When older people bake...

Killing the internets, one recipe at a time
everso
Stew Ingredient

When older people bake...

Post by everso » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:37 pm

Today's baking tip: when baking cherry and almond loaf, make sure you include the glacé cherries BEFORE you put the fucking thing in the oven.

Any other tips to avoid baking/cooking disasters?

leela
Stew Ingredient

Re: When older people bake...

Post by leela » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:49 pm

I was watching Celebrity Masterchef last night, and was somewhat reassured when the youngish contestant AND the older chef who was mentoring him, both forgot to put the tuile biscuit on top of the dessert before they served it.
Pass the wine...

everso
Stew Ingredient

Post by everso » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:05 pm

leela wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:49 pm
I was watching Celebrity Masterchef last night, and was somewhat reassured when the youngish contestant AND the older chef who was mentoring him, both forgot to put the tuile biscuit on top of the dessert before they served it.
And as we both know, that could be the death of a good dessert.

I've had a baking day today and this bloody cake isn't cheap to make because it contains ground almonds. It was too late to put the cherries in so it'll be just plain almond cake. First world problems, I know, but still...

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:22 pm

Serve it with a cherry sauce? Icing and glace cherries on top? Slice it horizontally and put the layer of cherries inside?

But yep, I hate hate hate these absent minded episodes. At least your event didn't lead to your car rolling into someone else's in your absence. I'm still waiting to hear how much the nice woman's car will cost to repair.
There needs to be a 'you haven't put your handbrake on' alarm on cars. Why have they not done that?
Pass the wine...

everso
Stew Ingredient

Post by everso » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:42 pm

Agreed. We have a warning beeper on Mr Ev's car that lets him know if he's trying to drive off with the handbrake on.

Yes, icing and cherries on top. I might just do that. I did use the prepared cherries in some fairy cakes anyway so they weren't wasted.

I can't believe I'm still going on about the cherries.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:51 pm

Yep, it'd be much more useful to have a beeper that tells you your car could roll away at any point, than the one we have that tells us not to drive with the handbrake on. We'd notice the latter eventually. The former often not until it's too late.
Pass the wine...

jessica_fletcher
Stew Ingredient

Post by jessica_fletcher » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:53 pm

Glacier cherries are horribl, you did that cake a favour.

If you must use them, decorate with.
VinnyD wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:13 pm
Oops.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:03 pm

I didn't want to be the first to mention it but jess is telling the truth here. When you said almond and cherry loaf I thought you meant fresh cherries. Even dried cherries would be better.

I'm sure your almond loaf is delicious, ever.
Our problem is civil obedience. -Howard Zinn

everso
Stew Ingredient

Post by everso » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:18 pm

Do you know, we tried the almond cake yesterday and it is lovely. I like glace cherries, but the cake was fine without. Not better or worse, just a bit different.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:47 pm

Leftover glace cherries?

Use them as extra garnish for perfect Manhattans.

Mash one onto your nose and pretend you're a clown.

Give them away to your belly-dancer friends as edible navel jewels.

Heap them on Eggs Benedict and pass them off as jumbo-size shad roe.

Leave a trail of them from the house to the garage to find out if elderly alien botanists are hiding in the latter.

Stick them to your face and run outside screaming that you're dying of bigpox.

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:33 pm

Doesn't the coffee cake below make your mouth water? It's a sour cream streusel cake that I've made many times. What you see is the usual, perfectly turned out version. First you see it whole, then you see a slice that exposes the purée of fresh strawberries at the cake's center.

Once, though, after the cake was in the oven and I was cleaning up the kitchen countertop, I noticed the cup of sour cream that I had forgotten to stir into the batter. The cake that came out of the oven was still tasty, just not quite as moist as usual.

Image Image

That dumb error on my part wasn't just because I was old. More than 40 years ago I was baking a baguette of French bread and it turned out inedible.
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

everso
Stew Ingredient

Post by everso » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:28 pm

NorthAmerican wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:33 pm
Doesn't the coffee cake below make your mouth water? It's a sour cream streusel cake that I've made many times. What you see is the usual, perfectly turned out version. First you see it whole, then you see a slice that exposes the purée of fresh strawberries at the cake's center.

Once, though, after the cake was in the oven and I was cleaning up the kitchen countertop, I noticed the cup of sour cream that I had forgotten to stir into the batter. The cake that came out of the oven was still tasty, just not quite as moist as usual.

Image Image

That dumb error on my part wasn't just because I was old. More than 40 years ago I was baking a baguette of French bread and it turned out inedible.
If you get a chance, I'd love the recipe for that, NA.

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:26 pm

everso wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:28 pm
NorthAmerican wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:33 pm
Doesn't the coffee cake below make your mouth water? It's a sour cream streusel cake that I've made many times....(images omitted)
If you get a chance, I'd love the recipe for that, NA.
I'm glad to oblige; it's from 2014, when I saw it in the New York Times:

Spatchcock the chicken. Cut the cake. Ah, summer!
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

everso
Stew Ingredient

Post by everso » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:12 pm

Many thanks for that, NA. I'll try the chicken dish too I think.

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:17 pm

everso wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:12 pm
Many thanks for that, NA. I'll try the chicken dish too I think.
Chicken prepared from that recipe turns out delicious.