Liver tomorrow for supper!

Killing the internets, one recipe at a time
islandboi
Stew Ingredient

Liver tomorrow for supper!

Post by islandboi » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:20 am

Jonesing for it now after all the talk over on the mainline here.

Red wine and shallots? New potatoes? A fat crustinni?
"Good morning, Stewpot…. The world is your day!"

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Re: Liver tomorrow for supper!

Post by EMG » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:27 am

Liver is one of those things I try like 3 or 4 times a year and just never like.

Tried it again last weekend. Still can't enjoy the flavor.

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:07 am

Yeah, even when I ate meat, I didn't like liver. As a kid I'd try it when Mom made it and the first bite was ok, and the second was passable, but bite #3 just sucked. I do like chicken liver, though.

But enjoy yours. With red wine and shallots, and new potatoes. It's the right time of year for new potatoes.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:21 am

Oh yeah, poultry liver I've found palatable.

Just none of those from larger animals I've tried.

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:40 am

When my brother and sister-in-law were going to Paris for the first time, I made a list of things they might see on a French menu. Boeuf = beef; Veau = veal; Poule, poulet, volaille = some form of chicken or fowl; Porc = pork; and so on for meats, vegetables, and fruits, plus some desserts. When they returned, my brother told me of one disappointing meal he'd had:

He ordered veal, but when the plate was set down before him he said to my sister-in-law that it looked like liver; worse, it smelled like liver, which he didn't like. When he actually took the first bite, it WAS liver!

I hadn't thought to warn him that the foie de veau he might see on a menu wasn't veal, but calf's liver.
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:22 pm

I love liver, but don't eat it often due to cholesterol. My favorite for calves liver will always be lightly fried with sauteed onions, mashed potatoes and grave with creamed green peas. Of course that is even more of a cholesterol bomb, but that is the way my Aunt would make it on the farm when I was a kid.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:45 pm

We never had liver when I was a kid; never having tried it, I had no idea of how it tasted.

There came a day when my mother had to go somewhere, so my aunt was taking care of me (my aunt and uncle lived in the flat above ours). At lunchtime, she asked if I liked liver, and I said yes, so she prepared some for me. Once she put the meal on my plate, she left the kitchen.

I took one bite and hated it. When my aunt eventually came back to the kitchen, though, my plate looked like I'd licked it clean; no more mashed potatoes, no more liver, no more anything. I went back to playing with the toys I had brought upstairs with me, and when my mother returned home she came upstairs to get me.

Maybe a half-hour later, my aunt was in our flat. "Why didn't you tell me you didn't like liver? I would have made something else for you!" Puzzled, I said I DID like liver, but then my aunt told me she'd found the liver submerged in the bowl of milk on the floor for her cat. Darn that cat! I thought they liked liver, so I hid my liver in the cat's milk, thinking it would be a nice surprise. I guess it was, and the cat's mewed objections brought my aunt into her kitchen to see what was wrong.

I did eat everything else on the plate, though. And now I actually like liver.
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

Kikilamour
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kikilamour » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:31 pm

pate is good.
a big floppy gloopy cow liver is hard to take, but a calf's liver is more palatable, tender and way less pungent.

i like chicken livers with port and mushrooms and onions.

islandboi
Stew Ingredient

Post by islandboi » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:27 pm

My Mennonite "Oma" used to cook pork liver after the hog slaughter was over.

That was terrible. Pigs are omnivorous like humans except without the cirrhosis... you can imagine the taste.

Mom steered us clear of her place generally when there was wind of this being served.

everso
Stew Ingredient

Post by everso » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:33 pm

I'm almost gagging at that. The only time I eat liver is if I have pâté, which isn't that often.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:41 pm

I am truly not trying to be difficult here, but how can you like pate but not like the taste of liver?
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:20 pm

Can't see the fascination of eating an organ of a murdered animal personally....you lot want fcuking shooting ...you really do.

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:20 am

Grew up eating liver and onions and as a young adult I would cook it regularly. Then one day suddenly I just couldn’t- it utterly repulsed me. Ordered it in Venice and enjoyed it but still not sure I can cook it. I have seen calves liver in the store and usually my stomach just clenches. But after nearly 50 years of repulsion I want to try it again. I think I just used to flour it and fry it up with tons of onions and serve with mashed potato.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:37 am

NorthAmerican wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:40 am
When my brother and sister-in-law were going to Paris for the first time, I made a list of things they might see on a French menu. Boeuf = beef; Veau = veal; Poule, poulet, volaille = some form of chicken or fowl; Porc = pork; and so on for meats, vegetables, and fruits, plus some desserts. When they returned, my brother told me of one disappointing meal he'd had:

He ordered veal, but when the plate was set down before him he said to my sister-in-law that it looked like liver; worse, it smelled like liver, which he didn't like. When he actually took the first bite, it WAS liver!

I hadn't thought to warn him that the foie de veau he might see on a menu wasn't veal, but calf's liver.
A traveling companion ordered cervelle de mouton, feeling confident of the word mouton.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:38 am

Leber Berliner Art is liver with onions and apples. It's good.

Pork liver is my favorite next to poultry liver.

mishmish
Stew Ingredient

Post by mishmish » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:12 am

yum for chicken liver only. In all forms (pate, Jewish style chopped liver, with sauted w.onions + splash of red wine). I don't like beef liver and both dislike and disapprove of forcefed goose liver (barf).

rezuar
Stew Ingredient

Post by rezuar » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:27 pm

Liver is probably the only thing I miss since I stopped eating meat...
Mmmm...sauteed onions and bell peppers with chicken liver doused in teriyaki sauce with basmati rice...
Thinly sliced beef liver in sour cream sauce with mashed potatoes...
My Mum’s liver balls in Sunday beef soup...

Grrr. I want liver now.
Keep an open mind but not so open your brain falls out.

islandboi
Stew Ingredient

Post by islandboi » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:42 pm

Mom used to try to make it palatable for us kids and pop.... She almost made a stew of it... with tons and tons of bacon, tomatoes, green peppers..... all loaded on mashed taters and peas... You have to have peas with liver.

When I got older, I just liked the taste of liver and I would pan fry it with onions.

Whenst I came to the StewPot, I felt a huge push to go higher end so I started to cook it with red wine, shallots, garlic and salmon roe...

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:39 pm

Salmon roe???!!!

mishmish
Stew Ingredient

Post by mishmish » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:28 pm

Heheh hopefully not with liver

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:15 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:37 am

A traveling companion ordered cervelle de mouton, feeling confident of the word mouton.
My mother's "fur" coat, from the '50s or '60s, turns out to be mouton. It really looks like some kind of fur. She says it was what everyone was wearing, then. I just googled the term, and the first entry says "mouton fur may refer to sheepskin that has been made to resemble beaver or seal". (My guess, before I asked Mom, was that it was seal.)

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:57 pm

Cervelle = brains.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:14 pm

It's been a while since I've had liver. We used to have it regularly (lamb's usually), fried with onions to start with, then braised for a while and the liquid thickened into a gravy. Mash and peas on the side.
Pass the wine...

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:17 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:57 pm
Cervelle = brains.
Yes, I know. Just the word "mouton" happened to remind me of the coat, which has been on my mind because I am trying to figure out how to sell it.

To bring things back to edible parts, haven't I read about using an animal's brains to help tan the leather, or cure the skin?

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:29 pm

Yes. The Indians used the brains of the buffalo to cure or tan the skin side of a buffalo robe. I don't think "tan" is exactly the right word. I think it may be just that the fat in the brains softened it.

Ledbetter
Stew Ingredient

Post by Ledbetter » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:51 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:57 pm
Cervelle = brains.
Le cerveau : partie supérieure de l'encéphale ou l'encéphale dans son ensemble. Pour rappel, l'encéphale correspond à tout ce qui est contenu dans la boîte cranienne (je vous laisse le soin d'aller vérifier par vous-même)

-La cervelle : Appellation donnée à la substance (inexistante anatomiquement) que l'on considère comme le siège des facultés intellectuelle. D'une certaine manière, la cervelle est associée à l'intelligence(ou à son absence...).

Les usages particuliers, métonymiques :

-Le cerveau : celui/celle qui a concu un projet, une affaire, une entreprise, donc qui en est à la "tête". Ou "un cerveau" désignant une personne exceptionnellement intelligente.

-La cervelle : celui/celle qui n'a "rien dans la cervelle"(l'usage est généralement à sens négatif) est la personne qui manque de jugeotte, d'intelligence, de bon sens, qui se montre étourdie, etc. Phrase que vous pouvez facilement rencontrer/entendre : "Mais bon sang, qu'est-ce que tu as dans la cervelle!?"

J'espère que cela vous suffira.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:10 pm

Selon Wikipédia:
En anatomie animale et humaine, le cerveau (ou encéphale), est l'organe central supervisant le système nerveux.
En cuisine on parle généralement de cervelle.
But I could be remembering wrong. This was in 1968.

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:45 pm

Going back to Scrubb's comment about fur coats in the '50s (I think the fad was over by the '60s), both my mother and aunt had mouton coats, described by the furrier as "mouton lamb."

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:39 pm

Fried chicken liver with egg noodles and fresh green peas is delightful. Bacon, onions, sour cream, mushroom duxelles. Red wine, crusty bread and butter.

Lemon sherbet to follow.

guruwil
vegemite flavored maple syrup

Post by guruwil » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:53 pm

Stan In Maryland wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:22 pm
I love liver, but don't eat it often due to cholesterol. My favorite for calves liver will always be lightly fried with sauteed onions, mashed potatoes and grave with creamed green peas. Of course that is even more of a cholesterol bomb, but that is the way my Aunt would make it on the farm when I was a kid.
Most of the experts now believe that dietary cholesterol has little to no impact on cholesterol levels, all of the cholesterol in your system is made by your own Liver and not picked up from your food. If you like Liver you should be able to eat it from time to time.

But it’s revolting I don’t know what you would 🤢🤢🤢🤮🤮🤮
An it harm none, do what ye will

We are all Atheists about most gods, some of us just go one god further.
judik wrote:Guruwil was right!!!
jono_in_adelaide wrote:I think Guru is right on this one
“shunter” wrote: I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Guru is bang on the money here.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:21 pm

guruwil wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:53 pm

Peasant.

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:35 pm

NorthAmerican wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:45 pm
Going back to Scrubb's comment about fur coats in the '50s (I think the fad was over by the '60s), both my mother and aunt had mouton coats, described by the furrier as "mouton lamb."
If you would like one as a reminder of your mother and aunt, I happen to have one for sale! :D

guruwil

Post by guruwil » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:07 am

BulletPark wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:21 pm
guruwil wrote:

Peasant.
Guilty

“shunter” wrote: I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Guru is bang on the money here.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:13 pm

guruwil wrote:
Stan In Maryland wrote:
Most of the experts now believe that dietary cholesterol has little to no impact on cholesterol levels, all of the cholesterol in your system is made by your own Liver and not picked up from your food. If you like Liver you should be able to eat it from time to time.

Well, that is good news. I tell you what, I will try to learn to love beet on burger if you will try to love liver.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:13 pm

I'm good with neither of those.

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:54 pm

I am eating turkey liver as I post this. It is tasty. I just put on salt & pepper and a dash of butter, the wrapped in foil and stuck it in the oven while the turkey is cooking.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:50 pm

One of the perquisites of the chef.

guruwil

Post by guruwil » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:52 pm

Stan In Maryland wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:13 pm
guruwil wrote:
Stan In Maryland wrote:

Well, that is good news. I tell you what, I will try to learn to love beet on burger if you will try to love liver.
Much as I respect you Stan, I have tried and failed and I am getting to the time of my life where I am an old dog and will learn less new tricks. Beetroot on burgers is delicious but I have no need force it upon you if it’s not your thing.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:56 pm

Liver and bacon at Bar Bruno on Wardour St is a Soho classic.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:05 pm

guruwil wrote:
Stan In Maryland wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:13 pm
guruwil wrote:

But it’s revolting I don’t know what you would ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Much as I respect you Stan, I have tried and failed and I am getting to the time of my life where I am an old dog and will learn less new tricks. Beetroot on burgers is delicious but I have no need force it upon you if it’s not your thing.
Ok, I have to confess, I actually think the beet thing sounds pretty good and plan to try it. I was hoping to leverage that into getting you to eat liver in the name of Australian pride. No one in my family likes liver either

Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk