Is Trump toast?

Berning Trumpeters vs The Establishment
Logg
Stew Ingredient

Is Trump toast?

Post by Logg » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:15 pm

He is, isn't he?

There's nowhere for him to go but down, and then out.

In "polls of likely voters" and whatnot, he does well. But once actual elections start, those pseudo-votes lose significance quick.

Trump's strategy was to use debates as insult comic venues. And in that nebulous pre-election world of cable news cycles, when politics and entertainment mix, Trump's entertainment got results. But, even if the lines get increasingly blurred, there is still a difference between mass entertainment and legitimate political campaigning.

Trump knows how to push audience's buttons, audiences respond to polls, cable news takes it from there. But it's largely a closed loop.

Trump was smart to skip the last debate. He has used debates primarily to ridicule his opponents and secondarily to mouth platitudes. He can't speak to any actual policies, platforms, or political track record because he has none. He knew that Megyn Kelly would have called him out on his recent inconsistencies and made him look bad, so he opted to skip the debate altogether.

When you have to use smoke and mirrors to cover up the fact that you have no platform, you're doomed. With all the media coverage Trump got, his biggest contribution to the campaign was sticking Jeb with the low-energy label and casting the non-natural born citizen label on Ted Cruz. He's good at belittling the other people in the room to make himself look bigger, but beyond that he's got nothing.

I don't follow this stuff on a state by state level, but I don't see how Trump can climb his way back up among the evangelical base by skipping debates and saying controversial things about other Republican figures to keep his name in the news.

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Re: Is Trump toast?

Post by 5waldos » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:58 pm

Given the original expectations for the Trump I think he actually did awfully well. I had hoped for a serious fail once people actually began voting but, especially with the possibility that Cruz et al played some really dirty tricks I fear the we cannot count out Trump and his true believers yet.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:16 pm

I wouldn't count him out but finishing second after leading in the polls for so long is not doing "awfully well".

If he doesn't win New Hampshire I think you can start talking about counting hm out.

shunter
Stew Ingredient

Post by shunter » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:20 pm

If he drops out is he net up or down given the expense of all that bullshit versus the benefit (if any) on his brand?

I mean this isn't all for vanity, or is it?
We’re fucked.

sodelicious
Stew Ingredient

Post by sodelicious » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:28 pm

muthafunky wrote:I wouldn't count him out but finishing second after leading in the polls for so long is not doing "awfully well".

If he doesn't win New Hampshire I think you can start talking about counting him out.

That. Especially the bold part.
Everyone is a victim to a social worker.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:39 pm

If he does bow out early, to whom will his supporters turn? Niner, ho's your #2?

Can anyone really see Trump going about the day-to-day business of being the POTUS?

Imagine the first mass shooting or other tragedy and seeing his tomato head pop up on TV screens.

Lavite
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lavite » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:06 pm

Trump won't drop out. He loves the massive public attention far too much, it feeds his super ego. At worst he will simply start saying more outrageous things. He is like the monkeys in The Jungle Book, he wants everyone to notice him and pay attention to his antics.
Democrats are no longer political adversaries. They are domestic enemies.

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:35 pm

Hi super ego? It makes him more moral?

I knew once the votes started coming in, Trump wouldn't do as well as polling.
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!

Ignominy
Stew Ingredient

Post by Ignominy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:26 pm

Chip_Oatley wrote:Can anyone really see Trump going about the day-to-day business of being the POTUS?

I think it'd be hilarious.
Je suis le champignon vénéneux qui fait vomir l'intrépide.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:27 pm

Lavite wrote:Trump won't drop out. He loves the massive public attention far too much, it feeds his super ego.
hard to say. he also cant stand losing.
'The past isn't dead. It isn't even past."(Barack Obama, after William Faulkner)

FUUZ
Stew Ingredient

Post by FUUZ » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:59 pm

Remember all those horror movies in which the evil bad guy-monster is killed, and then you find out he-it is still alive and dangerous? That might be the case with T***p. Don't be sure the monster is dead until you see its head cut off and a stake put thru its heart.
As I wander and chunder, I ponder and wonder.
I'm Slumming in Bedlam. Amuse me.

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:18 am

I think if he starts to lose and fall behind he has a meltdown and pulls out of the primary. Perhaps runs as an independent

Flobster!
Stew Ingredient

Post by Flobster! » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:57 pm

Trump is tweeting (after a long silence) that he didn't lose, Cruz stole it.

Jim-2012
Stew Ingredient

Post by Jim-2012 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:30 pm

Trump may not be toast, but Rand Paul just announced that he is suspending his campaign [getting out].
“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.”
“When you are taking FLAK, you know you are over the target”
The men Americans detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth." - H.L. Mencken

Jelly_Belly
Stew Ingredient

Post by Jelly_Belly » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:32 pm

korgy wrote:
Lavite wrote:Trump won't drop out. He loves the massive public attention far too much, it feeds his super ego.
hard to say. he also cant stand losing.

Really? How do you know this? Has he had a near perfect life of all wins except for one, after which he did what? Please do tell.
One famous poster once said...." I look around the house to see what she doesn't have and then I get her it."

Another famous poster uttered: "I have known non-whites who thought of themselves as expats."

Flobster!
Stew Ingredient

Post by Flobster! » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:52 pm

Bulshit, Jelly, he has filed bankrupt 4 times.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:29 am

mumps
Kim Gordon is my girlfriend.

andybox
Stew Ingredient

Post by andybox » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:14 am

Lavite wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:06 pm
Trump won't drop out. He loves the massive public attention far too much, it feeds his super ego. At worst he will simply start saying more outrageous things. He is like the monkeys in The Jungle Book, he wants everyone to notice him and pay attention to his antics.
Well he’s certainly had that affect on you.