apparently entered into a consent decree in 1981 not to pursue efforts to purge voter rolls of ineligible voters, the decree appears limited to targeting specific districts. Nothing from the decree would bar the GOP from targeting all 50 states' voter rolls.
That said, Republican leaders may still be reluctant to take up such a case. In that instance, aggrieved registered voters themselves might wish to take up the case, if they were so inclined.

These mentally challenged individuals should be listened to. Let's throw out the election results.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:38 am

Godjira wrote: Let's throw out the election results.

Yes.

At least in every crooked, Dumbocratic (redundant), big city, every four years.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:57 am

Rather than a property requirement, how about an IQ test?

Maxwell
Stew Ingredient

Post by Maxwell » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:52 pm

Godjira wrote:Rather than a property requirement, how about an IQ test?

I think a basic civics class on how government works and the responsibility of government would be a good idea. In my opinion there are too many citizens that don't understand the difference where government responsibility ends and theirs begins and visa versa.

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:40 pm

Examples?

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:16 am

I like democracy.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:38 am

Maxwell wrote:In my opinion there are too many citizens that don't understand the difference where government responsibility ends and theirs begins and visa versa.
good luck defining this typical right-wing talking point. the notion that there is a clearly defined line separating government responsibility from personal repsonsibility, a line whose placement has not been debated since the inception of our Constitution, is silly.

Maxwell
Stew Ingredient

Post by Maxwell » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:43 am

korgy wrote:
Maxwell wrote:In my opinion there are too many citizens that don't understand the difference where government responsibility ends and theirs begins and visa versa.
good luck defining this typical right-wing talking point. the notion that there is a clearly defined line separating government responsibility from personal repsonsibility, a line whose placement has not been debated since the inception of our Constitution, is silly.

It's debated often. The claim that it isn't is what's "silly".

Maxwell
Stew Ingredient

Post by Maxwell » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:49 am

VinnyD wrote:I like democracy.

Move to India. The United States is a constitutional republic, not a democracy.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:06 am

Maxwell wrote:
korgy wrote:
It's debated often. The claim that it isn't is what's "silly".
well, if you're going to teach all those "citizens that don't understand the difference where government responsibility ends and theirs begins", it might good to agree on where government responsibility ends and citizens' begins.

naturally, i would assume you think there is no debate about that, since you want to teach it.

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:18 am

Maxwell wrote:The United States is a constitutional republic, not a democracy.

The two terms are not mutually exclusive.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:14 pm

Maxwell, a vocabulary lesson:

Republic: Head of state is not a monarch.

Constitutional: With a constitution.

Democrac: Rule by the people.

Godjira is right. The USSR was a constitutional republic that was not a democracy. Denmark is a democracy that is not a constitutional republic.

Maxwell
Stew Ingredient

Post by Maxwell » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:36 pm

VinnyD wrote:Maxwell, a vocabulary lesson:

Republic: Head of state is not a monarch.

Constitutional: With a constitution.

Democrac: Rule by the people.

Godjira is right. The USSR was a constitutional republic that was not a democracy. Denmark is a democracy that is not a constitutional republic.

A Constitutional Republic is a state where the officials are elected as representatives of the people, and must govern according to existing constitutional law that limits the government's power over citizens. A Constitutional Republic is the current form of government in the United States.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:54 pm

republic, n. (1) : a government having a chief of state who is not a monarch and who in modern times is usually a president (2) : a political unit (as a nation) having such a form of government

Australia is not a republic; neither is Denmark. In both, the officials are elected as representatives of the people, and must govern according to existing constitutional law that limits the government's power over citizens.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:05 pm

Update.

3. 2016- Hillary Clinton- 65,317
4. 2016- Donald Trump- 62,720

Still not final.

Maxwell
Stew Ingredient

Post by Maxwell » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:15 pm

VinnyD wrote:republic, n. (1) : a government having a chief of state who is not a monarch and who in modern times is usually a president (2) : a political unit (as a nation) having such a form of government

Australia is not a republic; neither is Denmark. In both, the officials are elected as representatives of the people, and must govern according to existing constitutional law that limits the government's power over citizens.

We're in agreement.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:36 pm

Update.

3. 2016- Hillary Clinton- 65,519
4. 2016- Donald Trump- 62,847

Clinton's lead over Trump is up to 2%: 48.2% of votes cast to 46.2%.

ASQ
Stew Ingredient

Post by ASQ » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:51 pm

If you take California out of those numbers, what would her lead be?

sodelicious
Stew Ingredient

Post by sodelicious » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:12 pm

ASQ wrote:If you take California out of those numbers, what would her lead be?

Probably not by much, or even behind Donald Trump. Just like if you take Florida and Pennsylvania and switch the results, Hillary wins the EC.
Everyone is a victim to a social worker.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:20 pm

ASQ wrote:If you take California out of those numbers, what would her lead be?

I don't know. It wuold be smaller.

If you Texas out it would be bigger.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:49 pm

Hillary would be losing by about a million votes without California. With it, she has a 2.7 million vote lead.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:18 pm

Without Texas, she would lead by about 3.3 million votes. Trump's lead was about 9%, down from Romney's 16% lead in 2012.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:23 pm

No, more like 3.5 million. Trump's lead is about 800k in Texas.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:48 pm

Quite right.

ACommonLoon
Stew Ingredient

Post by ACommonLoon » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:25 pm

wouldn't a graph of US population growth basically say the same thing?

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:24 pm

No. The population has grown in the last eight years, and it was bigger in 2000 than in 1984.

Also, it wouldn't show who had got more popular votes in any gven election.