Germany v Argentina

Racist Fans and Falling "Stars"
sodelicious
Stew Ingredient

Germany v Argentina

Post by sodelicious » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:14 pm

I put 50 bucks on Germany at 6 - 1 at the start of the tournament, should I put money on Argentina to spread the bet, thus ensuring that I win some money or should I just stick with Germany?
Everyone is a victim to a social worker.

Iolar
Stew Ingredient

Re: Germany v Argentina

Post by Iolar » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:57 pm

I'm no longer betting on this tournament. The Dutch broke my heart. However, I'd stick with Germany. I wouldn't hedge.
I like big quotes and I cannot lie

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:58 pm

sodelicious wrote:I put 50 bucks on Germany at 6 - 1 at the start of the tournament, should I put money on Argentina to spread the bet, thus ensuring that I win some money or should I just stick with Germany?

I hate that way of thinking. I'd stick with what you bet initially, personally. I hope Germany gets stomped though.
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.

Meatfree
Stew Ingredient

Post by Meatfree » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:10 pm

Ioaler, the Dutch broke a lot of hearts after the first have by being cynical cheating boring dirty Bastards.

Tortilla Slim
Stew Ingredient

Post by Tortilla Slim » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:31 pm

I'm cheering for Argentina because they're my team, but I think Germany is a pretty smart bet.

I'm hoping Argentina stomp them though.
"I want you to slap me in the face with your big bean burrito, Taco" - Saheli (Read more here (NSFW) http://tinyurl.com/http-politicalstew-com)

invertebrate
Stew Ingredient

Post by invertebrate » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:44 pm

Moethebartender wrote: I hope Germany gets stomped though.

I have never seen anybody "stomp" the German team. Contrary to the US of fucking A we have a team and not just 9 defenders who try to park the bus so they don't get their asses kicked because their offense is non existent
"We have been saying for a long time that Israel is a pedophiles paradise and everyone said we were exaggerating," council head Yitzhak Kadman said.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:46 pm

Well, England did when we beat you 5-1 in Munich, but that was a friendly and meant fuck all...heh

Germany are the only football team playing in the final.

If Argentina win 1-0, then it will suck.

invertebrate
Stew Ingredient

Post by invertebrate » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:49 pm

Tortilla Slim wrote:I'm cheering for Argentina because they're my team, but I think Germany is a pretty smart bet.

Argentina is not stomping anybody! They had a though time scoring against the powerhouses of soccer like Bosnia and Iran! And can I remind you what happened 4 years ago..... wasn't it 4:0.... they'll crumble under pressure
"We have been saying for a long time that Israel is a pedophiles paradise and everyone said we were exaggerating," council head Yitzhak Kadman said.

invertebrate
Stew Ingredient

Post by invertebrate » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:57 pm

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:Well, England did when we beat you 5-1 in Munich, but that was a friendly and meant fuck all...heh

Germany are the only football team playing in the final.

If Argentina win 1-0, then it will suck.

It was the world cup qualifier and not a friendly. But you seem to have selective memory because Engerland with the exception of that match and the 2000 Euro match had not beaten Germany in competitive football since the 1966 WC. Don't live in the past, I know it sucks, specially if it is all you guys have. When was the last time England beat anybody in a WC? 2010 or was it 2006?

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:59 pm

I made 3 points, one was a joke, and two were positive about my wanting Germany to win. Yet, that's what you picked up on.

Typical 'humourless' Kraut.

I actually don't give a shite who wins.

Out of the 32 teams, this was the only pairing between two teams that I don't really give a shit about.

Tortilla Slim
Stew Ingredient

Post by Tortilla Slim » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:05 pm

invertebrate wrote:
Tortilla Slim wrote:I'm cheering for Argentina because they're my team, but I think Germany is a pretty smart bet.

Argentina is not stomping anybody! They had a though time scoring against the powerhouses of soccer like Bosnia and Iran!

And Germany tied with Ghana and barely squeaked by the US and Algeria.

By stomp I mean dominate the game. That could be a 1-0 result. I don't expect a blow out, though I would love to see one.
"I want you to slap me in the face with your big bean burrito, Taco" - Saheli (Read more here (NSFW) http://tinyurl.com/http-politicalstew-com)

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:06 pm

Actually, let's weigh it up

ARGENTINA
Luzbelito (seems pretty sound)
Scuba (seems pretty sound)
One Ball (complete cretin and cunt)

GERMANY
Kilombo (a bit of a div)
Invertebrate (humourless)

The OneBall effect hangs heavy....but...

Vamos Argentina!

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:06 pm

Germany to win the World Cup 2014 -- If so, Steve-O will be a Perfect 15-0 in selecting ALL 15 of the winners from the Round of 16, Quarter-Finals, Semi-Finals, and Final !
Steveo is my name, and golf is my game.

Kilombo
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kilombo » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:30 pm

Vamos Argentina. I want Argentina to win but of course I won't feel bad if Germany wins the WC.
BTW I hope very much for Brazil to win the 3rd place. They deserve it and the dutch team are all kunts and bad lousers
Prost!

grecian
Stew Ingredient

Post by grecian » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:33 pm

You only got 6/1 for Germany before it started??

Your Bookie is Fleecing you!

sodelicious
Stew Ingredient

Post by sodelicious » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:12 pm

Those were the odds on both sportsinteraction.com, bet365.com, and playnow.com, give or take a decimal point.

What were the odds at Ladbrokes, or Paddy Power?

jedgarandclyde
Stew Ingredient

Post by jedgarandclyde » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:24 pm

I do think i will be a tighter match than the scores indicate it will be, despite having the attacking Messi on the park, the most impressive thing about the Argentine team all this WC has been their defense.

I do not see it as being so downright lousy as Brazil's, and to give the Germans a much harder game with a defensive plan and hit them on the break, and i do know this is not a great Argentine side but IMO they will give the Germans a far tougher game than Brazil did.

But i agree the Germans do appear to be the form team, and perhaps they can sneak it 1-0 or 2-1.
'There are plenty of people out there'..................Donald Trump

Free American Joe!!!

jedgarandclyde
Stew Ingredient

Post by jedgarandclyde » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:29 pm

And Steve so have i, and also am going for Germany to win the final.

I suppose my finest hour came in the Argentina/Holland game at half time, saying the way it was going it looked like it would be settled by spot kicks at the end of the game.

Free American Joe!!!

invertebrate
Stew Ingredient

Post by invertebrate » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:25 pm

Tortilla Slim wrote: And Germany squeaked by the US

Did you watch a different game than anybody else? The US played with 6 defenders and 3 defensive midfielders while one dude was lurking around midfield waiting for a brake that didn't happen. That is called parking the bus and teams that do not have any offensive pwoer tend to do that so they do not get humuiliated to much. The only good player on the US team is the Goalie, the rest is mediocre at best. Germany as well as Belgium could have won by a margine of at least 5 or more goals with a litte more luck.... that's how bad US soccer realy is

P.S. winning one game out of four is not that successful and called squeaking by in to the round of 16 before getting the well deserved elimination

invertebrate
Stew Ingredient

Post by invertebrate » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:29 pm

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:I made 3 points, one was a joke, and two were positive about my wanting Germany to win. Yet, that's what you picked up on.

Typical 'humourless' Kraut.

I actually don't give a shite who wins.

Out of the 32 teams, this was the only pairing between two teams that I don't really give a shit about.

yepp humourless Kraut it is if it comes to that

Tortilla Slim
Stew Ingredient

Post by Tortilla Slim » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:45 pm

invertebrate wrote:
Tortilla Slim wrote: And Germany squeaked by the US

Did you watch a different game than anybody else? The US played with 6 defenders and 3 defensive midfielders while one dude was lurking around midfield waiting for a brake that didn't happen. That is called parking the bus and teams that do not have any offensive pwoer tend to do that so they do not get humuiliated to much.

Germany tied with Ghana, struggled with Algeria, and had something like 30 shots on the US goal that didn't hit the net.

They're a good team, sure, but it's not a sure thing by a long shot vs. Argentina.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:57 pm

Very far from a sure thing.
No European team has won a WC in the Americas.
Both Germans and Dutch had stomach problems, flu.
Like my pre tournament guess,Argentina to get a goal
and park the bus.
Mascherano is the key man.
But, stats are there to be changed, and ze Germans are
the most complete team in Brazil.

The platform is there for Messi to be great, we will see.

OnTheBall
Stew Ingredient

Post by OnTheBall » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:20 am

The best defense vs the best attack.

However, I do not think many would have predicted that it would be Argentina as the team with the best defense and Germany, with one recognised striker, as the best attack.

Argentina's defense was criticised by some on here because it lacked the big names that other teams had, but I knew the defense wasn't bad at all (and posted it previously on the Sports Branch). This is a team that leaked the least amount of goals during the WC qualifiers and has let in 3 goals in 6 games during this WC, without ever having to "park the bus."

However, I do not believe that Argentina's attack is struggling as some are claiming. Every team, E-V-E-R-Y team that Argentina has played against has played very defensively, including The Netherlands - and that is saying something. I do not buy the opinion that Argentina was also defensively during the game against the Dutch. Just because a team is organised and tactically disciplined does not mean they are being defensive. Middle of the road teams at WCs tend to be either well drilled, organised teams (Algeria, Costa Rica, USA, etc) or a rabble (England). While the organised teams do not tend to have big stars they are always hard to break down. This is what happened in Argentina's games. They played well organised teams who set out to defend (Iran, Bosnia, Switzerland, and yes even the Belgians and the Dutch). It is always difficult to score 2-3-4 etc goals against these teams.

Also, there is this misconception that Argentina, being a team of real pedigree from South America with some big names, should also play the "jogo bonito." Argentina has rarely been about pumping teams with a huge amount of goals, nor about playing aesthetically. Argentina has usually been about rugged defense, a spoiling game, a good passing game, and an "enganche" (no.10) to make things happen.

Germany, on the other hand, have done very well against disorganised teams in this tournament (Portugal and Brazil, which were a rabble and lost their heads against them), but found themselves in real games against well drilled teams (USA, Algeria, etc). Obviously, the key for Germany will be their midfield. Schweinalphabet will try to stifle Messi and Mascherano will try to stifle Kroos. Argentina will also need to contain Muller and his runs.

Germany shouldn't, and I am hoping they won't, play as defensively as the other teams that played Argentina which will allow the Argies to fully showcase the attacking talent that they have, which is why I am hoping that Aguero and Di Maria play.

I think, however, that this will be a bit of a dour affair (for the neutral). The Argies will try to break any fast attacking play from the Germans by any means necessary. Germany, I think, will try to crowd and press in the midfield to try to choke Argentina out of the game.

If it comes down to it being 0-0 towards the end of the game, expect Klose to come on and pose a threat in the air with his heading.

Argentina 2-0, or 2-1

COME ON ARGIES~!

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:26 am

I'm astounded.

Kilombo
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kilombo » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:37 am

Good analisis by On the ball. There are several statistic reasons why Argentina should be the champion.
1) all world cups hold in Southamerica were won by a southamerican team
2) Germany lost 2 finals in the WC where they kicked out the land where the WC was hold, Mexico and Southkorea, as well as Austria in the european cup in 2008
3) Argentina won the final against Germany in 1986 and lost in 1990. Its their turn now.

there are several other reasons as well
1) motivation of revenge. Argentina lost with Germany in the quarters of the last 2 WCs. In Germany where Argentina played better than Germany but lost the penalty shootout and in Southafrica 4 - 0 with Maradona as the coach.
2) Messi. You can put 2 or 3 on him but he can decide any game at any moment.
3) Javier Mascherano, incredible the level he is playing

Germany has a better team but Argentina is more balanced. It will be a cracking final with lots of tactics probably. Nobody want to loose.
Prost!

LuZbelito
Stew Ingredient

Post by LuZbelito » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:13 am

On paper germans to win, but for some reason i am feeling very lucky.

And, although we have struggled scoring goals, most of the teams we've faced parked the bus. When was the last time you've seen the NL defend like this?

dragon
Stew Ingredient

Post by dragon » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:31 am

there were two kids from argentina in my son's kindergarten class this year, so that clinches it....
She is a great-kneed person.

egjeg
Stew Ingredient

Post by egjeg » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:13 am

What odds can you get on Argentina?
Last edited by egjeg on Sat Jun 04, 2031 4:13 am, edited 5,730,142 time in total.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:45 pm

I think your money is safe, sodes.
Our problem is civil obedience. -Howard Zinn

Agent009
Stew Ingredient

Post by Agent009 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:46 pm

The booookies are wrong, they kant seeeem to add in the most important factor........
Euro teams dont win the WC in SA.

Argentina will win.

Germany dismantled a shit brazilian team, mi55ing its best 2 players, that played tactically right into the krauts hands......
To think the squareheads will dominate based on the brazil game, is beyond fooooilish.
One thing thats for certain, one thing thats for sure
The less you want, the more youve got, so dont you cry for more

grecian
Stew Ingredient

Post by grecian » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:11 pm

Both evenly matched Teams as far as I can see...

Whoever turns up on the day and plays the best Football and takes their chances will win...

That's Football, innit??

Daft Kunts....

Kilombo
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kilombo » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:15 pm

Vamos Argentina!
Prost!

ceylon_tea
Stew Ingredient

Post by ceylon_tea » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:48 pm

Vamos Argentina! I'm off to the pub to get a seat.

Agent009
Stew Ingredient

Post by Agent009 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:59 pm

Vamos argentina!
Sho! Sho! Sho!

davebt
Stew Ingredient

Post by davebt » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:46 pm

Argentina will win. Germany peaked a game too soon and Messi until now hasn't had a great tournament.
writing is on the wall.

Agent009
Stew Ingredient

Post by Agent009 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:53 pm

Vamos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!

Agent009
Stew Ingredient

Post by Agent009 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:12 pm

Anyone seeeen messi?

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:16 pm

He's saving his energy for the impending shootout.

Agent009
Stew Ingredient

Post by Agent009 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:20 pm

The turf looooks to be in bad shape.....

GayTurk_Izmir
Stew Ingredient

Post by GayTurk_Izmir » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:32 pm

GO GERMANY............................
One can’t go to pieces at the death of every foreigner. We’d all be in a constant state of collapse whenever we opened a newspaper.”Maggie Smith(Downton Abbey)

Agent009
Stew Ingredient

Post by Agent009 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:33 pm

Great goal to win it!

Agent009
Stew Ingredient

Post by Agent009 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:34 pm

Or did I speak to sooon?....

jedgarandclyde
Stew Ingredient

Post by jedgarandclyde » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:06 pm

I know it is blowing my own trumpet, but guess who tipped it to be a close game with Germany to sneak it 1-0 or 2-1?

Free American Joe!!!

Kilombo
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kilombo » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:37 am

tough final and great goal by Götze. Messi was never in his best form during the WC
Prost!

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:54 am

A beautiful goal. The Germans simply outplayed them. Good game.

OK, we can shut this branch down now.
Our problem is civil obedience. -Howard Zinn

dragon
Stew Ingredient

Post by dragon » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:44 am

i'm resigning from sportsfanhood. it was brief.
She is a great-kneed person.

sodelicious
Stew Ingredient

Post by sodelicious » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:19 am

In the end I didn't hedge and just stuck with my bet on Germany that I made at the beginning of the tournament. Glad I did.

andybox
Stew Ingredient

Post by andybox » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:27 am

Drinks at Sode's.
The rich get richer, the poor get the picture, the bombs never hit you when you're down so low.

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:42 am

snowgirl wrote:A beautiful goal.

Yep. Even Mr_S, who is NOT a sports fan and has never watched a soccer game before in his life, enjoyed all the replays.

I thought the Germans deserved it.

I gotta ask, though, what's the provenance of the name "Schweinsteiger"? Doesn't that mean "pig climber"?
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:22 am

Its never too late...whats this????