did you grow up cooking? why do you cook?

Killing the internets, one recipe at a time
gnd
Stew Ingredient

did you grow up cooking? why do you cook?

Post by gnd » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:55 pm

Context: always somewhat shocked hearing when someone thinks cooking is sexist or forced. I LOVE cooking, I love baking.

I cook because I love to (plus for other reasons, but mostly cuz I like to!)

I can not remember not knowing how to cook; we grew up helping from as young an age as we could help. Stirring, helping shop, whatever...a bit more...and more....
Taking advantage of what is not working to make changes in your life often leads to your greatest opportunities and accomplishments --GND

fiat77
Stew Ingredient

Re: did you grow up cooking? why do you cook?

Post by fiat77 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:03 pm

I grew up baking but not cooking meals. I cook now for a number of reasons, but I think the main reason is that it is relaxing. After a long day at work I enjoy pouring a glass of wine and spending some time preparing dinner. I also love researching new recipes and a cookbook is my favorite gift!
Maybe she’s born with it, maybe it’s lies. It’s probably lies.

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:17 pm

Because I like to eat. Eating restaurant food will make you fat and it is unhealthy if you do it all the time.
Also I have a family, good meals are necessary for children.

Truth is I don’t like cooking, it takes hours, makes me tired, there is mess, smells.

I do it because I am good at it( like most of the things I touch,really), and I make it tasty.

I like making sweets, baking. Because most baked products are the best fresh. Some I like warm. And again, lots of it I can customize to my own palate ( usually less sugar in deserts, maybe more almond or vanilla essence)
You only get one turn on this merry-go-round of life. Chase your happiness. -Nines

Iolar
Stew Ingredient

Post by Iolar » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:09 am

Also Poland doesn't really have restaurants. You have only recently stopped having to queue for bread. There was no way to eat out. Still isn't really.
I like big quotes and I cannot lie

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:31 am

And Leprechaun Michelin Man once again approaches the plate.

I don't cook.

I used to and I got bored with it. There are a couple of things I do well for holidays or special occasions.

Unwashed_Pom
Stew Ingredient

Post by Unwashed_Pom » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:48 am

I didn't know a thing re. cooking when I moved out of home. It wasn't until I went to sea full time, had access to unlimited seafood and subsequent shore time that I took an interest in cooking. I do all meals now as I like being in the kitchen preparing food and she absolutely loathes it. Works for us.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:25 am

Didn't really grow up cooking. Started learning on my own after I got my own place and had no money. Watched a lot of cooking shows, asked recipes while traveling, and tried a lot at home. Took me a few years to get the basics down.

I like cooking. Don't like cleaning so much but I never really cook for more than 2 or 3 people, so not a big deal. Plus the gf usually cleans if I cook, and I do the same for her.

fishface
Stew Ingredient

Post by fishface » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:14 am

No I didn't. That was left to my mum and brother. I wasn't ever a confident coocook d still struggle.

I enjoy cooking but I'm not particularly good at it. So nobody ever eats my food.

mishmish
Stew Ingredient

Post by mishmish » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:04 pm

I grew up in a single parent family, the oldest of three kids. Did not appreciate the slap-together meals served at home (mom always worked full time) and lusted after good stuff to eat, plus siblings were hungry, so I learned the basics pretty early on, and long before I left home.

Honestly, I really enjoy it, and often cook just because I found something interesting at the market to to try. However, I too hate to clean up, and it's also just too much bother to do both, so the mr. is in charge of that when I cook. I never learned to bake properly because I'm not similarly motivated by love for baked goods.

rezuar
Stew Ingredient

Post by rezuar » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:55 pm

I cook to feed my family. Sometimes I enjoy it, and sometimes, like in this weather, it’s a tedious chore.
My Mum always made me help her with preparing of meals so I learnt it wuite soon.
Keep an open mind but not so open your brain falls out.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:34 pm

Interesting because someone asked me the other day who taught me to cook. I don't really remember anyone teaching me to cook. My older sisters had to cook on days my mom worked, but being younger, and probably as a boy, I wasn't required to. I guess I started getting interested in cooking around 14 or so. My folks would sometimes go away for a weekend so I had to fend for myself. Made a couple of disasters but got me interested in cooking. My mom was a very good cook but not particularly adventurous. I have always enjoyed trying new foods and cooking new things.

Now I cook for a couple of reasons. Daily meals I cook most of the time out of self defense. My wife is a very good cook but a bit of a workaholic and if I left it to her we would be eating at 8 pm and it would probably be a bowl of cold cereal. I also cook because most of the time I enjoy it. Also, I think it is kind of one way I show love for people. I take pleasure in people enjoying what I make.

As to cleaning. When we were young one of my sisters would use every pot and bowl in the house so the rule became, if you cook you clean up. As a result I clean while I cook. By the time the meal is on the table most often all of the kitchen clean up is already done when I cook.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

ceylon_tea
Stew Ingredient

Post by ceylon_tea » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:33 pm

i didn't cook at all until I went to Uni and started living on my own. I suddenly had to learn to cook. I managed to learn it pretty quickly. I like cooking but not every day. I get husband to do most of the cooking. He's a good cook.

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:39 pm

yeah I usually clean up as I cook/bake.

Those savoiardi (Italian cookies/ladyfingers) I made, damn near got every thing in the kitchen dirty with no time to clean up til afterwards. Lots easier to clean up a bit at a time, than all at once! Very tasty cookies though, well worth making.

Agree, can be tedious to cook esp in the heat.

First time I´ve had and actually USED the dishwasher. Am def gonna miss that Gem of an Invention!
Taking advantage of what is not working to make changes in your life often leads to your greatest opportunities and accomplishments --GND

micvan
Stew Ingredient

Post by micvan » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:03 am

Only girl in a family of seven always had to help mom prep supper plus chief dishwasher. God the amount of dishes!! I used to get bored when I was little so mom would pull up a chair and I would " help" her make pies or cakes. Always made my own little pie and when I was about 8 starting baking cakes by myself. My family was pretty meat and potatoes though. Branched out when I left home. I'm a very organized cook all ingredients are premeasured and ready to go. I clean as I go. I do not like the spectre of mountains of dishes!!!

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:44 pm

wow yeah that must have been hellacious clean up duty micvan:/

aw cute, making pies:) My kids like that too (well they love cooking, baking anything:)

v talented you, baking cakes all by yourself that young!

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:34 pm

My mother and grandma were always 'cook from scratch' good cooks. I used to cook with my Grandma every time I visited (which was very often) from being a small child, so I probably learned basic techniques from her. My mum only really gave me the boring stuff like veg preparation to do, but she was a good cook, so I think a lot of the meals I cooked for the family were based on things she made.

But I'm not enthusiastic about meal preparation. I was happy to let my husband do most of the weeknight cooking (which fortunately he enjoyed as a wind-down after work).
I really struggle to get enthusiastic about cooking just for myself. By the time it's ready I've lost interest in it. I do enjoy making a meal alongside a friend though. Companionable cooking is nice.
Pass the wine...

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:25 pm

I am like leela- unenthusiastic about work in the kitchen.
You only get one turn on this merry-go-round of life. Chase your happiness. -Nines

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:07 pm

yeah, leela, I miss cooking for our kids. It was nice when Engineer and I, or Geek and I cooked together.

Cooking should be more about family.

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:09 pm

Nice u cooked with your grandma and mom, leela. Again, cooking is social. I liked in Italy helping make pastas with several generations; or when our kids were little and they and I got to cook with my mom.

micvan
Stew Ingredient

Post by micvan » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:05 pm

Yes it is fun cooking with someone! After George had his stroke and he went into rehab I used to bring him home on the weekend as part of his rehab some simple suppers and we would go grocery shopping for ingredients I would write out and he would have to read it and select the items. And then we would chop, sauté together. Gave him more confidence and I got more at ease at having him around the stove. In an unfortunate situation it was a break and brought us closer.

guruwil
vegemite flavored maple syrup

Post by guruwil » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:52 am

Yes I grew up cooking, helping at first and then cooking whole meals for the family from mid to late teenage years. I like cooking but tend not to do the day to day as Mrs G works part time and is home well before me so she does most of it. But I do like to do more complex cooking that takes more time which I do on the weekend. Things like making home made pasta or slow cooked meats, or even pickling and bottling vegetables etc. have even had a go at cheesemaking.
An it harm none, do what ye will

We are all Atheists about most gods, some of us just go one god further.
judik wrote:Guruwil was right!!!
jono_in_adelaide wrote:I think Guru is right on this one
“shunter” wrote: I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Guru is bang on the money here.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:38 pm

No but I did in my 20-30's in that I had a string of g/f's who couldn't cook, so in lieu of starvation I learned to.
Marge is trained and fucking excellent and I only get the steel eyed look of death if I even wander into the kitchen while she is cooking, unless I get an invite.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:51 pm

Mom used to involve us kids with baking, thinking we'd enjoy it and it would be a Mom and kids activity. I never liked it.

Then when I was about 10 or 11 I got interested in little bits of cooking. I always loooooved food and learning how to make things I liked to eat was interesting and fun. I didn't do much of it, though. Mom was a good and efficient cook so I was in the way more than anything. When I moved out I could make omelettes, spaghetti bologniase/or tomato sauce, and chilli con/sin carne.

Gradually taught myself over the years and had a larger repertoire by the time I was 30. After moving in with Mr_S when I was about 33 I started teaching myself more cuisines and more techniques.

I really like cooking. it's a creative outlet, it's a way of taking care of those I love, and it makes food that I really, really like to eat.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot