Vegetarian barbeque (no this is not a joke)

Killing the internets, one recipe at a time
desertstorm
Stew Ingredient

Vegetarian barbeque (no this is not a joke)

Post by desertstorm » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:06 pm

This is errr, inspired, by the ahem, barbeque one of the couples organised for us (20+ people) last year, which was alarmingly bad. Apparently the couple who is around the same age as mine, but had never had or at least organised a BBQ before themselves. The borrowed a grill thingy but failed to light a fire. They went out to buy Valass burgers and what's not, which was fine, and intended to grill a whole courgette and big carrots with nothing, not even oil, then went out and got some of the nastiest meat to feed the meat eaters, those long shelf life vacuumed packed sausages and burgers that will last until the zombie apocalypse comes.

I am torn between the thought of showing them how it should be done and do a kick arse veggie BBQ (with meat for meat lovers), or add rat poison in their chickpea burger. Maybe I should do both.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Re: Vegetarian barbeque (no this is not a joke)

Post by korgy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:10 pm

everyone today seems to use the word "barbecue" for "cookout" or "grilling". grilling is not barbecuing. unfortunately, people don't know what the difference is, so it will probably become standard.

barbecuing is cooking something very slowly with hot air circulating all around in an enclosed situation. it's ideal for slow-cooked meats.

grilling is nothing like that.
"Iranians apparently disagree with korgy"

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:15 pm

korgy wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:10 pm
everyone today seems to use the word "barbecue" for "cookout" or "grilling". grilling is not barbecuing. unfortunately, people don't know what the difference is, so it will probably become standard.

barbecuing is cooking something very slowly with hot air circulating all around in an enclosed situation. it's ideal for slow-cooked meats.

In the UK we say barbecue for what you call grilling.
Barbecuing as you describe it is unusual to the point of being unknown to me. Which is a shame, because it sounds good.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

cuchulainn
Instigator

Post by cuchulainn » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:34 pm

I've seen tandoori cauliflower and cauliflower al pastor on menus.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:27 pm

Grilled vegetables can be fantastic. Get a bunch and grill them up, and make an assortment of sauces. Add in papas arrugadas and you’d have a great non-USA barbecue spread.
This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.

bundes
Stew Ingredient

Post by bundes » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:44 pm

Paneer skewers would work.

ceylon_tea
Stew Ingredient

Post by ceylon_tea » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:55 pm

If can't cook it's going to suck. If you can cook, there are plenty of options.
Vege burgers, Jack fruit 'pulled pork in grilled buns, halloumi skewers, grilled vegetable, various salads and dips

I've never had a vegetarian BBQ but I've made that Jack fruit pulled pork for a vegetarian friend. It was delicious.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:43 pm

It's a BBQ, for God's sake... you MUST have burgers. These are really good. Even the carnivores will like them.

I use more balsamic than what is called for in the recipe and let them marinate longer.

PORTABELLA MUSHROOM BURGERS

INGREDIENTS
4 large portabella mushrooms
1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 -4 cloves garlic, finely minced
salt and pepper
4 ounces sliced provolone cheese
4 whole wheat rolls
sliced tomatoes (optional)
romaine lettuce leaf (optional)
sliced grilled onion (optional)
Dijon mustard (optional)
Basically just use whatever toppings you like... I make an garlic aioli for these.

INSTRUCTIONS
Cut stems off of mushrooms and place smooth side up in a shallow dish.
Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
Prepare the marinade by whisking together the vinegar, oil, basil, oregano, and garlic.
Pour the marinade over the mushrooms and allow to stand at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes, turning once or twice.
Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
Place the mushrooms on the preheated grill, reserving the marinade for basting
Grill mushrooms for 5 to 8 minutes per side, basting frequently with marinade.
During the last 2 minutes of grilling, top with cheese.
Serve with the whole wheat rolls and condiments of your choice.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:11 pm

I hate portobello burgers.
This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:21 pm

You say that now but I'm pretty sure I got the recipe from you.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:37 pm

Not a recipe, but I picked some of these up the other day, as they were heavily reduced on their use by date.

They were absolutely amazing. SO good, and beautifully spiced. I'm not big on veggie alternatives to things that are normally meat based, but the taste and texture of these, though not setting out to emulate meat, were really good. Definitely worth a try for any Brits around, veggies or not.
Pass the wine...

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:39 pm

northern_goddess wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:43 pm
It's a BBQ, for God's sake..
no, actually, it's just a cookout with grill. flipping burgers is not barbecue.

i've think we've already reached the point where the term was passed around and has lost it's original meaning, sadly.

https://www.cnn.com/2015/07/03/living/b ... index.html

https://www.southernliving.com/food/how ... s-grilling

https://www.chowhound.com/food-news/185 ... -grilling/

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:46 pm

I think we've established that different things have different names in different places and that the meaning of words appears to evolve over time.

From Mirriam-Webster:
Definition of barbecue

barbecued; barbecuing
transitive verb
1 : to roast or broil on a rack or revolving spit over or before a source of heat (such as hot coals)
From the English Oxford:
barbecue
(also barbeque)
NOUN
1A meal or gathering at which meat, fish, or other food is cooked out of doors on a rack over an open fire or on a special appliance.
It goes on and on.

So, according to several dictionaries... yes, it is a BBQ.
Last edited by northern_goddess on Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:46 pm

Barbecuing... means you’re cooking your food low and slow. Rather than using direct heat— like with grilling — the smoke produced from the burning of wood or coal fuels the BBQ cooking process..
being from the South, we still have rivalries between NC style barbecue, Texas style and other styles -- but they all evolved from slowcooked meats originally cooked in pits.

here is the origin of barbecue from barbacoa in the Caribbean:

https://www.spicesinc.com/p-3672-bbq-or ... ll-it.aspx

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:49 pm

northern_goddess wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:46 pm
I think we've established that different things have different names in different places and that the meaning of words appears to evolve over time.
yes, it makes me sad that the Brits and Northerners have now decided that burger-flipping is barbecuing. people are starting to say that in Brooklyn as well. it's a fairly new misnomer here, however -- people used to know the difference . experts on outdoor cooking still rail about this horrendous misappropriation when interviewed.

soon they'll be calling Koolaid juice.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:51 pm

i guess it doesnt compare to calling a skincare/nail salon a "spa", however.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:59 pm

just because words evolve, i'm still not convinced we are at the point were we can't point out that it is not very accurate to call burger-flippng "barbecuing" -- most food resources still point out the difference, and most chefs are not going to refer to grilled veggies as "barbecue", or slow-cooked meat
Barbecue is a very interesting type of food in that it is found in several corners of the world in various ways, but they all have the same basic traits. By definition, barbecuing means to slow-cook meat at a low temperature for a long time over wood or charcoal..
NG, those portadello burgers look great, btw.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:05 pm

“Barbecue” is this weeks poke bowl.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:06 pm

I sent a donation to help fund the Poke Palace's (or whatever it's called) legal defence.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:11 pm

Vegetable kebabs can be good. And grilled onion is good by itself. And grilled corn.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:13 pm

EMG wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:11 pm
Vegetable kebabs can be good. And grilled onion is good by itself. And grilled corn.
Yup. Very good.

Does anybody know if BBQ sheets and grill mats are any good?
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:23 pm

northern_goddess wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:06 pm
I sent a donation to help fund the Poke Palace's (or whatever it's called) legal defence.
NG, i didnt mean to get in a pissing match with you particularly, i just think it is important to point out that this is the cooking branch, where we discuss cooking. you might find dictionaries using the term "barbecue" as generally an outdoor social event with cooked food, because people have come to use it that way; but i doubt you'll find any legitimate food source describing the "barbecue" process as anything other than a way of slow-cooking mostly meats, that originated in the Caribbean and the spread through the South. that is what the culinary term has always meant, and still does.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:08 am

Korgy, that post is me poking at s8 about the great poke incident.

And yes, we've had lots of discussions here about Southern Barbecue, for example.

desertstorm
Stew Ingredient

Post by desertstorm » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:34 am

ceylon_tea wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:55 pm
If can't cook it's going to suck. If you can cook, there are plenty of options.
Vege burgers, Jack fruit 'pulled pork in grilled buns, halloumi skewers, grilled vegetable, various salads and dips

I've never had a vegetarian BBQ but I've made that Jack fruit pulled pork for a vegetarian friend. It was delicious.
That is what I intend to do, veg and also important, good dip sauces. The jackfruit pull pork sounds interesting, would try for another time. What I fear making vegetarian dishes for vegetarians is that they are all getting the same dishes again and again. Hope this is something different for them.

Will post the things I intend to make for this barbecue when I have more time. Ideas (like the portobello burger) are welcome.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:55 am

I am going to bet that if you find a writer using barbecue to mean grilling generally, korgy will say that that writer is not "a legitimate food source".

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:27 pm

We’ve called burger flipping “Barbecue” my entire life. You’re too late!

But now I have grown, and travelled, my authentic vegetarian barbecue involves digging a pit in the back garden and filling it with kale and hot stones.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:32 pm

BBQ is when it's sunny one Saturday and we all pile round to somebody's house to drink supermarket beer and eat scorched sausages.

mishmish
Stew Ingredient

Post by mishmish » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:17 pm

hmm
I'm guessing no one is confused about what OP meant when he used the term bbqs, which is the actual purpose of words, not making Korky happy with himself.

Recipes, people, ideas and recipes! Sadly I have nothing to contribute since all our bbqs involve copious amounts of meat. Waaay too much, actually, considering everyone would be very happy with more of the vege stuff.

* Wait, I remembered something: around here they sell soy based cocktail weiners. They are really very good (and I'm a dedicated carnivore)

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:21 pm

BBQ Sheets?
Anybody?

(The question is moot ((NOT mute)) as the summer has ended here.)

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:22 pm

The vegan loses his shit over the "horrendous misappropriation" of BBQ. Hilarious!
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.
VD wrote:Why are you saying Zzzzzz instead of Zzzzz?

desertstorm
Stew Ingredient

Post by desertstorm » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:19 pm

I can cheat this time because the vegetarians eat normal cheese.

This time it will be the same 20+ people, many of them vegetarians, some of them pescatarians. I am thinking mostly veggies thingy and then with some seafood and skip the land animals.

Now I have discovered the simple trick of doing a veggie barbecue is simply using some good vegetarian recipes and turn them into a barbecue version, which is much more simple than you think if you know there are aluminium foil, bamboo skewers, filo pastry and what's not to contain the food above fire, and I again, look to Ottolenghi for veggie inspiration. This is what I intend to do, but suggestions are welcome.

Chickpea burger with or without rat poison = falafel made into a burger, with all the whistles and bells but I am very tempted to do that cauliflower burger.
Fritters! Pre-fried some of them and then put the things on the grill before serving. I am doing a courgette olive paste one, and a tofu sweet corn one, both from Mr. Otto.
Aubergine rolls with feta chilli and mint
That portobello mushroom thingy from NG sounds delicious
Fennel, olive, pear and halloumi skewer
Butternut squash, onion and tomatoes skewer
Need to think up something with asparagus, or maybe just grill them

Seafood:
Mackerel, just olive oil, garlic, S&P, and lemon juice
shrimps skewers
Razor clams (never grill them before)

Have done fish in aluminium parcel thingy many times, also whole fish (trout or seabass) in wet newspaper.

Dip sauces:
Baba ganoush
Tzatziki
a bell pepper walnut sauce which name I forget

Served with bread and grain/pulses salad yet to be decided.
Last edited by desertstorm on Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:22 pm

I used to wrap asparagus in foil (with some garlic, onion, butter, salt, pepper) and throw it on the grill. It grills and steams and boils in the butter all at the same time. Would work with oil too if you want to skip the butter.

desertstorm
Stew Ingredient

Post by desertstorm » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:25 pm

I usually just put them directly above the grill rack with olive oil, S&P.

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:11 pm

korgy, this:

has been called a barbeque where I live, my entire life. So that's more than 50 years.

What one cooks on a BBQ is BBQed.

Speaking of which, I had a veggie burger last week that was excellent. It's the first store bought one I've ever enjoyed. The homemade ones I've liked were blackbean based, with some chipotle sauce, corn, and I forget what else

And, when should I be there, desertstorm?
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:20 am

Well, barbecue is an Arawak word with a specific meaning and you Canadians have taken that and misapplied it. That’s fine with me but we shouldn’t pretend otherwise.

Kikilamour
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kikilamour » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:30 pm

apparently a&w has a new meatless burger. has anyone tried it?

my new boyf eats light meals and he has introduced me to the delights of grilled peppers. he's an excellent cook. also his baba ganoosh is superbe.

i like marinated tofu steaks on the bbq. also, veggie dogs taste practically the same as the penis tip ones.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:50 pm

Are gas grills really that old?

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:04 pm

Moethebartender wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:22 pm
The vegan loses his shit over the "horrendous misappropriation" of BBQ. Hilarious!
i have not lost my "shit", but what exactly is the contradiction you see, Moe? i'm guessing you dont have the capacity to articulate it -- especially since there isnt one.
mish wrote:the actual purpose of words, not making Korky happy with himself.
oooh --- tch, tch.. so bitter.
based on mish's personality on this forum, i'm guessing there are misapplications of food names indiginous to where she is from that she would flip out about

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:10 pm

Scrubb wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:11 pm
korgy, this...has been called a barbeque where I live, my entire life. So that's more than 50 years.
thanks Scrubb. where are you from? Canada?

as i understand it, that appliance could actually be used for barbecuing meat in the true sense -- that is, slow cooking or smoking meat for hours at a time. i think that is how the enclosed grill came to be called a "barbecue".

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:20 pm

Kikilamour wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:30 pm
apparently a&w has a new meatless burger. has anyone tried it?
Yes! I actually had one last week. I haven't had a meat burger for so long that I can't tell you if this was close to "the real thing" but it was pretty good. But I made the mistake of just ordering it instead of ordering a burger with the toppings I wanted and replacing the meat with the non-meat one - so it didn't have the condiments I would have chosen if I'd been thinking.
VinnyD wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:50 pm
Are gas grills really that old?
Possibly not; I should have chosen a picture that looked more like the charcoal grills of my childhood, but I just grabbed an image. My point was that the backyard grills we cooked burgers and hotdogs on as kids were called BBQs.

Korgy - yes, Canada.

Kikilamour
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kikilamour » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:25 pm

scrubb, cool. i might try one with real toppings then. i wonder if it's the same calorie intake.

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:35 pm

It listed the calories of each meal (this was in BC, may vary from province to province) and it looked pretty similar to a regular burger.

Kikilamour
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kikilamour » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:43 pm

i just looked and a mama burger with cheese has less calories than a meatless burger!! i'm sticking with meat!!!

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:58 pm

interesting.

BBQ as a noun (a grill).

BBQ involves way way way more time, usually a week prep work plus cook time.

I did not have time to prep the meat as usual...just threw some racks into a metal pan, covered it in a mixture of numerous spices, baked on high in oven til done. WOW. was delicious. And took about half an hour.

That was the last time I "bbq"´d.

"Aubergine rolls with feta chilli and mint" sounds good. As does the asparagus butter etc idea. And the butternut squash etc skewers
Taking advantage of what is not working to make changes in your life often leads to your greatest opportunities and accomplishments --GND

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:58 pm

Kikilamour wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:43 pm
i just looked and a mama burger with cheese has less calories than a meatless burger!! i'm sticking with meat!!!
yes. yes.
Taking advantage of what is not working to make changes in your life often leads to your greatest opportunities and accomplishments --GND

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:24 pm

korky wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:04 pm
Moethebartender wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:22 pm
i have not lost my "shit", but what exactly is the contradiction you see, Moe? i'm guessing you dont have the capacity to articulate it -- especially since there isnt one.
You're a ridiculous, humorless little man. That amuses me greatly. Go suck on a mandelic lotus root, twat.
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.
VD wrote:Why are you saying Zzzzzz instead of Zzzzz?

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:07 pm

At heart I think we all know I would agree with Korgy on this, but I have given up that fight.

I am not sure what GND preps for a week for bbq, but I have made a lot of traditional bbq and don't think I have ever prepped any of it for a week. Certain cured and smoked items, but not what I would consider bbq.

I can love a good veggie burger, but don't try and a make it taste like meat, let it taste like a good veggie burger. And I agree many veggies are great grilled. I often make the entire meal, protein, veggie and starch on the grill.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

Ped_Yai
Stew Ingredient

Post by Ped_Yai » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:19 am

korgy wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:49 pm
northern_goddess wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:46 pm
yes, it makes me sad that the Brits and Northerners have now decided that burger-flipping is barbecuing. people are starting to say that in Brooklyn as well. it's a fairly new misnomer here, however -- people used to know the difference . experts on outdoor cooking still rail about this horrendous misappropriation when interviewed.

soon they'll be calling Koolaid juice.
korgy wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:10 pm

Give it a rest, Korgy.

When I moved to LA from the East Coast 35 years ago it took me exactly four months (to the Fourth of July) to realize that EVERYONE in Los Angeles used "barbecueing" to mean "grilling", and no one knew from a "cookout".

In fact I can still remember a guy I worked with - an Indian from Trinidad - -asking another co-worker if he "barbequed" over the Fourth of July holiday.

That horse left the barn ages ago.
No subject on which I am called to speak is ever slighted, and if a moral lesson or a religious precept can be drawn from it, the opportunity is never allowed to pass unheeded. My constant aim is to elevate and instruct humanity.

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:46 am

Stan In Maryland wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:07 pm
I often make the entire meal, protein, veggie and starch on the grill.
What starches do you grill? I've limited myself to meat and veggies so far.
Things fall apart, it's scientific.

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:40 am

I've made grilled pizza. It was pretty good.
Flat breads usually turn out great too.

I don't get the 'no this is not a joke' bit. I own a grill too, and the food I eat is 90% vegetarian.

Also, you can make all sorts of vegetable dishes in these: