Penalty kick shootouts

Racist Fans and Falling "Stars"
kotagiri_tea_planter
Stew Ingredient

Penalty kick shootouts

Post by kotagiri_tea_planter » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:01 pm

Anyone see the video of the Argie keeper stopping the Dutch penalty and celebrating as the ball almost rolls in? Would've been great if it did.

But it got me thinking about penalty kick shootouts to decide knockout matches and how almost everyone hates them. What if they made them like in game penalty kicks where the ball is live if it's stopped. So instead of having one player against the goalkeeper, you'd have that plus the other 19 outfield players at the edge of the box. The team taking the kick could still score and the defenders would have to kick the ball out if their half. Then play is dead.

Possible criticism could be fatigue after 120 minutes but it wouldn't happen that often since most kicks are scored. And it would involve some team footballing in the actual result. Who knows, maybe it would allow more kicks to score as keepers worry more about rebounds.

Thoughts?

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Re: Penalty kick shootouts

Post by Lost Soul » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:38 am

My thoughts are, after 120 minutes of a tie game, to play until a score is made.

And no substitutions shall be allowed.

The PK ending is horseshit.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:27 am

I read on this forum that they're not a big deal and nothing should be done to try to avoid them.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:44 am

muthafunky wrote:I read on this forum that they're not a big deal and nothing should be done to try to avoid them.

That's proof that my way should be enacted, post haste.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

eric84

Post by eric84 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:28 pm

Take a man off every 10 minutes in extra time if need be. We came this close to having the WC decided on penalty kicks
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:43 am

The tie-breaker should be something that involves a TEAM effort -- not one offensive player against a goalkeeper.
Possibilities:
Corner kicks, instead of penalty kicks -- the first team to score wins the match;
or
Five (5) half field offensive possessions for each side (but starting at mid-field), instead of making the players run the entire field;
or
Something else that involves a TEAM effort.
Steveo is my name, and golf is my game.

grecian
Stew Ingredient

Post by grecian » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:38 pm

Typical OP from a Laydee who knows Feck All about Football...