Steel cut oats

Killing the internets, one recipe at a time
sieve
Stew Ingredient

Steel cut oats

Post by sieve » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:04 pm

Do you like them?
I've started doing them in the crockpot. I made pumpkin pie steel cut oats and am finising that off today and just put in a batch of apple cinnamon oats in preparation for the next few days. I need something easy in the mornings since I don't have much energy. Just warm up the oats I've already made and put in whatever fruit and sunflour seeds or pumpkin seeds and some plain yogurt and it's great. The steel cut oats hold up to being cooked on low for 4 or 5 hours. Rolled oats wouldn't really work that way. But damn it if the local food coop has just closed where you can get that sort of thing much cheaper. Safeway doesn't have bulk foods so I guess I'll look at City Market the next time I go that way.
May the road rise to meet you. May the wind be always at your back. May annoying people trip and spill a bit of coffee on their white shirts, but have no time to change, and feel completely self-conscious for the rest of the day.

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Re: Steel cut oats

Post by Scrubb » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:52 pm

I don't know the difference between different kinds of oats. All I know is that the stuff in my cupboard cooks in liquid on the stove top in about 4 or 5 minutes. It's microwaveable too, but I haven't done them that way.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:17 am

I've never bought steel cut oats, but I really should. I've eaten them ready prepared, and the texture is great.
Thanks for giving me the incentive. I bet the apple cinnamon ones are really good.
Pass the wine...

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:19 am

Pass the wine...

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:34 pm

Yes, I really like steel cut oats. I haven't made them in a while but used to make them in batches and put cut up dried apricots in them and/or dried cranberries, pecan pieces, cinnamon, vanilla or any combination of those things. I much prefer the texture of them to other oats.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:48 pm

Scrubb wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:52 pm
I don't know the difference between different kinds of oats. All I know is that the stuff in my cupboard cooks in liquid on the stove top in about 4 or 5 minutes. It's microwaveable too, but I haven't done them that way.
I make Quaker "old fashioned" oats, which is probably similar to what you use. It takes five minutes, not that much longer than it takes in the microwave. I have made them in the microwave, but I don't like the texture (mouth-feel?) when they're finished.

I cook them the way my mother did when we were kids; I measure out the dry oats into a heavy-bottomed pan, then add the required amount of water. If I'm going to have them with raisins, I add the raisins, too. I put the pan on the stove, bring the oats to a boil, stir and immediately lower the heat to someting above a simmer. After five minutes of cooking like that, stirring occasionally, they're done. I transfer them from the pan to a bowl, add honey and milk, and it's like I'm back to my childhood, getting ready for the one-mile walk to school.

I just discovered the other dat that my method is wrong. The instuctions on the package say to bring the water (or milk) to a boil before adding the oats. I tried it, but although the cooked oats are as thick as when made my way, they don't feel as smooth and creamy. I mentioned adding raisins to the oats and water in the pan before cooking the oats; if I use bananas or other fruit, the fruit goes into the bowl on top of the cooked oats.
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:27 am

yes, I prefer oat groats/Irish oats/steel cut oats (large not small)
Taking advantage of what is not working to make changes in your life often leads to your greatest opportunities and accomplishments --GND